1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

Best way to store huge data - DVDs or HDDs

Discussion in 'Technology' started by freak08, 25 April 2010.

1. freak08

freak08 League 2

28 June 2008
    I have lots of tutorial dvds (downloaded) as ISO images, they all are not exactly of 4.7 GB some are even 1 GB. So keeping it safe for at least 4 years with regular usage, what shall i opt for?
    The total tutorial of various softwares are about more than 200 GB.

Should I buy a 250 GB internal hard ( cheap ) and fill in everything
    or burn them in dvds?

I fear if HDD is crashed, then I have to waste another 2 months downloading them again. Please help me with this.

2. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    I would opt for the hard drive.

3. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Well if you are that paranoid about losing your data (Like me), you could buy two hard drives to make a double back up. You could also buy the hard drive AND burn the DVDs.

4. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd
    Hahaha Monk.

5. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    I've got years worth of music that I don't want to lose Jason.

6. gomito#10

gomito#10 World Cup Winner

9 May 2003
    DC, USA
    or you could by an NAS, put five 250 gb disks in it and do a raid 5... you should never lose your data then, unless a e-bomb goes off

7. maxnod

maxnod Non-League

6 April 2010
    itz much more cheap if you gatta to burn in DVD

8. Tim7

Tim7 Retired Footballer

6 May 2003
    Gravesend
    Charlton Athletic FC
    ... Jonney?

9. TikTikTikTikTik

TikTikTikTikTik *****

7 August 2004
    Liverpool
    HDD, the small usb ones are so cheap nowedays anyway you could buy a couple and continue to increase your collection.

Also the dvd's might be cheaper from a purchasing perspective, however I know for me if I take into account how much time it costs to burn the lot it would be cheaper just to work a couple of hours extra and buy the hdd's. And then you also have the luxury of having them all available in a pocketsize hdd instead of having to go through 50 odd dvd's (200/4) everytime you want to look for a tut. And all those dvd's take up a lot more space, and after awhile dvdrot could set in if you ar enot carefull where you keep them.

It really isn't much of a choice.........

10. Mack

Mack Champions League

8 August 2003
    Manchester
    MCFC