Demons Souls (PS3)

Thanks for the responses guys. I will definitely get this one after completing a few games I still haven't touched.

Finished it today! Good ending for a superb game. And the best of all, as soon as it ends, you can begin a new game (call it new game +) with your leveled character and all your items. The only bad thing is all your enemies are even tougher and it's as difficult as the first time.

Just a great experience and my gotty of 2009 by a large margin.

I ended the game at soul level 80, now playing it all again to find all those secrets and weapons I missed the first time. And trying new techniques for the bosses too. I might want to start again from scratch with a different class.

I'm right in the middle of my secondth play through this game and...

Seriously, how wickedly addictive is this game? I thought it to be the best game of 2009, but right now I think is one of the BEST games I've ever played, and I play games since 30 years ago...

Seriously, definitely, you who reads this... please, at least try it. You can't miss this absolute work of art. Gameplay-wise, the best I've played in a long long time. It's breathtaking as Shadow of the Colossus, ridiculously long as any FF game and original as few can be, varied in items and weapons as any rpg game can be... and this variety is carried to how actually you play it. It's very different to play an agile thief always trying to backstab than playing a knight entirely covered in metal with a long sword. One of the few games that managed to put this to work right.

Only drawback is being killed now and then by greedy players who invade your world (but you get over it) and the lack of more depth in story, specially in character dialogues. But then it would have been the best game ever.

I bow down to the creators of this. I bow down to games that think different. I am simply amazed and for the first time in a long long time, GLAD to have a game to play even if I already finished it.

Take into consideration, I may start invading as a black phantom with my next new character, a shadowy thief.

Last edited:
I bought the game ages ago from the US, but I havent been able to defeat the second boss who I think is called Tower Knight or something like that. Im going to start it again from the beginning next week.

I bought the game ages ago from the US, but I havent been able to defeat the second boss who I think is called Tower Knight or something like that. Im going to start it again from the beginning next week.

It´s not that hard, you just need to be strongh enought and have lots of healing grass! Just hit on his heels and he will fall down. When he´s on the floor hits him hard!

You can also summon someone to help you, that's how I beated him (Tower Knight and Penetrator are the two bosses I killed with companion helping me, I prefered to kill the rest alone.

Note that once you defeat the first boss, you will be able to travel to all the worlds and the 1st level of all of them is quite easy and would serve you to farm your soul level. Don't hesitate now and then to track back a given level if you accumulated a lot of souls and are unsure of beating the last foes. I did it now and then to level up my character.

this is great news - i thought about impoting this game, but as the usk already rated this game, a european release seems not be so far away and i will wait for a german version :)

Finally forced myself to play this this morning instead of my usual games I reach for and glad I did. Made my own character and got through the tutorial. The first thing I noticed and really got a kick out of was seeing the ghostly images of the other players running around, that's really cool.

Once past the tutorial stage I went and spoke to the NPC guy who then told me to touch the wall. I thought I'd wander around first and check the area out and I came across a few messages on the floor... mostly crap. Then I found a pool of blood and touched it and saw some guy sprinting up the stairs and then he attempted to step off the stairs to land on this ledge to read a message and had missed and fell to his death. Again very cool.

Using that info I made the drop correctly and read the message (total waste of time) and then made my way to the wall.

Saw the cut scene and read a message telling me just to run forwards. So I ran all the way to the end and then found myself surrounded by about 8 bad guys. Ah crap. Defeated them pretty easily and then stood around watching the other players ghosts fight and die.

From there I've just been making my way around the level reading messages and exploring. I've jut got up to a message that says 'beware the foes ahead'.... so I turned the corner and they had fire bombs. I threw one of my own back at them and took both men out in 1 shot. Decided I best leave a message on the stairs before that to say 'use fire' as that was more helpful that 'beware them'.

I went through the fog there and then quit ready to come back later.

A lot of fun so far.

Glad to know you're liking. It's crucial to advance with caution and never loose the fear, because you will die lots of times. But you will learn and the satisfaction you get when ending a level is a pinacle of videogames.

The messages of other players are of great importance, but sometimes a little misleading. It's great that you never know 100% accurate if you're being lead to a trap. You're a small foe in a big world. Never forget this.

It's also crucial how you develop your character. Stats are VERY important to the way you will play. If you have an agile player, up his dexterity and it will pay off a lot. And it's commonly accepted that Magic is much better than Miracles (which I found pretty useless).

Have fun and good luck!

I managed to kill the first boss last night at midnight. I think I started the level at 10pm and with all the dying and cautious advancing it took me ages to get through.

I died a lot but I bet you I died at the same spots everyone else died at. Well I'm past the first boss so this is spoilers for everything before that..

My first death was against the blue knight that's at the top of the stairs that the boulder comes rolling down. 2nd death was when I ran to get my blood spot back, just as I got it I couldn't see a damn thing with all the text around and he got a lucky hit in from behind and killed me again. On the 3rd attempt I ran past the guy so he'd chase me, then I doubled back to get my blood spot... then I got ready for the knight and took my time, had my shield up all of the battle and just kept avoiding and waiting for a chance. He eventually attacked and I got around his back, stabbed him in the back and then went mental attacking as he got up. The feeling of accomplishment was insane. He was just 1 knight, but it felt like I'd killed off a difficult boss or something.

Past him I found an area where there were some boulders behind a wooden fence. Thinking on my toes I attacked the wood and they broke free and rolled down the path killing all of the enemies. I quickly left a message for others to do the same (well as best I could and while being cryptic... so I left 'think hard' or something like that.

Anyway past that area there are 2 guys on your left... if you go past them there are 2 giant dragons on a hill. well the text on the floor said 'KEEP GOING' so I did and the dragon toasted me to death. So I had to do it ALL AGAIN in soul form and this time sprinted at the dragons, got my blood and then as I ran back away they toasted me again. Repeat another time and i managed to get away alive this time... back to the bridge area and that dragon took most of them out and i ran pulled the level and the large gate opened for the boss battle.

Clearly I'm not supposed to go anywhere near that area yet.

The boss battle was also quite easy as someone left a message saying 'use fire' so I used one of the items I had that gave my weapon flames and I just went crazy hacking and then running, healing, hacking, running healing, hacking and then eventually it fell.

-

Past that there is the long walk across the castle walls with the dragon flying overhead burning you/the enemy. I've managed to get right to the end of that now where there are 2 blue knights and twice I've died there. The first time quite far in and the 2nd time a bit further out so I think I lost my chance to reclaim my souls there... I'm not sure. I thought you had 1 chance to reclaim but i read you get 2 chances so im not sure.

But that's where I am currently. It's bloody hard, but also a piece of piss once you get past an area and know it like the back of your hand. When I'd died and had to redo an area I found I was zooming through it and taking guys out with ease. It's just the unknown areas where fear gets in the way and I end up making a mistake and eating dirt because of it.

Last edited:
Great post, Kradiation, it summs up the whole game very well. There's nothing you can compare this game to, the feeling of reward is great and the fear to loose all your souls is mantained through the whole game. You're up for a long ride, though, and if you are loving it that far, wait for the world to "open"...

I have this game on pre-order. A quick question to those who are also considering getting it, are you guys going for the Platinum trophy? It's more than doable as all of trophies are offline, but it may be worth getting a weapon trading thread going as I hear some weapons are very rare and difficult to get a hold of. I don't mind sharing my spoils.

THIS GAME IS FOOKING FUCK HARD!

I spent ages trying to get across a castle wall type thing without being burned alive by the dragon's and kill the guys at the very end. Either the Dragon would get me or the guys would get me... but eventually I got past it all alive. I think it took me maybe 7 or 8 attempts just to walk across a frigging wall that really you could run across if it was empty in seconds.

So what's beyond that foggy section at the end that all this was for?

Only a fucking HUGE guy with a gigantic shield, a sword that fires a lightning style bolt at you and can kill you with 1 or 2 hits. I found his weak spots thanks to a message left on the floor.... But it's of no use to me because to get at it - you leave yourself open to him squashing you and instant killing you.

From what I gather I'm supposed to do this later in the game after farming the first level and maybe some other areas upgrading myself. I was contemplating buying a ton of arrows and trying to shoot that dragon down somehow.... it might be worth a try, and is that Dragon one of the 2 that were on the hill that killed me earlier in the game? I wonder if taking it out here opens that up to a revisit?

It would have been nice to at least get a hint that I'm to do this but I guess the beauty of this game is you figure it out yourself and feel so much better for doing so when you eventually return to a troublesome area and wipe the floor with everyone.

-

I have no idea if I'll do the platinum. Looking at some of the trophies, it looks like it will take a long time and the real stinker is save files are locked so you can't even make a back up just in case the worst happens.

Last edited:
Lol Radiation! That boss, Tower Knight, is exactly the point at which I got stuck at. I got the game back in November and since then its just been lying in my PS3 pile as I kept on dying. I promised myself I would go back to it to complete it since everyone was going on about how great a game it is, but with Heavy Rain and all the others I just havent had the time.

To kill the tower knight you can consume an item to get on body form and ask for help to 1 or 2 guys. It's way easier that way I promise :SMUG:

In fact, the game si so hard that asking for help in critical points is much appreciated. I did it for 2 or 3 bosses. And felt great playing with complete strangers helping each other.

And first you may got up and kill the guards. If you're up you can kill the boss, only take care of his soul energy attacks and carry TONS of arrows (that's a must for most bosses if you're not a VERY strong character).

Stonefang tunnels is quite easy compared to other levels, so you can level up. Just don't quit the game and persist. The reward is so so great you won't forget it.

About the wall sections where the dragon goes. Just wait the dragon to kill all the guards OR find the alternate route that goes behind the wall. It's full of traps but it's way easier. Plus, you find a merchant in the way. Just be careful with the wolves.

THIS GAME IS FOOKING FUCK HARD!

I spent ages trying to get across a castle wall type thing without being burned alive by the dragon's and kill the guys at the very end. Either the Dragon would get me or the guys would get me... but eventually I got past it all alive. I think it took me maybe 7 or 8 attempts just to walk across a frigging wall that really you could run across if it was empty in seconds.

So what's beyond that foggy section at the end that all this was for?

Only a fucking HUGE guy with a gigantic shield, a sword that fires a lightning style bolt at you and can kill you with 1 or 2 hits. I found his weak spots thanks to a message left on the floor.... But it's of no use to me because to get at it - you leave yourself open to him squashing you and instant killing you.

From what I gather I'm supposed to do this later in the game after farming the first level and maybe some other areas upgrading myself. I was contemplating buying a ton of arrows and trying to shoot that dragon down somehow.... it might be worth a try, and is that Dragon one of the 2 that were on the hill that killed me earlier in the game? I wonder if taking it out here opens that up to a revisit?

It would have been nice to at least get a hint that I'm to do this but I guess the beauty of this game is you figure it out yourself and feel so much better for doing so when you eventually return to a troublesome area and wipe the floor with everyone.

-

I have no idea if I'll do the platinum. Looking at some of the trophies, it looks like it will take a long time and the real stinker is save files are locked so you can't even make a back up just in case the worst happens.

if you've not got one already get yourself a bow and buy a load of arrows, i'd recommend going into 4-1 and finding the long compound bow which can later be upgraded to the best bow in the game, you can kill the dragon that flies over the walls, stand on the first tower looking back towards the first area of the game and go into aim mode (L1) and wait for it to swoop down, don't bother locking on as you don't get enough time so just find the best place to hit it and fire 1 arrow each time it swoops, it's difficult to tell if you're doing any damage as it's hard to see it's health meter as it only pops up for a few seconds plus the screen will shake a little as it breathes fire, depending on your stats it will probably take you around 45 minutes and 2-300 arrows to kill it (on my 2nd playthrough it only took me 10 minutes or so and around 100 heavy arrows) but you'll get a soul from it which will give you 10,000 souls when consumed, also you can now go to the area where the 2 dragons are roosting and get the purple flame shield and a ring (can't remember which one)

for the tower knight the easiest way i've found is to run up onto the ramparts and kill all the guards first then go up near to the bit above where you enter the area, there's like a double flight of steps where you go up a few steps then turn and go up the 2nd flight, stand on the 2nd flight and equip a bow and lock onto the tower knight, as he starts to raise his shield fire an arrow, you have to time this right as too early and it'll hit his shield, too late and you'll lose the lock-on and miss, once you get the timing it's pretty easy just make sure you take as many arrows as you can

the platimnum should be easy to get once you've completed the game first time as long as you're prepared to put the hours in, the main hassle is getting all the best weapons by upgrades as some items are very difficult to find, you have to manipulate world tendancy to give you a better chance of finding rare items, also some demon's souls are used for 4 unique weapons or spells/miracles so you need to beat the game 3 times then on your 4th game get the demon's souls which are used 4 times (think there's 2, Maiden Astraea & Old Monk)

i'm currently about 1/4 of the way through my 2nd game and only have 50% of the trophies however i've got a few weapons which need 1 more upgrade to unlock some more so should hopefully have 90% by the time i beat it 2nd time

Categorically a yes?

TBF I've heard good things and probably can still get £15 for GOW3.

Demon´s Souls is, for sure, one of the best PS3 titles so far, not only for being a great RPG but specially for being an unique kind of game that have no similar in console or PC. And it´s a must to play online, it´s where most of the fun in the game is.

Demon´s Souls is, for sure, one of the best PS3 titles so far, not only for being a great RPG but specially for being an unique kind of game that have no similar in console or PC. And it´s a must to play online, it´s where most of the fun in the game is.

deffo the best for me, so far i've put in over 200 hours in my main save and just need 1 more trophy for the platinum

i've not really bothered with the online elements that much but that has been down to world tendency changing whenever you log into the server and i like to keep most worlds as close to pure black as possible, also i prefer playing with people i know and whilst it's possible to arrange being summoned as a blue phantom i'd like a bit more interaction with people on my friends list

as for invading someone else's world, it sounds great but it's too random, i know that's kind of the point and is needed to stop high level characters invading noobs but it just lacks the banter you have with kicking a mates arse in other games

i've noticed the regular (not black phantom) version will be released in europe in a couple of weeks and is under £30 on shopto.net so i might get it just to play against people i know

still i'd love to be able to select them off my friends list and be able to invade them, surely it couldn't be too hard for them to incorporate this even if it means you have to be in their soul level range?

Back
Top Bottom