Bioshock, The real next gen begins here.

if this is the GOTY then im never going to play another game again

graphics are ok, whats the difference between this, condemned and FEAR?

I agree with Coopz. I do, however, really enjoy the atmosphere in the game. But this kind of game is just not my kind of game, it reminds me a bit of Timesplitters.

This looks and plays much better, as you can see in the demo and specially the trailer there are tons of gameplay variations and it's one of the most interactive games ever. Combine that with the Jules Verne feel and you get a brilliant game.

Story, atmosphere, not linear, lots of gameplay variation (e.g. ability to program machines so that instead of fighting against you they fight for you) and features?

It's very good, the whole thing is quite spooky. There's games I think I've enjoyed more but it's certainly one of the better games I've played.

Last edited:
You know what I feel right now...

THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER MADE!

I can't remember ever playing a game that's kept a smile on my face for so long.

The game play alone stands up to that of any other FPS/adventure. It's the 1950s style that does it for me, the music and style is amazing. I don't think I've ever had a baddie in a game run up to me screaming "I don't want to be alone!!!"

Bioshock Demo, Made Even Harder!

Those who've completed the download already know two things: the Bioshock demo is absolutely incredible (the sound design took me by total surprise) and it's also very difficult. At least, when certain alarms go off and an endless stream of enemies start attacking...we don't want to ruin it for those who haven't played the game, but it's hard.

But for gamers looking for an even greater challenge, it's possible to activate they grayed out "hard mode" on the title screen.

Before starting the demo, go to your gamer profile in the dashboard and then change your default game settings. Go to general, then change your difficulty to hard.
Now when you start the demo, hard should be highlighted when you have the option to select your difficulty. Don't move the cursor or you will not be able to select hard again, unless you go back (B).

Easy as cake...until you load it. Then things get hard again we're assuming.

Is this it:

Under the Sea
Vocals: Samuel E. Wright (Sebastian)
Running time: 3:15

The seaweed is always greener
In somebody else's lake
You dream about going up there
But that is a big mistake

Just look at the world around you
Right here on the ocean floor
Such wonderful things surround you
What more is you lookin' for?

Under the sea, under the sea
Darlin' it's better down where it's wetter
Take it from me.
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devoting full time to floating
Under the sea

Down here all the fish is happy
As off through the waves they roll
The fish on the land ain't happy
They sad 'cause they in the bowl

But fish in the bowl is lucky
They in for a worser fate
One day when the boss get hungry
Guess who's gon'be on the plate

Nobody beat us, fry us
And eat us in fricassee
We what the land folks loves to cook
Under the sea we off the hook
We got no troubles, like is the bubbles

Since life is sweet here
We got the beat here naturally
Even the sturgeon and the ray
They get the urge 'n' start to play
We got the spirit, you got to hear it
Under the sea

The newt play the flute
The carp play the harp
The plaice play the bass
And they soundin' sharp
The bass play the brass
The chub play the tub
The fluke is the duke of soul
The ray he can play
The lings on the strings
The trout rockin' out
The blackfish, she sings
The smelt and the sprat
They know where it's at
And oh, that blowfish blow

When the sardine begin the beguine
It's music to me
What do they got, a lot of sand
We got a hot crustaceuan band

Each little clam here
Know how to jam here
Under the sea
Each little slug here
Cutting a rug here
Under the sea

Each little snail here
Know how to wail here
That's why it's hotter
Under the water
Ya, we in luck here
Down in the muck here
Under the sea
lmsndtrck.jpg

Having played through the demo twice, I have to say that this game is a cross between Half Life and Jules Verne and then some. I absolutely love it.

embrace LMAO - was that a joke or a genuine answer to Nicks question?

I don't know the version they have used but the song is "Somewhere beyond the sea". Many people have released the song, including Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darin and Robbie Williams.

Lyrics:

Somewhere beyond the sea
Somewhere waitin' for me
My lover stands on golden sand
And watches the ships that go sailin'

Somewhere beyond the sea
She's there watchin' for me
If I could fly like birds on high
Then straight to her arms I'd go sailin'

It's far beyond the star
It's near beyond the moon
I know beyond a doubt
My heart will lead me there soon

We'll meet beyond the shore
We'll kiss just as before
Happy we'll be, beyond the sea
And never again I'll go sailin'

***INSTRUMENTAL BREAK***

I know beyond a doubt,
My heart will lead me there soon
We'll meet, I know we'll meet
Beyond the shore
We'll kiss just as before
Happy we'll be, beyond the sea
And never again I'll go sailin'

(No more sailin')
(So long sailin')
(Byebye sailin')

After waiting a stupidly long period of time to download the demo, I finally got to play Bioshock last night. For what it is worth, here are my impressions:

Overall it is easily the best demo made available on the Marketplace to date. The length and quality of the play test was superb. Although the art direction and overall style of the game isn't my cup of tea, I can appreciate how much care and attention has gone into creating a world that seems "believable" in a game context.

I really enjoyed the opening portion of the demo where you enter the lift/elevator and drop down into rapture. When the black and white videoclip plays in the lift, I did get an flashback to the Tower of Terror in Disney World, which does a similar thing.

I played the demo wearing headphones and the audio design creates an extremely creepy atmosphere. I get very immersed in games and I genuinely found myself tip toeing through certain areas and peaking round corners. It was fun, but I don't know if I would want to be on edge like that for 10-20hours.

The weapons were fun to use and I liked the concept of hacking into certain objects to use them to your advantage. The mini-game used to hack into these things was odd in my view.

Bottomline is I can see what the fuss is about, however; this isn't a game I will be purchasing. I appreciate it for what it is, but I can't see myself *enjoying* it as the style and storyline isn't to my liking.

Is a man not entitled to the sweat on his brow?

Nooo, says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor!

Nooo, says the man in the Vatican, it belongs to God!

Nooo, says the man in Moscow, it belongs to everyone!

I chose something different...

I CHOSE RAPTURE!!!!!!

i got scared when i came out of the elvator and quit, and im not kidding! maybe i will try it again when i have a friend around LOL.

It's very spooky. I managed to get to the end of it after being killed several times by the security bot (which I then realised you could hack, duh), but the last bit with the movie showing really freaked me out.

Especially when they start smashing the windows and there's no way out.

I actually can't understand why anyone wouldn't love this game, and usually I'm the first to say "everyone has an opinion, each to their own". I would rate this way, way above e.g. Halo 3, which is Halo 2 with great graphics and new online options (although I have to buy it because everybody else is...). I'd rather have something completely different from everything else, hence why all of the Oddworld games will always be in my top ten games of all-time, and why this will probably be in there as well.

Last edited:
I would rate this way, way above e.g. Halo 3, which is Halo 2 with great graphics and new online options (although I have to buy it because everybody else is.

First of all, you are entitled to your opinion. ;)

Secondly, don't give into peer pressure and buy Halo 3 because you have to, buy it because you want to play it.

Thirdly, you can't say Bioshock is better than Halo3 when you haven't played the campaign yet. :)

Fear is more atmospheric/Scary than Bioshock

i was really enjoying this game until i got those powers
im not into that, just give me a gun and let me do my thing

I'd rather have something completely different from everything else, hence why all of the Oddworld games will always be in my top ten games of all-time, and why this will probably be in there as well.

I'm glad you like it Chris, I love the attention to detail, little bit s of humour in every corner. Every other fps is just vast fields of nothingness.

Did you use the lightning on it and then shoot/reprogram it?
Easier to just hack the cameras, then all the security bots will attact the enemies instead.
I did what Nick said, rather than hack the individual bots (don't know if you can do that). I only found out by accident, I did what you do in Metal Gear Solid and one of the Oddworld games, i.e. run under the camera so it can't see you. I looked up at it to shoot it and then the "hack" option appeared. The mini-game is weird, makes me panic like hell, but I love it.

Now here's a dilemma, when I pre-order, do I choose the faceplate (play.com) or the six-inch Big Daddy figure (limited edition)?

931521l.jpg

OR

XT1168_2_lq.jpg

It is but the faceplate isn't. You only get the faceplate with the normal edition from Play.com... I want both though. :(

I can't make my mind up, I've had the Play.com version pre-ordered for weeks but after playing the game and seeing the Big Daddies (which remind me of the Sligs from Oddworld, which I love), I'm torn.

i got scared when i came out of the elvator and quit, and im not kidding! maybe i will try it again when i have a friend around LOL.

LOL! Did you play the Alien Vs Predator games? That was scarier. The beeping sound of the radar, dark corridors... You hear quicksteps behind you, that hissing sound.... AAHHHH!!!!! :D

If you leave the game on the main screen for a few minutes you get a film involving Big Daddy and the little girl.

Oooh :D *Switches on 360*

EDIT: Wooowww. I love it. The whole game has a cinematic feel about it, more succesfully (i.e. in a non-obtrusive way) than any other game I can think of. The girlfriend sat watching me play the demo to the end and actually said to me "I can't wait to watch the whole thing" rather than "play the whole thing". The game is amazing.

The Big Daddies are definitely my favourite characters. There's something about them, they're great. I'd feel bad killing them. :D

Last edited:
http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200709/R07.0814.1203.13551.htm

Perfect 10/10

Summery
GRAPHICS:
In almost every room, you’ll stop to carefully analyze the amazing detail applied to every surface and object. It’s one of the most beautiful games out there

SOUND:
The classic music, haunting voice recordings, and sound of insanity blend to create an eerie and intimidating array of sound. The surround sound support is also of a higher level

PLAYABILITY:
No matter what weapon or power you have equipped, you always feel like a god

ENTERTAINMENT:
The power to destroy has never been so varied and satisfying

REPLAY:
Moderately High

Back
Top Bottom