Career Mode Youth Prodigies.

TheJinxedOne

Valar Morghulis.
20 July 2011
The Red Keep
CM: Bradford & ML: N/A
Basically, we have a thread aimed at CM as a whole, but I thought we could do with one some specifically at my favourite aspec of the game: Youth Academy players.

Basically post any gems or perhaps duds your scout has found preferably using this lay out:
Club:
Player name:
Position:
Overall:
Potential:
Strengths:

I will start...

Club: Bristol Rovers
Player name: Garry Chadwick
Position: Centre Midfielder
Nationality: English
Overall: 54-58
Potential: 81-87
Strengths: Dribbling (51-87) FK Accuracy (41-89) Ball Control (52-78)

Club: Bristol Rovers
Player name: Lewis Legge
Position: Goalkeeper
Overall: 62-66
Potential: 81-87
Strengths: Reflexes (72) Handling (70) Positioning (61-73)

Club: Brisol Rovers
Player name: Teddy Hope
Position: Left Back
Overall: 65-69
Potential: 84-90
Strengths: Marking (66-88) Stand Tackle (64-91) Strength (72)

Hopefully this thread will take off, and we can all share our youth successes and failures as a community and also update with if player achieve their potential or not :)

The only interest I have in youth players is in how much revenue they can bring in for me, right now I have 4 or 5 16-17 year olds worth £4m-£5.5m, will grow them until they're 18 or want contracts and then sell them right away :)

The only interest I have in youth players is in how much revenue they can bring in for me, right now I have 4 or 5 16-17 year olds worth £4m-£5.5m, will grow them until they're 18 or want contracts and then sell them right away :)

Damn, and you were one of the people I was hoping would help keep this alive!

Sorry the youth players don't interest me, they're too generic, I can't stand the black head outlines for one thing, and they never have secondary positions or traits :(

The black head thing is annoying I'll give you that, the lack of traits is compensated by the fact they do gain Specialties after a while, I'm trying to sale the idea to you, any luck? ;)

problem for me is if i sign 14-16 year olds it means i need to remain at club for around 4-5 years before i can start playing with them. I havent even done 5 years in 1 career mode yet never mind with one club.

Sorry the youth players don't interest me, they're too generic, I can't stand the black head outlines for one thing, and they never have secondary positions or traits :(

Yep.

They need to have generated faces from the player models.

Also, I would appreciate some ability to train them and increase their attributes (and positions, traits, etc) as well. Train them in technique or physical ability, movement, positioning, etc. and have my academy attempt to produce players emphasizing those skills.

Last year the CM dude said he wanted to do something about the black head thing but didn't have time so it was a "hopefully next year", so we'll see :)

The black head thing is annoying I'll give you that, the lack of traits is compensated by the fact they do gain Specialties after a while, I'm trying to sale the idea to you, any luck? ;)

Yeah but specialities are meaningless, it's just a visual representation of some stats, like aerial threat doesn't mean they're more of a threat in the air beyond their 80+heading+tallness+jumping or whatnot, whereas power header or target man (old trait) made a difference.

I love youth players and the whole scouting/signing up and development aspect of them is one of the main reasons I've stayed interested in CM this long.

There is room for a LOT of improvements in this regard though and hopefully Fifa 13 should use all this as a basis to take it all much further.

But yeah I do enjoy it and I don't just sell them for profit. I actually keep the ones that have higher OVR like mid 60's in my team and give them as much playing time as possible.

I've even gotten over the lack of pictures though that's certainly annoying, what I DO HATE is how it seems the vast majority of these youth players, no matter how fast, skilful, how high the OVR or potential start with 2 star Skill ratings and 2 star Weak foot.

That's annoying! Because even when you get a fast technical flamboyant winger/striker, he's unskillful in the sense that he has 2 stars. And I don't know if that improves. I heard weak foot rating can when they get older.

I'm okay with defenders or DMF's having 2 star skill moves but nothing would be better than seeing a talented 16 year old winger pop up with 4 star skill move kinda like a young Ronaldo at Sporting. But at LEAST give them the 3 default stars, not 2.

I know this has fallen on its arse vey quick..
But I played FIFA 11 today for the first time, and my good lord CM had developed insanely on one year, do who knows.. All your gripes with the Youth Players may be worked out pretty quickly by next year!

Well I think the CM we have now is more like 2 years work, they simply ripped everything out of 10's MM which was broken (so basically 90% of it) and put it into 11's CM in a stable (but extremely limited) manner.

But yes I have high hopes for 13's CM! :)

how many years do you generally do per career and per club..

I aint ever even gone 3+ years...so youth players though fun has been pointless. If you move club you lose the scouts adn youth players u signed?

how many years do you generally do per career and per club..

I aint ever even gone 3+ years...so youth players though fun has been pointless. If you move club you lose the scouts adn youth players u signed?

I tend to start at a low league a low league club, such as Crawley Town, Crewe, Bristol Rovers and Wimbledon..
So each career is like a personal project.. My careers tend to last till I get fired, then I start again..
My rovers one is still going strong though, I'm about 6-7 year in (sim the games) and have a fairly strong Squad and Youth sytem.

Couldn't. Agree. More.

Two things need to happen for me:

1) The black silhouettes gotta go. This goes for all players without real face images, not just youth players. I think I'd rather have nothing in that space than a blank silhouette. Hopefully something will happen with this next gen. Don't see it happening sooner.

2) Greater customization. From boots to appearances to training and traits - I want to be more involved in who these guys are. Hell, it might even be fun to be able to choose their physical appearances and names even. The more ways the game can make you feel invested in your players, the better.

And greater customization of all players - boots, kits, etc - in CM is a must.

Couldn't. Agree. More.

Two things need to happen for me:

1) The black silhouettes gotta go. This goes for all players without real face images, not just youth players. I think I'd rather have nothing in that space than a blank silhouette. Hopefully something will happen with this next gen. Don't see it happening sooner.

2) Greater customization. From boots to appearances to training and traits - I want to be more involved in who these guys are. Hell, it might even be fun to be able to choose their physical appearances and names even. The more ways the game can make you feel invested in your players, the better.

Changing there boots and stuff would be good, maybe not naming them yourself but maybe giving your players a nickname..

Hell, it can't be hard to just add a commentator name to then as well! So annoying in the cup when I start several youth players and the commentator is silent till you shoot!

Changing there boots and stuff would be good, maybe not naming them yourself but maybe giving your players a nickname..

Hell, it can't be hard to just add a commentator name to then as well! So annoying in the cup when I start several youth players and the commentator is silent till you shoot!

Well if you're able to name them yourself, then you could assure that they have a commentator name. Although this should be done by default. That it's not is just plain dumb.

Personally, I'm one who believes the more options the better:

Give me a default name, but let me change it if I want to;

Give me default boots, but let me change them if I want to;

Give me random or default kit and uniform accessories, but let me change them if I want to.

Absolutely agree with all of that, especially the call names, the surnames are in a list so I don't see why they can't have Tyler read that list when they're all pretty common names which would be good for people to use on their VP's anyways.

Absolutely agree with all of that, especially the call names, the surnames are in a list so I don't see why they can't have Tyler read that list when they're all pretty common names which would be good for people to use on their VP's anyways.

Yeah, there's some simple things - or at least you'd think they'd be simple - that could be done to really help the experience.

Like, how hard is it that when players are created, the creation engine, or whatever it is, randomly selects from the list of surnames the commentators can use?

Also, it drives me nuts that this same program does not assign any of the real boots in the game, only the generic EA-created ones.

Things like this might be trivial when compared to some of the gameplay issues, but man they drive me nuts.

Yeah, there's some simple things - or at least you'd think they'd be simple - that could be done to really help the experience.

Like, how hard is it that when players are created, the creation engine, or whatever it is, randomly selects from the list of surnames the commentators can use?

Also, it drives me nuts that this same program does not assign any of the real boots in the game, only the generic EA-created ones.

Things like this might be trivial when compared to some of the gameplay issues, but man they drive me nuts.

All great ideas... as for game-created players not using real boots, maybe that's a licensing issue and EA isn't allowed to use them. EA really does need to give the player a greater connection to the created/youth players that propagate the game after a few seasons. Right now they are basically just ghosts.

All great ideas... as for game-created players not using real boots, maybe that's a licensing issue and EA isn't allowed to use them. EA really does need to give the player a greater connection to the created/youth players that propagate the game after a few seasons. Right now they are basically just ghosts.

Who knows, maybe it is a licensing thing, though that'd be quite odd since you can create players yourself and use the licensed boots.

My guess is it's just poor programming and/or lack of attention to detail.

But like you said, these players play an increasingly prominent role in CM the further you go into your career, so getting this stuff right is important.

Okay, it looks like I've inadvertently set up a "these things which are wrong with Youth Players on FIFA" but the more I play I realise the faults more and more, my latest frustration is a player I have signed.. He is a CM with good short passing and Tackling stats, but because his other CM related stats are low he's only 58 overall, and cause he isn't a DMF his overall will stay low so noone will take him on loan, even though with the correct position he would at least 61-63.

I also have a 57 rated LM, who can't cross or dribble for shit.. But he has incredible Finishing and Speed stats, so I played him in LM through a whole season (his potential was 85-91 so I want him to develop) he hit 22 goals, and finished as the league top scorer..
While players are in your youth system, they should have a preferred position, and then one which you pick for them if you feel their stats fit that one better..

Have you tried putting him up for loan? I find the AI really don't care they'll loan anyone it's just hit and miss whether you can find someone to take them but if (for example) you reload and keep doing the same week eventually a team will loan that player from you (unless his wage is too high then it bugs).

Have you tried putting him up for loan? I find the AI really don't care they'll loan anyone it's just hit and miss whether you can find someone to take them but if (for example) you reload and keep doing the same week eventually a team will loan that player from you (unless his wage is too high then it bugs).

Tried and failed, normally I don't like loaning to teams who have players better than mine, I even bought Huddersfields keeper to ensure my keeper would play!
But this guy didn't even get a bid, and I hate having to exit and reload constantly

Back
Top Bottom