Best mercenary (Player who played for most clubs)?

drekkard

International
23 March 2005
Barcelona
Barça, Arsenal, Ajax
Vieri changed club every season for almost a decade, and he ended up playing in 14 different clubs.

Let's call him a mercenary. A bloody good one! Anyone knows if someone beats his record? It has to be a quite well known player. I mean, at top level during most of his career.

14 different clubs?! Jesus Christ, I thought it was Romário with 11 clubs... btw, he played in all big Rio de Janeiro clubs excepts Botafogo. Now he is a politician so he's definitely a f*cking mercenary! :LOL:

14 different clubs?! Jesus Christ, I thought it was Romário with 11 clubs... btw, he played in all big Rio de Janeiro clubs excepts Botafogo. Now he is a politician so he's definitely a f*cking mercenary! :LOL:

Romário was here in Miami FC too was like a movie star here back then :LOL: even had me screaming like a idol ,then went to Aussie land.

i wouldn´t call mercenary a player who was fired by his club and then moved to different and so on..but a player who didn´t had to leave his previous club and he did, for money.

so basicly whole City squad except Hart and Richards? :D

Anelka is right up there too. Vieri is a good one.

Zlatan will end up as one as well :P

These are 3 of the most high profile ones I can think of.

Jardel is best example I think though at a slighly lower level than those others.

Without Wikipedia: Pierre Womé?

And i don't agree with Pipa on the Man City players. Then Eto'o's move is "worse"...but in fact they are professional players...so what' wrong with playing for the money...they all do it, but some are more honest/outspoken about it than others

Yeah most top clubs are made of bought players who were offered more money but City is top winning club now with top top players. Players will want to join besides the money.

I dont respect those sort of clubs...buying ready made 90% . I do respect clubs buying squad players and bringing players through their ranks as a matter of fact I admire them. Chels n MCity are my examples of doping a squad . I do feel Chels may have turn from their old ways its not paying for it now. I personally think clubs will have a harder time to buying a full top player squad.

I dont respect those sort of clubs...buying ready made 90% . I do respect clubs buying squad players and bringing players through their ranks as a matter of fact I admire them. Chels n MCity are my examples of doping a squad . I do feel Chels may have turn from their old ways its not paying for it now. I personally think clubs will have a harder time to buying a full top player squad.

That is very relative...every Belgian, Dutch and Portugese club think all the EPL clubs and many others have the same unfair advantage. From our point of view there is no difference between Man City and (for example) Arsenal, bebo.

To give you an example. When Larsson played for Celtic (not the biggest team) they had to play Anderlecht in the CL. Celtic paid more for Larsson than Anderlecht for their entire team...

Big Belgian clubs like Anderlecht, Brugge, Mechelen and Standard (former Euro Cup winners or finalists) are financial midgets compared to a club like West Ham United.
And i will not repeat what happened with Beveren...

Yeah everything's relative.

I can't believe I forgot about Ailton!! He's a good shout for this thread! What a MONSTER he was in his peak at Werder as well! MONSTER! Then turned to $hit!!! lol

mercenary - Judas - Joker

images

Would Zlatan be a most titles won mercenary? 9 or 10 league titles.

Amazing Serie A league titles list:
2004–05, 2005–06 (Juventus)
2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09 (Inter)
2010–11 (Milan)

He won at least twice as that unless you mean only league titles.

Anyone have an idea which players played in the arch rivals of their home club? That would be nice to know.

Last edited:
He won at least twice as that unless you mean only league titles.

Anyone have an idea which players played in the arch rivals of their home club? That would be nice to know.
I know these:

Gallas - Chesea, Arsenal and Spurs
Charisteas - Ajax and Feyenoord
Bentley - Arsenal and Spurs
Figo - Barcelona and Real
Cruijff - Ajax and Feyenoord
Stojkovic - Crvena Zvezda and Partizan

From Turkey.

Sergen Yalçın, Saffet Sancaklı (Fenerbahçe, Beşiktaş, Galatasaray)

Last edited:
A while ago, but still worthy calling: Andreas Möller - BVB and Schalke 04. Same clubs for Christoph Metzelder right now.

Not to forget Patrick Helmes: 1. FC Köln and Bayer 04 Leverkusen.

Bernd Schuster played in Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico. Quite a record! He was my childhood idol until he went to Madrid.

I see Vieri is still the big player to have played in most top clubs, unless someone has another example.

The Figo case was specially important by a number of factors that made it harder to bear. The full story is too large to be put here, but he was the captain of the team when he left. Any other case of a captain going for the historical rival club for money?

In Figo's case, though, you have to add that he could sign for barcelona because he had already signed for two itailan clubs at the same time (and cashed some money for it), so the italian federation forbid him to play there. Quite a history with contracts, this guy...

Back
Top Bottom