Demons Souls (PS3)

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Anyone got this?

Got 10/10 in GamesTM, so I've taken a punt on it from Renchi.

All the online integration sounds incredibly innovative and really swung it for me.

I have a friend in America who has been raving about this for ages. I'm gagging for it.

Cool - was it you (in the PS3 thread) that played the demo and didnt like it - may have been Chris Davies?

Anyways, from reading the (p)reviews, it sounds like its a game you have to get into deeply and a demo doesnt do it any justice.

Ordered mine from Renchi as I say for a smidge over £40 delivered.

Personally, it's my game of the year so far and the main reason I bought myself a PS3 (again) after having played it over at my buddy's place.

I LOVE the atmosphere so much, I can't get enough of it. I'm about ~45 hours in it and its fascination still doesn't wear off. It's brutally hard, you die a million times and it's most probably the most frustrating game I've played in the last ten years, but it's never unfair which is what makes it so captivating because you always learn from mistakes and false steps. I can't think of any other game right now that comes even close to the satisfaction you get here when clearing certain boss areas and getting new upgrades, equipment or magic spells. It's definitely a must-have game for people who grew tired of dumbed down casual games that keep flooding the market for years now. Demon's Souls immediately grabs you by the scrotum and doesn't let go until you either finish it or surrender.

I also highly recommend to get the game bundled with its official guide. Usually, I hate playing with guides but there's soooooo much about Demon's Souls' uniquely complex-confusing mechanics which isn't covered in the manual, you'd definitely want to have it ready to hand.

Arrived today - christ its hard!

As Tom says above, the difficulty and the amount of times you die is almost a gameplay feature and it makes it very addictive - each time you die you learn a little more about how to get further and (sometimes literally) inch forwards...

Good game though!

Bought this game and after 8hrs managed to finally reached the end of the first level and defeat my first Demon. Although it was very satisfying, it was also painstakingly unmerciful and cruel after numerous deaths which served the only purpose of learning the level layout and baddies to get to the Demon.

Yes, it can be done. If I managed to make it to the end of the First! level and defeat the demon, then anyone should be able to acomplish this. However, I would really, really, would be very grateful if a patch is released to allow at least one save point midway through the levels. It would really be very helpful. The fact that they are forcing you to make it all the way to the end with no save point is very cruel.

After experiencing the stress and frustration of finishing the first level, I found myself very discouraged and with out any hope to begin, much less finish, any other journeys.

It's a shame because this game is graphically beautiful, atmospheric, and beefy with great controls and AI. it's got all the things I want in an RPG from midevil times. Dragons, demons, monsters, knights, archers, beautiful castles, etc..It's just too bad the game kicks you in the balls over and over until you begin to drop "F" bombs and banish it to Hell from whence it came!

Sorry lads, but this game is so perfect and unfortunately too stressful without any check save points for me to continue. It's really ruined by this imperfection in my opinion. I will continue to pray for a patch that can at least give us "1'save point midway through the level. That's all I ask for.

Until then, I will give it one more go before finally giving in.

I ordered the game after reading a lot of reviews. Only thing I hope is I can call you for help during my trips and multiple deaths.

How is the online side of thw game?

I was lead to believe there was no online mode - only this 'leave hints for other pleyers' thing. but then I hear of other people forcing themselves into your game and playing co-op or they try to kill you.

So can you co-op up with your friends and beat the game?

How is the online side of thw game?

I was lead to believe there was no online mode - only this 'leave hints for other pleyers' thing. but then I hear of other people forcing themselves into your game and playing co-op or they try to kill you.

So can you co-op up with your friends and beat the game?

check this video from gamespot, they choose Demon´s Souls as GOTY and in the video some of the reviewers talk about the game and about how the online works during the gameplay.

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/game-of-the-year/index.html?tag=topslot;thumb;1

My copy arrived yesterday and I have already played 5 hours. So far, so good. The game is EXCELLENT and one of the best I've played in years. It's hard, but not as much as people claims.

You only have to think a lot and play patiently and LEARN. I find it's one of the most innovative games I've played. Great so far, really, and a fair GOTY if the rest of the game has this level of polishment and greatness. I would even say this is already a classic for me, in a year full of AAA this one is really drops my jaw again and again for its clever design.

Yes, this is an amazing game. It requires LOTS of patience. I'm currently on level 30 with my character "Gideon Knight". I've just been enjoying slashing demons leveling my character up to a more robust and comfortable level where I can defeat the tougher foes with more ease.

One thing I have yet to figure out is how to summon a phantom to assist me with a certain level/demon. Anyone?

Also, does anyone know what the limit is on leveling up, 100???

Last edited:
Haha.. I just meant it in like he took ages and really waited for the perfect moment to attack and kill the other player.

This game is awesomeeeee! Wow, it's not HARD, it's just like the old times, measuring your actions and having to learn the game to the inch to advance.

You end up doing the same level again and again and again, but it doesn't get boring because you feel more powerfull every time and know your opponents better. It's just a very special game and more people should definitely play it. Still haven't summoned anyone yet, and I don't want to be summmoned yet because I'm too weak, but as a Wanderer that I am I will help people later.

Please, if you like old games where you had to be skillful and patient to advance, if you ended up thos 80s games that had no checkpoints, this is the game for you!

I'm just waiting and hoping for an EU release. Importing is alright but I don't want to be stuck with the disc forever.

This game is awesomeeeee! Wow, it's not HARD, it's just like the old times, measuring your actions and having to learn the game to the inch to advance.

You end up doing the same level again and again and again, but it doesn't get boring because you feel more powerfull every time and know your opponents better. It's just a very special game and more people should definitely play it. Still haven't summoned anyone yet, and I don't want to be summmoned yet because I'm too weak, but as a Wanderer that I am I will help people later.

Please, if you like old games where you had to be skillful and patient to advance, if you ended up thos 80s games that had no checkpoints, this is the game for you!

Sort of describes the game I'm currently playing, Final Fantasy X, except of course the many save points. I keep repeating the same levels over and over but it keeps getting better because I'm getting stronger and learning all my enemies' strengths and weaknesses. I think this is the best game to get now after finishing FFX.

Totally addicted to demon's souls now. Have finished 2 worlds and have the rest quite far too, but some of the bosses are giving me a real spanking. It's ages since I had not this feeling of fear every time I challenge new enemies. The game is fair, you succeed if you learn. And you learn by doing things over and over again with subtle changes. And it's so fun.

Goty for me, no doubt. It's ages since I didn't play a game like this, reminds me of my "oldies" golden games, when I could play all the afternoon, finish without having advanced an inch and still have a very good time with it.

I bow to the creators of this game and strongly recomend it to everyone who likes the genre and rpg in general. And very strongly recomend it to all those who played games like Ultima VII, Saboteur, Army moves, Altered Beast and the oldies that didn't let you save mid-game.

For the record, there ARE checkpoints after finishing a level in any of the worlds. And there's a very CLEVER design, so if you raised a door in a specific level, it remains open forever, so you can create shortcuts from one part to others and reduce greatly the time invested in fighting and danger of dying of some levels.

PS: I've been invaded twice and died twice. My character is soul level 60 and people invading is always higher. It's a little unfair, yes, but it adds to the "fear" experience. It happened only twice in 40 hours of play, and the other side of the coin is that I killed 2 bosses thanks to the help of other users who died helping me.

Just great.

But, what is the point of some dude invading my world while i'm in the midst of a hassle and he simply slits me? Then I'll have to repeat everything all over again only because some dude decided to goof around?

Oh, sorry, I forgot to recognize you have a solid point there, this is in truth the only problem I have with the game, mainly because people who likes to invade other worlds have really high soul levels and feels impossible to fight them back in these conditions. If at least they only could invade worlds from their same level or similar...

There is a method to avoid them and summon them away, but costs a lot of souls and it should be quite cheaper.

But overall, aren't you having a lot of fun?

If you are at a point where you are likely to be invaded (and you can only be invaded by people who are within a certain range of your soul level) then you would be wise to summon blue phantoms on your side to help out.

Just begin playing the game today and is fantastic, really addictive. I died a lot, of course, but was able to kill my first demon already. Great great game! Just have to take care with those online messages, some of them are totally fake, but some of them help a lot.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to recognize you have a solid point there, this is in truth the only problem I have with the game, mainly because people who likes to invade other worlds have really high soul levels and feels impossible to fight them back in these conditions. If at least they only could invade worlds from their same level or similar...

There is a method to avoid them and summon them away, but costs a lot of souls and it should be quite cheaper.

But overall, aren't you having a lot of fun?

Haven't played it yet. Just reading all the comments and watching vids though. I guess a better way to avoid invaders is to play offline.

Haven't played it yet. Just reading all the comments and watching vids though. I guess a better way to avoid invaders is to play offline.

Offline makes the game much harder becouse there are no messages from other users and we can´t see how they die in dangerous places, those little things really help through the levels. I really see no big deal in being invaded and die sometimes for that, we die so many times in the game anyway.

And once you get far in a level there are shortcuts that can be enable so you don´t have to play the hole level again when you die, so diying once or twice for an invader is not a so big problem.

Then you must play it. It's an instant classic. And playing online is a must, because of the creative way online is integratedinto the game.

About the "invasion" problem, it's a matter of fairness. I was invaded for the third time yesterday after a very complicated level (one of the last ones) just when I was about to complete it. I had run out of many items because of the hard fights I was involved, so I was from start in a far worse condition than my invader. He slayed me without any chance for me, so now I have to try again that level. It's not a big drawback because I know that eventually I will do it, but in that moment it felt unfair.

It could be my fault for not having the "casting out" spell active in my inventory, but I need other spells to go on the level. It would have been probably better to have a "stone" item that could cast out black phantoms invading you.

But not a big problem. In the worst scenario, it would make my rate of the game descend from 10.0 to 9.9.

Back
Top Bottom