Ben Thatcher's Horror Tackle

joostebrood said:
Is it that hard? Both of these players decided to become a pro player. It comes with the territory, agree? Mendes makes a million a year, he'll survive. Besides that, Thatcher didn't seem to do it on purpose at all. So please people, make a judgment based on knowledge, rather than on emotions. None of you ever played yourself right?

What the hell has money got to do with almost getting killed? So if I make a million a year in my job, then its ok if Im assualted by a co-worker? And does it mean I 'll survive whatever form of abuse because I make a million a year? And no I don't agree that sending players into a epilepsy attack comes with the territory. And you think thatcher didnt do it on purpose? what are you blind! The man clearly had his eyes on mendes only,and stuck out his forarm to his face.The malice was obviously there. Worse still, he gets up pissed off himself and then just runs off like nothing happened and then protests against a yellow card. Or are you going to tell me it was the wind that made his arm hit mendes's face? This isnt judgement from emotion, but judgement from seeing the incident with my own eyes and not acting like a dumb ass about it and protecting some ugly aryan faced thug. I can't believe there are people seriously trying to tell me that he didnt mean it and mendes played his part in getting hurt because he chose a football career. How stupid and pathetic.

I think you're going way too far in insulting me here. You clearly have never ran at full speed yourself. These things happen. They are trained professionals, they run at 20 mph. Weird things happen then. But it clearly seems everybody is defending the foreign player here, because they're afraif to be marked a racist. Well I'm not one of them. I look at the situation without considering colour of skin.

joostebrood said:
But it clearly seems everybody is defending the foreign player here, because they're afraif to be marked a racist.
I dont think anyone here cares where Mendes came from. When I first saw the incident, I didnt even know who it was that got hit and I still felt the same then as I do now.

6 game ban. I don't know how long Mendes will be out, but if he's out more than 6 games (6 weeks?) than Tatcher should only play when Mendes played again.

people are entitled to defend rather than go on the the attack Alucard. How different is this to any other shock in sport? Everyone cheered when Ali knocked Frazier down to the canvas with an uppercut. I suppose you were real worried about Frazier then yeah? "Ali should have been banned from the ring" I suppose. Mendes and Thatcher were going for a ball that was going nowhere in a game of little or no relevance. mendes as a professional should have known from previous experience that in those situations people can run in like a bull. I really don't think Thatcher meant to cripple Mendes the way he did. You can tell that he is very confused after the tackle and disputes with the referee. His pupils are completely dilated which indicate shock. Also, look at the video, its all there. I have to say Mendes over-reacted a little to try and persuade a red on Thatcher. "Oh, let me go to ground here and stretch out so i can crash into the barrier and make it all dramatic". There's no way he could have been out cold like that from a simple elbow, bullriders go through double this amount of pain WEEK IN WEEK OUT. thatcher got what he deserved with the yellow, I think its time we buried this in the ground just like Zidanes horror tackle on materazzi, how quickly did that go away? I still haven't seen anyone mention that one just because Zidane is the Golden boy and Thatcher is portrayed as a thug so he gets this total slating.

Alucard said:
Did you not see the pace and speed both players were running at? If thatcter elbow had hit Mendes's temple, the share impact could easily resulted with brain damage and mendes not recovering which means death and thats no exageration. He had already suffered a seizure and that was only from getting hit on his jaw a. No one wants to see intentional violence like that. No one is calling for life ban. Just a good long ban to teach the scumbag a lesson and send out the correct message to all those young potential yobs aspiring to be footballers that you can't get away with assaulting people on the pitch or anywhere else for that matter.

But thats just if this and if that, I mean every weekend in the premiership defenders go up against attackers for run of the mill headers and get elbows in the face and if one of those elbows hit the head in the wrong place that could of kill..... BTW im not defending what he did in any shape or form!

I agree with Dermot that Thatcher's foul is supposedly worse because he is just a simple player and no star...
But the suggestion that Thatcher should be suspended until Mendes is fit again is a good one too (this should be the rule for every injury provided that diving players are punished as well, even post factum).

I think Mack and gerd add a few very valid points here. I rate them both very highly and I'm glad people dare to look from a different angle. Yes, Thatcher is almost bald and was raised in the projects. Yes, Mendes is a highly educated Portuguese pro and yes, we are all prejudiced. But not me, I've seen enough in life myself to make an honest judgment. Let me use a well known example here. A black kid and a white kid both steal a lolly. The white kid looks well dressed and pretty wealthy, the black kid looks like a thug. The police comes in and asks both of these kids what happened. They both start to cry and tell the cops they stole a lolly. Mark my words the cops will bring down the black kid with their sticks, while they laugh at the white kid and bring him home. That is exactly what happened here.

joostebrood said:
I think Mack and gerd add a few very valid points here. I rate them both very highly and I'm glad people dare to look from a different angle. Yes, Thatcher is almost bald and was raised in the projects. Yes, Mendes is a highly educated Portuguese pro and yes, we are all prejudiced. But not me, I've seen enough in life myself to make an honest judgment. Let me use a well known example here. A black kid and a white kid both steal a lolly. The white kid looks well dressed and pretty wealthy, the black kid looks like a thug. The police comes in and asks both of these kids what happened. They both start to cry and tell the cops they stole a lolly. Mark my words the cops will bring down the black kid with their sticks, while they laugh at the white kid and bring him home. That is exactly what happened here.

Exactly, it's like the Koran and the bible, all the same stuff but in different languages under a different cover, manufactured and sold to brainwash the general public like the way the US government lied to us about what really landed in Roswell that time. Any pro football player will tell you, if you find yourself in a threatening situation like thatcher did the first thing you do is hear your fathers words, defend yourself son, lead with the fist. It's a natural thing to do, a natural reaction. Look at the knights back in medieval times throughout the Dark Ages. If Thatcher was a knight and he was jousting with Mendes would you expect Thatcher to let Mendes hit him and not even raise his pole to try and hit Mendes??? NO. Absolutely not.Football is like a fox hunt and Thatcher smoked mendes out of his hole, what if Thatcher had ran a little faster and was another 2 yards in front of Mendes? Can you honestly tell me that you believe mendes would have been able to halt up and stop without hitting Thatcher??? Not a hope, he would have ran over him like a Klan member driving through Harlem. Anyways, you are all missing the real point here and the real point here is that this is as much Mendes fault than Thatchers, Mendes is still alive so even with saying that he has dug his own grave in a sense, I can't wait to hear what he has to say when he gets out of the hospital, anyways, I believe he had been provoking thatcher with verbal jabs the whole game before that but I won't even get into that or I'll get pasted to the wall by you lot again. if you don't believe me watch the replay on match of The Day in slow motion like I did and watch the mouth of Mendes whenever he gets within 10 yards of Thatcher. They hired lip readers for Materazzi, why not Mendes? Cause he doesn't have the golden balls of Zidane that's why.

Last edited:
They hired lip readers for Materazzi because it was clear that he was insulting zizou, how can mendes say something while chasing a ball to the coming tatcher to make him knock him out ?

Did somebody really payed a lip reader to see what Materazzi was saying???? Jesus...i will tell my childeren to go for a degree in lip reading (master in lip reading)...here is a profession with a big future...
In the future i see football commenting consisting of three people: the actual commentator, a pundit (a fired manager or an old player who's there to moan about the fact that in his days everything was better) and last but not least the lip reader...

Just read on a Portuguese site that Ben Cunt Thatcher is facing police charges filed by Ralph Welch, a 19 year old player from Blackburn Rovers.

It happened during a reserve game earlier this year. At about 20m Welch tried to take the ball away from Thatcher, so this Cunt realized Welch was near and elbowed him in the jaw and broke it apart. The Blackburn player filed charges at the Lancashire police, but the physical damages have ruined his career.

Edit: found it on English media, here is a link to it:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_pages/sport/sport1.shtml

If Anybody here can still stand on this cunts side you're not a Football fan, you're just as big a Cunt as Thatcher.

Yeah I'm starting to believe there are some born and bred hooligans on this site. Taking sides with scum like thatcher who hurt people with no reason but to inflict pain just makes you as bad as them. So yes joostebood,Dermot and Mack who have all been defending this sort of stuff, I just want to say, you people make me sick and are not worth anybodys time when you come out with comments suggesting Mendes was asking for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet again the infamous Alucard gets it wrong! I havnt defended him once infact
Mack said:
BTW im not defending what he did in any shape or form!

All i have been saying in this thread is you using you IFS (which is basically you speculating with no facts) Or have i got this wrong and the police have arreasted him for attempted murder? Thought not!

Alucard said:
Yeah I'm starting to believe there are some born and bred hooligans on this site. Taking sides with scum like thatcher who hurt people with no reason but to inflict pain just makes you as bad as them. So yes joostebood,Dermot and Mack who have all been defending this sort of stuff, I just want to say, you people make me sick and are not worth anybodys time when you come out with comments suggesting Mendes was asking for it.

weren't you defending Keane in this same thread????
so one as to read:
"taking sides with scum like Thatcher which does not play for Man United who hurt people wit no reason but to inflict pain makes you as bad as them"

or:
"taking sides with scum like Roy Keane who hurt people with no reason but to inflict pain makes you as as them"

or

"talking about hooliganism with an avatar like mine is rather funny"

You've got it all wrong Alucard, this has turned from your hatred towards Thatcher and the exhange of opinions to your personal opinion about me. I'm just putting forward my point of view on the situation, I'm not defending Thatcher in any way, I'm just seeing it from a different angle about what might have been going through the lads head. Was it okay for Zidane to headbutt Materazzi just because Zidanes mother was Algerian and Materazzi pointed that out to him? I'm going to look at this situation exactly the same way as I looked at the Zidane situation. What causes these highly paid professionals to react in such a violent way? I believe that only the half of it occurs on the football field and the other half is elsewhere in their personal lives. I truly believe that Mendes is no angel in this situation even if he's the one that's hooked up to a drip at this moment in time. I'm sure BT was provoked in some way, people do it in sports all the time. What about the time Alain Prost of F1 accused Nigel Mansell of being gay in the media and then mansell got a 12 point reduction after he batoned the knees of Prost so he couldn't drive?

Dermot said:
You've got it all wrong Alucard, this has turned from your hatred towards Thatcher and the exhange of opinions to your personal opinion about me. I'm just putting forward my point of view on the situation, I'm not defending Thatcher in any way, I'm just seeing it from a different angle about what might have been going through the lads head. Was it okay for Zidane to headbutt Materazzi just because Zidanes mother was Algerian and Materazzi pointed that out to him? I'm going to look at this situation exactly the same way as I looked at the Zidane situation. What causes these highly paid professionals to react in such a violent way? I believe that only the half of it occurs on the football field and the other half is elsewhere in their personal lives. I truly believe that Mendes is no angel in this situation even if he's the one that's hooked up to a drip at this moment in time. I'm sure BT was provoked in some way, people do it in sports all the time. What about the time Alain Prost of F1 accused Nigel Mansell of being gay in the media and then mansell got a 12 point reduction after he batoned the knees of Prost so he couldn't drive?

Or the Senna death. I think that's also an example of how cruel sports can be. Mendes is in a coma, stuff like that happens. Go to a random hospital and you find people in hospital beds everywhere. Do we make a big deal out of that? I thought so, so best is to let this rest and to not choose sides. Alucard, I feel a little insulted here, calling me a hooligan. My parents did the best they could to raise me.

Its actually got to do more with the society and environment around you rather than genetics. Genetics predispose you to the violent behaviour, your environment triggers it.

Wow. I see a few people here are feeling a guilty conscious of what I said about smelling a few hooligans around. Well lets start off with Stan. What I said about keane was that he had a reason for his actions. Haaland almost ended keanes career and while keane was on the floor, Haaland told him he was faking it. But you wouldnt care would you because you are a United hater. I dont have any idea what has my avatar to do with any of this?

Dermot I havnt got any hatred towards thatcter, just what he done. I hate injustice and what happened to Mendes was just that. Mendes did not do anything to hurt thatcher prior to the incident.

joostbrood I don't understand how you can argue that putting players into comas is part and parcel with football. Its unacceptable. I take back what I said about you and dermot i realise those comments were a bit harsh for you. But with Mack I'm not so sure. This is a guy who wants to make out Man City are all angels and just ignores the wrongs they do and claim I'm just making them up on speculation. Barton and his murderous brother are the Archangels Gabrielle and Michael to him. I would'nt be suprised if he had pictures of them on his wall.

Mack - How can you say you ain't defending the guy when you said you felt there was a witch hunt on thatcher. You think he was being harshly treated and the media should have simply ignored the incident? And I guess since mendes is up and doing interviews now, the challenge wasnt so bad huh?

How can someone get things so wrong and so often? Right what i said yes it was a terrible terrible challange that deserved to be punished by Us and the FA i dont even like they guy and truly wishh he wasnt playing for us, but i do feel there is a whicch hunt for him with poeple like you saying how he could of killed him IF this had happened and other people saying he should be thrown out of the game completly, way over the top. Now do you see?

As for making out City are all angels i have never said that and never will but they are not what you called them which is a team of thugs!

Mack said:
How can someone get things so wrong and so often? Right what i said yes it was a terrible terrible challange that deserved to be punished by Us and the FA i dont even like they guy and truly wishh he wasnt playing for us, but i do feel there is a whicch hunt for him with poeple like you saying how he could of killed him IF this had happened and other people saying he should be thrown out of the game completly, way over the top. Now do you see?

As for making out City are all angels i have never said that and never will but they are not what you called them which is a team of thugs!

Its not that much of a big IF. Thatcher only had to of hit his head which isnt far away from his jaw for him to have ended up with brain damage or death itself, seriously thats not OTT. Yes people saying he should be thrown out of the game, yes that maybe is ott, as I'm sure thatcher didnt intentionally mean to cause serious damage. But the intent was still there to injure the player which needs to be stamped out.

With Man City, I don't mean your whole team is thugs but certain players have a background of thug behaviour whether its on or off the field its the same. You seem to just want to brush it under the rug when ever I tell you of these incidents.

Like i said before with Thatcher players get elbows in the face all the time look at Charlton vs Bolton 2 players got sent off for elbowing in that game if either of those elbows had been in the wrong place it could have done the same damage you are talking about, admittedly not as violent as the Thatcher one but still could result in the outcome you said.

As for City you originally stated the City were typically a thuggish team what i have done proved you wrong as you have shown me just one other incident which involved Barton and no police, that hardly proved the whole team is bad...

Of course if you are cornred by sheer logic defend yourself by illogical ceap shots: "you are a Man Utd hater"...
That, my friend is stupid....

Stan said:
weren't you defending Keane in this same thread????
so one as to read:
"taking sides with scum like Thatcher which does not play for Man United who hurt people wit no reason but to inflict pain makes you as bad as them"

or:
"taking sides with scum like Roy Keane who hurt people with no reason but to inflict pain makes you as as them"

or

"talking about hooliganism with an avatar like mine is rather funny"
Thats completely irrelavant cuz hurting people isnt "the thing" that Man Utd fans liked about Roy Keane.

Back
Top Bottom