2006 FIFA World Cup (EA Sports)

Re: FIFA 06 - Road to FIFA World Cup (Xbox 360)

ClassicD said:
Very true, but by the same token you shouldn't go over the top about it till you've played it either.

Sorry Tomba, that post is hilarious. You're done with WE and you're going to play FIFA until a new one comes out? I would stake my house on it that you'll be bored of FIFA 360 long before the next-gen WE arrives.

he's whats happening. i edit pitches and I've tried like hell to make the best for a possible release as a pack. to this day i am not personally happy with my efforts. I make pitches from scratch meaning i make the bmp textures over to fit in WE9 or whatever. After seeing Fifa and how well it's been doen i just wanna play that now and give up on this editing on old hardware.

IGN's reporter on it after playing it at X05 : FIFA 06: I didn't really expect to be surprised by this title, especially given the rampant feature-stripping that seems to plague EA's sports lineup for the 360. Seriously, what's the deal the NBA Live 06's single season mode and where are Madden's create a player options? Of all their games, I had the most fun playing FIFA for no other reason than the game seemed to flow really smoothly. As soon as I picked up the controller I was lobbing crossing passes and orchestrating clutch stops on charging offenses, all with a slick framerate, detailed player models, excellent game announcer voices, and immersive crowd chanting. The individual player expressions were great to see, especially during celebration sequences and when the referee started handing out yellow cards during a brief onslaught of slide tackling I orchestrated. I can see FIFA 06 turning into one of those addictive and long-lasting experiences over Xbox Live.

Re: FIFA 06 - Road to 2006 FIFA World Cup (Xbox 360)

Milanista said:
Is it just me or do the graphics look ugly.

They look like bad renders.

Grass too long (and plastic)
lighting over contrasted
lighting over exposed and unnatural (light = 255,255,255)
kits looks plastic
skin looks plastic

Yep, bad cheap renders, but atleast theres plenty of room for improvement. :lmao:

Last edited:

The Black Sheep said:
They look like bad renders.

Grass too long (and plastic)
lighting over contrasted
lighting over exposed and unnatural (light = 255,255,255)
kits looks plastic
skin looks plastic

Yep, bad cheap renders, but atleast theres plenty of room for improvement. :lmao:

That's all a matter of a opinion. kinda like wanting ULTRA green grass textures in WE9 edited stadiums.

Alberto Tomba said:
That's all a matter of a opinion.

Its not really my opinion that everything has the same 'shineyness', it has, that is quite clear. Take the colour away and it'll look like it's made of the same material.

It's not really my opinion that the light is pure white, it is pure white. Again you can see the same highlighting on every object, couple that with the very black shadows, therefor it is overexposed or has some very simple lights put (thrown) in.

Having said that, especially with the bad lighting, from my experience it is my opinion that its a (bad) render, but hey, what do i know ;) :D \\:o/

Last edited:

Alberto Tomba said:
he's whats happening. i edit pitches and I've tried like hell to make the best for a possible release as a pack. to this day i am not personally happy with my efforts. I make pitches from scratch meaning i make the bmp textures over to fit in WE9 or whatever. After seeing Fifa and how well it's been doen i just wanna play that now and give up on this editing on old hardware.
That's got nothing to do with gameplay and year after year FIFA is way behind in this department. The current-gen WE/PES graphics are by no means ugly IMO, and I probably won't think of them that way until I see the next-gen versions. Hey man, I hope you get enjoyment out of whatever game you choose to play but surely the reason you got into editing for WE/PES in the first place was the fact it hightened the enjoyment of an already excellent game? With FIFA I think you'll enjoy the graphical enhancements initially but as always happens, and airjoca got it spot on here earlier, in no time at all you "can't see" them anymore because they're no longer new, the novelty wears off. At that point you'll realise you need the gameplay to sustain interest, and of course no one has played it yet but, FIFA doesn't exactly have a good track record in this department.

I'll put it blunty, I think some people are showing themselves to be graphics whores. I've done that myself in the past with PC shooters but learned the hard way that the money in my pocket should be used for something worthwhile and not something that's only going entertain me for a couple of weeks after purchase.

This debate will never be settled simple. I remember when the ps2 came out. I remember seing ISS and thinking that looks ace and played it and played it and it was utter pis*. But it still made Pro Evo on the ps1 look ultra lame and I could put up with that for the new graphics. However, it didn't half make the wait for the first pro evo on the ps2 worthwhile I remember being blown away by that game. And i fully expect the same with fifa 360.

It will blow me away graphically and will play ok and will most certainly do until next gen pes comes out and at that point I will be blown away once again. All I need now is a wee screenshot or a teaser. Please Konami!!!

The reason why this wont ever be settled is that people have their own tastes. Some like the graphics, some like the gameplay. And we've all had our own experiences which we use to judge games by.
I remember always liking the old FIFA games over the PES games before 2000. But that was only because the game always got more exposure and because I've always been playing it since the 2d versions on the SNES.
But then I started playing ISS Pro Evo on PSX cuz FIFA didnt work on my console for some strange reason. And its because of that I became a PES fan.
Which is why I would normally look at those new FIFA screenshots and think "Yeah. It'll suck as usual".

Everyone here has had some sort of experience that has influenced the way they look at games. Which IMO is wrong. Which is why in the last two years that I've started to look at games differently. I even convinced some of my PES mates to do the same and we actually managed to get the FIFA disc into the console and play it (normally they would have killed me for even saying FIFA).

My advice to all you guys is that F*ck all the opinions that everyone gives you. Just look at it as a normal game and ignore anything you've seen or played in the past. And I promise you that you'll actually start enjoying more games than ever before. Including this one.

I'll sum it up for you.

I like the XBox 360

RuneEdge said:
The reason why this wont ever be settled is that people have their own tastes. Some like the graphics, some like the gameplay. And we've all had our own experiences which we use to judge games by.
I remember always liking the old FIFA games over the PES games before 2000. But that was only because the game always got more exposure and because I've always been playing it since the 2d versions on the SNES.
But then I started playing ISS Pro Evo on PSX cuz FIFA didnt work on my console for some strange reason. And its because of that I became a PES fan.
Which is why I would normally look at those new FIFA screenshots and think "Yeah. It'll suck as usual".

Everyone here has had some sort of experience that has influenced the way they look at games. Which IMO is wrong. Which is why in the last two years that I've started to look at games differently. I even convinced some of my PES mates to do the same and we actually managed to get the FIFA disc into the console and play it (normally they would have killed me for even saying FIFA).

My advice to all you guys is that F*ck all the opinions that everyone gives you. Just look at it as a normal game and ignore anything you've seen or played in the past. And I promise you that you'll actually start enjoying more games than ever before. Including this one.

Awesome post. I can relate to that 100% with trying to get my mates to give it a go.

But some good news for you if you're looking forward to the game.

Now people who know me know that I work in the retail side of the games industry. Recently (we're talking 6-7 days ago) Microsoft held a conference to retail giants Game & Gamestation. I didnt get to go (not ranked high enough in my store-yet) but a close friend who works for our competitor did.

He was treated to a full day of 360 chit chat, game demonstrations, and even having a play on most of the launch titles.

So anyway (keeping to topic) he got a play of Fifa 06 on 360, and his impressions are very good. like me hes a massive PES fan, but was taken back by (you guessed it) the graphics. Luckily thats not the only good thing about it. From his first play its much better than the current gen versions. He said dribbling makes more sense, meaning that you dont have to hammer the 'trick stick' to beat players. Its very subtle like in PES.

I showed him the gameplay video of Italy-Albania to make him understand the negativity from my side and other people on this board. After viewing it though he told me:

'it doesnt do the game justice. The graphics are fantastic even when viewed from far away. You cant even see how the ball moves, or the way players hit it propaly. Some animations are really lost in that vid, like the shirt swaying, and playing calling out to each other. Dont trust that vid, Im telling you its good. Saying that, PES5 still pisses on it gameplay-wise' well duh!

For me that statement is very pleasing because I do wanna have some next-gen footy asap. And because me&him have the same sort of taste I reckon EA have got a good game out on the 360. Shame its not great, but atleast I got PES5 in the mean time :)

^^ Thanks for that info. Its reasuring to know that the video is decieving, because it realy dissapointed me. In most cases screen shots dont do games justice, and in some even screenshots dont either (look at the psp screen shots, then play the game and see it in full swing, there is a BIG difference). Now im just waiting to see what Konami can show us and how the ps3 will comapare.

It all comes back to one thing; dont knock it until you have tried it. A lot of people on here will hear the word fifa or even the word xbox and cover their eyes and ears, not even giving it a chance. I have one thing to say to you people, you are only cheating yourselves, depriving yourself of enjoying games the way they should be enjoyed. Broaden you horizons and open your eyes, there is a whole world of gaming out there waiting to be enjoyed :) .

If you guys go to Xboxhyde they have a X05 preview page and on it is gameplay vid. to me it IS improved upon Fifa 06.

Adonis said:
'it doesnt do the game justice. The graphics are fantastic even when viewed from far away. You cant even see how the ball moves, or the way players hit it propaly. Some animations are really lost in that vid, like the shirt swaying, and playing calling out to each other. Dont trust that vid, Im telling you its good. Saying that, PES5 still pisses on it gameplay-wise' well duh!

Sorry but thats the most important thing for me, if pes5 still pisses on it for gameplay then my impressions of it were right. It'll all looks but no brains! Its been said a few times in this thread already, looks can only keep you intrested for so long. I think it looks shite anyway personally, everything has been over-exaggerated graphically. There trying to hard with the some graphics, but the player appearences look shit.....I mean we can get better playere likeness on pes/we on our ps2 ffs!!

So for me the video does do it justice, cos I thought the gameplay looked crap. I'll let one of my gay fifa mates buy it, then i can just play it but I can also give it back when I'm bored. There's no way I'll be putting pes/we down if the gameplay ain't as good!

Only judging on the graphics, especially the ball/grass/stadium/goal, it looks believable, exactly how it should look.

nice showcast of how good PES360 will look. and renzo will love them goalnets!

Last edited:

PESV said:
Only judging on the graphics, especially the ball/grass/stadium/goal, its look believable,exactly how it should look.

wow.. nice showcast of how good PES360 will look. and renzo will love them goalnets!

Exactly! Couldnt agree more everybody going on about oh you'll get bored etc this is an ideal way to get a feel for the 360 and showcase its abilities. It can only get better if thats the first attempt.

Yeh but the point is the guy who actually played it said "PES5 still pisses on it gameplay-wise" so for me thats just wank. I mean I don't even like the graphics of it tbh, the shorts are like Shaquille O'Neal's......the shirts look like plastic. The grass is longer than whats in my backgarden. The player appearence look crap, the lighting is all fucked up. I really hope the next-gen pes/we doesn't look like this, but I'm confident Konami will make better use of the new power. But this is just my opinion and from what I've seen and heard.

Also you will get bored, I play games for gameplay. I still prefer to play old Amiga games on my psp emulator to some modern games. Even though the graphics are nowhere near as good. I would rather play SWOS than the current fifa 06 cos the gameplay just kicks it's fucking ass!

Looks attract you to the game....gameplay keeps you playing the game!

Well It's a game i'm buying for my 360:)

mattster12 said:
Yeh but the point is the guy who actually played it said "PES5 still pisses on it gameplay-wise" so for me thats just wank. I mean I don't even like the graphics of it tbh, the shorts are like Shaquille O'Neal's......the shirts look like plastic. The grass is longer than whats in my backgarden. The player appearence look crap, the lighting is all fucked up. I really hope the next-gen pes/we doesn't look like this, but I'm confident Konami will make better use of the new power. But this is just my opinion and from what I've seen and heard.

Also you will get bored, I play games for gameplay. I still prefer to play old Amiga games on my psp emulator to some modern games. Even though the graphics are nowhere near as good. I would rather play SWOS than the current fifa 06 cos the gameplay just kicks it's fucking ass!

Looks attract you to the game....gameplay keeps you playing the game!

Very true.

But at the same time I think we should pass judgement once we played it. Ive been like this ever since passing off WE9 as being very similar to WE8:LE after seeing a video. It looked the same, but we all know how different it was when we finally played it.

Its fair to say from the vid that the gameplay looks very similar to current gen, but im sure there will be subtle improvements that make a big difference.

My only concern is that lack of teams. I mean, how many times can you go through a qualification before getting bored? my most played mode is the master league in PES/WE. The equivalent in Fifa 06 was the enjoyable manager mode. Im not too sure what will keep me playing in this next gen version.

Yeh true mate, but like i said I was just giving my opinion from what I'd seen and heard. But I will play it, I defintley won't be buying it cos of the impression is giving me at the moment. But if it plays well then I will surely buy it. I suppose I'm just a bit disappointed really cos I was expecting EA to do something really special in terms of gameplay. I mean they have the power there to do things we used to dream about. Also I wanted them to do something good to help make Konami work abit harder.

But all it looks like to me is they've just buttered fifa 06 up, but like I said I think they've gone over the top in some graphical aspects. There doesn't seem to be any ground breaking gameplay changes. But EA always try and sell the looks side of things cos their gameplay sucks.

But like you said after you've played the qualification side and done the world cup there doesn't seem to be much more to keep you playing. Cos it certainly doesn't look like the gameplay will to me personally.

mattster12 said:
Yeh true mate, but like i said I was just giving my opinion from what I'd seen and heard. But I will play it, I defintley won't be buying it cos of the impression is giving me at the moment. But if it plays well then I will surely buy it. I suppose I'm just a bit disappointed really cos I was expecting EA to do something really special in terms of gameplay. I mean they have the power there to do things we used to dream about. Also I wanted them to do something good to help make Konami work abit harder.

But all it looks like to me is they've just buttered fifa 06 up, but like I said I think they've gone over the top in some graphical aspects. There doesn't seem to be any ground breaking gameplay changes. But EA always try and sell the looks side of things cos their gameplay sucks.

But like you said after you've played the qualification side and done the world cup there doesn't seem to be much more to keep you playing. Cos it certainly doesn't look like the gameplay will to me personally.

Im 100% with you on the fact that EA could of done so much more with this version. I personally think it looks great, but they could of done loads with the player models and animation.

Konami talk loads about wanting each player to look different and have player percific animations. They started it off in PES5 with the ability to change dribble animations. I always defended fifa from doin this because I felt they simply couldnt do it due to hardware limitations. Especially with the silly number of teams and players in the game.

But they have no excuses this time. I mean they've only got 72 teams ffs, and on next gen hardware. Yet the players still dribble the same, run the same, move the same. Its great having you players look exactly like their real life counterpart (Ronaldinho looks amazing for eg) but if they have the exact same mannerisms as the other players on the pitch it take away the shine.

Saying all that, I still cant wait to play it :p

mattster12 said:
It'll all looks but no brains!

If people seriously think the players/shirts/skin/lighting/movement/animation look in any way 'good', i'm glad they dont work in games (unless of course, they are on another 15 hour shift at EA).

Last edited:

The Black Sheep said:
If people seriously think the players/shirts/skin/lighting/movement/animation look in any way 'good', i'm glad they dont work in games (unless of course, they are on another 15 hour shift at EA).

I never said it looked good did I lol, quite the opposite. What I meant was EA are tyring to sell the game through looks alone, rather than concentrating on the most important thing which is the gameplay. But like I said I think it looks shit!

lol and he never said he was talking to u did he? ;)

but who cares they all wear thick flubby clothes in america and who cares they all walk like the had it in the (|) the night before. the goal, the ball, the stadia, the grass, the addboards, they are near perfect.

so the possibility to make a realistic game with believable graphics is there. lightning, player models, shirts etc., they can all be easily tweaked. its a pitty the EA team has a different look on certain aspects of reality then the rest of the planet but who cares cause their gameplay is shit anyhows..the next kid on the block will show them how its done and we will pick the fruits..so its exiting to see these kind of graphic possibilities ..no matter what EA did with it.

PES360 will look awsome. and better yet they dont have to rush out a product like ea is doing.

weird, i dont think that qoute was in it before? plus he was talking about 'people' ..hence the mistake.. my bad.

btw that avater is soo hypnotizing :)

Watched some more gameplay videos and it really looks quite bad the long balls are awful and how anyone could think they look good in beyond me, shooting is not better and the passes look like they're glued to the floor. :|

Back
Top Bottom