Ashamed PES deserter and FIFA player, is it OK to come back?

gimpymoo

League 2
24 October 2007
I am a PC PES player, have been since PES 3 on PC and before that, ISS3 on PC.

I left PES back in about 2015, fed up with the half assed PC ports and general lack of progression with Master league etc. Before 2015, some of the releases were awful.

I want to come home, are things on the up for PES now?

Welcome back, i would say so. On release it had big issues but since then with dlc +tweaks every thing is quite solid. Loads of mods have been done this year.one tip i would give is when crossing the ball or taking corners , just after your button press experiment with pulling the right stick backwards or forwards as this changes the balls trajectory, otherwise you won't win many crosses. edit also if you are on pc there is loads of gameplay custom mods to change it.

If 2015 was your last PC PES you will definitely enjoy the upgrade you see.

Also all updates are done, I think, so its a good time to check in.

[Just follow the PES 19 threads to get an idea of its flaws.]

To be honest, if you didn't like PES 2015, you won't like PES 2019 either.
It seems like he didn't mind the gameplay, just the lastgen PC port and shit ML mode, all valid criticisms for that year.

It seems like he didn't mind the gameplay, just the lastgen PC port and shit ML mode, all valid criticisms for that year.

@du0 , you could say that every PES game port has been shit since they stopped building the game engine on the PlayStation 2.

If you place your hand on the PES-retro Bible (PES 5 online manual) and swear you will never stray from the true PES religion again, then welcome back.
:shiver::shiver::shiver:

Your probably not far off. My problem is after that it always seemed one step forward, 3 back, they made some very odd choices gameplay wise and combined with other things, I gave up :(

Your right, those things were the nail in the coffin for me. Combined with the fact up till 2014/2015, I was forced to purchase a DVD for some stupid reason as they were reluctant to publish on Digitally or on Steam and when they did , they scattered digital released across different stores with a rather **** update path.

@du0 , you could say that every PES game port has been shit since they stopped building the game engine on the PlayStation 2.

When I stoppped in 2015, they had gone downhill more so since 2012 with them trying to switch away from sixth to seventh generation and as already mentioned, the PC versions were rather pathetic.

If I remember rightly, they never priced the PC DVD version as a "full price" game so it was easy to swallow but when they started wanting to charge full price for a shovel of ****, I had to say no.

Playing FIFA has not all been bad, one thing FIFA does get right is the whole "Matchday presentation", crowd chants, home/away fans in the real life sections of the ground, commentary.. oh goodness, please tell me the commentary in PES is still not "point a gun to my head" inducing :D Not the end of the world either way but my last memory of PES commentary is it being completely awful.

Another thing I appreciated in FIFA is depth of leagues, as in there are 4 leagues in England for example. Are nations still limited to two leagues?

Last edited:
Your probably not far off. My problem is after that it always seemed one step forward, 3 back, they made some very odd choices gameplay wise and combined with other things, I gave up :(

Your right, those things were the nail in the coffin for me. Combined with the fact up till 2014/2015, I was forced to purchase a DVD for some stupid reason as they were reluctant to publish on Digitally or on Steam and when they did , they scattered digital released across different stores with a rather **** update path.

When I stoppped in 2015, they had gone downhill more so since 2012 with them trying to switch away from sixth to seventh generation and as already mentioned, the PC versions were rather pathetic.

If I remember rightly, they never priced the PC DVD version as a "full price" game so it was easy to swallow but when they started wanting to charge full price for a shovel of ****, I had to say no.

Playing FIFA has not all been bad, one thing FIFA does get right is the whole "Matchday presentation", crowd chants, home/away fans in the real life sections of the ground, commentary.. oh goodness, please tell me the commentary in PES is still not "point a gun to my head" inducing :D Not the end of the world either way but my last memory of PES commentary is it being completely awful.

Another thing I appreciated in FIFA is depth of leagues, as in there are 4 leagues in England for example. Are nations still limited to two leagues?

@gimpymoo , you are not wrong about PES commentary. That was why personal stereos were invented I think to listen to your favourite music while playing five hours of an ML campaign.

Brackers and Brookers nostalgia is all very well but let's be honest, their commentary was total bollox.

oh goodness, please tell me the commentary in PES is still not "point a gun to my head" inducing :D Not the end of the world either way but my last memory of PES commentary is it being completely awful.
Not a lot has changed in this regard... It also depends on the language, I guess.
There are only two second divisions in the game (England, France). They didn't even get the promotion system right for France.

Regarding gameplay, you can always try the F2P version.

I am a PC PES player, have been since PES 3 on PC and before that, ISS3 on PC.

I left PES back in about 2015, fed up with the half assed PC ports and general lack of progression with Master league etc. Before 2015, some of the releases were awful.

I want to come home, are things on the up for PES now?

See the problem here is why the hell are you asking us this and why aren't you making the judgement for yourself. Where is your self responsibility and why aren't you taking ownership on what suits you?

See i disagree with your question. Its YOU who must decide if PES 2019 is good for you, regardless of what we think!

See the problem here is why the hell are you asking us this and why aren't you making the judgement for yourself. Where is your self responsibility and why aren't you taking ownership on what suits you?

See i disagree with your question. Its YOU who must decide if PES 2019 is good for you, regardless of what we think!

In fairness, Pes is like a tasty-looking apple with a rotten core but it can take over a year to get to the core.

The other thing is that being a PC player you could spend craploads of money on a top-end machine and internet etc.

Could save a couple grand, time, a few controllers and your hair knowing that PES is not what its supposed to be.

Last edited:
why aren't you taking ownership on what suits you?

WOW, did you get out the wrong side of bed this morning?

In reply, I did that four years ago and decided PES was **** and did it not suit me, this was after buying it year on year for over a decade. At the end of which, I decided it did not suit. PES can often look wonderful then after some hours its flaws become apparent which is why asking others who have played for such times are best suited to respond.

I would not have believed airing my grievances about prior PES and asking about its current state to get some feedback on a PES community would gainer such a response.

If you feel you cannot respond positively or contribute, why bother responding.

Thank anyway bro.

WOW, did you get out the wrong side of bed this morning?

In reply, I did that four years ago and decided PES was **** and did it not suit me, this was after buying it year on year for over a decade. At the end of which, I decided it did not suit. PES can often look wonderful then after some hours its flaws become apparent which is why asking others who have played for such times are best suited to respond.

I would not have believed airing my grievances about prior PES and asking about its current state to get some feedback on a PES community would gainer such a response.

If you feel you cannot respond positively or contribute, why bother responding.

Thank anyway bro.

Not at all, how you wrote your original post really concerned me, sorry i made an example out of you but it concerns me this mentallity that people are too focused on others peoples 'approval' to try something rather than find whats right for them which is the most important thing.

My example is i received Red Dead Redemption 2 which is a masterpiece of a game, but i got 15% of the way though it then stopped, not becuase it was bad, it was awesome, i just find most 'games' like that essentially a waste of time. Now I only use PES, Gran Turismo and F1 2018 becuase i know exactly what i like, what fits my lifestyle, i couldn't care less other peoples opinions. (I would use rFactor an Automobillsia but i need a new PC and a good wheel.)

People here can advise you but at the end of the day the most important thing is you need to know what you want! There was no need to feel 'ashamed' in the first place, if you don't like a game, its your decision, its fine. really has nothing to do with anyone elses approval, there is no need to justify your own feelings.

This was something someone told me a number of years ago, its a very important thing in life to know what you want in life and know what suits you.

You will see its better to come to the forum discussing your own opinions on what you like from the game and what your getting out of it or what you really dislike and see if theres anything that can be changed. This is the best way to use this forum and the best way to find what you want.

Dude, the "is it OK to come back?" was not a literal question, it was more of a "wink wink, nudge nudge". I did not think it needed explaining. I am not actually "ashamed"... that was a poor attempt at humour :D

Stop assuming everyone is a mindless dumbass unable to think for themselves.

I do not need advice on "how to use a forum" as I doubt the majority here do.

If you're on PC, then with all the mods you can probably get some joy out of it.

If you're on the console then save yourself some hair and mental health and dont even try 19. Better to go for 17.

Im gone the other way now. Playing FIFA and enjoying it. Pes19 on consoles is soul destroying mess.

If you're on PC, then with all the mods you can probably get some joy out of it.

If you're on the console then save yourself some hair and mental health and dont even try 19. Better to go for 17.

Im gone the other way now. Playing FIFA and enjoying it. Pes19 on consoles is soul destroying mess.

Nah, try PES 3 on the definitive PES console.

:circle::triangle::square::x: :BOUNCE::BOUNCE::BOUNCE:

Dude, the "is it OK to come back?" was not a literal question, it was more of a "wink wink, nudge nudge". I did not think it needed explaining. I am not actually "ashamed"... that was a poor attempt at humour :D

I think if you added some emojis it would of worked. I mean i do see your point and humor but these days so many of the younger generations are huge snowflakes it really concerns me. So it is me being harsh.

BTW wtf does "taking ownership " mean ?

Sounds suspiciously capitalist to the Dinner.

:R1

It's about being aware of what you control. For example an issue i see with many youngsters is to feel as if a regular supermarket job is 'beneath them' and they don't take ownership of their role and responsibility to hold down a role and are too focused on what they don't even have.

The important thing is to master what you have been given. Like a game of poker to maximise the hand you have been given.

I think if you added some emojis it would of worked. I mean i do see your point and humor but these days so many of the younger generations are huge snowflakes it really concerns me. So it is me being harsh.

It's about being aware of what you control. For example an issue i see with many youngsters is to feel as if a regular supermarket job is 'beneath them' and they don't take ownership of their role and responsibility to hold down a role and are too focused on what they don't even have.

The important thing is to master what you have been given. Like a game of poker to maximise the hand you have been given.

Dude, we live on a planet controlled by greedy, corrupt and malevolent corporations. The little guy controls, owns or has agency over zilch.

Dude, we live on a planet controlled by greedy, corrupt and malevolent corporations. The little guy controls, owns or has agency over zilch.

Greedy, corrupt and malevolent? Why are you being so kind? I find Spiritless, psychopathic and demonic to be far more appropriate :LOL:

anyway if this related to the original post i find the issue we have clearly in PES these days is Konami who are very much a corporation in the same power and ilk as described are simply not investing any love into the game anymore. Its just great gameplay then nothing else.

Its not even that anymore. They should change the name to Football Faces. Thats all it is right now..

It is quality gameplay, it's not quite perfect but its at the promised land. I've enjoyed it pretty much all year, i have a Schalke League mode which has been the best league mode I've ever had possibly in a football game, bar PES 2013 tournaments and some PES 5 stuff maybe. Gameplay is something this game excels in, its unforgiving and your defending needs to be on point or you get punished, which i love. What i don't love is the non existent atmosphere and absolutely piss poor presentation.

The tron running issue i spoken about since PES 2014 is still there, hence why the pitch still feels small and dribbling and movement just isn't as fluid as it can be like we saw in PES 2013 on the old PS2 engine, seems we will have to wait till the PS5 version on a upgraded engine for thi to happen.

It is quality gameplay, it's not quite perfect but its at the promised land. I've enjoyed it pretty much all year, i have a Schalke League mode which has been the best league mode I've ever had possibly in a football game, bar PES 2013 tournaments and some PES 5 stuff maybe. Gameplay is something this game excels in, its unforgiving and your defending needs to be on point or you get punished, which i love. What i don't love is the non existent atmosphere and absolutely piss poor presentation.

The tron running issue i spoken about since PES 2014 is still there, hence why the pitch still feels small and dribbling and movement just isn't as fluid as it can be like we saw in PES 2013 on the old PS2 engine, seems we will have to wait till the PS5 version on a upgraded engine for thi to happen.
You are obviously talking about PC version with all the mods, right?
Coz out of the box its diabolical.

See I dont agree with giving Konami credits for people hard work. If someone changes a shed into a lovely house, it doesnt change the fact, that out of the box it was a shed.

Ps. And just to be clear, im talking about gameplay, AI in particular. Not talking about cosmetics, kits, scoreboards, stadiums, turf or anything like that

Last edited:
KONAMI:
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I mostly play online this year and for me this is the best footbal game i've ever played in general if you consider fluidity,animations,feel on the ball,graphics,etc etc.
It's nowhere near perfect or great but if i had to choose only one to play,i'd still choose Pes 19.
Now if you want it only for offline maybe this won't be the case since the biggest point of offline is the cpu AI.
But it's always better to try for yourself and see if it is for you or not.
No matter what you read or hear from others will give you the exact image and feel when you play it yourself.
Only then you will know.

You are obviously talking about PC version with all the mods, right?
Coz out of the box its diabolical.

See I dont agree with giving Konami credits for people hard work. If someone changes a shed into a lovely house, it doesnt change the fact, that out of the box it was a shed.

Ps. And just to be clear, im talking about gameplay, AI in particular. Not talking about cosmetics, kits, scoreboards, stadiums, turf or anything like that

Nah, PS4 version, my Laptop isn't best suited for gaming right now and i need an upgrade, i can just about handle PES 2019 on it but i'm using it to create mods for everyone, it's not silky smooth.

PES 2019 off the pitch is diabolical! Dreadful grey dull menus and piss poor presentation. Its only use is good gameplay, the first versions had that unfinished issue with the low cross obsession, bar that every other patch has improved the game, some where a little annoying, i think 1.03 was a bit annoying at times but I've really enjoyed it this year.

The gameplay itself does represent modern football very well, i hate modern football so it causes an issue that there aren't many interesting teams in this sanitised, overhyped poor era of football. The best thing about this game is it's not easy, it don't hold your hand, it gets under your skin, the game pushes you, you need to set your team up and get your defence right, you need to find that right balance in attack. Obviously the tactics i do make a very positive impact on the AI, Its a great improvement from last year and serves a great base for the future. It still needs work with the dribbling but i'm at least happy in gameplay we have Konami to advance football games to this level. It's all we have, it could be better but it's good we have this in 2019.

I'm looking forward to bring out more classic teams this summer with pes universe which will stay preserved onto PES 2020. Issue is the game is very much built on the sanitised shitty modern football so there isn't that touch tackling factor the game pre 2007 had. This is something i will need to look at with Incas and his gameplay mods.

Im sorry, but we have to agree to disagree.
For months I was trying to defend this game, adjust things, advice people to try this or that or the other.
I played couple of seasons in few different countries and to me - Pes19 is one of the worst editions in history of this game.

- AI goals all the same.
- Dribbling from AI is non existent.
- Shots from distance are non existent.
(Edge of penalty box is not shot from distance)
- Every team plays exactly the same boring, shallow football. The only difference between playing team A and B are kits. Doesnt matter if a team is from Thailand, Spain or Argentina.
- All COM controlled players behave the same. There is ZERO AI individuality.

And challenge?? There is a big difference between proper challenge and fake challenge, where COM teams go into frenzy after loosing a goal, hit a laser guided pass from 50m and hit a surgical top corner finish, while your defenders are running away from the ball despite you having the direction pressed and hammering "clearance" button.
Pes19 is not challenging. Its frustrating mess based on AI momentum.

How many 0-0 matches did you have? Coz in all the seasons I played I had maybe 3.
How many penalties you had? I had none.
How many last minute goals have you conceded? I lost count half was through first season. How many times you were in position yet your defender didnt react to any buttons you pressed? How many times you ran into your own players coz they didnt move out of the way?
How many times did AI scored any other way than top corner finish from inside the box?
And please dont give me this "after last patch AI is much more variet" crap.. its not.

Pes was always shit off the pitch, but it was never that shit ON the pitch.

I do understand that as a pesuniverse guy you need to sugar coat and defend the game, but some things are just impossible to defend. And I really hope Pesuniverse lads will grow some balls and start saying out loud how it is, so Konami feels the pressure to pull their socks up.

Ps. At some point people lose credibility if they are not willing to admit that shite is shite.

I'm not sugar coating nothing, no need to. The gameplay has been great this year, much better than last years which took about 3 months to even become playable. Again, a lot of it comes down to tactics, teams are only going to play different if given instruction to do so, by default they aren't and regardless of that getting the defence right which has completely changed over the years in PES and since 2011 at least but more so than ever, defending is about positioning first and foremost. Its about not leaving the AI space to pass through you.

Its true the dribbling for the AI needs work, its still too much a pass based game, although i like that AI can beat you with skills again which is good, not sure whats happened since PES 2017 and the AI used to run at you but they don't anymore enough, however the keep is to shut down the AI passing game. Thats the way to enjoy PES. Get your defence right and find the balance in attack, from your grievances it really sounds as if the AI just pass through you and are able to score the same goal a lot, this dosen't happen to me and when it does it's my bad for poor defending 8/10 times, 2 out of 10 its a bit of bullshit or even cheating but it happens, its a game after all, happens in all football games.

This is why the Schalke League mode i will finish soon was awesome, the tactics created made it so entertaining, the games against Dortmund i have to give it to the AI their first goal was outstanding, i think i will have to do a video on it, so many great goals and moments from it. Interestingly i must say i have scored far, far more last minute goals than the AI have against me, again, all about defending. You really have to shut up shop when your leading by a goal or if its a draw in the last minute becuase the AI will throw everything at you. I don't have an issue with conceding late goals at all. I score more than i concede.

Also there aren't enough penalties however the few i get its usually due to me using skills and dropping the shoulder with the fake shot, its possible and sometimes their keeper saves them. The AI do get frustrated and will foul if your ahead and keep possession i find.

I'm not sugar coating nothing, no need to. The gameplay has been great this year, much better than last years which took about 3 months to even become playable. Again, a lot of it comes down to tactics, teams are only going to play different if given instruction to do so, by default they aren't and regardless of that getting the defence right which has completely changed over the years in PES and since 2011 at least but more so than ever, defending is about positioning first and foremost. Its about not leaving the AI space to pass through you.

Its true the dribbling for the AI needs work, its still too much a pass based game, although i like that AI can beat you with skills again which is good, not sure whats happened since PES 2017 and the AI used to run at you but they don't anymore enough, however the keep is to shut down the AI passing game. Thats the way to enjoy PES. Get your defence right and find the balance in attack, from your grievances it really sounds as if the AI just pass through you and are able to score the same goal a lot, this dosen't happen to me and when it does it's my bad for poor defending 8/10 times, 2 out of 10 its a bit of bullshit or even cheating but it happens, its a game after all, happens in all football games.

This is why the Schalke League mode i will finish soon was awesome, the tactics created made it so entertaining, the games against Dortmund i have to give it to the AI their first goal was outstanding, i think i will have to do a video on it, so many great goals and moments from it. Interestingly i must say i have scored far, far more last minute goals than the AI have against me, again, all about defending. You really have to shut up shop when your leading by a goal or if its a draw in the last minute becuase the AI will throw everything at you. I don't have an issue with conceding late goals at all. I score more than i concede.

Also there aren't enough penalties however the few i get its usually due to me using skills and dropping the shoulder with the fake shot, its possible and sometimes their keeper saves them. The AI do get frustrated and will foul if your ahead and keep possession i find.
I find your opinion varies so much from @Emroth , cause what you describe is in League mode.In ML when TS takes effect it pretty much strips off any individuality left from the rest “scenario”.
In my current ML save in my second season I have loaned Aubameyang, who is one of the top-five vanilla CFs this year, maybe top-3. Despite his stats he doesn’t perform nothing better than two random 17yo regen CFs I have in my roster, who are two average 70opr Argentinian guys from DefensaYJusticia and NOBoys. Either I play Aubameyang or the two regens I can’t spot any real difference.
Or to place it better, in any previous game, having a So stats-better player, always used to make some more obvious difference.

Back
Top Bottom