steevio_uk

Premiership
7 October 2003
West Ham
Hello...

I have just been given a new motherboard:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775i65G

For this motherboard, I have just purchased a CPU:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(22054)Intel-CPU-Pentium-DualCore-E2180-2x20GHz.aspx

Ok...

I have a rev2.03 board, which is required, but it says to run a conroe chip like the one i have just purchased, it requires the BIOS version to be 2.80

I do not know what BIOS version is currently on the Motherboard but let's assume the worst and it is below version 2.8....

What I need to know is: if I install the CPU on to the board and boot up, will it allow me to update the BIOS? And if so, how?

Thanks in advanced guys:))

good question!

i'm pretty sure if should allow you to boot into the bios with the cpu installed.

you can only try, obviously, with the mobo 'outside' the case first!

It should be the usual of Pressing Either F2 or Del to enter setup (BIOS) Id imagine. I cant see you having any issues unless that CPU is NOT compatible with the board... in which case you will get warning beeps and nothing else.

The cpu is compatible with the board.

I am also sure it will boot to BIOS, that's not the main point.
I'm wondering whether I'd reach either dos to flash from A:\ drive or reach operating system to do it.

Or can I flash from the bios screen somehow?!

The cpu is compatible with the board.

I am also sure it will boot to BIOS, that's not the main point.
I'm wondering whether I'd reach either dos to flash from A:\ drive or reach operating system to do it.

Or can I flash from the bios screen somehow?!

i'm not sure if anyone can give you a definitive answer - it's a bit of an odd situation!

i'm pretty sure you will be able to boot off a floppy and get to the dos prompt in order to flash your bios from the floppy disk. you'd probably get into windows too...

in theory, the cpu should work, but it just won't be recognised 'properly', ie. the speed will not be correct. however, it should still function to some degree because it is designed for the board...

in theory, the cpu should work, but it just won't be recognised 'properly', ie. the speed will not be correct. however, it should still function to some degree because it is designed for the board...

That's exactly what I was thinking (hoping)... run compromised for a while so it let's me flash.

CPU should be here tomorrow anyway, so i'll let you know what happens.:))

Thanks for the help.

After installing the cpu, I found that the BIOS was already updated to 2.90 and the cpu works fine :DD

Exactly. As long as the CPU fits the socket the motherboard has, it should at least start.

I am pretty sure about this because I had the same problem myself with an ASUS motherboard (I really don't remember the name at the moment) and with a Pentium DC E2180 I was preparing for a customer.

It turned on properly, but gave a ucode error during POST. in the end it allowed me to enter the flashing utility without any problem. Once updated the bios (with the ASUS ezflash utility you don't even need a bootable diskette :D) all went on perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom