Civilization: Revolution

Re: Civilization: Revolution for Xbox 360/PS3

Not worth playing now then?

I might take a look, cheers mate :TU:

Ordered from Shopto yesterday at 2pm and it game in the post today at 2pm :DD

Quick notes

- The game advances really fast - no doubt in an effort to keep online games under an hour or 2. you'll start off with nothing and within an hour, maybe less you can get tanks, planes and warships.

- The report earlier about the game NOT letting you sit back and win with culture/technology ... BULL!

At least on the easier difficulties you can easily build up cities put a few defenses in and then concentrate on culture or technology to win with the AI rarely attacking you.

They DO attack you, but no where near as badly as i expected after the eurogamer review. I was surrounded by 3 civs today and only the romans attacked me - the other 2 just ignored me and fought themselves for a little bit before the indian cities started to get fed up and ended up becoming mine.

In another game i just finished i launched a nuke at the Egyptians, who had warned me about using the weapon saying the rest of the world would condemn me. Well as soon as the atomic dust had settled EVERYONE turned on me and began to attack me. Though as i was on the easiest difficulty i had tanks and all sorts and they only had archers so they stood no chance. On a higher difficulty i think id have stood no chance.

I think the easiest setting is far far too easy - ive not found the ideal setting yet though - I'm guessing either of the middle 2 will be fine.

--

GAME OF THE WEEK

This is pretty nice

Each Sunday a new map will be available in this mode - Basically you play the map (and can re play over and over) and your best score is saved on the online leaderboards. You can even check how you did compared with your friends list.

Head 2 Head - (2 humans and 3 AI)
Teams - (2 teams of 2 humans and 1 AI)
Free for all - (4 Humans and 1 AI)

You can play any of these with less than the game asks for so for example free for all with 2 humans and the rest would be filled with ai. However if you want to play a ranked game you HAVE to have the requisite number of humans.

I don't know if you can do ranked with friends as the servers don't appear to be up - or theres no one else online with the game today --- because every time i tried to go online nothing would happen, id just get the cogs turning as the game searched until i got fed up and canceled.

-

So far i'm enjoying the game quite a lot - I've only done 1 game of the week match and one solo play match - ive not even touched the scenarios as they sound pretty tough - it's all stuff like 'The year is XXX, you have 2 cities and are at war with XXX who have 8. To win this scenario you must retain your two cities at all times and capture the enemies capital.

Compared to Civ IV?

I never played past Civ 2 so i cant say. No where near as detailed as even Civ 1 though - a lot of stuff is done for you like building irrigation and so on... and its really easy and fast to take a shitty city, plant some building down and suddenly it grows into a 20+ sixed city.

The 'great people' also help the game advance along - so having a bunch of them in one city can make something that takes 20 turns only take 6.

-

Just thought of 2 bad points though.

1 - the maps aren't big at all - id say they're pretty small ... they're big enough for you to get about 8 cities built and you'll probably run into an opponent after moving around to build a second or 3rd city.

2 - the fast advancement means you don't really get into micro managing. You seem to basically click on a city, pick an item to build and then forget about it until its built. With the 'great people' as well shortening the time it takes to build things you lose even more of that 'im in control and im running the city' feeling.

It's fun... but its not a patch on the pc versions... but its fun and thats about all it need to be really. I can see online being fun as well as the game wont drag on and on and on and team modes are always nice as well.

Just read about the small maps, oh well. My thoughts haven't changed and I'll wait til I can get it for a tenner or something then.

Cheers for your thoughts Radiation :TU:

It cost me £27 from shopto so it shouldn't be too long before its even cheaper as its a budget title already

Yeah Nat's complaining that the game advances way too fast, she only plays offline so why the hell can't users get choice about how fast/slow they want games to advance? Remember the days when there were option menus and we could choose things to cater for our own tastes?..........

Anyone still play Civ IV? It'd be interesting to play IV online :)

Reading peoples comments, it seems this Rev is still quality, albeit over in less than three hours. Quite tempted, it'd be fun to have a blast online :DD

Last edited by a moderator:

Nowhere near from what I've read. Check out the user reviews at places like Gameplay and ShopTo, "finished in a couple of hours" or words to that effect.

It's very basic - nowhere near as detailed as the pc games.

A game from start until the game finishes itself (games auto finish at the year 2100 and the best player by points wins at that point) is about 2-3 hours.

A lot of stuff is done for you like building roads is a simple click, purchase and its fully built.

I moved up from the lowest difficulty the other day and the next one up, 'warlord' is a better challenge. But ive nailed that now and im on the 3rd difficulty which is where the game really comes alive and the ai will really throw everything at you.

I have a few annoyances with it but ive been playing it every day this week and im really enjoying it.

Only been playing for an hour or so, at 50AD and already had two other civilizations threaten me and demand technology or they'll start a war! :censor:

This is the medium level (third tier), is it possible to do anything in this without shitty threats being thrown around and being forced into fights? How do people concentrate on trying to win through science if they have to spend all of their time building units to defend themselves?

Edit: Can't see me keeping this I'm afraid. The maps are TINY, bloody miniscule compared to Civ IV! The complete lack of being able to control workers, the constant hassle of being attacked, it just feels so dumbed down. Civ IV is MILES better than this :((

Last edited by a moderator:

the next difficulty down is better but the game is heavily focused on fighting - f'n annoying they dumbed it down

Been playing this today but i barely 10 mins in and got the unplayable/unreadable disc error whatever :(

EDIT: I still got Civ IV btw. If CIV REV ain't any good i'll just go back to the better one :)

Tried it again late last night, thought I'd give it some more time and maybe it'd grow on me.

It didn't. I'm disgusted at the tiny map and the general childish element of it all, completely takes away the Civ experience for me.

I'll stick to the DS version of Rev, the console version is piss-poor :((

How's the DS version like Dags?

Not out yet, 8th July I yhink. It's basically Civ Rev with worse graphics (obviously haha) but I don't mind the small map on the DS. I don't think a small map and the cut-downs should be on the PS3 and 360 when they clearly have so much power.

The DS gets a pass though ;))

Ok thanks for the quick response :)

I'll try Civ Rev again hoping I don't get the same error again but I must say i'm quite gutted the map is small :( I'm used to the massive maps of latter versions. Guess i'll see myself going back to Civ IV sooner than i thought..

I enjoyed the demo but agree that the maps are too small on the demo (are they pretty much the same size in the full game?). It's a shame because I think that the control system is good for a conversion of a mouse / keyboard based game, and the graphics etc are done in a good way. And the positive point about it is online games will be done in 2-3 hours which is more manageable than 6-7 hours for Civ IV (even if Civ IV is much better) and my PC stuggles with Civ IV.

Overall, it's a title I'd pay about £15 for, and hopefully it will come down to this price soon enough. Lami, which version do you have PS3 or Xbox ?? Does the disc look dodgy at all when it gives you an error?

Maps are still very small on the retail game as well.

Just got Civ II, so much better than Civ Rev!

Lami, which version do you have PS3 or Xbox ?? Does the disc look dodgy at all when it gives you an error?

I've got the 360 version. I can't play more than 5 mins now before i get the disc read error :SS Disc itself is clean as ever, if that is what you meant. I think its my 360 playing up. Its also happening to my newly bought Ninja Gaiden game.

Civ Rev is quality on the DS though ;))

Got me a new laptop and installed Civ IV on it. What a huge difference. This is actually much much better than Civ Rev. Can't believe i spent around 6 hrs on it and i ain't even half way through the game. Maybe because I take my time playing and such but that is why I love it :D

And until this very moment I haven't attacked no one except for the barbarian village next to my capital city only because they just wouldn't stop bugging me every now and then. Peace with the rest of the many civilizations and open borders, concentrating on wealth and culture feels really good. No one have declared war on me either. Maybe because i'm too wealthy and every time a leader demanded money or war i'd just give them money to piss off. Only happened 3 times though. I'm loving it!

:DD Yep, I played Civ IV again a few nights ago, SOOOO much better than Rev!

Well, it was while peace lasted for two hours. Then someone randomly declared war on me and I had no units stationed in my cities hardly. I got wasted :((

Me too, I played it pretty much all of Sunday... It's a great game, and I love the big maps. I hope firaxis dont give up on a next version of CivRev because some aspects of it were done really well (like controller abilities, graphic, and speed of game*) and even though the maps were too small and too much was stipped out overall, I think the foundations for a
great console game were there.

*by that I mean you could complete a game in 4 or so hours which IMO is perfect for online multiplayer gaming.

Sorry to drag this one up!

Never played a Civ before, but it kept tempting me in ASDA over the weeks at a budget price.

Caved in last night as I fancy something a bit slower paced. So far, I think its 'ok', but it doest seem very strategic at the moment - I'm kind of just pressing a few buttons and stuff is automatically being done.

I'm still on the basic tutorial skill level, so does it get more involved later? I was at peace with everyone I met, but there didnt seem to be a 'game' there - i.e. nobody attacked me, I was the best at everything on the ingame scoreboards etc. Seems like no challenge.

In the end, I did what any normal Englishman would do and declared War on Germany, so at least something is happening.

Like I say, seems like a good game, but not really sure what i am doing at the moment! Any pointers?

Back
Top Bottom