Defending is pretty difficult now?

PLF said:
Defending is nearly perfect now! Great stuff Konami! Now it's actually an art that takes skillful players (both players in game and the player playing the game like us), it requires thinking, strategy as tiktiktik said and many other factors!!

Now people actually HAVE TO start learning the skills and art that is defending instead of having their head all about attacking and flair players and dribblers and only thinking about scoring goals and playing attractive football (I'm not saying you're like this by the way inite, i'm just talking generally about a lot of casual football fans)

Now it's more real life football! I've always been an awesome defender in this game like tikx3 rarely letting in goals and just some absolutely beautiful defending, shot blocking, anticpating passes, pressuring opponents at right times while maintaing my positions and unlike others I actually made a couple of vid compilations a while back showcasing the good "Defending" my team does in terms of breaking down opponent's moves instead of skills or goals :lol: and in this game I've had no trouble either! Still doing great defensively. It's going forward that I'm not scoring enough goals in this new version yet but that's expected as I'm still getting used to it.

But as far as defending goes, a lot of people weren't good defenders before! I find a lot of PES5/WE9 players who were actually GOOD players, were great attackers of ball and mediocre defensively! Now in this game they won't get away with their avg defending skills anymore, they will pay until they increase their skill in this area and so it's a good thing the changes I feel Konami have made to make defending what it is compared to last versions! :)

I'm all for it! :thumbup: (Has made it a bit more difficult, which means you have to learn proper skills for it and lot of deep thinking and also more real life footy like!)
I don't agree with you at all mate! In this game your AI team mates are so stupid & dont even track obvious runs! I was a very good defender in all the previous PES/WE games not only against the AI but also against human players. Defending seems to have gone right out the window! A real dissapointment as I used to enjoy a hard fought clean sheet! I used to enjoy defending but between cxrap defending and rubbish goalkeepers, I regret deeply ever spending my money on this low-quality lazy effort of a game! I would imagine that Konami will continue to be lazy & not make the much needed improvements for PES6!

They will. If PES6's goalies are as buggy as WE10, it'll be a true abomination. I 'discovered' today that 3 times out of 5, from an inswinging corner delivered acutely towards goal the keeper will pull off some fucking circus jump to commit an own goal, with no pressure from my attackers.

In regards to defending, does anyone find that when the AI plays a chipped through ball (which it does all the time) the ball is coming to your defender but he doesn't attack it with a header. While the computer runs right at it, your defender remains stationary, usually ending up in the AI winning the ball. Using R2 to manually move your player ends up with him over-running it. I probably need to practice more.

@KJKill3r, first of all you're entitled to your own opinion dude so I ain't here to tell you if you're right or wrong but my own feelings about this subject were put on that post and now even though it's a week after and I've played game a whole lot more, I still feel exactly same.

In fact I get as much joy "Defending" now as I do putting magnificent one-touch passes through my team or scoring nice volleys? Why? Because it takes lot of skill (Perfect timing, perfect positioning, correct way of closing down opponents and pressuring them when needed with more than 1 player yet keep your position so you don't open gaps and holes in your defence to be exposed! Basically it's an "Art" now just like defending should be!).

I'm playing quite regularly both against CPU and human players and I'm so good at defending (not bragging but being honest) that it's extremely fun blocking 'shot after shot' any of my opponents deliver with either being standing in front of it or X or a beautiful sliding tackle.

For some mathces it seems even though the other team has a lot of the ball , my goalie barely even makes a save cuz I literally have my players (midfielders and defenders) in positions where they block long distance shots one after another!!!

On top of that, I also get extreme joy from being put under pressure when a player like Robinho has the ball and running at me at full speed (both against my bro and friends and cpu) yet they have very hard time going past my defender and more often than not I tackle their ass with a great clean tackle that gets me possessoin of ball!

So as I said above for me now defending is awesome, it takes skill, it takes intelligence, it takes good understanding of (Real life defending) but then when you pull them off it's a lot of fun because it wasn't easy to achieve!!

Well that's my 2 cents but sure I can understand if you or some disagree just like I can if some others agree. ;)

STR agree with the chip through ball seems to be a big comp fav now... also find my player pulls up for no reason when he can win the ball, even though i'm pressing sprint through the bottom of the pad!!

PLF said:
@KJKill3r, first of all you're entitled to your own opinion dude so I ain't here to tell you if you're right or wrong but my own feelings about this subject were put on that post and now even though it's a week after and I've played game a whole lot more, I still feel exactly same.

In fact I get as much joy "Defending" now as I do putting magnificent one-touch passes through my team or scoring nice volleys? Why? Because it takes lot of skill (Perfect timing, perfect positioning, correct way of closing down opponents and pressuring them when needed with more than 1 player yet keep your position so you don't open gaps and holes in your defence to be exposed! Basically it's an "Art" now just like defending should be!).

I'm playing quite regularly both against CPU and human players and I'm so good at defending (not bragging but being honest) that it's extremely fun blocking 'shot after shot' any of my opponents deliver with either being standing in front of it or X or a beautiful sliding tackle.

For some mathces it seems even though the other team has a lot of the ball , my goalie barely even makes a save cuz I literally have my players (midfielders and defenders) in positions where they block long distance shots one after another!!!

On top of that, I also get extreme joy from being put under pressure when a player like Robinho has the ball and running at me at full speed (both against my bro and friends and cpu) yet they have very hard time going past my defender and more often than not I tackle their ass with a great clean tackle that gets me possessoin of ball!

So as I said above for me now defending is awesome, it takes skill, it takes intelligence, it takes good understanding of (Real life defending) but then when you pull them off it's a lot of fun because it wasn't easy to achieve!!

Well that's my 2 cents but sure I can understand if you or some disagree just like I can if some others agree. ;)
I respect your opinion mate but I must say that I now believe that defending isn't anywhere near as skillful in this game as it was in WE9 or PES5! The reason I feel this way is because after many days of testing I have realised that the key to defending is to just hold :square: & :x: ! I have not conceded a goal since I started using this & I feel that it requires little skill! Can I just ask you mate, what do you set your cursor speed as? I used to use :r2: to defend by positioning my players where I wanted them but this no longer works for me. I also used to use :r2: to pressure opponents from behind to try to win more headers but it no longer works for me. Do you feel that this super cancel is less effective because I certainly do!

I have no trouble winning aerial battles like previous versions mate using same type of moments with R2 as before. It's just that sadly now when my striker for example DOES get his head to the ball ahead of defender from a cross, usually he doesn't direct the header well. Nog as good as I used to be able to head the ball anyway. (this is the area where I will have to improve :) ).

Regarding what you just said about defending in above post, I of course strongly disagree mate!!! A few times a few lucky people might get away with unskillful defending and holding those buttons as you suggested but over the course of a season and when playing against top class oppositions (I mean top class human players and 6*) you'll find there IS lots of skill to defending and you won't get away with simply blindly holding such buttons.

It requires all the things I just posted above so I won't repeat but you get my point I'm sure even though that's not what you're experiencing right now but hopefully to change soon. ;)

Take care

Last edited:
I find defending extremely strange in this game, not how I execute it but how the computer positions my players. Against computer 6* I am fine its when I play against human opponents. I go Liverpool with a slow backline so I want the defence to sit back, in some games this happens but using the same strategy at other times Ive got the deep blue arrows on my defense and arrows dragging the full backs backwards but I find my whole backline just ahead of the half way mark in the opponents half making it pointless because in a running race my team just gets beat everytime and since it is reasonably easy in this game to go around a keeper it almost always leads to a goal. If anyone has tips on how to make a backline stay it would be much appreciated.

I agree 100% with PLF with regards to his points on defending. It is an Art in this game and requires understanding of realistic defending. One thing that PLF has not mentioned is that sometimes during a game you need to head to formations menu and adjust your strategy in reaction to you're opponent's attacking strengths.

It's all well and good if you can intercept passes and block shots well but this ability is aided greatly if you have the right strategy to deal with the types of attacks you're opponent thrives on (i.e. wing-play, over-the-top thru-pass etc.)

For example, say your opponent loves to play thru-passes to his wingers and cross into the box (a.k.a Chelsea). If this happens one too many times then maybe you need to tell your full-backs to not attack or to emphasize more defending to handle this threat, maybe man-mark. On that note, never make an opponent cross the ball if you can thinking you can deal with it when it comes into the box. Never!

Just 1 example but case-in-point IMO.

Good Stuff, I love it.

Last edited:
@Ruffneck good point but the reason I didn't mention that is because to me, that seems too obvious!

I mean tactic tweaking to suit your own team's strengths and attempt to cover your own players' weaknesses so you don't get exposed in your formation and also changing it at times according to your next opposition and their players for each match is something that without a doubt has its reward and is a good investment of time and something I always do anyway.

So of course the people who don't bother with formations/tactics or don't have as deep of an understanding at it won't be as successful as somebody who can for example defend just as well but also cares a great deal about tactics/formations and tweaks them when needed with a lot of detail and attention like myself.

Back
Top Bottom