Best Broadband deals

i have got tiscali but i am changing soon for i can get xbox live what is the best package for xbox live?

Hello again everyone. Wondering why I haven't been around? Probably not. I have moved back to the UK (am I f**kin crazy? - theyll give me an ID card soon) amd chose a broadband provider. I went with Pipex and its 14.99 for the first three months on the solo 1000 package. Bought myself a wireles router (there's a first for everything)and with a few teething troubles (faulty splitter) I am now online. Only one gripe and that was the waiting time for tech support was around 10 mins altho it was an 0845 number so not THAT expensive I guess. Once through though their support seemed to be very good.

.....Just incase you wanted to know.....

NufcSteven90 said:
i have got tiscali but i am changing soon for i can get xbox live what is the best package for xbox live?

Well there's only one package, an XBox Live starter kit. You can then choose either to pay monthly or yearly, but I think yearly works out cheaper (£40) even though a starter kit is like £20 now (that gives you a year for free).

Best deals at the moment are:

PlusNet (www.plus.net) - For £21.99 a month, your download speed will be as FAST as your line can handle, up to 2MB (soon to be 8MB according to the site). So if you get 2MB in your area, your download speed will be 2MB for £22 a month, with no cap! What a deal!

Freedom2Surf (www.freedom2surf.net) - Same thing here, cept you pay £24.99 a month for up to 8MB downstream connection (so like stated above, if your area can handle an 8MB connection, all you'll be paying is £25 a month!). Plus, Freedom2Surf is part of BT so they're bound to be reliable. They are getting alot of good reviews at the moment, and I'm considering switching to them. Oh, and they're uncapped :)

Anyone seen BeDirect 24mb down and 1mb up? Well its coming to my excahne in December, and at only £20!

Try the checker on be's and ukonline site also maxdsl wont be far off so ive seen basically will strecth your adsl line from 2-8mb and see what you can get (good if you live in sticks like me :) )

Some peeps will not get the full 24mb because of line attaution you can find it in router the stats (in most routers anyway) depends on how far you are from exchange and most cable its running down is 30 years old.

www.adslguide.org best to look in forum threads ukonline, unlisted providers etc and see what people are getting as their bound to be problems then decide where to go their are also peeps on ukonline trial already for 24mb so should be available to everyone soon :)

with BE 24mb their are only a few exchanges enabled they are as follows: -

Stepney Green (CLSTE)
Goodmayes (LNGDM)
Upton Park (LNUPK)
Albert Dock (LNADK)
Leytonstone (LNLEY)
Walthamstow (LNWTH)

more will come it all depends on demand the future is bright at last for uk broadband :)

Last edited:
beachryan said:
Does anyone use plus.net? It seems quality, but would like to hear good stories before I jump in!

Go with Freedom2Surf mate. Its basically the same deal as Plus.Net, but alot cheaper in the long run, and is getting awesome reviews. I joined them last week, no complaints so far!

PlusNet are currently trying to screw one of my mate's over thanks to BT and them not providing a service... I'm sure they're alright if everything works though.

I'd recommend UKOnline. £20 a month for unlimited 2 meg broadband, I just migrated from Pipex so I'm saving £14 a month, which is nice.

telewest blueyonder now:

£25 for 4 meg
£35 for 10 meg

no usage cap and cheap deals for the first 3 months of sign up. Very good free customer support aswell.

I don't trust those ADSL lines..I found it unreliable (lines cutting off every week or so - likely due to the ADSL filter) and usually customer service is poor. Or is it just me? (My mate, who I'm basing my verdict from, has Freedom2Surf).

IMO, Go with Cable instead (e.g Blueyonder). Costs a bit more but there is no cap, service is reliable (hasn't cut off once for months without notice) and customer service is top notch.

EDIT: Oh and with Blueyonder, you get a free News account for newsgroups ;)

I'm currently on 2meg for £35 with blueyonder, they will be upgrading throughout Sept & Oct and it will go 10meg for the same price. It is about 400kbps up

beachryan said:
Does anyone use plus.net? It seems quality, but would like to hear good stories before I jump in!

i use plusnet - but it's called force9 (same thing)...

in the last week the sneaky little twats have put a 'limit' on their so-called unlimited broadband, so i can't see myself staying for much longer...

RAISH said:
I'm currently on 2meg for £35 with blueyonder, they will be upgrading throughout Sept & Oct and it will go 10meg for the same price. It is about 400kbps up

Apparently they are only upgrading to 10Mb in Scotland...hopefully they might bring it down south :)

EDIT: Actually, was reading around, Telewest plan to bring 100Mb lines by the end of 2006!!

100Mb + Free & Decent Newsgroups Server = Heaven :mrgreen:

im with ntl, im paying bloody 35 quid for 3mb at the moment.

after hearing the ntl roadmap last month i was delighted to hear that i was being upgraded to 10mb for free!, and in november-december 2006 i was being upgraded to 100mb for free again!!

that was until ntl announced 2 weeks ago that they have encountered problems with contracts with local authorities regarding costs, and even though the system is already in place, they will now not be offering 10mb until Autumn 2006!

so, as a resulti am now thinking of moving away from NTL altogether, as the BT telephone lines now attract 10mb braodband from various companies from just 22 quid a month.

NTL all of a sudden looks like a bit oif a con really.

vincebio said:
interestingly NTL today purchased Telewest Broadband outright, and is now in sole control of it.

Yeah just read up on that - Its not good news imo. If we get the same customer service then we're buggered cos ntl are frankly quite shambolic (I had a mate who worked there part time a couple of months ago & heard a few stories).

Also, isn't there a cap on ntl services? This is bad :(

its dreadfull news....actually NTL have been pretty good with me i must admit, its the only reason im still with them. ive never had an issue although i know a few who say the same thing about them.

i wanted BE but they are not offering in my area right now...

never mind..24mb will have to do i suppose. :wink:

NTL customers on the 3mb line will be upgraded free to 10mb in November all other customer will reciever spped increases by the end of the year 2mb -> 5mb not sure on the upstream but as its NTL this will probably still be crap. Im not sure howw this will effect Telewest customers or form next year UK Cable!

BE broadband will be in my area in November so im at a right crossroads as i get TV and phone form NTL aswell and with news that they are going to battle sky for premiership righs and supposdly are going to have a dedicated premiership channel for £10.00 p/m im very reluctent to leave, Have Sky got any good deals on at the momment..?

I had a letter from EFH broadband offering me 2mb broadband unristricted for £20

So im gonna take em up on it :)

Back
Top Bottom