Assassin's Creed Unity

mfmaxpower

International
29 July 2010
I will be the first to say that I've been increasingly disappointed with the Assassin's Creed series since Brotherhood, but this looks pretty darn awesome:

YouTube - Assassin's Creed Unity Official E3 2014 Single Player Commented Demo [US]

The big things for me are that (supposedly):
* combat will be more difficult
* stealth is done separate from general movement
* climbing/parkour has been overhauled
* the graphics look *finally* like real next gen

I didn't finish the most recent AC game because it got dull and repetitive, the enemy AI was pathetic, and overall I found the game to be rather dumb and shallow. But AC Unity might make me a fan of this series again if this video is anything to go by.

Last edited:
Yeah I struggled with Black Flag. Gave up after a few hours as it wasn't grabbing me. A bit dull and repetitive. Just felt stale and nothing new.

AC really needs a refresh if it's to continue.

I got mixed feelings too, while some stuff is dull and repetitive, the franchise surely has a fantastic atmosphere. I just wish there was different and refreshing things to do as well.

I got mixed feelings too, while some stuff is dull and repetitive, the franchise surely has a fantastic atmosphere. I just wish there was different and refreshing things to do as well.

Me too, and at least one good sign is that in that gameplay video they hint at some type of murder mystery side mission.

Definitely interested, 2 and 3 were stale because they didn't really work on the core gameplay components although the addition of a small amount of boat stuff mostly saved 3 for me, 4 is great because the naval stuff is the main part and I enjoy that a lot.

The atmosphere in the two last games have been shallow at best. Unity looks better but I still sense a strong level of trivialization of the whole setting.

Looking forward to this, I've enjoyed them, probably my fav series of games.

I liked Black Flag, but then I do like Pirate theme to the game.

Think I'll be moving onto the PS4 soon so this will be one of the must buys.

FD

my secret : put a long long time between the games.
I have only recently started to play AC Revelations and am loving it.
The atmosphere of Constantinople is great. Sure there are still some things that bug me but there are a lot of games that are not perfect.

I also own AC 3 and Black flag, but haven't even touched them yet.

Just my way of playing the AC series, but it's working so far.

One other benefit of this : i can buy the games once they are a bit older at very low prices.

WTF, Assassins Rogue now, which ties in the likes of AC3, Black Flag and Unity.

I love the AC games but it's gettig ridiculous.

No doubt I'll buy the bloody games (as I'll still have my PS3 anyway, as well as purchasing the PS4).

FD

They haven't even releaed Unity and they're talking about a new AC Rogue??

Seriously, these guys...

This does not bode well at all for AC Unity. After AC3, which looked quite rushed into the market and a bit unfinished to me, it seems Ubisoft lost control over their milking of this series.

I stopped with AC3 and I think it will stay this way.

The main problem with AC, especially after 2***, is that the whole thing is too damn easy. There's no difficulty what so ever and the whole matter is just a huge time sink. Mildly entertaining, great graphics and a big free world (with a varying degree of atmosphere). I wouldn't say I've hated any of them but I haven't enjoyed the ones after #2 as much as I had hoped to.

*** Only the first armor upgrade (health) is mandatory, the rest is optional. Choosing not to improve armor and using weaker weapons can make the game a whole lot more difficult. Playing it this way made it the best AC in my opinion. The story of the 2nd one is quite good as well, at least inside the animus.

The story on AC2 is the best IMO. Sure the game looked repetitive and easy, but the whole conspiracy thing, and pursuit of that network of traitors made an excellent story and that kept me going.

AC2 is my favourite of the series too.

What happens outside of the Animus on 2, Brotherhood and Revelations though, really pulled the franchise down. The game clearly lowered its standards when it came to modern day situations, when Desmond would face Abstergo's henchmen who were equipped solely with iron bars! It's just melee and it's unbelievable how they didn't bother to put in the simplest engine for shooter games, so that those goons could at least come with pistols. Totally felt like the foes from the Middle Age were better equipped than modern day templars.

Anyway, I'll see if Unity looks decent, then maybe I'll give it a go when its price goes down or it becomes a Greatest Hits of sorts.

In updated news console gamers will really get to feel how it is was like playing games during the French Revolution...

Ubisoft have confirmed the game will run at 900p on both systems at 30FPS..

"Ubisoft's upcoming Assassin's Creed Unity will run at 900p regardless of whether it's the Xbox One or the PS4 version. The framerate, too, will be locked to 30 fps."
"Senior producer Vincent Pontbriand said that the reason behind the decision boiled down to wanting to "avoid all the debates and stuff." He went on to explain the technical reasons behind the decisions, telling VideoGamer.com that the lock in graphical performance had to do with the console's CPUs and not GPUs."

When are the next gen consoles being released? As the current gen are a joke.

I chose a PS4 as it is more powerful. I don;t want games downgraded in this way.

I'd be amazed if this doesn't get a day one PS4 patch.

Great work, Ubisoft! First the Watch Dogs downgrade fiasco, and now this! What a crap company are this! :RANT:

Great work, Ubisoft! First the Watch Dogs downgrade fiasco, and now this! What a crap company are this! :RANT:

I wouldn't blame the game developers, the console manufacturers are to blame for the mess...

You don't put a low powered processor designed for tablets and notebooks in a gaming console - pure and simple.

I wouldn't blame the game developers, the console manufacturers are to blame for the mess...

You don't put a low powered processor designed for tablets and notebooks in a gaming console - pure and simple.

What????

Ubisoft is making this parity clearly because they have a deal with Microsoft to advertise the XBO version of the game. So it's a downgrade on the PS4 version because of $, just like they did downgrading the PC version of Watch Dogs to have the same "parity" with consoles. They never said they could't make ACU 1080p on the PS4, they are making it 900p just to be the same as XBO version. A company that does that "parity" just because of money don't deserve any respect, they should always make the best game possible on each plataform, using the relative plataform power for it.

What????

Ubisoft is making this parity clearly because they have a deal with Microsoft to advertise the XBO version of the game. So it's a downgrade on the PS4 version because of $, just like they did downgrading the PC version of Watch Dogs to have the same "parity" with consoles. They never said they could't make ACU 1080p on the PS4, they are making it 900p just to be the same as XBO version. A company that does that "parity" just because of money don't deserve any respect, they should always make the best game possible on each plataform, using the relative plataform power for it.

Not denying the fact Ubisoft have a really bad track record and being a PC gamer it was an shambles what they did to Watchdogs.

But my point was they are blaming the CPU inside the consoles, and they have a good point - the CPU in the next gen systems is a tablet processor and I am surprised they have managed to get anything working with it. This generation of consoles is incredibly poor.

As for Farcry 4 it isn't looking good for 1080p, but FPS is def the genre you need 60FPS.

Last edited:
Not denying the fact Ubisoft have a really bad track record and being a PC gamer it was an shambles what they did to Watchdogs.

But my point was they are blaming the CPU inside the consoles, and they have a good point - the CPU in the next gen systems is a tablet processor and I am surprised they have managed to get anything working with it. This generation of consoles is incredibly poor.

As for Farcry 4 it isn't looking good for 1080p, but FPS is def the genre you need 60FPS.

The problem here is that they are not blaming the CPU, the resolution will be 900p on both just for marketing reasons... They did never said they couldn't push the PS4 verdion to 1080p, however they said they would make this "parity" to avoid discussions on which version is better. For me it's just another Ubisoft bullshit.

Aren't you exaggerating here a bit? I've been playing Mordor for a few days and it looks stunning. Can't get it through my head how this looks and plays incredibly poor :P

Aren't you exaggerating here a bit? I've been playing Mordor for a few days and it looks stunning. Can't get it through my head how this looks and plays incredibly poor :P

All consoles in the past have been on the verge of being as good as the top gaming PC's at the time of release - even surpassing high end gaming PC's.
The Xbox 360 was released with a custom made GPU which was better than the top ATI card for PC at the time.

This time around consoles are using low powered - low performance notebook processors and graphics card not even found in mid-range gaming PC's.
I know consoles require to generate low heat, as you can't run a top end GPU inside a machine with adequate cooling, but there are solutions, external PSU for instance.. And mobile gaming graphics especially from AMD is really good these days and surprised they didn't use a more modern - more powerful mobile APU.

Last edited:
But then that would eventually come at a hefty cost wouldn't it? I don't mind more powerful consoles but then we'd have to spend more money. As you know many criticized the PS3 for costing so much at release so I don't think they'd ever go down that route again.

I'm not against you at all, but just saying that the masses wouldn't entertain the idea of a costly console even if you preach how powerful it is.

I would too, but the masses won't. They'd happily get smart phones and tablets instead. To be fair though many get them on plans. So maybe consoles can do that too.

I would too, but the masses won't. They'd happily get smart phones and tablets instead. To be fair though many get them on plans. So maybe consoles can do that too.

If it was me I would personally rather pay an extra £100 for a system which I know would be able to play all games 1080p @60FPS, or at least have the option.. Microsoft should of made the Xbone a stupid spec for the best price, gamers always say they don't care about graphics, but this is the biggest lie in gaming.

Personally I would pay up to £500 for a console(providing it also wasn't completely featureless like the PS4), but Lami is right Joe Public wouldn't...

Back
Top Bottom