Destiny PS4/XB1/PS3/X360

Honestly i think the industry would be much better if the reviews only were published one week after the game is released so it doesn´t have influence the sales of the game. The way reviews are today is just killing the whole industry since it can be used to manipulate the customres the way the games companies want.

The latest example is NHL and the review embargo of the game fearing low scores because of the lacking of game modes and features on it. Also the same EA will, for sure, allow the reviews of Fifa one week early since they know there will be 9´s and 10´s floating all around the internet. They even have the audacity of printing reviews scores on the cover of games to sell more. That´s acceptable for a later year "complete edition" or "game of the year edition", but not on release.

It would be excellent, but much of the function of reviews is not to be truthful but rather to work in tandem with the hype already created. They are malicious in a way but it's just the very old media practice of buying into what people want to read about. I'd wager that the majority of people who read reviews go in with an agenda already (whether for or against) and as such reviews of games won't function autonomous to the reader's expectations. I don't think writers and their editors are very strong-minded in their critical thinking; they are very easily influenced by other things (ie readership, pressure from publishers) whether they're willingly choosing to be or not.

And yes it's very sad, but you don't have to buy games until a week after they're out for a start and then if you want to read reviews there are various independent places which, like you, only review their own bought copies. Finding them is a bit of a pain, but they're out there man. Avoid gamefaqs.

That's a rather cynical view of things. And not that accurate considering Destiny is getting some pretty poor reviews by big sites. Gamespot gave it a 6 which is about as bad as it gets for a game of this size.

I was never really into Halo but I'm enjoying this so far. I think most of the criticisms out there are valid though (the lack of a deep narrative is such a lost opportunity), but the parts of the game that Bungie have done well, they've done really well.

Thanks

Ill grab this later on then when it's cheaper.

MJ,
Just saw your invitation on destiny as we were about to leave the house. I'd have jumped on it any other time but was just sat playing FIFA waiting for the kids to get ready. Sorry :(

No worries mate. If you're online and want to team up send us an invite, I've pretty much sold all my ps4 games after completing them so will more than likely be playing Destiny if I'm online.

I assume I'm about 75% of the way through the campaign mode of the game (based the number of locations I think are available) and while Destiny has some pretty good moments, I don't see this game holding my interest for too long.

I won't give a long review as I'm sure quite a few will hit the internet today from the gaming review sites, but as someone who plays a lot of FPS games, Destiny just seems to be good, not great.

Destiny is a game that misses it's potential, because the production values are amazing, and so much of each area looks like it should be interesting. The problem is, for all the suggestions that there is more to the experience, there is never any reason to go exploring. That menacing looking cave?... empty. That hidden room full of high level enemies?... no reward. Over and over again there is a promise of some fun challenge which never arrives. There is no reason to stray from your objective... which I thought would be one of the best things about the game.

Instead, the game play is mostly fighting waves and waves of respawning enemies until the area is "clear" to move on to the next one. And while I realize that this describes a lot of FPS games, the AAA games typically hide the obviousness of the mechanic behind a wall of engaging story or scripted events, or SOMETHING.

However, the big positive for me is that I enjoy the combat, and that goes a long way. It does take quite a while for the combat abilities to unlock (At least 2-3 hours before you get all your abilities) but once it does, the combat feels a lot like a first person Mass Effect 3 (which I adore for it's combat) with a constant mix of light guns, heavy guns, grenades, super powers, flanking, running, jumping, sliding, teleporting, levitating, etc. BUT, it does take a pretty heavy investment (Probably the entire first planet of the game) to even unlock all the things that make the game fun.

Pretty much a perfect summary of my thoughts!

First 'big' site review (I think) of Destiny is in from Polygon who give it a "6" which is quite damning for $500m of development!

I'm still not sure what to think, its a weird one.

The story is bokum, but I dont really care for stories in games much, so I can overlook that. I think the actual package as a whole is really poor insomuch as nothing is explained properly, the UI makes no sense half the time and I have a constant feeling that I'm missing something...

But in the game, I do really enjoy the action and RPG side of things on the ground. So I dont know what the think overall. Its not the "10" Bungie hyped it to be, but its better than a 6 I think! I'll sit it around "7.5" for now!

I think Eaton pretty much nailed it. The vast emptiness of the gameworld is just soul destroying. Nothing to do, nothing to explore. Why even bother adding those caves if they contain nothing? Are they just there as a portal to hide the game spawning more enemies so they come running out?

I think its an unfinished game still and they could probably throw out big updates that add things that make use of the caves and give us reasons to explore. They just needed to claw back some money and so finished up what they had ready to go.

I find the competitive mp lackluster also. I want to like it, but its just shotguns = win. Ruins it.

I think if they add more side missions, make that more varied side missions. Then added sandbox elements like hidden loot, random npc missions like in red dead. It would give you a reason to just play in the world and lose yourself.
And one huge update the game desperately needs is more social elements. I want notifications of what friends are doing, if a friend cones online they should be able to join my world by default without having to go searching for me. Clans and groups also need an in game section.
Id also like to see challenges like battlefield has were they reward the community for achieving a big goal like killing so many of x.

Pretty much anything would help.

Last edited:
I have to agree. I think it's a solid 7.5 - but from what I've read it's supposed to be really good 'end-game' post level 24. The story, the game mechanics and levelling all come together for an epic battle. I don't know whether many will stick it out and grind to that level. I know many gave up on Borderlands as it did feel like a slog towards the end with the mandatory grinding to level up.

This game really shines in COOP. I really hope it keeps my attention long enough to stick it out given the vast amount of games coming out over the next few weeks/months.

Cant help but really like this game despite its faults!

Jumped on last night and went to the moon for the first time (I'm only level 8 lulz) and though the 'spawn till clear' mechanic is a cheap one, I quite like it on Destiny as you really have to run for your life sometimes and take cover.

Also got a load of rewards after first moon mission as I'd been leveling up, completing tasks for people etc, so got some much better gear for my next trip!

Oh yea, wtf is the Crucible all about?!

(Ok, I get its MP!)

But I started that up for the first time and was in a room full of 20+ level Guardians (I was level 6) and obviously I got totally raped.

Shouldnt this have some sort of level cap on, or is it designed to only be played once you have leveled up to the highest?

In the crucible no matter what level you are you have the same stats, strength etc

However, the gear you use depends on what you find in the campaign and have equipped - you get better armour as you earn more crucible experience and buy stuff from the trader.

This game definitively opens up as you go past level 20, as most of the decent gear you buy for the crucible is level 20+

I have to agree. I think it's a solid 7.5 - but from what I've read it's supposed to be really good 'end-game' post level 24. The story, the game mechanics and levelling all come together for an epic battle. I don't know whether many will stick it out and grind to that level. I know many gave up on Borderlands as it did feel like a slog towards the end with the mandatory grinding to level up.

This game really shines in COOP. I really hope it keeps my attention long enough to stick it out given the vast amount of games coming out over the next few weeks/months.

Why do you think the game shines in co-op?

I played a couple story missions with some random from my clan and I don't get what all the fuss is about. I like when playing alone that I can play at my own pace, and soak up what atmosphere and little story there is, whereas it seems when playing with others we race through the missions and it all becomes a blur.

In the crucible no matter what level you are you have the same stats, strength etc

However, the gear you use depends on what you find in the campaign and have equipped - you get better armour as you earn more crucible experience and buy stuff from the trader.

This game definitively opens up as you go past level 20, as most of the decent gear you buy for the crucible is level 20+

Are you sure you keep all the stats of your gear?

I went into the crucible at level 6 and got totally pawned. It was humiliating.

I wasn't sure if I've just gotten that bad at FPS multiplayer, which I guess is a possibility since it's been years since I was heavily into it, or if it was because of stat/level differences. It certainly felt like the latter, as it seemed like I was close to being one-shotted at times.

Why do you think the game shines in co-op?

I played a couple story missions with some random from my clan and I don't get what all the fuss is about. I like when playing alone that I can play at my own pace, and soak up what atmosphere and little story there is, whereas it seems when playing with others we race through the missions and it all becomes a blur.

I totally agree.I was playing with a friend and all he did was going through as fast as he without looting or wondering.It was fast eenough that I was bored and lost. While playing it alone with random ppl dropping in esp patrol mission is enjoyable .
I'm now level 15.Finished 1st mission on Venus still to do more.

I wasn't sure if I've just gotten that bad at FPS multiplayer, which I guess is a possibility since it's been years since I was heavily into it, or if it was because of stat/level differences. It certainly felt like the latter, as it seemed like I was close to being one-shotted at times.

Exactly my experience!

I was getting one-shotted all the time. Was constant spawn/die/spawn/die sometimes within seconds, was just a nightmare for 10 minutes and probably wont waste my time with it again.

Yet again, another example of the game not explaining anything to you. Its really infuriating!

Everyone has the same stats, it says levelling has no effect on the details screen of the crucible. I'm pretty sure you keep your guns though as I've always had the guns I'm using in the campaign. You get special armour and upgrades from the trader though, which most level 20+ have that why they have shields and seem better overall.

I'd say it shines in COOP as it's rather dull doing it all on your own. The best moments I've had with game came from playing with friends it makes it less of chore when you're doing similar missions over and over again.

Yeah, I don't know how multiplayer works exactly, though I went back into the crucible at level 10 and this time I more than held my own. Whereas before I regularly finished last on my team, this time I always finished in the middle. Maybe better guns and armor explains it?

Regards to co-op, I've enjoyed the strike missions but I find playing the actual story missions to be better solo. If I had real friends and not just randoms playing with me, it might be different.

Overall, though there's some pretty darn big flaws with Destiny, I keep playing it and keep enjoying it. Kinda reminds me of FIFA in that, ha.

Must say, not really gonna have time to really play this just now so gonna trade it in, enjoyed what little i have played, just requires more time than i can put in. If anyone wants it before trade it in, message me, it's for the PS4.

Think a journo on Polygon has summed up Destiny (for me anyways) perfectly;

"Destiny is a mediocre game with a lot of problems, and I can't stop playing", in fact, after reading this I feel it could actually have been written by ME!

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/16/6153843/destiny-bungie-fun-but-flawed

The perfect game to jump in when you dont have time for gaming - so you know if you grab an hour of Destiny before bed, you are gonna get great gun fights, some loot, level up a bit and advance a story before polishing off with a round or two of multiplayer.

It all feels connected to a personal goal, even if the game itself is very disjointed.

Last edited:
I've hit level 20 and I think I get it now. Going out on patrol or a strike and seeing rank 13 people struggling. I get to be their saviour as someone else was to me earlier. Then we zoom off on patrol together and one of those random missions kicks in and as we're doing it and it starts getting hard over comes a rank 23 wiping out half the enemies.
Then the 3 of us finish the mission, collect the loot, salute each other (or have a dance off) and then go our separate ways.

I love it.

I was doing some farming last night with 2 others when out of nowhere a message came up saying something like 'the enemy approaches'. Out of nowhere wizards and all sorts came flooding in from our right to attack the err... I cant recall the name of the race but the ones with the hive. So this huge battle kicks off with us in the middle trying to scurry away reviving each other and then trying to regroup and join in.

Again, loved it.

I've just read on euro gamer that bungi have increased how often public events happen so hopefully we'll get to experience a more alive world now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom