Copa Santander Libertadores 2012

MASTER - w11

Avante, Todo Poderoso !!!
9 June 2003
São Paulo, Brasil
Corinthians
The preliminary phase starts on January 26.

Here is the table:

Preliminary phase:

G1 - Deportivo Táchira(VEN) x Libertad(PAR): 1-0/1-3 - Libertad through
G2 - Juan Aurich(PER) x Estudiantes Tecos(MEX): 2-0/-21 - Juan Aurich through
G3 - Colón(ARG) x Universidad Católica(CHI): 3-2/2-3 (3-5pk) - U.Católica through
G4 - Real Potosí(BOL) x Cruzeiro(BRA): 1-1/0-7 - Cruzeiro through
G5 - Newell's Old Boys(ARG) x Emelec(ECU): 0-0/1-2 - Emelec through
G6 - Atletico Junior(COL) x Racing (URU): 2-2/0-2 Racing through

Group Phase:

Group 1
Corinthians (BRA)
Cerro Porteño (PAR)
Independiente Medellin (COL)
Racing (URU) - Winner of G6

Group 2
São Paulo (BRA)
Nacional (PAR)
Once Caldas(COL)
Monterrey (MEX)

Group 3
Estudiantes(ARG)
Bolívar(BOL)
Alianza Lima(PER)
Juan Aurich(PER) - Winner of G2

Group 4
Lanús(ARG)
Blooming(BOL)
Universitario(PER)
Libertad(PAR) - Winner of G1

Group 5
Internacional(BRA)
CA Cerro(URU)
Deportivo Quito(ECU)
Emelec - Winner of G5

Group 6
Banfield(ARG)
Nacional(URU)
Deportivo Cuenca(ECU)
Morelia(MEX)

Group 7
Vélez Sarsfield(ARG)
Colo-Colo(CHI)
Deportivo Italia(VEN)
Cruzeiro(BRA) - Winner of G4

Group 8
Flamengo(BRA)
Universidade de Chile(CHI)
Caracas(VEN)
Universidad Católica - Winner of G3

This year, the 8 first placed and the 6 best second placed teams will qualify to the round of 16, as Chivas Guadalajara(MEX) and San Luis(MEX) start directly in that phase due to issues related to Influenza A(H1N1) last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Copa Santander Libertadores 2010

will be strange not to see boca and river this time. but nonetheless, I will try to watch as many games as possible.

Some Cruzeiro regular customers are in Libertadores, Corinthians, Flamengo and São Paulo been some real customers since the 2000's some in mata-matas others just regular customers :P
Nobody give a damn about us now, like last year, its so unfair, they only believed us after we kicked out Gremio, and the superoverhype after that really messed us up.

Seriously now, I think we're even better than last year, hopefully without that many injuries, was a miracle to go to the finals without a lot a players, but I still think we will struggle against teams with psychically strong players.

Corinthians is a Cruzeiro regular costumer????? Are you really sure?

I don't remember being taken out from any competition by Cruzeiro...But you guys surely remember the 1998 Brasileirão final.

And even in the league format, the teams are surely even, as I can remember that 4x3 in 2005, the 3x0 and the 0x3 in 2007...In 2009 there was a 2x1 for us and a 1x0 for you guys...

Don't come lying in front of our european friends :P

Someone did the homework and went research :LMAO:

I wasn't being that serious, hence the :P, checking my books and stuff like that.
Its just that from the top of my head Corinthians was never trouble for us like São Paulo (on leagues games) and Palmeiras (this one on knock-out games mostly).
I think our fans have more rivalry with São Paulo, Palmeiras even Santos than Corinthians, not considering that organizadas-link bs.
It just happens that whenever we are in a good moment you are terrible and vice-versa, we don't even met in knock-out competitions anymore.

Long story short Corinthians was never trouble for us if you know what I mean, whenever we go there, I go far more confident than going to Palestra.

I didnt' need to go research, I remember those games, hehehehehe

But maybe you're saying that because really there isn't much rivalry between the 2 teams...

Getting back to the Libertadores subject...

I don't see any favourite among the brazilian teams.

Corinthians seems a bit behind because will have to remount the team, find a new formation with the good squad we have on the paper.

Flamengo has a very good starting 11, but I can't see them winning with substitutes like Obinna and Bruno Mezenga. Vagner Love will have to do much better than last year.

Cruzeiro has a strong base for 2 years and are serious contender, but I disagree when you say the team is stronger than last year. I still don't trust on the likes of Gil, Henrique (who was in great form last year), Wellington Paulista and Thiago Ribeiro. Let's see how Pedro Ken adapts to the team.

São Paulo again started the year slowly, with a home defeat. But the squad is experienced and brought some good reinforcements as Fernandinho and Marcelinho. I see them going far this year.

Internacional didn't have any big change. I see them a bit as Flamengo. A great first 11, but lacks good substitutes, except in the mid of the park, where they have good young values.

I don't know the foreign teams very well so I wont comment. What do you guys think?

Yea I agree with you the brazilian teams are almost the same level, and I don't know you, but I know almost nothing about other south american teams momments.
The coverage is pretty bad only some jornalists pay attention to that here.

About Corinthians I don't think Mano will have trouble to redo the team, his system is almost always the same 3 man behind one striker, the players changed but their style is the same, except Danilo and Tcheco, but these two are intelligent mfs that could be useful changing the pace of the game, being the link between players.

When I said Cruzeiro is better this year than last is because last year we lost important players like Thiago Ribeiro in crucial time, he is limited but very important tactically, we couldn't play with our best formation in last games, it also have 3 man behind one striker with pretty good offensive chemistry.

A squad I really like is São Paulo, I think their signs were great and can turn out to be a very good team.

But squads seems to not be doing much difference in Libertadores its more about the moment.

By the way will the competition end after or before the World Cup?

The battles are defined

duelosh.jpg

Estudiantes are the current champions but my thoughts are based on what the teams showed during the group phase. Velez impressed me more than Estudiantes.

Corinthians was the best in the group phase and will face Flamengo, with Adriano and Vagner Love. Tough match!

Now it's getting exciting!

Velez was from Cruzeiro group so I followed them pretty closely to say I was expecting more.

Don't get me wrong they are quite solid and I think they are very underrated by Brazils press,

But still they ain't got that much to offer offensively, except for a lot of passion, but that common passion that you see in Latin American clubs.

Their defense is pretty good, but no big deal either, I'd said they could kick any Brazilian out of the competition that underestimate them, but they only face Brazilians maybe in the semis, a big maybe cause Estudiantes could probably hit the semis, so Argentines would face each other.

Estudiantes are the current champions but my thoughts are based on what the teams showed during the group phase. Velez impressed me more than Estudiantes.

Corinthians was the best in the group phase and will face Flamengo, with Adriano and Vagner Love. Tough match!

Now it's getting exciting!

Clash of the titans.

Velez was from Cruzeiro group so I followed them pretty closely to say I was expecting more.

Don't get me wrong they are quite solid and I think they are very underrated by Brazils press,

But still they ain't got that much to offer offensively, except for a lot of passion, but that common passion that you see in Latin American clubs.

Their defense is pretty good, but no big deal either, I'd said they could kick any Brazilian out of the competition that underestimate them, but they only face Brazilians maybe in the semis, a big maybe cause Estudiantes could probably hit the semis, so Argentines would face each other.

Velez just lost to Chivas, 3x0...So I guess you were right and I was very wrong :P

:LMAO: I wasn't that right, I said they were solid, 0x3 ain't that solid :D

But yea they are no big deal.

1st games results:

Flamengo 1-0 Corinthians
Alianza Lima 0-1 Univ. de Chile
Guadalajara 3-0 Vélez Sarsfield
Once Caldas 0-0 Libertad

Universitario 0-0 São Paulo
Cruzeiro 3-1 Nacional
San Luis 0-1 Estudiantes
Banfield 3-1 Internacional

Flamengo and Corinthians sucked, the rain really messed the game up.

The rain really ruined the game, as the first half almost didn't exist.

That aside, Ronaldo was just embarrasing.
The guy isn't half the player he was last year. Lost a chance that cost us the penalty and the goal.

Now Corinthians needs to win for 2 goals at Pacaembu. Tough task! Specially with Ronaldo playhing that way.

Back
Top Bottom