Buzz! (PS3)

SO you can actually make your own Quiz Questions for this?

Yup, there will be a website available at launch called "MyBuzz!" where you can log on and make a quiz round of 8 questions. This quiz can then be downloaded for private use - or made available for people to download and play at home.

The Quizzes are then tracked - how many people have downloaded, what questions have been answered correctly, best scores etc (and there is also a management system like YouTube, where you can flag the quiz to be removed if it is wrong or offensive etc).

You can also link the set of 8 questions to other quizes - so for example you may have a Star Wars round set - with rounds of 8 questions on each film in the series, or character etc - which then are linked to make up the whole 'quiz'.

Gonna be pretty sweet!

So yea, you could make a quiz all about the Evo-Web members, then we can play it offline (or online) and the scores are uploaded for all to see!

And all this is free content too. Think premium DLC will be downloadable via PSN too.

Sony has launched a new website for PS3 game Buzz! Quiz TV, and you can find it over at This place.

It's not just a load of rubbishy old screens and flash movies - the point is, you can create your very own quizzes and play them online. You can also try out ones other people have created. (We correctly answered six out of eight questions in the Mario Kart quiz, though we'd argue the answer to one of those questions is subjective and there's no way Princess Peach is fatter than Donkey Kong.)

Then, when Buzz! Quiz TV launches on July 4th, you'll be able to download quizzes and play them on your PS3.

Sony was not available to comment on how long it's likely to be before it all goes a bit Spore and the website is full of nothing but penis quizzes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony has launched a new website for PS3 game Buzz! Quiz TV, and you can find it over at This place.

It's not just a load of rubbishy old screens and flash movies - the point is, you can create your very own quizzes and play them online. You can also try out ones other people have created. (We correctly answered six out of eight questions in the Mario Kart quiz, though we'd argue the answer to one of those questions is subjective and there's no way Princess Peach is fatter than Donkey Kong.)

Then, when Buzz! Quiz TV launches on July 4th, you'll be able to download quizzes and play them on your PS3.

Sony was not available to comment on how long it's likely to be before it all goes a bit Spore and the website is full of nothing but penis quizzes.

Was playing some DLC quizzes this morning as the Buzz servers are now online!

Nobody about for any MP games (though they are working), but Leaderboards are working (*ahem* number 2 in the World at present - pbb76 - and NO, not out of two!).

Saw the put a few quiz question packs on the store today - over 500 questions for only £3.49! Bargin!

(posting todays update in the ps3 thread)

In Summer 2007 I was running my own art production company, Helium Graphics. Providing various services to the games and TV industries including art asset creation and art direction and management consultancy.

Relentless Software's creative director, David Amor is a friend of mine and he was looking for someone to help develop the idea of Buzz! the quiz game for PS3 Home under request from SCEE. You can learn more about Buzz! here
He was looking for someone who could take ownership of this project and not only create the final 3D space running on PS3 but also help to conceptualise and design the space and to liaise with SCEE on technical aspacts of the new home developer SDK.

My initial brief was very simple. I was just given the two images below that were created by Relentless software's art director, Ben Lee and the rest was in my hands for the most part. The idea being to create an online game of Buzz where players Avatars could meet and play Buzz collectively in rounds. Any players remaining at the end of each round would be winners and would either go onto another round of questions. The highest scorer in each territory would get a place on the leader board.

Buzz_Concept1.jpg

The above concepts were my initial designs exploring everything from a traditional TV studio layout right through to a festival/rock concert theme. In the end the strongest idea was "The Buzz" road show" this would be a cross between a TV studio and a music venue where Avatars could meet and chat or watch the games while others could participate and when knocked out, join the others back in the audience.

We estimated that we would need to support anything up to 64 avatars in a game at any one time. Multiple games would run in parallel.

Buzz_Concept2.jpg

Once the concept was approved it was time to get my hands dirty and start using the Home SDK and PS3 Dev kit.
The screen shots below show the final Home space running on PS3. It took around 5 weeks to build including a fair bit of R&D and trouble shooting time with he help of Sony (I think i was the first person to use the SDK outside of SCEE)
The lighting is pre-baked using HDR light maps and the shader system was unfortunately un editable and so there was a limited surface library to chose from (phong, metal, glass etc)

The Avatars are part of the Home system and so not customisable for their surroundings. I think stylistically the characters for Home could have done with a bit more exaggeration and style. There were several technical limitations with he tools at that time in that we couldn't have animated objects, no characters other than the Home avatars or lights and so movement could only be provided with shader based UV scrolling.

Despite the limitations of the system the end result of this work was very successful and Sony were happy as were Relentless. This work has since been furthered by Relentless's internal team and should be online soon.

Buzz_3D1.jpg

Buzz_3D2.jpg

Buzz_3D4.jpg

Buzz_3D3.jpg

Source

:SMOKIN:

Does look pretty awesome.

I've tried Buzz twice now, and seen questions repeated already. Not good.

There is a huge lack of game modes and it seems they rushed the game to cash in some money, but still gets some playing when people come home, of course. If only they had delivered a little more...

Back
Top Bottom