Calling all Londoners! Moving To London, need advice please!

A

Adonis

Hi guys,

I'm going to be moving to London within the next few weeks, and am totally lost on where to move to. Im looking to rent as I expect to be back in Manchester between 6-12 months. My budget is quite varied. Im looking to spend between £600-1100 a month, totally depends on location.

Priority is easy access to Oxford Street/Oxford Circus as I'll be working there. And as I'm going with my fiance I prefer no shared accomodation.

I've checked Gumtree etc, just wanted to get a general idea of what I can get with my budget from folks who actually live the London life!

Thanks

Be careful when using Gumtree. Me and my mates were ripped off and thank god we managed to get our money back. If you want to live in a vibrant area thats quite affordable, try looking at Brick Lane. You have the 25 bus thats 24 hours to Oxford Street and you're near Aldgate stations (Circle/District) and Bethnal Green (Central Line). There are awesome bars around there. Its also about 10-15 minutes by bus to Liverpool Street, which has many lines and is about 15-20 minutes to Oxford Street by tube.

My dad's got an apartment in Docklands - it's gorgeous.

Move there!

Be careful when using Gumtree. Me and my mates were ripped off and thank god we managed to get our money back. If you want to live in a vibrant area thats quite affordable, try looking at Brick Lane. You have the 25 bus thats 24 hours to Oxford Street and you're near Aldgate stations (Circle/District) and Bethnal Green (Central Line). There are awesome bars around there. Its also about 10-15 minutes by bus to Liverpool Street, which has many lines and is about 15-20 minutes to Oxford Street by tube.

cool, thanks mate. Really appreciate the help.

Will check out Brick Lane. How about more central, like walking distance to Oxford Street?

cool, thanks mate. Really appreciate the help.

Will check out Brick Lane. How about more central, like walking distance to Oxford Street?

Not too sure about properties nearer to central I'm afraid, its wayyyyy out of my budget so I didnt look there. I know some people who live around Queensway which is about 3 stops from Oxford St. and is about 15 minutes walk to Bond Street, and I guess 20-25 to oxford street. I think they pay around £800 a month. Its a very nice flat with 2 bedrooms.

Like Plan M said, Docklands is also very nice - its all new and modern. I live in Limehouse which is part of the docklands. You have the DLR. But since you want easy access to central it may not be as convenient, its about 25 minutes in total to TCR or Oxford Street by tube. Properties are cheaper than closer to central since theyre all new, apart from the ones directly around Canary Wharf and the O2 arena, which is closer to Greenwich. But places like Westferry, Canada Waters etc. are really nice. Limehouse is really nice too, decent prices that range from about £500-800 a month based on my own research before. Near many celebrities too such as Sir Ian Mckellan:D

You could try looking at Shoreditch which has some nice new properties, but try looking further away from Hackney (:-##).

Last edited:
Isnt that near the dome, meaning super expensive?

It is expensive but like Milanista said, there are places like Limehouse which is in your price range and that is considered as Docklands. The DLR (Docklands Light Railway) gets you everywhere you need to go and the bars, nightlife and general atmosphere is second-to-none at Docklands. It's a clean and safe part of London and by the water, which is always nice. It's the banking capital of Europe and there are 100s of good opportunities there.

Central London is expensive, smoggy, grey and depressing.

Guys thanks so much for your advice so far. I've discovered, like Milanista said, that Gumtree is a ripoff! Flats have inflated prices, really not impressed with them when compared to agencies.

Im checking out all the places you mentioned, but yeh the central thing is paramount because Im moving with the missus.

Which leads me to this question, any of you guys know of Marylebone? I've been told its extremely close to central, and indeed Oxford Circus. I've had a quote of 800p/m.

Also, on a side note, whats the area like around Pimlico Tube station? I believe its zone 1, but flat prices seem very cheap.

Not sure about Pimlico, but my friend's sister lives in Marylebone and just completed her masters. She said housing was affordable for students and I'm guessing thats around £300-700 a month, obviously depending by the quality.

Last edited:
Not sure about Pimlico, but my friend's sister lives in Marylebone and just completed her masters. She said housing was affordable for students and I'm guessing thats around £300-700 a month, obviously depending by the quality.

Awesome. I have a viewing there on Wednesday. It's the walk into work I was looking for :)

Hello mate,

I'm suprised that you can get flats that cheap in marylebone?! Unless its a shit hole.

I was looking for a place to buy last year and properties to buy were ridiculous - I found the smallest Studio flat there for £190,000. It was crazy. Basically had a sink and enough room for a bed and a shower in the corner! (It was a room!!)

Anyway - Docklands is a nice area. But If you are wanting to get to Oxford street etc easily then that wouldn't be my first choice. But the Docklands is also a bit poncy in my opinion. The DLR Railway is good - but alot of the lines shut quite early (At least they used to - I haven't been on it for a little while)

Milanista is spot on with Brick lane - Lovely area, lots to do and see. Easy to get into the centre of London. I really like that area.

Shoreditch also is very nice and is also near to the city. Lots of nice clubs and Bars. Its where I work :)) My company also are a Regeneration Agency building up the Area of Shoreditch aswell - so I have to promote it a bit :DD

I haven't looked for a long time - but if you want to live near Oxford street etc - then it will be pricey for anything decent. Unless your willing to compromise on the size of place you stay etc

It may be cheaper for students in those areas - because there is accomodation made for them. Also they tend to move in together - with about 4 people so that makes it alot cheaper.

Anyway - I hope the flat you see is nice and affordable for you. Good Luck.

(I've lived in London all of my life so if you have any more questions - then I will be glad to help :DD)

EDIT: Also forgot to mention - Pimlico is a nice area. There are a few dodgy parts around it though. I used to work there for about 7 months right next to the tube station. In the summer I used to walk to oxford Circus to meet my Ex Girlfriend - It only took about 35mins - was really nice through the park etc. But I think it is also quite pricey - a few MP's live around there.

Last edited:
Adonis, West is Best!

Shepherds Bush and Edgware Road both decent areas and only 10 mins on the tube to Oxford Circus. A lot of Pimlico is very, very nice (Right on the river) so I'd beware what you can afford there!

Brick Lane is a good shout though. Liverpool St to Oxford Circus is about 15 minutes on the central line. (10-15 minutes is a fantastic commute in London terms, the average is about 35 mins)

I don't like Shepherds Bush - My Mate used to work there for a couple of years and I just didn't like the area. Neither did he.

Central London is expensive, smoggy, grey and depressing.

When did you go there in the 1800's :DD

Central London is Lovely - especially in the summer. Architecture is amazing - so many places to go and see. Areas around the thames - lovely parks etc etc

Back
Top Bottom