Bioshock 2

Re: Bioshock 2 Xbox 360 and PS3

Can't wait. Although I was really looking forward to the idea of a prequel where you get to see Rapture in all it's glory and then see it go t!ts up. This seems to be a sequel as the little sister is older. Have no idea now what the setting is going to be, maybe rapture is repaired and rebuilt with a new thriving society, which can easily have some social commentary as a backstory for the game.

Bioshock was one of my favourite games of all-time. Can't wait, I was hoping there would be a sequel...

gi_bioshock2.jpg

http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/200903/N09.0310.1603.49470.htm

Yeh does look the same as the first one - slightly disappointing. The first one was magic, but if I had to play the same game through again (i.e buy #2) I probably wouldnt...

I enjoyed the first one because it was different

Seeing as its a sequel it obviously wont have that appeal anymore

Nothing I've seen has impressed me like the first one, probably due to the publisher taking it off the first developers :(

pre-ordered at shopto, seems like they are already processing the orders

very excited, should keep me entertained until heavy rain

I didn't even finish the first one. The setting was awesome because of the art direction and character definition. But the gameplay itself was a let down for me. This sequel looks like it's a cow milking product, so I will definitely pass this time.

Only played an hour or so but it's nothing special so far. I think because everyone has already experienced Bioshock 1's art, gameplay and level design, they wont find much difference with this and it's ... kind of a little boring in a way.

Yeah it is a bit boring

Its Bioshock 1 with new levels and a few new people to kill that's about it

It was always gonna be hard to make this one as good seeing as the first was new and fresh

1 thing that stood out though was that the sound is brilliant in 5.1. When there's water leaking and dripping everywhere and foot steps echoing, when your moving about it moves through the speakers and it sounds very atmospheric

Eurogamer review gave it a 8/10

Also said that the first few hours are too dull but that the second part is good enough to make it worthwhile.

I'll probably play 1 again (saving the girls this time) and then follow it up with 2.

Played it a bit more and it really is just Bioshock 1 with a FEW tweaks to it. Really not very different from the first at all so, maybe more combat in this but that's about it.

Not sure my concentration and interest will last me the whole game, doubt I'll finish this one.

Just as I thought, really. More of the same, it seems, rather than something new or fixing the wrongs of the first one (much like they did with Uncharted, Mass Effect and Assassins Creed)

Nah, Uncharted 2, ME2 and AC2 were definately improvements over the first games. This hasn't changed at all with regards to improvements, I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same engine and models as the first game.

In all honesty, this could easily have been a DLC package I think, especially when you look at the GTA DLC that's been released using the same engine etc.

I think you guys are being a little hard on the game, especially after only playing a few hours. I've played 6 hours so far, and although it does feel quite similar to the first, the story itself has started to come into its own and with the new tonics and powers you unlock as you progress, it is definitely worth sticking with. It also retains the charm and atmosphere of the first; perhaps not as revolutionary in terms of changes, but I certainly wouldn't say that it was boring or more of the same, it is a worthy sequel.

I don't see a problem with it adopting the same engine/models; the first game was that good that it was always going to be tough to bring out a sequel, and I would rather it build upon the successes of the first and expand the story than try too hard to be different and completely change the game mechanics.

It probably could have been released as DLC, especially in light of the content delivered with GTA, but I suppose the multiplayer elements and various optional missions built into the game made it worth a full release.

Last edited:
Had a hour on it last night and it definitely improved

Just giving you the camera to research people added a bit more to it rather than you just running into people and fighting over and over again to get past them at least now you are gaining stuff by fighting all these people

I liked it. It couldnt be as great as Bioshock, there's not surprise anymore but it's very solid.
Even if the game is very, very, very, linear (go there, do that), the atmosphere is unique (the sound and the audio diaries are brilliant).

The parts were you have to protect the little sisters are all the same but using all weapons and plasmids made it not so boring.
And once you find the camera and the sniper, it's another game. Much more fun :).

7/10

I agree with the score tuta. It was a pretty good game; not as good as the first (has the novelty factor worn off? I would give Bioshock 1 a 9/10), but still very enjoyable, especially with all the new weapons and plasmids. I think the first one was that good that this was bound to be decent too using the same game mechanics.

Length-wise it was a little disappointing and the ending was quite underwhelming, but overall pretty decent. My only major gripe would be the constant battling throughout, which didn't give me enough time to fully appreciate all the surroundings and I couldn't hear all of the tape recorders due to being constantly interrupted. The big sisters were hard as nails too.

I would definitely recommend the game to others, more so to those who haven't played the first as I feel they will get more out of it. Replay factor? I can't say I'm itching to play it again, but I may revisit it a few months down the line for some of the more challenging achievements.

The sizes of the levels are not well balanced. The 1st levels are small whereas the last ones are way bigger. It took me 10 hours to complete the game, not too short, but I don't think I could have envoyed it during 20 hours.
I'll try hard difficulty after Bioshock "1".

And don't forget there is a multiplayer mode and not bad at all.

If you haven't played the first the second will be alot better

The second just has some creases ironed out and new things to play with

Back
Top Bottom