Blackberrys

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Anyone got one? Comparisons v iPhone

Still not convinced with the iPhone 3GS.

Not really interested in apps or the web, just want access to emails and facebook with a decent camera. Plus must have the qwerty rather than touch screen.

Hit me!...

Only good thing about is "ping". Free messenger between Blackberry users. Besides that, it's shit. I have the Bold 9700 and I'm looking for a Galaxy S now.

Yeah agree.

I was on the toilet the other day, looked down and for some unkown reason I saw some poo on the floor. So I got some tissue to pick it up, when I finally grabbed it, to my suprise it was my Blackberry!

It's shit.

Just not as smooth as the iPhone, nothing like the App Store, nothing like apple quality build, etc. Not very good firmware etc.

(I'm not just saying this, my Mum has one and it's crap).

They are business phones who are only good for the BB messenger and email stuff. Other than that they are no fun. Lot of celebs have them though.

They are business phones who are only good for the BB messenger and email stuff. Other than that they are no fun. Lot of celebs have them though.

Thing is, that is exactly what I want.

Not fussed about internet or apps (have an iPad), just want decent emails, camera and access to Facebook/Twitter - thats it.

Getting annoyed with the iPhones niggles again and the touch screen for typing is still pissing me off, so want to try the QWERTY...

Contract still got to run till May :(

QWERTY might be annoying sometimes with the small buttons. Look up the Torch. It has a QWERTY and a touchscreen or go for a cheaper one.

As some of you may know, I had a little win on the lottery, so went ahead and got a Blackberry Bold 9780.

Nobody had put up any decent objections here (besides personal preference), so I thought what the hell.

So far, very impressed. Camera is excellent, screen is excellent (for the size), and everything is fast and responsive.

Keyboard is a joy to use too. Just waiting for my O2 data plan to update so I can get into all the other BB specific stuff.

Still mega impressed with the Bold 9780. Dunno why all the hate?

Took it out for the first time last night and it was faster over 3G for the internet. Normally when I go darts, when not playing I'm on Facebook or looking up football scores if Southend are playing etc and its usually a painful experience on iPhone.

The Blackberry was fast though, always had a decent 3G signal and never dropped out. Getting onto the BBC football website was much easier that on iPhone where it could have literally took 5 minutes to finally get to the point I wanted.

I'll agree the App store is absolutely pants, but that was on the bottom of my list really and I've still got the iPad for around the house.

The BB software for the Mac is also excellent - no waiting for syncing, it pretty instant and actually syncs with iTunes better than the iPhone did which is strange! :)

Just a really great phone and surprised its not popular.

It seems a fair bit of people on my Facebook have Blackberry's now, never quite seeen the appeal myself.

...battery getting near empty for the first time since Sunday. Considering the amount I've been fecking about on it, thats amazing dontcha think?!

As someone who has used a variety of BlackBerry devices in the recent past I can say that are some very good features of the phone especially for business users. The email client is great, enterprise use is brilliant, the keyboard is fantastic and the unified BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) service is wonderful.

However for web access and additional features such as a healthy Application platform it is pretty bad.

I refuse to buy a BB at the moment due to RIM's refocus on the social, young people market segment. All I see now is teenagers and students purchasing BlackBerry's for BBM.

Everyday I hear friends and strangers on the street saying 'Bruv, bruv whats your PIN? Send it to me so we can chat later fam, you get me?' Disgusting. Im glad RIM are losing market share to the iPhone and Android based phones. It will make them change their business strategy and make them focus on what their good at and what needs to be improved. What I am really looking forward to is their BlackBerry Playbook tablet which is launching in Q1 2011. That looks very good I must say.

As someone who has used a variety of BlackBerry devices in the recent past I can say that are some very good features of the phone especially for business users. The email client is great, enterprise use is brilliant, the keyboard is fantastic and the unified BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) service is wonderful.

However for web access and additional features such as a healthy Application platform it is pretty bad.

I refuse to buy a BB at the moment due to RIM's refocus on the social, young people market segment. All I see now is teenagers and students purchasing BlackBerry's for BBM.

Everyday I hear friends and strangers on the street saying 'Bruv, bruv whats your PIN? Send it to me so we can chat later fam, you get me?' Disgusting. Im glad RIM are losing market share to the iPhone and Android based phones. It will make them change their business strategy and make them focus on what their good at and what needs to be improved. What I am really looking forward to is their BlackBerry Playbook tablet which is launching in Q1 2011. That looks very good I must say.

Oddly enough, I'm finding the web access really good - and faster than the iPhone as I mentioned. Where did you find problems with it.

I like the way the screen resizes (like Android) to flow the text onto the screen.

And its a tad harsh to point the finger at people buying BlackBerry's like sheep when like EVERYONE has an iPhone. 12 year old kids to 75 year old grannies - everyone has one now. Not saying its a bad thing per se, but its ruined the mystique a bit.

That PlayBook looks ace. Bit odd on their site though that they same 'gaming will be better than any device' (something like that) as they will have to go some to catch the App Store!

Although, porting Apps is meant to be quite easy, so we may see more of the iPad apps and games making their way over, but I still dont see how it will be a market leader in this regard.

BUT, if it can be as powerful and as useful as a Laptop, then that is very tempting!

I noticed that you have the new Bold 9780 which has the improved Webkit browser since it runs BlackBerry OS 6. Before that the web browsing was really bad. Trust me.

I must say though that I was tempted to buy a White 9780 the other day as my second business phone since I recently sold my Palm Pixi. I may get it or I might just stick it out and only keep the iPhone 4.

Well, still 'so far, so good'. Web browsing is great if you are worried about it.

Overall, the phone is still a massive hit.

Back
Top Bottom