Data Recovery Question

fd1972uk

---------------------
9 January 2002
Glasgow
Celtic
Hi,

My laptop has recently broken and the hard-disk has been damaged (laptop was dropped pretty hard).

Took it to a local repair centre who couldn't help but said I could take it to a data recovery place, however he did warn of big prices.

Thing is I have a lot of pictures and videos of sentimental value and unfortunately I hadn't managed to back it up (was going to get one of those portable disks).

Anybody ever used these?

Did look at this place. http://www.easyrecovery.co.uk/

I would assume the use of some sort of software or a hard disk reader would be fruitless?

Any help, cheers.

FD

I dropped my wife's laptop and buggered the hard drive as well, it was clunking and obviously the platters inside weren't spinning right so I wasn't able to recover anything myself, you should try removing the HDD and putting it in a USB enclosure to see if it can be accessed, if so a software recovery program might then recover stuff for you.

I dropped my wife's laptop and buggered the hard drive as well, it was clunking and obviously the platters inside weren't spinning right so I wasn't able to recover anything myself, you should try removing the HDD and putting it in a USB enclosure to see if it can be accessed, if so a software recovery program might then recover stuff for you.

what he said.. you dont need special software to recover files.. if you can get it in a usb enclosure and another pc can recognize it, just drag and drop the files you need

actually you dont need a usb enclosure, you need a sata or ide or whatever you laptop hd interface is to usb, i.e. ide to usb cable

Ok guys, thanks for this.

Now sorry to be a pain, but I'm not sure what the interface thing means i.e. ide to usb cable? Do you mean whatever the kind of plug in nodes (or whatever you call it) which are plugged into the laptop (i.e. how the HD connects into the laptop in the first place?).

FD

Oh and there was a clicking noise coming from it. My laptop keeps coming up with the error something along the lines of:-

"media test failure, check cable"
and then something else I couldn't remember.

I read on the net that some thought it could be loose when a problem like this arises, but didn't seem to be.

FD

Ok guys, thanks for this.

Now sorry to be a pain, but I'm not sure what the interface thing means i.e. ide to usb cable? Do you mean whatever the kind of plug in nodes (or whatever you call it) which are plugged into the laptop (i.e. how the HD connects into the laptop in the first place?).

FD

yeah something like that. the problem is taking a laptop apart is easy, putting it back together is not.. clicking is not good, but if you dont ever plan on using the laptop again, take it apart, then take a picture of the HD and post it on here.. then i can tell you what type of cable you need

I can take the HD out. It says on it Serial Ata Hard Drive. So I presume that is SATA?

FD

Yep, you're better off using a USB Sata enclosure rather than directly connecting the HDD to your PC because if the HDD is now faulty it can stop the PC booting or it could make it extremely slow and unstable, but if you have the HDD in a USB enclosure you can turn it off and on as you need, so you can boot with it turned off and then just turn it on when you're ready to try to get the data off it, I have one of these:

resize.php

http://www.everythingusb.com/unitek-usb-sata-hdd-docking-station-14933.html

But there are loads of different ones on the market such as this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5-SATA-TO-U...rdDriveEnclosures_RL?hash=item3cab8ea71c#shId only a few quid off Ebay.

yeah placebo has got what you need, that one on ebay is perfect, just put the HD in the enclosure, hook it up to your pc, and drag and drop files as you need them..

Only thing I'm not sure is, that I've saw 2.5 and 3.5" ones, how do you determine what one you need?

Also I notice it says upto 160gb, mine's is 250gb. Does that raise a problem or is that only how much data it can transfer?

FD

Brilliant guys, listen I really appreciate this, means a lot to me as you'd obviously understand with cherished pictures.

I'm an absolute twat for not backing up, but I'll give this a go and see what happens, best giving it a go before spending a few hundred pounds on sending to a data recovery centre.

I had also phoned Virgin the very next day after the laptop broke about my internet and stuff and guess what????? The woman asked if I had been using the Vstuff option that I have...............basically it's a back-up facility of 10gb..........................arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, so basically I had it at the touch of a button, maybe not have got all the videos, but defo every picture.

Thanks again guys and I'll let you know how I get on.

FD

Back
Top Bottom