Decent England performance for once

vanzandt

The answer must be Jam
26 July 2007
Everton
Man of the Match for me was actually Garreth Barry.

I can't see him being picked when the big names come back, but on the basis of that performace he should keep his place as the holding player. Gerrard and Barry worked.

Barry was very calm on the ball, moved it well and was excellent in picking out passes and delivering the ball. Not sure if he is as good as Hargreaves long term and against superior opposition that put you on the back foot more, but he was still great today.

We had balance as well and the play on both wings was really good.

If there was a critisism it was that we stil sometimes do not move the ball with the control and skill seen in the premiership, we tend to slow the play down (the Italian and Spanish can do that we can't) which isn't our game.

Hope we can do as well on Wednesday...

Still don't think Robinson should be in goal and I would favour Shorey at left back, but apart from that is was all good.

The clown got something right...go figure.

Last edited:
110% agree with every last word of that (which is rare for me :p). Good play, good game - but we don't play with enough skill most of the time, and we do slow it down waaay too much. You give the ball to Shaun Wright-Phillips (or Joe Cole) and look at him go, he can dribble between players and have a shot. The rest of the team are slow dull passes, instead of going for it. It can hold them back, it's not very exciting, but more importantly it's not attacking enough. We seem scared of everyone - but with the negativity around England it's hard to blame them, I suppose.

And again, totally agree with the Robinson comment. One of the most important relationships on a football pitch is between the goalkeeper and the defence, you need to trust eachother. An Israel player had the ball, with a defender on him and the three others in a perfect line, and Robinson pegs it fourty yards to kick the ball away. What a fucking moron, talk about being desperate to prove yourself. Absolutely no need and if there was a slip, we could have been in trouble. Plus there was a punch or two completely unrequired. Don't like him at all I'm afraid, would rather have Calamity James than him (and that's saying something).

Overall, it's pleasing though. If we play well on Wednesday v Russia, it would be fantastic, for the confidence and for the country.

Sorry cant agree , no oposition what so ever:lmao:

Mmm wonder if your location gives the game away :roll:

Israel actually aren't that bad a team, certainly not from a defensive point of view and the performance was good despite the fact that Israel did not offer a lot going forward.

I guess you could just focus on the goals and nothing else, but even there three isn't bad is it? How many should be expected?

Or are all performances bad if the team isn't world class irrespective of the scoreline? That would be odd.

Mmm wonder if your location gives the game away :roll:

Mate sat there having looked forward to what i hoped would be a good (match:roll:) totally bored to tears , they made no attempt what so ever, important you got three points yes, but a good performance hmmm very difficult to say, england should get a good game come wednesday and the best of luck also.

Yeh i definetly think its been are best performance in a long LONG time, we know need Rooney and Lennon and im happy

I was flicking between the rugby and this - both were dull - the reason? slow build-up and lack of a cutting edge/killer instinct. The result is all that matters though.

What we can see is it is almost imposible for England and fans to be happy with even a modicum of success or happiness without being slated.

It has got to the point where it is almost impossible to express happy comments toward England without negative comments....

I cannot think of a single team in world footbal whom it is worse to support from the point of being slagged off.

P.s

Blue4life

I am English..my dad is from Northern Ireland, I lived in Northern Ireland....I am without doubt a bit of both no matter how I see myself.

I hope the best for England and I want Northern Ireland to do well and qualify.........I see no problem feeling that way.

I have always been disapointed by the need that so many people from Northern Ireland feel in relation to England in terms of football. End of the day it isn't politicol surely? So why not concentrate on the team you support and move on?

I want to see success for both..that is me....

Last edited:
Refreshing attitude vanzandt - the negativity towards England is something seemingly encouraged by our so called media - I almost think they control the national psyche.....

no, it's because the team is full of rio ferdinands and ashley coles - complete w@nkers. these two guys care more about how they LOOK while they are playing football, than how they PERFORM!

sad, but true and unless the arrogance is erased from the english game, you'll never win anything and everyone, bar your own fans, will want (and will gain such satisfaction) from your team failing. something they always done, except for 19whateveritwas...

i'd love to see england win the euros or the world cup, but there is always a tiny part of me that loves to see them fail, just so they're brought down a peg or two... perhaps, if they went out to play football without 'thinking' they should win, then i'd have much more support for them - and the english media don't help here either.

emile heskey and mclaren are probalby gonna be hailed in the media today, but what if it had been 1-1 yesterday? they would have had mclaren's head in a turnip and heskey's in a noose...

Arrogance? you're talking about the England team right? I think thats what they lack in their play...arrogance and confidence...but they sure looked confident last night,no choice though,they had to.

Ok performance against a side with no ambition.

There's one thing tho MCclown should now look
at Gary Neville as 2nd choice right back when
he recovers from injury.

We still should've won 6/7-0 instead of completely backing off for the last 35 minutes.

And we actually play well when Fat Frank isn't in the team, go figure.

We still should've won 6/7-0 instead of completely backing off for the last 35 minutes.
Agreed. In my lifetime I've never, ever felt "proud" of an England performance (perhaps excluding one or two World Cup games and the 5-1 v Germany). It's a horrible, cowardly style of football to get a goal and then play like cowards. You very rarely feel that the players are full of pride, or courage.

And we actually play well when Fat Frank isn't in the team, go figure.
I cannot begin to explain how shite I think Lampard is, or how much I hate him (I feel like any crap player could play in his position and do the exact same job, he scores a tap-in and he's "amazing"). But, he's ranked the 25th best player in the world according to this month's FourFourTwo (the only football magazine I trust), so I must be missing something.

Last edited:
I guess im the only one who hoped england would lose? Im an england fan/supporter, and thats probably why. I want them to have succes but getting semi-decent results/perfomances like yesterdays can only prolong McClowns reign. Something which should be finished a.s.a.p. imo. I hoped they would get hiddink after the WC as he has proven for years now how good he is, australia looked a better team at the world cup. Something england havent done for years. But offcourse the FA f#$%ed it up, as usual, so we ended up with 11th choice smilie smilieson. I can understand why england, and its players, are so uninspired in their games. They come from being coached by the best in the world with the most detailed tactical/motivational skills availeble (mourinho/benitez/ferguson (i would say wenger but they havent got any english players)) to join up with smily steve (who i read they were taking the piss out of by using big comedy white teeth) who looks clueless.

Tbh i think McClaren was fortunate by having so many injuries and suspentions, as he clearly has no balls to remove either gerrard/lampard from the team, nor to give rooney some rest. He hasnt performed for england for ages now either. Same with beckham, he shouldnt be back either. Owen shouldnt even be in the squad imo, he's played a single game for newcastle after about a year or so out of action. He's basicly just selecting names instead of actual players, does anybody think richards/swp would have gotton a game had it not been for the injuries? Or that lampard would have been dropped after not doing anything since 2004? And in doing so making the midfield slow and dull. Atleast gerrard makes some runs from attacking midfield, as he did yesterday, lampard hardly ever does that, for chelsea or england. But having him infront of gerrard means neither gets in the box for most of the game. But then having beckham swing in crosses from just past the halfway line means the midfield can never get up there in time anyway.

This is the guy who put lampard in left midfield.........Its so frustrating.

Last edited:
Agreed. In my lifetime I've never, ever felt "proud" of an England performance (perhaps excluding one or two World Cup games and the 5-1 v Germany). It's a horrible, cowardly style of football to get a goal and then play like cowards. You very rarely feel that the players are full of pride, or courage.

So you were not happy beating Holland 4-1 in Euro 96?

You didn’t feel good about the way we played the world cup semi final against Germany in 1990?

Didn’t feel happy about how we played in Mexico 86 or Italia 90 or Euro 96?

Very harsh IMHO.

no, it's because the team is full of rio ferdinands and ashley coles - complete w@nkers. these two guys care more about how they LOOK while they are playing football, than how they PERFORM!

sad, but true and unless the arrogance is erased from the english game, you'll never win anything and everyone, bar your own fans, will want (and will gain such satisfaction) from your team failing. something they always done, except for 19whateveritwas...

i'd love to see england win the euros or the world cup, but there is always a tiny part of me that loves to see them fail, just so they're brought down a peg or two... perhaps, if they went out to play football without 'thinking' they should win, then i'd have much more support for them - and the english media don't help here either.

emile heskey and mclaren are probalby gonna be hailed in the media today, but what if it had been 1-1 yesterday? they would have had mclaren's head in a turnip and heskey's in a noose...

The only arrogance and awful attitude I see is from you. You are horrendously bitter and can only excrete vile bile and hatred.

Arrogance? you're talking about the England team right? I think thats what they lack in their play...arrogance and confidence...but they sure looked confident last night,no choice though,they had to.

I totally agree. If anything it is a lack of arrogance/confidence that affects England and has ever since we had good management in the shape of Venables or Bobby Robson. Gud Hiddink said England have been afraid to win…..I think he is right and I think it stems from bad negative management and also from picking the best individuals at the expensive of the team.

It isn't the 1950s mate, you VERY rarely seen those kind of scorlines in modern day football against anyone. Also the key was looking to Wednesday, not picking up injuries etc.

Last edited:
What we can see is it is almost imposible for England and fans to be happy with even a modicum of success or happiness without being slated.

It has got to the point where it is almost impossible to express happy comments toward England without negative comments....

I cannot think of a single team in world footbal whom it is worse to support from the point of being slagged off.

P.s

Blue4life

I am English..my dad is from Northern Ireland, I lived in Northern Ireland....I am without doubt a bit of both no matter how I see myself.

I hope the best for England and I want Northern Ireland to do well and qualify.........I see no problem feeling that way.

I have always been disapointed by the need that so many people from Northern Ireland feel in relation to England in terms of football. End of the day it isn't politicol surely? So why not concentrate on the team you support and move on?

I want to see success for both..that is me....

mate you got it all wrong, political! what you on about , constructive critism thats all

Mate no harm to you intended but you start spoutin this and that the fact im from belfast northern ireland has nothing to do with football what so ever imho i would not get very excited about beating a very average looking israel who did not want to play, now if you play well against one of the big teams then brilliant , well done , thats all.

I went to the game and 3-0 was the perfect result. Possibly because it left me £70 up! If they ever get a fit and in form Rooney playing for them i'll regard them as a pssoibilty of winning something.

It still bothers me that we think the perfect result against a side like Israel is 3-0. The last 35 minutes of the game passed by without any hint of a goal, or even that much in the way of action. If it were a trully decent performance, we would've scored another couple of times in that last period and sent out a proper message.

And let's not get carried away here, it was only Israel and despite the fact we played as well as we have done in the last couple of years, with lots of changes, once Fat Frank is back et al, they'll all be in the team, and the stars of yesterday will probably not even be in the team, leaving us back to where we were before, with shit performances from supposed 'stars'.

So you were not happy beating Holland 4-1 in Euro 96?

You didn’t feel good about the way we played the world cup semi final against Germany in 1990?

Didn’t feel happy about how we played in Mexico 86 or Italia 90 or Euro 96?

Very harsh IMHO.
In 1996 I was 12 and a bit disinterested in football, being a Tranmere fan does that to you (although I remember the Southgate penalty, the first time I've ever felt my heart sink because of a game of football; my dad just creased up laughing and turned the TV off). In 1990 I was 6 and was more interested in Thomas the Tank Engine. In 1986 I was 2. :mryellow:

The earliest I can remember is a bit of Euro 96, slightly more of World Cup 98. I used to love seeing Michael Owen go on his runs, Alan Shearer never failing to get the ball into the back of the net with minimum effort/fuss. When Venables was manager, we played good, exciting, attacking football. Even as a kid it seemed obvious to me that Venables was a great manager and he made England play with flair and passion. Since then it's been like watching... Well, Tranmere, versus anybody half-decent. Shaking in their boots in-case they make a mistake. "Don't pass to me."

In 1996 I was 12 and a bit disinterested in football, being a Tranmere fan does that to you (although I remember the Southgate penalty, the first time I've ever felt my heart sink because of a game of football; my dad just creased up laughing and turned the TV off). In 1990 I was 6 and was more interested in Thomas the Tank Engine. In 1986 I was 2. :mryellow:

The earliest I can remember is a bit of Euro 96, slightly more of World Cup 98. I used to love seeing Michael Owen go on his runs, Alan Shearer never failing to get the ball into the back of the net with minimum effort/fuss. When Venables was manager, we played good, exciting, attacking football. Even as a kid it seemed obvious to me that Venables was a great manager and he made England play with flair and passion. Since then it's been like watching... Well, Tranmere, versus anybody half-decent. Shaking in their boots in-case they make a mistake. "Don't pass to me."

I can agree with all that mate.

Funny thing was when I was reading I thought you wrote you were born in 1966 and then I read you saying you were on 6 in 1990 and I thought...this mans life is going backwards :lol:....then I realised I was being a spaz Haha.

Mate no harm to you intended but you start spoutin this and that the fact im from belfast northern ireland has nothing to do with football what so ever imho i would not get very excited about beating a very average looking israel who did not want to play, now if you play well against one of the big teams then brilliant , well done , thats all.

No worries mate, I just felt that you were being a little negative from what was effectively a good result and performace against a limited team and I thought that a certain amount of bias was coming through. If you don't think you were being biased fine no worries.

Back
Top Bottom