Colin McRae Dirt (PS3/360/PC)

Fair enough but after playing Forza 2 (have you played that?) it handles to me like a reeeeeally bad arcade game.

Yes I've played Forza 2, and yes the handling is more realistic than Dirt.

If you want the best handling, grap yourself a Sega Saturn and a copy of Sega Rally, or better still, find the arcade machine.

you taking the piss? rally cars on ice? thats like saying afterburner is a good flight sim!?

Last edited:
Im really gutted. Upon booting it up, i have to say these are quite simply, the best graphics I have ever seen. As soon as I began driving however....it feels like an arcade game, and makes me long to go back to either forza on the 360 or colin mcrae 1 and 2 on PS2. Its a real shame because these graphics are simply stunning, as is the physics/crash system, which is the one part where the car feels really 'heavy' as it should be. While it's on the road it feels light as a feather. Nevertheless, I did enjoy my run with the off-roader thing, which handles a little more realistically and generally, with the track, provides a more enjoyable experience. I was initially concerned that the game felt too slow, but upon switching to the ground/floor camera I was put in my place. Driving on that view is quite....exhilarating.

Last edited:
Graphics and crash damage aside this game just does NOT feel like rallying. IMHO Colin Mcrae 1/2.0 and 3 were tonnes better in that department.

Dj

But even then it's a lot less realistic than Forza 2 so what's the point?

You said before "if you want realistic handling get Sega Rally" - well if that's the case why play this instead, because it looks nicer? That's no reason to play a game. Sorry but you can play it all you want but I've tried the demo again and I absolutely hate it.

I said better handling, not realistic handling, I'm going on fun gameplay here.

And why play McRae? Because it's the only next-gen rally game out so far, so what if it might not be as good as Forza. It's all to do with taste, perhaps people might find tarmac tracks boring.

Despite the obvious flaws with this game in regards to the braking (wtf? 100-0 in about 0.3 seconds??) and turning, the game is a heap of fun, which i think some tend to forget in their pursuit of perfection. three people i have shown it to so far have said it plays like no rally game, but is great fun and great entertainment.

And just for the record, i agree with Nick. Forza is wonderfully realistic, which i can see and appreciate, but its just downright boring. I want a game that makes me want to come back time and time again, rather than saying "oh drag, another 25 minute race around the same track 73 times".That was always the problem i had with GT...i would finish every race except the endurance races, and then complete them not because i enjoyed it, but because i felt i had to. I never want to get back to that situation.

Last edited:
If you want absolute rally realism why don't you buy the Richard Burns rally game...the most realistic rally game ever if one has to beleive the racing freaks...but all the reviews said the game was waaaaay too difficult...virtually nobody was good enough to play it like it was meant...
I'm shit atracing games, i like arcade...give me Motorstorm and i'm satisfied...it's a game i keep on playing. Realism factor: 0!!!!

"I like it alot"

btw has anyone smashed the bonnet off the car and looked at the engine? It moves as you change gear :)

wow, the driving physics are soooo rubbish. how can you create physics THAT bad? nowhere near any realism :S

but the damage model and graphics are really fantastic.

must buy if it would just drive a little better...this way...nope. forza all the way.

from another forum

word for word: OXM 9.0/10

+ remarkable graphics and crisp handling

+ vast career mode with a huge variety of events

- standard multiplayer is M.I.A.

? But how good is it gonna feel to beat 99 real live people in a race?

I guess the - & ? were because the multiplayer supposedly doesn't let you race with other people side by side. to be exact it said:

"the games multiplayer modes consist of either rallies or hill climbs - events that are all about one car on the track at a time. So in the game, you and up to 99 other people can race at the same time, but you don't see each other on the track."

Also it said:

"codemaster is well aware that no one will be pleased by the absence of traditional, more PGR like multiplayer, explaining that it instead chose to focus on graphics and handling this time and will add the multiplayer beef in Dirt 2."

seems odd to me that everyone on here is bagging it..while most previews on IGN and other gaming websites reckon the handling is actually a really really accurate simulation.
Nevertheless, ive decided that i'll probably buy it...it apparently has lots of modes to keep on going..and despite the unrealistic parts..its a game i actually have fun on and could play for hours.

I can't understand why anybody likes it, it really escapes me. I suppose I wouldn't make it as a games reviewer - I think it's utter, utter tosh and I wouldn't pay the PC price of £17.99 for it, let alone the 360 price of £39.99 (or £50 in the high-street).

wow, the driving physics are soooo rubbish. how can you create physics THAT bad? nowhere near any realism :S

but the damage model and graphics are really fantastic.

must buy if it would just drive a little better...this way...nope. forza all the way.

Sounds bad. I've not played it but given it's Codemasters we're talking about, I'm inclined to believe you.

Their TOCA games have always seemed pretty good, full of plenty of great cars, tracks, options, vehicle damage....until you actually start driving....that soon wipes the smile off your face.

Codemasters do arcade. The don't do simulation. In fact, I don't think they have anyone on their teams that know how to do simulation. I remember they claimed TOCA Race Driver 2 had superior physics to Live For Speed :lmao: . What a bunch of cretins.

But even then it's a lot less realistic than Forza 2 so what's the point?

You said before "if you want realistic handling get Sega Rally" - well if that's the case why play this instead, because it looks nicer? That's no reason to play a game. Sorry but you can play it all you want but I've tried the demo again and I absolutely hate it.

forza IS aewsome though i'll give it that it has beautiful depth

I can't understand why anybody likes it, it really escapes me. I suppose I wouldn't make it as a games reviewer - I think it's utter, utter tosh and I wouldn't pay the PC price of £17.99 for it, let alone the 360 price of £39.99 (or £50 in the high-street).

I think you're just a sim-purist like we all should be at heart next gen has shown us the detering from anythinf "realsitci' past some games

Last edited by a moderator:
winston... how wrong you are my friend. Codies havent always done arcade. The earlier Mcrae games werent arcadey and all of the Toca's since the first ever 1 on PSX have had realism and have felt good.

I wouldnt bother trying to reason with Jay666. He probably hasnt even bothered trying Forza... either that or he doesnt like Realism.

I don't think it's that DJ. :roll:

Some people don't like how fiddly it is and you can't blame them. The AI on hard is a nightmare, even with the same-rated cars you find yourself having to work very hard to get there. But then you can upgrade yourself out of their reach, which is also naff, and some of the tracks and races are so repetitive it's untrue (I've just had an event where it's six laps of 3 miles - I know I should be looking forward to races like that but my God it gets boring after a while, it's like playing a friendly in PES on 20 minute halves versus the same team three times in a row).

For me the feel of beating the CPU is the same as beating the CPU in PES, "YES, FUCK YOU, YOU THREW EVERYTHING AT ME AND I STILL BEAT YOU, HAHA" - and it's all worth it for that. Online play is also brilliant. But if you're not into the fiddling and the repetition then it's easy to see why it could put somebody off.

DIRT has the exact opposite effect with me - it's so "pick up and go" with no realism whatsoever that I was literally laughing at the game within a minute of racing in the demo, but if you want a quick fast race then I'm sure it will appeal.

winston... how wrong you are my friend. Codies havent always done arcade. The earlier Mcrae games werent arcadey and all of the Toca's since the first ever 1 on PSX have had realism and have felt good.

The earliest TOCA games (TOCA 1 & 2 on PS1) were genuine attempts at simulating many aspects of the BTCC, but the physics was very crude. Indeed, by their own admission, it was single pivot-point physics rather than 4 point, so they weren't making any claims of total realism in that respect. But as a BTCC fan, TOCA2 was one of my all-time favourite games.

Within Codies, there was always a mix of developers, some favoured the sim route, some wanted to make arcade games. Unfortunately, after TOCA2, the arcade team won and they released the gash TOCA WTC. Since then, they have openly admitted that they try to find a blend of arcade and sim but the emphasis is always on pick-up-and-play fun, rather than realistic, unforgiving physics.

The newer TOCA brand, the Race Driver series, got off to an appauling start. RD1 had utterly disgraceful arcade physics. I know for a fact that the developers were truly shocked by the slagging they took from the sim community. They made good improvements in RD2 but it still fell way short of true sim.

The latest TOCA, Race Driver 3 on PS2, was a decent enough game. The physics model was basically the same one as used in RD2. It is reasonably fun, but certainly not pure sim. The V8s, in particular, are a disaster. It feels like the physics of wooden tyres.

You can try going to some of the hardcore driving sim forums and preach that TOCA has sim physics but I assure you, you will be laughed out of town.

Last edited:
I wouldnt bother trying to reason with Jay666. He probably hasnt even bothered trying Forza... either that or he doesnt like Realism.

There is other stuff not to like in games you know

and becuase you say its realistic it dosnt mean it is, other people have different takes on the games realism or lack of it

i find the game boring as fuck in all honesty

Im not trying to say im right and hes wrong, what im saying is Colin Mcrae feels like Sega Rally :) Total arcade goodness but with Damage and awesome graphics to boot. Im not saying its totally awful. Yes Forza 2 to start with can make you fall asleep, however if you make it more difficult (e.g. by not making your car a super car when your racing against ordinary cars) the AI comes into play and its realistic how the AI tries to pass you or block you from overtaking. Makes the game more interesting, the only downside is the very Samey tracks, thats one of the only things I dont like about F2.

The earliest TOCA games (TOCA 1 & 2 on PS1) were genuine attempts at simulating many aspects of the BTCC, but the physics was very crude. Indeed, by their own admission, it was single pivot-point physics rather than 4 point, so they weren't making any claims of total realism in that respect. But as a BTCC fan, TOCA2 was one of my all-time favourite games.

Within Codies, there was always a mix of developers, some favoured the sim route, some wanted to make arcade games. Unfortunately, after TOCA2, the arcade team won and they released the gash TOCA WTC. Since then, they have openly admitted that they try to find a blend of arcade and sim but the emphasis is always on pick-up-and-play fun, rather than realistic, unforgiving physics.

The newer TOCA brand, the Race Driver series, got off to an appauling start. RD1 had utterly disgraceful arcade physics. I know for a fact that the developers were truly shocked by the slagging they took from the sim community. They made good improvements in RD2 but it still fell way short of true sim.

The latest TOCA, Race Driver 3 on PS2, was a decent enough game. The physics model was basically the same one as used in RD2. It is reasonably fun, but certainly not pure sim. The V8s, in particular, are a disaster. It feels like the physics of wooden tyres.

You can try going to some of the hardcore driving sim forums and preach that TOCA has sim physics but I assure you, you will be laughed out of town.

you absolutely know what you are talking about, thanks for sharing this info and your opinion. :thumbup:

the game is shipping now in germany and allthough i don't think it will last too long for me i can't wait for my copy to arrive and try out all the content and especially the damage model ;)

Back
Top Bottom