Can something be done about this guy selling patch WE9 on Ebay?

MasterM said:
Patchmakers dont charge us for money do they? So obviously they dont want money?
And RuneEdge if your so concerned about the patchmakers why dont you donate some cash to them?
Its not about money. The patch makers dont want cash. But its unfair for someone who did f*ck all to show up and make money off it. Its the same thing as selling freeware games or programs to people. Its wrong. Its not meant to be sold. And if it was, the money should go to the person who made it.

If someone in the editing forum made a great patch, I appreciate how much effort that person went through. Which why you will see people like me thank the person cuz its the least we can do.

The people here that dont give a damn about the ebay thing are the same people who leech the files and take everything for granted. What would you say if someone like Kel came out and said "I'm no longer gonna make kits because people are selling these patches illegally and maing money off my efforts"?

w11forever said:
hmmmm and what about all you guys running a patched version of winning eleven/pes? did you lot get permission from konami to make a legal back up and patch it? i dont think so
@Sulph....lmfao so you dont make a copy of winning eleven/pes every time you patch it? i would call that piracy and what about the guy that modded your ps2 did he get permission from sony to bypass the protection in the ps2 bios?no, but do ppl complain when they charge for chipping?no, so why moan about a guy who is selling a few copies on ebay for a little cash.

now you made me lmfao rockykabir
i thought any modification to any file on a game was illegal unless the company gave you rights to do so, so the modders are doing an "illegal activity " if yo want to look at it that way

Just my OPINION. :lmao:

Its not piracy if i dont sell my copied versions!

I still bought the real game!

Sulph said:
Its not piracy if i dont sell my copied versions!

I still bought the real game!

Even if you give it away for free, its still piracy.

Anyway, if patchmakers stopped distributing patches, nobody would blame them, I wouldn't.

But it would not stop 'piracy'. BEcause there are so many other items not jsut games being pirated.

Want the latest DVD's, you can get a copy of Star Wars Ep 3 in SE Asia for USD 2.50. An it's not a camcorder copy. So where's the leak. The leak is a tthe studio (Promo copy). So pirates reach is far wider ranging than a stupid amatuer on E-bay trying to make a quick buck.

If there is a willing buyer/willing seller situation you can never put an end to it. Thats why its so rampant.

Cheers.

I havent distributed any copies though, i have just bought my own and been copying it myself for my own use, so this is not piracy and is legal.

Sulph said:
I havent distributed any copies though, i have just bought my own and been copying it myself for my own use, so this is not piracy and is legal.

\\:o/ I know man. Do what you want to do with you copy sulph. And have fun with WE9.

Cheers

yeah, like what jiwa said, over in South East Asia, the retailers who sell the pirated games have tons of pathched versions and everything, but they don't even realize that it's just the jerseys and and stuff which have been changed, and they tell you it's a "new version".

Over here they know that the game has been modified by patchers but they dont care, they just download and burn, then sell it as the English version with kits and transfers etc.

Patching is tricky bussiness. it depends on platforms and editors so it's difficult to avoid it and also to sue it.

Example: In PS2 you have strick control over content and a fight against piracy, Konami spends stupid time trying to encrypt and avoid patching. Meanwhile in PC some companies sponsor patching by including development kits for patchers, publicising patches and even marketing some.It's all about marketing.

Konami is in a tricky position because while in PS2 they have to play by Sony (stupid) rules in the PC they are simply outplaced, in a platform were patching is usual, accepted and sponsored. And it even makes sense since PES will never be able to keep up with licenses, transfers and updates.

About selling patched versions.. for me it's wrong and I can speak cause I participated in a huge patch, maybe one of the patches that gave more work ever since it was a complete rebuild of the whole player database, Classicos 2004. I know in some countries that's usual (Brazil, completely outlaw, patchers sell patched versions big time no stres) but I think it's wrong.

w11forever said:
now you made me lmfao rockykabir
i thought any modification to any file on a game was illegal unless the company gave you rights to do so, so the modders are doing an "illegal activity " if yo want to look at it that way.

Not necessarily. If you brought the game you can do whatever you want with it - as long as you don't make illegal copies. Patching your own game is not illegal. I'm presuming Konami don't like the idea of patching as it indirectly promotes illegal backups (i.e. you need a modchip -> facilitates the use of illegal backups).

actually you will "probably" find, that you are breaking some copyright laws against konami.. for actually modifying their game..

even if you have bought the game, which means you own it... but you havn't bought the right to modify or change it

but anyhow enjoy your own version of we 9 and let's get on with it!

Last edited:
I'm going to China in a week, so I'll be able to witness what jiwa is talking about first hand. Yipeee!

btw jiwa, I found your post very interesting and informative, not to mention well-written. kudos:)

rockykabir said:
Not necessarily. If you brought the game you can do whatever you want with it - as long as you don't make illegal copies. Patching your own game is not illegal. I'm presuming Konami don't like the idea of patching as it indirectly promotes illegal backups (i.e. you need a modchip -> facilitates the use of illegal backups).
Patching is mainly illegal because we are putting in copyrighted stuff, like kits with company's logos, music, boots and players' likeness.

Nice post jiwa :applause: ive seen a lot of this stuff too. in HK (hong kong) u can get 5-8 games for $100 HKD which is about $17 canadian. They have whole plaza's that sell nothing but pirated stuff. and about the controllers, i bought a PS2 controller that looked exactly the same as real Sony controllers. turned out it was fake and broke in a few weeks (the parts inside were falling apart :| ).
like jiwa said its gonna be hard to stop piracy without a foolproof way.

The thing? Do you mean Golden Computer Arcade in Sham Shui Po?

There are many around in HK, in Wan Chai too!

Yes those controllers should not be bought, but the games work and are sold for very cheap prices, I wouldnt be surprised if I found patches that have been posted here for sale over there!

Piracy.. sigh

Sulph said:

Yes those controllers should not be bought, but the games work and are sold for very cheap prices, I wouldnt be surprised if I found patches that have been posted here for sale over there!

Piracy.. sigh
ya the one in sham shui po! almost everything is pirated in there, apart from the computer stores.... i only visit hk, i live in toronto.

Sulph said:

Piracy.. sigh
No, I've not been to HKG, but I suppose its prevalent there too. If you're going to Malaysia or Indonesia I can tell you where to you see this.

Cheers,

JayD said:
If he's really that bothered then maybe he shouldn't do it any more, I'm just saying let the guy have his little earner. Maybe Fernando and all those who put so much time into this stuff should do the same?

And if we are so bothered about suice bombings maybe we should just all kill ourselves? You say maybe his family is poor, so what if they are, does that mean he can for example rob places at gunpoint because he has to feed his family?

Tell you what, since your such a nice guy why dont you send the guy 80% of the money you earn just to help him feed his kids?. Or better yet, buy a car and then let someone steal it just so he can buy his kid something to eat.

Think about it, it isn't even worth selling them, as ebay take a fee for even putting them on there, then there is a seller fee once sold and then there is a paypal charge

lol

work it out.. thats sod all!

anyways the internet is a brilliant place to share ideas/knowledge and information there are always going to be someone selling free information, but lets keep it real and just enjoy the releases and use them for our own personal use/pleasure...

thanks to fernando and co.

Sulph said:
yes it is illegal unless you get permission from the company to do so this shit as been around for ages...once and for all no matter what country you live in it is illegal to make a backup without the copyright holders permission even if its for your own use....oh and did you get permission from sony to bypass the checks in the bios for checking against copys?no, no matter which way you boot a copy you are bypassing the check routine.
rockykabir said:
Not necessarily. If you brought the game you can do whatever you want with it - as long as you don't make illegal copies. Patching your own game is not illegal.
:lmao:
when you buy the game thats all you are doing is buying the game and not buying the copyrights to it, so you can do whatever you want with it. and yes patching is illegal as you are altering files without copyright holders permission the only way patching isnt illegal is when the copyright holders give permission for it to be altered(modded) and the main reasons for that is to increase the lifespan of the game and make more sales of the game.
oh and Sulph if you wann get technical about copying give trading standards a call and they will tell you the same as what i wrote trust me i have been busted twice for copying games in the past 6 years so i know what im on about when it comes to copys. ;)
read the small print on the original cd/dvd it will say something like this....unauthorized copying,reverse engineering, transmission, public performance, rental, pay for play or circumvention of copy protection is strictly prohibited.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. he's selling a pirated game
2. he's selling a patch made by the community and which is free for the community
3. he's a fuckin retard

kingpug said:
And if we are so bothered about suice bombings maybe we should just all kill ourselves? You say maybe his family is poor, so what if they are, does that mean he can for example rob places at gunpoint because he has to feed his family?

Tell you what, since your such a nice guy why dont you send the guy 80% of the money you earn just to help him feed his kids?. Or better yet, buy a car and then let someone steal it just so he can buy his kid something to eat.

You really are a bit crazy aren't you. Firstly what's a suice bombing and whats that got to do with a patched copy of winning eleven? And there's a world of difference between robbing a place at gun point ( somebody could get killed or at least very traumatised ) and selling a patched game. I never said I was a nice guy and lastly I've got my own kids to feed so i cant afford to help him sorry! Your a strange dude. I think you should change your sig to mug instead of pug.

Where did I said it had anything to do with it?..its the concept, your saying if we dont like it we shouldnt do it, its like saying, well if you dont want your car stolen dont buy one!

It aint the point, the patch was FREE, the author asked people NOT to sell it, and someone doesnt listen and goes away and sells it on ebay and you seem to think this is perfectly fine?..

kingpug said:
Where did I said it had anything to do with it?..its the concept, your saying if we dont like it we shouldnt do it, its like saying, well if you dont want your car stolen dont buy one!

It aint the point, the patch was FREE, the author asked people NOT to sell it, and someone doesnt listen and goes away and sells it on ebay and you seem to think this is perfectly fine?..

Mate, the fact is, it's a patch. Period. I aint gonna get excited over someone selling it. Each to their own and all that.

Doesnt matter if its a patch or a submarine, fact is he is ripping the author off, a book is just a book, but if I copied every page from that and sold it as another book people wouldnt be happy, well only you ofcourse.

kingpug said:
Doesnt matter if its a patch or a submarine, fact is he is ripping the author off, a book is just a book, but if I copied every page from that and sold it as another book people wouldnt be happy, well only you ofcourse.
You win.

Mug.

Back
Top Bottom