Best club team ever

Crvena Zvezda - the last time a team won the European Cup with players from all the same federation (Yugoslavia) - Belodedici was bron in Romania but was ethnically a Yugoslavian. Also all this was done with the country falling apart in the early 1990s. It was also the last time a team won the competition outside of the rich leagues of Western Europe - and they had already sold a great player Stoijkovic to Marseille.

You don't get the question. It is not a club, but a team that you have to choose.
If you think the best club team ever is Real Madrid, then that can only be the the team with Puskas, Di Stefano, Kopa and Gento.

You don't get the question. It is not a club, but a team that you have to choose.
If you think the best club team ever is Real Madrid, then that can only be the the team with Puskas, Di Stefano, Kopa and Gento.

ok i understand now,but we cant find only 1 then,there are many like Bayern,Ajax,Barca since 2-3 years and more clubs we can add..

The Dynamo Moscow of 1945 could be a contender, they were phenominal in their tour of the UK that year.

tbh we were pretty fucked in Britain at that time, and from what i read they weren't that phenomenal, they hammered Cardiff 10-1, beat Arsenal 3-2 and drew with Rangers 2-2.

Funny how Madrid are above them in the league then...

Rubin Kazan beat them at the Camp Nou. Surely if they would beat anyone ever, then they should have beaten everyone this season?

The team that impressed me most was Crvena Zvevda (Red Star Beograd) that won the CL.
They were superb for two seasons and then the civil war tore them apart.

Other teams that impressed me without claiming that they were the best club team ever:

Ajax with Cruijff
Milan with the 3 Dutch players
Barcelona with Laudrup, Koeman, Romario and Stoichkov
The current Barcelona team.

Funny how Madrid are above them in the league then...

Rubin Kazan beat them at the Camp Nou. Surely if they would beat anyone ever, then they should have beaten everyone this season?

that's ridiculous.

Barcelona would beat any team if a cup final depended on it.
Losing to Rubin Kazan was just silly, and doesn't even endangered Barcas chances to go through the group round.

The team is River Plate in the 1940s and such players like Loustau, Pedernera ,the magnificent Peucelle and giving birth to di Stefano and featuring the use of a goalkeeper as a sweeper for the first time.

They were coached by Renato Cesarini who went on to coach with great sucess in serie A and the creator of what was known as Cesarini time.

River's maquina foreshadowed the football that the Magyar's played. During this time they acheived the Albiceleste's greatest ever margin of victory 12-0 in a competitive game over Ecuador.

What a shame the idiots in the AFA prevented the team from competing in 1950 and 1954.

Not for the first time shooting themselves in the foot. Just like this year sadly.

Brazil is not a club team my friend.

I tend to agree with la maquina River Plate..they should be there among the best ever.

a few more days and i might expect someone to mention palermo in this thread :LOL:
seriously guys, there are lots of teams that really shouldn't be here....

we can't establish any sort of ranking based on the quality of the football obviously... first, because none of us saw some of theese teams playing enough matches to properly rate them.... (i just saw 2 '70s bayern matches... i never saw il grande torino playing and i watched just some highlights of '50s real madrid)...

besides even if we would actually know each of theese teams enough to compare their football, we would discover it's pretty much impossible to do it.
let's take il grande torino, the '30s juve or the '50s real madrid, for example. they were some of the greatests teams in the history of the game, as they completely ruled the european scenario for 5 years (il grande torino was the world's best team from 1943 till the tragedy of superga; that glorious juventus was on top from 1930 to 1935, real madrid was on top from 1955 to 1960). theese teams domination was way longer than modern teams domination (when u think that the usual living cycle of a team is 3 years nowadays..) and the concept of "domination" itself had quite a different meaning. we're not talking about teams like today's man utd or barcelona, which had some great seasons with league wins a champions league and some CL finals \semi finals.
that torino, that juve and that real madrid completely dominated each and every competition they joined for 5 years... they did what barcelona did this season.... but they did it for 5 years in a row (just to put things in perspective).
yet i'm quite confident each of theese glorious teams would be completely dismantled by this barcelona. but that's pretty obvious as it was a long time ago... football was different, the players were different, the game as it was conceived was different.... herrera, the dutch revolution and sacchi were yet to come....
so once esablished we can't compare the quality of the football played by teams in different eras, we can come to the conclusion that the only thing we can base our reasoning on is the impact theese teams had on their own "era".

and this logic (wich is the only one we can apply to teams which played in different periods) will bring us to a much shorter list.

the 1930/1935 juventus team
the 1944/1949 torino team
the 1955/1960 real madrid team
the 1963/1967 inter team
the 1970/1973 ajax team
the 1974/1977 bayern munich team
the 1987/1991 milan team.

and that's it. no eusebio's benfica, no crujff's barcelona, no red star belgrade, no '60s man utd.... just theese 7 teams. eusebio's benfica was a great attacking team.... but they didn't bring something new to football and their european domination lasted for about 2 years. as a matter of fact, the main reason why that team became glorious is because they beated puskas's real madrid in the CL final.... awesome achievement, but i'm afraid that's not enough to give em a place among the greatests football teams of all times.

also crujff's barcelona was a nice team (the team was great, the coach was a "more show than go" kinda guy.... a bit like mourinho.... maybe slightly better than mou).... they won a lot in spain.... but they didn't "change the game" and they didn't dominate the european scenario at all..... as a matter of fact they were repeatedly humiliated in europe, by both sacchi's and capello's milan. and since i didn't put capello's milan in that list, i'm definitely not gonna put crujff's barcelona.

sure we might even add that barcelona team, aswell as we could add eusebio's benfica or charlton's man utd...... but then, even before those teams, we should add to that list the late '70s paisley's liverpool, the early 80s trapattoni's juventus, capello's milan (in that list there is just the 1987/1991 milan, wich was sacchi's milan)....
and mentioning also all theese teams would be unfair to those 7 history-makers teams i mentioned earlier. Coz those 7 teams had a much bigger impact on the game than any other team in the history of the game.
those 7 teams changed football as we knew it, their coaches modified the whole core concept of the game. those teams are cornerstones people normally use to identify the different eras in football. and that's more than we can say about every other team mentioned in this thread.

puskas's real madrid was the "patentee" of the spanish football school. the orange revolution in the '70s brought in the concept of "movement without the ball".
Herrera invented the zone pressing, pretty much revolutionized the whole concept of defending and changed for ever the players training methods.
Sacchi brought football to its highests levels. his impact on modern football is something so deep that u can't really find any tactical aspect of the game he didn't change for ever. he also built a team wich was so unbelievably close to perfection that no one, no other coach in the last 20 years was able to even get close to him and his milan.

the mid 90s lippi's juventus, the early 2000s ancelotti's milan, and last man utd team (wich just ended a glorious cycle and its now trying to start a new one), they were all great teams, but as i said for the other teams some of u guys mentioned, it would be unfair to pretend theese teams were on the same level of those 7 historic teams.

and please, let's not mention this current barcelona team! this was an awesome season for barca. they're a great team any football fan would love to watch playing, and they certainly deserve the success they got..... but come on, this is just the 1st season of barcelona's new cycle.... we can't already compare this barca to the 2006/2008 man utd team (wich proved to be sucessful all along its 3 years cycle), let alone comparing it to the greatests teams in history..... that's just ridiculous.

Well...I think you're forgetting something. That same team, managed to play 5 european champions finals in 8 years! Do you think that's not european domination?

1960/61, 1961/62, 1962/63, 1964/65, 1967/68

Won the first 2 (Barcelona, Real Madrid), lost the last 3 (AC Milan, Inter, Manchester United).

Besides, they won 8 home titles in 10 years that decade. 4 national cups..and so on.

:CONFUSE:
LOL! i stand corrected mate. huge mistake by me there... i guess that's what happens when u rely on your memory alone, rather than checking on wikipedia. :P
and yeah, after reading your post, i think that benfica deserves a mention too.... thanks for setting me straight mate. ;)

That was an interesting reading.. ;) I'm not saying 60's Benfica was the best team ever (it's nearly impossible to choose a team...in football the best teams are those who win. Lots have won, then everybody have their preferences)..I didn't even watch them playing. But by the way you were thinking, I thought Benfica deserved a mention.
As a Benfica fan, it's very frustrating to have reached the final so many times and only have won a couple of them. Later we played 2 others European Champions finals (1987/1988 and 1989/1990) and a UEFA cup final in 1982/1983, and we always lose by the smallest margin, or penalties. Argh.
It's quite interesting since Bella Gutman (our manager in our last european conquer) said, after he left that season, that Benfica would never win an european title in the next 100 years, without him. It's called the Bella Gutman's curse..the fact is we played 6 other european finals since then, and we lost them all...lol

1 - AFC Ajax Amsterdam 1969-1973 (The Number One, The Best of the Best : Cruijff, Neeskens, Krol, Haan, Suurbier, Rep, Keizer, etc...)

2 - Olympique de Marseille 1989-1993 (The Technical Steamroller of the 90's : Papin, Waddle, Stojkovic, Francescoli, A.Pelé, Boli, Mozer, Deschamps, etc...)

3 - Real Madrid CF 1955-1960 (The Artists of the 50's : Puskas, Gento, Di Stefano, Kopa, Rial, etc...)

REAL MADRID 98-2003
best team ever played football
Real madrid 98 was 5th in league..
Real madrid 2002 was 4th in league...
5 years - 2 champions league, 2 spanish league, 1 word cup club.

fc barcelona, pep guardiola 3 year and middle..
13 titles of 16 at moment (3/3 leagues , 2/3 CL , 2/2 world cup club...)
BEST TEAM EVER PLAYED FOOTBALL.
with the best footballers...
And the style..the only.

8 players that this barça was in the 11 of spain in worl cup final...they won

Xavi was MVP of this cup

Golden ball 2011 - Messi - Ronaldo - Xavi
golden ball 2010 - Messi - iniesta - xavi
golden ball 2009 - Mess - Ronaldo - Xavi

in last 20 years, Barcelona beat Real madrid...

Real madrid was Biggest in black&white...

Milan, ajax, Manchester....more teams was BIG in 90's

Olympique Marseille in the Goethals and Tapie era? A team who payed other teams to go easy on them? Among the best teams ever? Better than:

Real Madrid with Puskas, Di Stefano and Gento
AC Milan with Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard
Man Utd with Best, Charlton and Law
Benfica with Eusebio
Juventus with Platini, Boniek, Rossi, Scirea
Liverpool with Rush, Dalglish, Hansen and others
Bayern Munchen with Muller, Beckenbauer, Hoeness
Barcelona with Romario, Laudrup, Stoichkov and Guardiola
Barcelona with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta

I'm not sure if that team compares to the likes of Aston Villa, Porto, Nottingham Forest, Sampdoria Genua, Man Utd (1999), Porto (Mourinho), Ajax (Van Gaal).

Barca 2006 up to till today, i have not seen better performance of the game football by any other team in my life..

other teams might have great seasons as well, but there was not a team who entertain me more to be honest..

i support LFC i know..but even Madrid fans must admit that Barca made history with their game past 5-6 years...and continue to do so..

I would still say the Red Star (Crvena Zvezda) in 1990-1992/3 was the best team I ever saw in my lifetime. The midfield alone, Jugovic, Prosinecki, Savicevic earlier there was Stoijkovic, and other players like Mihajlovic and Darko Pancev, were some of the best players at the time. Also the style of the team was very fluid, aside from the short central passing game that they usually played, they could also pose a real threat with speed down the wings, and if they had to be direct could use Pancev's strength in the air from set pieces. They had a plan a, plan b and plan c and all the players could switch between them at any time. If they wanted to play more pace on the wings they wouldnt need to make a sub, the coach (Petrovic) would tell Sabanadzovic to hold the whole central defence and he would push Jugovic and Mihajlovic further up and give Prosinecki a free role. It was like a true "total football" any defender could cover for midfield and any midfielder for defence and it would be utterly seemless, if you were the opposition you wouldnt even notice.

I would still say the Red Star (Crvena Zvezda) in 1990-1992/3 was the best team I ever saw in my lifetime. The midfield alone, Jugovic, Prosinecki, Savicevic earlier there was Stoijkovic, and other players like Mihajlovic and Darko Pancev, were some of the best players at the time. Also the style of the team was very fluid, aside from the short central passing game that they usually played, they could also pose a real threat with speed down the wings, and if they had to be direct could use Pancev's strength in the air from set pieces. They had a plan a, plan b and plan c and all the players could switch between them at any time. If they wanted to play more pace on the wings they wouldnt need to make a sub, the coach (Petrovic) would tell Sabanadzovic to hold the whole central defence and he would push Jugovic and Mihajlovic further up and give Prosinecki a free role. It was like a true "total football" any defender could cover for midfield and any midfielder for defence and it would be utterly seemless, if you were the opposition you wouldnt even notice.

I totally agree with that post. That is the best team i ever saw. And i may be a football sissy, but a certain Kenny Dalglish said exactly the same...

Lecce 2004-2005 under Zeman :D that team was same as barca this days :P score a lot of goal , but take many too hehe

That team was GREAT to watch indeed! Zeman The Master of Attack!

Except their defense was horrible! :LOL: Not at all like Barca!
Barca has one of the strongest defences but that Lecce team was allowing in goals just as beautifully as they were scoring them! :D

i would love to see Madrid - Barca swap places in Premier league with United and let´s say Manchester City...

for one season...

Back
Top Bottom