Best way to store huge data - DVDs or HDDs

freak08

League 2
28 June 2008
I have lots of tutorial dvds (downloaded) as ISO images, they all are not exactly of 4.7 GB some are even 1 GB. So keeping it safe for at least 4 years with regular usage, what shall i opt for?
The total tutorial of various softwares are about more than 200 GB.

Should I buy a 250 GB internal hard ( cheap ) and fill in everything
or burn them in dvds?

I fear if HDD is crashed, then I have to waste another 2 months downloading them again. Please help me with this.

Well if you are that paranoid about losing your data (Like me), you could buy two hard drives to make a double back up. You could also buy the hard drive AND burn the DVDs.

or you could by an NAS, put five 250 gb disks in it and do a raid 5... you should never lose your data then, unless a e-bomb goes off

HDD, the small usb ones are so cheap nowedays anyway you could buy a couple and continue to increase your collection.

Also the dvd's might be cheaper from a purchasing perspective, however I know for me if I take into account how much time it costs to burn the lot it would be cheaper just to work a couple of hours extra and buy the hdd's. And then you also have the luxury of having them all available in a pocketsize hdd instead of having to go through 50 odd dvd's (200/4) everytime you want to look for a tut. And all those dvd's take up a lot more space, and after awhile dvdrot could set in if you ar enot carefull where you keep them.

It really isn't much of a choice.........

Back
Top Bottom