Battlefield 2 : Modern Combat PC & Consoles

Re: Battlefield 2

It's not too arcadey. Best thing to do is try the demo mate. See for yourself :)

hehe good game guys! took a couple of screenies! didn't get one of me blowing Jabb3r up though unfortunately ;)

can't wait for the full game now.

How bloody cool is that first pic, it's us base jumping off the crane, and I haven't even opened my chute yet!!!

Good laugh that was, when we worked as a team it was fantastic.

What a game! 2 hours passed and I didn't even notice! So much happened! Highlights included Classic becoming commander, then reigning down artillery on his teammates, twice in fact! Storming the enemies base and killing them as they spawn :D

GroundZeroUK was me by the way, was using my brothers account!

Cheers for the game guys, have to do it again, just couldn't be arsed with the CTD's after a while. :(

Haha lets try and get 2 squads next time!

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html - This might come in handy for some people.

Jabb3r post your spec and in game settings so we can try and get those CTD's sorted. The main things I have done so far is set sound to medium detail, hardware renderer, turned EAX off, most settings on high, 2aa set in game and I have turned some of the scanning settings off on my anti virus - that seems to have helped the most. I also defragged my hdd which was badly fragmented.

:)

what specs do you got and what kind of settings do you use?

mine:

amd 64 3.2
1024ddr ram
nvidia geforce 6800LE
samsung tft 710t (12ms)

I know that classicd got a similair system as mine but im curious what kind of settings you guys are using. When i run everything on high it isnt playable for example. Maby imma buy 1gig mem extra.

Can you recommend any guides for new players? Played the demo a bit yesterday, but I'm not sure if it will be fun playing with all these BF veterans. ;)

Guides not really, just general things to pick up. In BF2 the commander screens add a load, if you camp too much expect to find artillery landing on you before too long. Never let the enemy through to cap your starting base, that's a lot of vehicles changing hands and you'll find youself hammered.

Most importantly listen to your team and don't try to Rambo it :) Crouching and prone are (fairly obviously) more accurate than standing and running. Pick a class and get good with it :)

For the love of god though don't get in a helo and circle a spawnand pick everyone off people as they spawn. It's cheap and will make you no friends :)

XP 2500+
Rad 9700
1Gb Corsair XMS 2700

Pretty crap, need a new un, I'll get back to ya with in game settings, I'm remembering alot of lows.

Just gonna install the new cats now, see if that helps.

Thanks babs, that's already useful. Having never played BF before, I wondered how the whole thing works, like fireteams, classes and promotions, capturing and holding checkpoints, spawning, point system and such. Well I could just buy the game I guess and rtfm. ;)

Elite said:
what specs do you got and what kind of settings do you use?
I'm running on:

XP-M 2500+ @ 2.2GHz
1GB 3200 Corsair RAM
ATI X800 Pro

The only settings I don't have as high are lighting and texture filtering which are both medium. So really you should be able to play it at around the same settings.

Ike don't worry about being new, last BF I played was the 1942 demo :).

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1022mb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT (driver version 77.30)

I have tried running it @ 1600x1200 but I find the demo is so unstable it can suffer wacky behaviour (sudden chuggishness, 1 frame per second, etc, for short spells) at even 1024x768, so I am sticking with that for now until I give this 1280x1024 command line thing another bash (tried your's Steven, didn't work). Running max AA, whatever that is, and all settings on high or very high (where applicable).

Hopefully the retail will be a lot better or a quick release of a patch will help, but maybe I should go get some more RAM anyway.

Guess I'll buy it then.

AA = anti aliasing, looks good but uses a lot of resources. Setting it lower might give you a good performance boost.

Ok here goes

1024x768 (120Hz)
Terrain = Low
Effects = Low
Geometery = Low
Lighting = Low
Dynamic Shadows = Off
Dynamic Light = Off
AA = Off
Texture Filtering = Low
View Distance = 75%

AUDIO
Hardware
Medium
EAX = Off

Mine was set on software when I went to chang eit yesterday anyway so thought I'd try the opposite.

Thanks Ike but I know what AA mean, should have worded it better. I meant I wasn't sure what the highest setting was ;).

Deffo gonna buy this as well.

Ike said:
Thanks babs, that's already useful. Having never played BF before, I wondered how the whole thing works, like fireteams, classes and promotions, capturing and holding checkpoints, spawning, point system and such. Well I could just buy the game I guess and rtfm. ;)
Fireteams and promotions are new really so everyone will be learning those. The classes are pretty self explanatory, each with strengths and weaknesses, just try to make sure your team has an even balance.

The checkpoints have a small radius, once you are within the radius of a neutral flah you'll notice the little inidcator beneath the map starts to swing and fill with your colour (and now the flags go up too). The more people you have at a flag the faster you capture it. If the enemy has people defending the flag it takes longer, and if there's an even number of axis v allies at a flag it doesn't move either way.

If you hold more than half the flags on a map the opposition's ticket total drops, the greater the number of flags, the faster it drops. Each kill drops the total by one also. You win by either reducing the enemy's tickets to 0, having more tickets when the time runs out or holding all flags on the map and killing the opposition (as then they have no spawn points). To choose an alternative spawn point just right RMB when dead or Return in-game.

ClassicD said:
I have tried running it @ 1600x1200 but I find the demo is so unstable it can suffer wacky behaviour (sudden chuggishness, 1 frame per second, etc, for short spells) at even 1024x768, so I am sticking with that for now until I give this 1280x1024 command line thing another bash (tried your's Steven, didn't work). Running max AA, whatever that is, and all settings on high or very high (where applicable).
It might be an idea to put AA down to 2. I find that's good enough for me and it might help your fps and stop the chuggishness. Also I have it set to application preference in my display control panel. As for the command line fix, it's pretty weird. Some people can get it to work but others can't. Did you try putting the +szx +szy bit before the fullscreen and menu?

The game seems to be ok for me just now although I have just had my first ctd in about 20-30 rounds.
Jabb3r said:
Ok here goes

1024x768 (120Hz)
Terrain = Low
Effects = Low
Geometery = Low
Lighting = Low
Dynamic Shadows = Off
Dynamic Light = Off
AA = Off
Texture Filtering = Low
View Distance = 75%

AUDIO
Hardware
Medium
EAX = Off
Do you have any processes running in the background like anti virus? If you do try turning it off and see if you still get CTDs. Don't really know what else to suggest as it's not as though you're settings are too demanding for your system. Just keep messing around and see if anything helps.

Last edited:

Thanks again, that's pretty much what I wanted to know.

You gonna get on tonight for a game Ike?

EDIT - Nevermind just saw that you'll prob be playing Forza ;)

Last edited:

Well if nobody's up for Forza tonight I might as well get smoked on Battlefield. ;)

Ask me anything! After spending about 4 hours playing the game (started about half twelve and just come off, my eyes are actually square) I know most of the ins and outs!

Once you get a good squad and a good commander, the game really starts to come into its own. For instance, I was controlling a squad earlier and we had a good commander on our team. I'd issue an attack order on a checkpoint, and then request the commander bombard that target then use a spyplane thingy (can't remember what the initials for that are as I type, AUV, UAV or something?) on said checkpoint to reveal all the enemies, leaving our squad to just stroll in, take them all down and capture the point.

Magic :D :D

Back
Top Bottom