Does anyone play SWOS here ?

CapoXBoss

Banned
30 August 2012
United States
Question is simple, does anyone play the best football game ever made :COOL:

I took a break from Sensible World Of Soccer but just yesterday installed SWOS Total-Pack with all recent transfers, chants, new pitches and many other mods ? Playing on 47' Samsung LED. The gameplay will NEVER EVER be matched to this amazing masterpiece!

Where is the inertia/momentum? The camera angle sucks and they haven't got Nasris haircut right either :ROLL:

For some of you newer and younger players check out this video

YouTube - Sensible World of Soccer - Promotion Video

Sensible Soccer proves that you don't need a stack of controls or photo-realistic players to make a great soccer game. Indeed, it still holds up incredibly well eighteen-years later. We wonder if the same thing will be said about the latest PES and FIFA in 2028?

There is SWOS community that is bigger than PES and FIFA put together.

that takes me back,ive still the original megadrive cartridge here,never played the amiga or pc game. musthave a look at getting it sorted

I still play SWOS quite often on my Amiga emulator, I do have the PC version lying around but didn't like the PC version that much just didn't match the amiga version.

I tried to get people from work to play but 20 year olds these days couldn't get used to it as tbh it is incredibly difficult to pick up and play and get used to.
They didn't like it either that I beat them about 10-0 everytime.

But IMO it is and still is the greatest football game ever made. Much much better than anything available these days. Well you could debate they are more of a simulation these days but nothing was ever as much fun as Sensi, and I still play it even today.

I used to love it, spent so many hours on SWOS probably more hours than any other football game to date. I was completely addicted to it.

But to say it still holds up well today isn't true imo, I downloaded it on my xbox a few years ago, played a couple of games hoping to get the feel for it again. But it really isn't a patch on Fifa/PES the games have just gone to another level.

But it is really nice to see people still keeping it alive with updated teams and commentary :)) I still have my Amiga game somewhere I think with the big box it came in :)) happy memories!

For those of you that would like the taste of this beautiful game here's what you can do:

sensiblesoccer.de is the largest SWOS community. It has thousands of players around the world. You can go and register on their forums. After that you'll see the link where you can get SWOS TOTAL PACK for your pc. A file that is 100mb. It has a custom launcher and DOSBOX is included with the package. Simply extract the file and run it. Once you run the game it has a built in auto update that will update you with the most current transfers, chants, new pitches, and bunch of other cool things like custom commentary by Andy Grey and other features. You can also play this game ONLINE and there are leagues worldwide.

I was borderline addicted to SWOS back in the day, and the original Sensible Soccer before it. Such fantastic games. Its brilliance was its simplicity. One button control system that still allowed plenty of expression of play. It was an easy game to pick up but required plenty of time to master. The thing that always stood out with SWOS was how the ball wasn't glued to the player's feet when dribbling, something not seen in football games before or since.

As much as I loved the game, it had its day once the likes of ISS moved into the 3D era on the PS1. There's no way I'd go back to playing it again. Football games have moved on, for better or for worse.

Check out this thread:
http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/index.php?topic=4199.0

thats all you need to know. Look on page 42 how to solve an issue with false malware that anti virus detects. You simply run the game from the launcher folder found in for example c:\program files x86\PC-SWOS-TOTAL-PACK once your in the total pack folder look for another folder that says Launcher and run the game from there. You can also copy/paste the launcher.exe from there to your desktop.

This game HAS IT ALL FOLKS. Any league any national team any club team with 100% correct names transfers and chants.

Find me all this for PES or FIFA ?

Check out this thread:
http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/index.php?topic=4199.0

thats all you need to know. Look on page 42 how to solve an issue with false malware that anti virus detects. You simply run the game from the launcher folder found in for example c:\program files x86\PC-SWOS-TOTAL-PACK once your in the total pack folder look for another folder that says Launcher and run the game from there. You can also copy/paste the launcher.exe from there to your desktop.

This game HAS IT ALL FOLKS. Any league any national team any club team with 100% correct names transfers and chants.

Find me all this for PES or FIFA ?

This >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JCZZ7HBOc-I

Or this >>> YouTube - FIFA 13 | Gamescom 2012 Trailer

video game football has moved on. It's great to reminisce but if you ever actually go back and play these old games, they have always aged very badly and are best left as you remembered them.

This >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JCZZ7HBOc-I

Or this >>> YouTube - FIFA 13 | Gamescom 2012 Trailer

video game football has moved on. It's great to reminisce but if you ever actually go back and play these old games, they have always aged very badly and are best left as you remembered them.

LOL :LMAO: I'm a die hard PES fan and always will be but even PES cannot come close to what SWOS brought to the table. SWOS is not for everyone. Today people want shiny new boots, realistic animations, fluid movement but like great Dino Dino once said PES/WE never gave you a total control and freedom like SWOS gave you. SWOS is a different game than PES/WE and even after 18 years it still has bigger player community than PES/WE and FIFA combined. What does this tell you ? PES5/Winning Eleven 9 Liveware Evolution (KOREA) With ISS98/2000 are the best titles Konami ever made. And how many players currently play this game ? Or make updates, patches etc... Maybe 500-1000 in the entire World. But, SWOS has been out for 18 years now and still has the gameplay that PES/WE and FIFA will never achieve. We are talking about a game that is 18 YEARS OLD :OH:and even after 18 years NO FOOTBALL game has been able to have every club and national team, every league, manager mode, player-manager mode ..etc... SWOS got all this 18 yrs ago.

So what happened to the football gaming ? It wen't 3D. These new gaming producers assumed 3D would take them into reality. Well it did but VISUALLY not mentally. SWOS might not be a match you see on TV with little footballers running around, but to this day it offers FUN and addiction like heroin.

There is a reason why SWOS is top 10 game EVER MADE which Im sure PES/FIFA will never reach.

SWOS legacy will always live on and will never die. Unfortunately I can't say the same for PES/FIFA.

This is coming from a Konami fan who lived and breathe PES/WE on N64 and PS2.

Yeah but, come on.

I loved Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix back in the Amiga days - almost to a sexual level - but it simply doesn't stand up against the racing sims of today. It's a ridiculously dated and simplistic piece of shit compared to modern standards.

Same with SWOS. Things move on.

Yeah but, come on.

I loved Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix back in the Amiga days - almost to a sexual level - but it simply doesn't stand up against the racing sims of today. It's a ridiculously dated and simplistic piece of shit compared to modern standards.

Same with SWOS. Things move on.

You can't compare racing games to football games. Two completely different things. Answer me this. 18 years after SWOS release, it still has more players ONLINE and bigger community than PES/WE/FIFA COMBINED together ? How is this possible ? So all these people have no clue I guess, right ? :CONF:

Let's take Counter Strike for example. CS 1.6 is the best FPS of all times. And after so many years it still is better than any FPS released today. And CS 1.6 has more online players than COD/BF3/PES/WE/FIFA COMBINED together. You can verify this with Steam.

Some games are meant to never die unfortunately. SWOS is one of them.

You can't compare racing games to football games.

I'm not comparing them against each other, more making the point that within any genre things have moved on dramatically since the early nineties. Gaming as a whole has moved on dramatically.

Sure, SWOS still has a large and dedicated following but these days it is simply an arcade kickabout by people wishing to reminisce of simpler times. To say that it can rival any football game from the past 10 years or more for gameplay depth is nonsense.

Put it this way - nobody under the age of 30 is going to play SWOS these says. It doesn't have much appeal to anyone other than those who were 'there' the first time around.

Last edited:
I'm not comparing them against each other, more making the point that within any genre things have moved on dramatically since the early nineties. Gaming as a whole has moved on dramatically.

Sure, SWOS still has a large and dedicated following but these days it is simply an arcade kickabout by people wishing to reminisce of simpler times. To say that it can rival any football game from the past 10 years or more for gameplay depth is nonsense.

Put it this way - nobody under the age of 30 is going to play SWOS these says. It doesn't have much appeal to anyone other than those who were 'there' the first time around.

Actually you're wrong. There are plenty younger players playing SWOS if not more than older players. You really think 30yrs old men have time to modify SWOS the way its been modified EVERY MONTH. There was just a total-pack made with custom commentaries, chants, up to date transfers ..etc.. so I don't think men that should have kids and are married will leave their wife and kids to make patches ? If you do some research and see SWOS world competitions you will see players rank mostly by late teens/early and mid 20's.

It's ok to move on, as it should be but we should have this debate if PES/WE reach a level that SWOS reached. It was voted by PC Gameing companies the best PC game ever, and to this day it gets 10/10 score. Even Seabass mentioned somewhere in Famitsu mag and he clearly states something like this:

SWOS is the "GODFATHER" of football games and will never be duplicated.

This came from Seabass the DON of pes/we.

"The best football game ever made" is a very subjective statement and only relavant to the indidul who believes this.

There is no 'best ever' game of any type... we either enjoy to play a game or not.

You choose to play and enjoy SWOS, that's great!! I choose not to...

USED to play SWOS. Went back a couple of years ago for a bit of nostalgia... but as Jamezinho says time moves on.

I always LOVED Geoff Crammond's GP Series from the original GP up to GP4 but I tried playing GP4 again the other day and it feels terrible in comparison to newer games.

I still play SWOS now, but other games at the time ISS on the SNES I also used to play but they are shit now and don't play a very good game.

SWOS is still incredibly addictive and great fun even today.

As for PS1 titles again they are shit these days, but you could even argue though about modern day football games with static players in FIFA who don't make runs and wait for the ball to play come to them, and are now a trick fest.

But the problem is no football game is a realistic sim it just matters how fun they are to play.

As for racing games yes GP1 is really poor these days and to some extent GP4 is now not holding up well. But GP4 still is a much better representation of F1 than F1 2011. But these are still nothing in the sim stakes compared to Simbin games.

But in terms of gameplay and how they were at the time for me SWOS is the greatest football game ever made and for Jamezinho for me GP2 was the greatest racing game ever made.
Also Scutch is correct Cannon Fodder was the greastest intro of all time. WAR - NEVER BEEN SO MUCH FUN!!

Also the XBOX version was really shit.

Last edited:
Yeah the xbox version was crap, mainly because you couldn't have proper player names and it just didn't feel right playing on the xbox controller.

I used to plug my old master system controller into my Amiga and play it with that, it worked a treat.

I would say it is probably my favorite all time computer game. It gave me a lot of joy back in the day and as I said I probably put more hours into it than any other game I have played ever.

In the winter I could easily play it for whole weekends, with my Led zeppelin cd box set playing in the back ground :DD

So in that respects of course no other game can touch it, but as a football game to compare it to other football games now it is just not good to do that.

But if you didn't have SWOS then football games would never have evolved in the same way imo, SWOS was a big leap for me.

Yeah I'd probably go along with SWOS being my all time favourite computer game (pre-console). It was either that or Championship Manager 93 onward into CM2 etc.

Also Scutch is correct Cannon Fodder was the greastest intro of all time. WAR - NEVER BEEN SO MUCH FUN!!

The thing that got me with Cannon Fodder was how incredibly attached I would become to my squad members. They all had names and when they died it was genuinely sad, especially if you had made it through many levels with the same crew. You had the hill in the background of the main menu with all the grave headstones of your fallen soldiers.

That was a great touch, which countered all the claims at the time that the game glamourised war. Far from it.

This is gonna sound really 'old man' of me, but the best thing about SWOS/Sensi was the way you had to use your imagination a lot.

Now days, with HD sims like FIFA/PES, pretty much what happens on screen, happens in real life - whether its animations, faces, kits, stadiums etc - its all very realistic.

Sensi wasnt like that, but yet still you could immerse yourself in it - and (maybe this was just my level of addiction where I could play through a few seasons per day!) but the players started to look (and play) like there real life counterparts.

Impossible of course as there were 2 skin colours and 3 hair colours and that was that - but for a split second the player looked/played like Gullit or Hoddle etc in your head.

Amazing.

Sensi set the standard, but SWOS was THE game. Probably my favourite game of all time and most likely my most played. The feeling of managing a lower league team and having success, then moving to a new team in a new country, then again, then moving back to the UK, then getting an international job etc etc... amazing!

This is gonna sound really 'old man' of me, but the best thing about SWOS/Sensi was the way you had to use your imagination a lot.
I was listening to the Football Manager 2013 podcast and the word "imagination" came up a lot. I think it's absolutely key, and the more we're given representations of certain things, the more unrealistic something becomes (with the technology we have now anyway).

I love the 3D match engine in FM but I'll be the first to admit that you're taken out of the experience every time an animation skips or jumps or resets in the middle (which is going to happen with something as wonderfully complex as their match engine). Hence why I've found myself addicted to the Android version of late.

I think imagination is hugely important, and as excited as I am about the new FIFA and PES, that feeling of playing SWOS with (what seemed like) every player in the world, the management options, the career you could have... That feeling will never be replaced for me, because it was the first time you could really do that (or the first I knew of it at least). Games for me at that time were pick-up-and-play stuff. This was exciting AND had longevity.

Nothing will replace that feeling of SWOS for me, purely because of the time of my life that I played it, but the newer games bring back bits of it, and bits of that feeling of pure unadulterated fun (with the emphasis on "unadult" - that's what we all want to be on some level, we want to become "unadulted" again).

There's a great article about retro gaming on Eurogamer today actually and I totally agree with all of it: CLICK HERE

"The best football game ever made" is a very subjective statement and only relavant to the indidul who believes this.

There is no 'best ever' game of any type... we either enjoy to play a game or not.

You choose to play and enjoy SWOS, that's great!! I choose not to...

When PES/WE/FIFA reach 10 best games of all times ...then talk to me son :FAIL:

Glad to see all you think like me :). SWOS will never ever DIE, and that is a fact. I'm glad to see PES improving and I hope KONAMI reach even higher level on next gen consoles than they did with on PS2. But SWOS is KING of all KINGS!

Back
Top Bottom