Chant packs

The Doctor76

Premiership
27 February 2009
UK
Man Utd
Quick question about chants in PES 09. It seems that I'm only hearing the chants of the home fans, not a whimper from the away fans. Could a chants pack be causing that, or is it just a stupid design decision/mistake from Konami? In which case patch it, Konami! Having only one lot of fans chanting completely destroys the atmosphere. Of course, it doesn't matter too much with Konami's (rubbish) default chants, but if you've gone to the trouble of d/l a proper chants pack, then you really notice it.

I mean, what is it with Konami and sounds? They can't get the sound of the ball being kicked right, they feel the need to let you hear every touch of the ball, no matter how soft and what's with that 'scuffling' noise every time two players are jostling each other???? These sort of things belong in arcade games from the eighties, where you got a sound for the ball going up in the air and another one for it bouncing as well!

I don't know if anyone noticed, but in last year's Master League mode, you only ever heard chants from opposition fans and never from your own (there was a separate slot for 'your' Master League team, which only had room for a handful of chants). What's wrong with the somewhat radical(!) idea of having Man Utd chant Man Utd chants, Chelsea chanting Chelsea chants and so on, instead of hearing the same chants, no matter which team you chose to control? Also, isn't it time we were rid of 'League A', 'League B' and so on? They've clearly organised each league to represent 'English League', 'Italian League' etc, so why not just call the leagues that and have all the relevant logos and trophies that go with them?

Same with mine with a chantpack installed, only hear home fans. We don't ask for much do we, PES fans? All the things you mention would be SO easily fixed but year on year Konami just refuse to innovate or modify the master league in any meaningful way. Graphics aren't bad, gameplay is a MASSIVE improvement, why can't they just pay a bit more attention to detail? Better sounds, better commentary, more leagues, more stadium slots. We're not even asking for more licences which would cost money, but all of these things would require very little extra programming. Pleas sort it out Konami, PES is only hanging on because FIFA is so piss poor on the PC. I know loads of hardcore PESfans who've converted if theyve got consoles because of the travesty of PES2008

Same with mine with a chantpack installed, only hear home fans. We don't ask for much do we, PES fans? All the things you mention would be SO easily fixed but year on year Konami just refuse to innovate or modify the master league in any meaningful way. Graphics aren't bad, gameplay is a MASSIVE improvement, why can't they just pay a bit more attention to detail? Better sounds, better commentary, more leagues, more stadium slots. We're not even asking for more licences which would cost money, but all of these things would require very little extra programming. Pleas sort it out Konami, PES is only hanging on because FIFA is so piss poor on the PC. I know loads of hardcore PESfans who've converted if theyve got consoles because of the travesty of PES2008

Amen! If EA pull it out of the bag for PC 2010 (and include a BAL type mode with similar depth), then it'll be bye bye PES. But, I can't see that happening: EA Sport$ don't give a damn about the PC...

I mean, here are some of the very simple things that Konami could do to PES 09 to make it so much better. In no particular order:

Innovating the Master League: Even the simple addition of hiring/firing/chance of International Management would add a massive boost to this game mode! Note to Konami: 'Game Over' has never, ever had a place in a decent football game. Maybe you might have seen it in a footy game from the Eighties...
Oh and £/$ instead of sodding PES points! I mean, what is this supposed to be? An accurate, realistic footy sim (as you'd believe from the on pitch action), or some stupid arcade game for children (PES points instead of money, 'Game over' instead of hiring/firing and so on and so forth.)

Get some proper sounds for the kicking of the ball! Fifa have this nailed, even on the PC.

Give us more stadium slots! We can take care of filling them...

Ditto leagues.

Goalposts, Konami, are white. Not bloody grey! And when the heck was the last time anyone saw sandbags on the back of the goal net?

It isn't considered a good atmosphere if only one bloody lot of fans are singing! That was fine in PES 2008 (not to mention PES 6, where it was hard to differentiate between the game and a real football match after using a chant pack), why the bloody hell did they have to change it? Any atmosphere has now gone right out of the window, chant packs or no chant packs... Can anyone clarify whether that's the fault of the chants packs, or if that's just how the game is designed. Wasn't there an option in previous kitservers to choose the amount of home/away fans, maybe that could help with this...

..leading nicely on to: Chants! Even with the licenced teams, Konami just can't be bothered to get some decent chants! All the default chants sound as though they're being uttered by the (undead) cast of Left 4 Dead - there is no energy in the chanting at all.

Give us the option of team names or badges to be displayed in scoreboard? Sometimes if the team isn't well known, you forget who the hell you're playing against.

Konami. You go to all the trouble of accquiring a licence such as the Champions League, but what do you do with it? Nothing! All you do is include it in a separate game mode. Be honest, people. How many of you want to play the CL as a separate mode, instead of it being properly implemented in BAL and Master League? You have the licence idiots, so you can include it in whichever game mode you like! If this is a sign of what Konami would do with the Fifa licence, I hope they never get it. And unless they're actually going to include the CL licence in the main game, instead of a stupid standalone mode, I hope they lose that as well. I mean, they don't even stage the European games at night outside of CL mode! Or give us the option to choose it for ourselves.

I really could go on, but year after year, Konami just trot out the same tired rubbish (BAL mode aside). :YAWN:

Once again, can anyone clarify whether it's the fault of the chants packs that we can only hear the home fans, or if it's just Konami who think that away fans are no longer allowed at football grounds?

Ok, rant over. :)

Edit: @NoBull, have you a link to the chants pack you're using? And one other thing, when you download data from within the game, what exactly is being downloaded? I thought I read somewhere you're supposed to be able to d/l team chants directly into the game. What was that, a load of rubbish?

Last edited:
Sorry mate I can't for the life of me remember which chant pack it is. I think it might be the one that comes with the EVOLUTION patch cos thats what I've currently got installed. Havnt heard of downloading chants within the game I think d/l within the game is just for official konami updates.

Totally agree about the Champs league license. WHAT A FUCKING WASTE!!! Yep playing European games in the middle of the day in masterleague totally takes away from the european atmosphere and you're right I havnt played a single champions league mode.

p.s. great result against inter wasnt it ;)

Sorry mate I can't for the life of me remember which chant pack it is. I think it might be the one that comes with the EVOLUTION patch cos thats what I've currently got installed. Havnt heard of downloading chants within the game I think d/l within the game is just for official konami updates.

Totally agree about the Champs league license. WHAT A FUCKING WASTE!!! Yep playing European games in the middle of the day in masterleague totally takes away from the european atmosphere and you're right I havnt played a single champions league mode.

p.s. great result against inter wasnt it ;)

Superb stuff. Now, bring on Liverpool, or Chelsea, or Arsenal, or anyone! But it would be especially sweet to dump Liverpool out, or dump Chelsea out again!

Re the CL licence, do you reckon there's any way it can be modded into the 'main' game?

Oh, and Konami, the clue is in the phrase 'European Nights'. That means that all Euro games are played at...NIGHT! Idiots.

LOL, as if KONAMI cared about its customers anymore...

I hope for konami's sake that PES 2008 and 2009 were just band-aid games for what is supposed to be the real next gen PES game with 2010. I haven't played ML all that much so I totally love PES for it, but it needs a serious makeover because if FIFA comes out with something like ML and with FIFA 09 gameplay, guess which game I'll be playing instead of PES next year (not to mention I'm already playing FIFA instead of PES 09!)

Still think PES 5&6 are great games though.

LOL, as if KONAMI cared about its customers anymore...

I hope for konami's sake that PES 2008 and 2009 were just band-aid games for what is supposed to be the real next gen PES game with 2010. I haven't played ML all that much so I totally love PES for it, but it needs a serious makeover because if FIFA comes out with something like ML and with FIFA 09 gameplay, guess which game I'll be playing instead of PES next year (not to mention I'm already playing FIFA instead of PES 09!)

Still think PES 5&6 are great games though.

Well, Konami kept blathering about how PES 09 was going to be the 'big overhaul'. Where is it then, Konami? Some half baked effort at getting the CL licence, only to completely waste it???? Granted, BAL is a great mode, but even that suffers from the lack of attention to detail that's present in the 'official CL mode'. And as you said, if EA finally pull their finger out with the PC version, then PES will not be on my shelf any longer: I think NG Fifa 09 is the best football game ever made and it's version of BAL is even deeper than Konami's, isn't it?

So, is there any fix to the chants problem ? I mean, they're awesome, but hearing chants only from the home team is really bad.

So, is there any fix to the chants problem ? I mean, they're awesome, but hearing chants only from the home team is really bad.

Can anyone clarify whether this happens without any chant packs installed? I mean, this is a ridiculous situation and what I don't get is in all other PES games I've played, you can hear both sets of fans and with a decent chantpack installed, the game's atmosphere is amazing. Now, it's crap, no matter how good the chants are. Well done, Konami. Another case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!' :CURSE:

The only thing I can think of is whether there's a variable somewhere that controls how many home/away fans are in the ground. I remember, some versions of Kitserver I've seen come with an option to control the balance of home/away fans.

Last edited:
well,in pes09 you can't hear away chant because of konami's stupidity...it's not chantspaks's fault,whoever is the author of the pack.
i think they have decided to program the game in this way to reduce online lag (the same for the online commentary)...less things during the game,less lag
the ML problem is the same since years,there are some default slots to be used for that competition...it was the same also with previous pes editions.
i've never understood why they have left the "pes6" solution,with alternate chants for home and away fans....
pes08 atmosphere was shite,because there was too much noise hearing simoultaneously the fans with different volumes,but maybe it could be improved.... the choice of only home fans made for pes09 is absolutely stupid and unreal but we can't do anything (maybe only Juce or similar "gods of editing" can try to find a solution with an external tool)

well,in pes09 you can't hear away chant because of konami's stupidity...it's not chantspaks's fault,whoever is the author of the pack.
i think they have decided to program the game in this way to reduce online lag (the same for the online commentary)...less things during the game,less lag
the ML problem is the same since years,there are some default slots to be used for that competition...it was the same also with previous pes editions.
i've never understood why they have left the "pes6" solution,with alternate chants for home and away fans....
pes08 atmosphere was shite,because there was too much noise hearing simoultaneously the fans with different volumes,but maybe it could be improved.... the choice of only home fans made for pes09 is absolutely stupid and unreal but we can't do anything (maybe only Juce or similar "gods of editing" can try to find a solution with an external tool)

Ah well. Thanks for clearing it up and you're right. PES 6 had chants for the teams that were on the pitch at the damn time, no matter which mode you were playing under! I'm none too hopeful about Juce doing anything, if he's stopped making Kitserver, why should he do anything about this retarded design decision? And is it just me mate, or is it a lot harder to apply any kind of patch/mod to this game compared to earlier versions (even PES 2008)?

One other question. With your chants pack, I'm not getting chants for all EPL teams. Is that what's supposed to happen, or have I done something wrong during installation? I followed the instructions to the letter. Great work with the chants I have got though, they're amazing. It's just a pity that Konami have decided to ban away fans. And with those prats at EA seemingly intent on treating PC gamers as second class citizens as far as Fifa's concerned, it looks like we're stuck with it! I mean, can you imagine a World Cup (or any other) Final where you can only hear one lot of fans chanting? Patch this, Konami! NOW!

Any genius programmers out there know how to get into the game to fix this issue?

Edit: Ah, I see what I've done wrong now, I need this 'chant relink' tool. Well, hopefully it's easy to use...

Edit2: Nope. It looks really complicated! What happened to the easy patching method for PES 2008 and earlier?

Last edited:
My chants folder is about 800 MB. I simply copy it into the Kitserver folder and it seems to work for all teams. Have you used Chantpack 1.6 by "I don't know who at the moment..." ?

Thanks for your replies.

I'm afraid that I have to go back to PES 6. Worse graphics, maybe worse gameplay, but a lot better atmosphere, great stadiums, snow, which is missing from PES 08 and 09, and so on.

We now have crowd goal sounds , after goal music ,
sadly only thing missing is away chants.

Not going back to PES6 just for that.

Nope, I'm far too much in love with BAL to even think about going back to PES 6. Patch this nonsense, Konami. It won't be hard and it'll provide the game with an unbelievable atmosphere.

I said so, but I don't do it. The bad thing is that Konami improves some aspects, adds new features, but they also do bad things, like the chants issue, the missing snow, the infinite stadium slots, and so on. If they would have kept these things from PES 6 also in PES 2009, it would have been the perfect soccer game.

Back
Top Bottom