Cheap way to bost wireless broadband signal ?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cfdh_edmundo, 11 July 2008.

1. cfdh_edmundo

cfdh_edmundo Maverick

30 December 2002
    Hi, my wireless broadband router is downstairs and my PS3 and Xbox are upstairs.

When I play on the PS3 online and move the machine downstairs it plays fine, but anyting upstairs can have connections problems (slowness, connection dropping etc). I think it's because the distance is bigger (about 10 meters instead of about 2 meters).

Can anyone think of a cheap way to boost the signal so I can play it upstairs ?

Also, linked to this my Router is a BT Voyager (year of manufacture is about 2001 / 2002), has wirless router technology advanced a lot since then ? Should I just get a new router to solve the problems.

Any help / advice would be great!

Thanks

2. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    get a big cat5 cable and run it upstairs

3. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Yeah a new router with better range would be the safest bet imo.

4. FlawlessCowboy

FlawlessCowboy Stunted

5 July 2004
    Coventry, UK
    I have a Linksys Wireless ranger expander on my upstairs landing. It boosts the signal on my laptop / 360 from about 1 bar (my 360 doesn't even work online if its turned off) when off, and a full signal when turned out.

My router is a Linksys though so I don't know how well it would work, if at all, with a different make of router