Camera View that makes the Game... not tennis

iGreedyFekkerHD

Drenkie Je Fong
19 February 2021
Newcastle United
okay okay calm down, hold your horses...
i know tennis is shown on television in front-to-back view, at least in recent years. so no offence to anyone who's into that sport.
i have been playing older Fifa's and pretty much every Pro Evo game, in the top-down or

^ attack ^ - v defend v

camera settings, just because i couldn't bear the whole left-to-right cr@p of the old days on the N64 or PS2.
that said, i remember i did enjoy the ISS-2000 or Fifa 99, or PES 6 / 2008 in the "traditional" camera angle, but someday something just clicked
( or popped ? ) and i told myself: enuffa this cr@p like Tennis or Pong, i will change the Camera Perspective, to something that i know and love from Madden NFL etc
i switched to "Pro" Camera in Fifa (and f*ck yeah, i got seasick as fekkin hell for the first 10 matches or so) and to "Vertical" or "Player 2" in Pro Evo...
and man, i never looked back. once i figured out the "acceptable" settings in Camera Speed and Swing (Fifa Pro Cam) and had gotten used to it,
i stuck with it. :BOUNCE:
i can't imagine going back to "Tele" or "Broadcast" or whatever they're called, and i wonder, what are you Guys (and Girls) thinking ?
any of you ever played a full Season or even a full Career Mode in these top-down Camera Angles ?
am i the only Perro Loco or do other People see the point i'm trying to make ?
looking forward to your opinions and experiences, cheerio :GSCARF:

P.S. i'll see that i'll take some screenshots / clips to show the "beauty" of the different view

I've tried playing FIFA this way back in the day (it was FIFA 20 I believe) out of curiosity, but also the "end to end" camera while being interesting (especially for shooting as you could see the goal better than you do on default cameras) swinged and zoomed in/out too much for my liking.
Not as much as the "pro" one of course, but still too much.

Its interesting which cam people use in sportsgames, and god knows how it became the "norm".
Football games are often played the way we see them on tv ,broadcast/tele broadcast type of camera, has pretty much been that way since day one.
NHL franchise and its most popular camera (only camera on early games) is the classic cam, pretty much from the roof and down to the ice.
Same for NBA2K, a bit up and from behind your own back board and forwar (2k cam)
None of those two are the way we see it on tv, but the football ones are.2K
Find that quite interesting

I play 2K on broadcast which takes a lot of getting used to, luckily you can set the controller so its easier to play it that way.
Tried it on NHL as well, looks amazing but hard as hell

Its interesting which cam people use in sportsgames, and god knows how it became the "norm".
Football games are often played the way we see them on tv ,broadcast/tele broadcast type of camera, has pretty much been that way since day one.
NHL franchise and its most popular camera (only camera on early games) is the classic cam, pretty much from the roof and down to the ice.
Same for NBA2K, a bit up and from behind your own back board and forwar (2k cam)

I play 2K on broadcast which takes a lot of getting used to, luckily you can set the controller so its easier to play it that way.
That default NBA 2k camera when it always changes point of view depending on when you have a ball and when you defend makes me literally sick. I have a headache every time the camera makes a quick 180° rotation so I use some TV camera for that.

Using top-down camera for football games can be kinda cool, I have to try that, it can give you a completely different look at the game and opens many possibilities for new smart passes

That default NBA 2k camera when it always changes point of view depending on when you have a ball and when you defend makes me literally sick. I have a headache every time the camera makes a quick 180° rotation so I use some TV camera for that.

Using top-down camera for football games can be kinda cool, I have to try that, it can give you a completely different look at the game and opens many possibilities for new smart passes
never liked the 2k cam, once i got used to broadcast cam on 2k14, ive never looked back

I've tried playing FIFA this way back in the day (it was FIFA 20 I believe) out of curiosity, but also the "end to end" camera while being interesting (especially for shooting as you could see the goal better than you do on default cameras) swinged and zoomed in/out too much for my liking.
Not as much as the "pro" one of course, but still too much.
i can only recommend mate, that you try it again sometime, maybe an older Fifa like 12 or 13 version, and set the Speed and Swing to very low (between 4 to 6 maybe), try on lower difficulty until you get used to it.
might be that i'm totally crazy but i remember it was almost some kinda video-game-revelation when i got the hang of it.

yeah funny isn't it, i do remember fiddling with NHL 11 or 12 (can't remember exactly which) in Be a Pro, it was fun but also pretty challenging, especially cos my player wouldn't do shyte except skate around - probably cos i didn't have many skill points, being a rookie in that game means you're a total chump and even shots on goal get blocked or scuffed wide :LOL:
i'll see that i'll post a short clip tomorrow of some footage from PES

i can only recommend mate, that you try it again sometime, maybe an older Fifa like 12 or 13 version, and set the Speed and Swing to very low (between 4 to 6 maybe), try on lower difficulty until you get used to it.
might be that i'm totally crazy but i remember it was almost some kinda video-game-revelation when i got the hang of it.
I'm going to see if there's something like that in PES (honestly I've never tried it with PES), and it would be a huuuuge trip down memory lane if so...

Because one of the first Konami football games I ever played had a camera similar to the one featured in FIFA (basically behind the goal but swinging when the players were on the flanks):

I'm going to see if there's something like that in PES (honestly I've never tried it with PES), and it would be a huuuuge trip down memory lane if so...

Because one of the first Konami football games I ever played had a camera similar to the one featured in FIFA (basically behind the goal but swinging when the players were on the flanks):

man that sound in the menu, its hilarious.
the commentary too, reminds me of the "Old Days" when games weren't taking themselves too seriously ;)

i did a quick editing session, after recording a match in Vertical Cam.
the only thing bugging me a little, is the Camera Crane behind the Goal, especially when you're defending.
Thats one thing Fifa does better with the Pro Camera, it's less "obstructing" because i remember it just zooms up, away from the ball a little bit when you're defending close to your own Goal, a little Swing to the Side as well.
like i said, it's my default Camera for any Pro Evo Game, so engaging when you start a new Master League etc

okay so i did a re-upload, not sure if the video is as wonky and messed up for you guys when watching, as it looks in my web browser ?
might have to use a different browser, let me know if its messed up for you too

Last edited:
I very much prefer a vertical cam because it's closer to the view you would have on a pitch (and it's easier to aim at goal on FUMA) but I can't for the life of me fine tune nesa24's custom cam mod so my field of view is consistent and clear. I either have to zoom up too high and don't see well on attack or too close to defend. Have you tried messing with the settings on that mod?

wow yeah, custom cam would be even better with Vertical or Player Cam, sadly i'm on PS4, don't have money for a decent PC currently.
it seems all the Camera Angles are locked to default on PS4, unless i'm totally stoopid ? a certain button combo needed or something ?
i'd love to adjust the view a bit, with the defending close to my own Goal being the only gripe i have with the camera settings

wow yeah, custom cam would be even better with Vertical or Player Cam, sadly i'm on PS4, don't have money for a decent PC currently.
it seems all the Camera Angles are locked to default on PS4, unless i'm totally stoopid ? a certain button combo needed or something ?
i'd love to adjust the view a bit, with the defending close to my own Goal being the only gripe i have with the camera settings
You can customize the zoom, height and angle of any camera (except Broadcast) while you are in a match. You cannot customize the parameters in menu.

You can customize the zoom, height and angle of any camera (except Broadcast) while you are in a match. You cannot customize the parameters in menu.
i'll try it again, i have looked at it multiple times in multiple PES games, the options to change camera values were always greyed out and locked default, in-match as well.
will see if i can upload a short bit on it

so like i remembered, no custom camera in top-down view on PS4. see video below, its locked to default.
in left-to-right Cameras some fiddling is possible. maybe because they're Mainstream, everyone else plays that way i guess

Back
Top Bottom