Dean Richards retires

crayon

Champions League
23 October 2004
Japan
Liverpool FC
Tottenham defender Dean Richards has announced his retirement from football because of illness.

Spurs said Richards, who has suffered dizzy spells and headaches, had received "evidence that it would be harmful to his health to continue".

The 30-year-old said: "I am obviously deeply disappointed to be giving up the sport I love, but it's the only choice.

"I'd like to thank the club, the medical team and my team-mates for all the support they have given me."

Richards was initially diagnosed with an inner ear infection and underwent a scan for a brain tumour, which came back negative.

Tottenham sporting director Frank Arnesen added: "It is always a sad day when you lose a good player from the game.

"Dean has shown great character through a trying time. He had some fine moments for Spurs and we all wish him well in the future."

Richards started his career at Bradford and then moved to Wolves before establishing himself in the Premiership with Southampton.

When Glenn Hoddle left the south-coast club to take charge at Spurs he brought Richards with him in a deal worth £8.1m.

Good luck to Dean.

Yep, good luck Deano. Never really fulfilled that potential he had when he first came to Spurs, but was still a good player. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom