CL Final - Final linesman denies Barca bias (Finally removed from game)

ThomasGOAL

Retired Footballer
15 March 2003
France
Final linesman denies Barca bias

linesman pict -->
bilde

One of the linesmen for the Champions League final has protested his impartiality after being photographed in a Barcelona shirt on Monday.

Norwegian Ole Hermann Borgan wore the shirt for a photoshoot with his local newspaper, Drammens Tidende.

"There is no reason to doubt my impartiality - I don't support either of the teams," Borgan said.

Uefa has no plans to replace Borgan for the final in Paris on Wednesday, a spokesperson told BBC Sport.

Arsenal have refused to comment on the story before their manager, Arsene Wenger, gives his pre-match news conference at 1645 BST on Tuesday.

The newspaper wanted Borgan to wear both Arsenal and Barcelona shirts for the photoshoot, according to its sports editor Per Jan Brekke.

There is an unwritten rule that officials must not do anything which will cast doubt on their impartiality

Rune Pedersen
Norway's referees' chief

But the official found out he only owned a Barca shirt - and this was the picture that appeared in Tuesday's edition of the paper.

"It was both insensitive and stupid of me. I did not think deeply enough about the situation and the consequences when I was asked to dress up in the shirt," Borgan said.

The officials for the final will all be Norwegian, with Terje Hauge the main man in charge. Steinar Holvik and Borgan will run the lines.

"We are on our way to Paris to do a good job - nothing more, nothing less," Borgan said.

Norway's referees chief, Rune Pedersen, agreed that Borgan had been unwise to pose in the shirt.

"There is an unwritten rule that officials must not do anything which will cast doubt on their impartiality," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4986436.stm

Re: CL Final - Final linesman denies Barca bias

This in my opinion is a disgrace, the lino should be shot...sorry replaced for tomorrow's game ;)

Why don't they just replace him? if there is any doubt at all - he should be replaced - What a dick!

This could be good for us though, he will be extra careful when awarding Barca any advantage, or he will be labelled a Cheat!!!

In the light of referees these days....Fairplay should start with them First

So he's not allowed to have a life then? :roll:

Rsss, Maybe he´ll get a ticket for the game now? :D

Dalhe Barça!

Hahaha... i think it's more about fair play.. To ensure both team equal fairness.. I'm sure you barcelona fans also don't wish to see The referee wearing Arsenal Kit.

Back
Top Bottom