Fifa 14 Career Mode discussions

Shooto

Premiership
16 April 2002
Scotland
Celtic
Thought I would get this one started :)

I have taken the unusual step of taking on a top team at the request of Sir Alex. Can I live up to the expectations? I started with no transfer window at the start, and realised that Fellaini wasn't in the team :(

I am looking to strengthen at the back to replace an ageing Rio Ferdinand, and have enquired about a transfer window signing of Juan Mata. Plenty of youngsters to bring through :)

Results so far,

Wigan 0-1 Utd to win the Community Shield

Swansea 0-1 Utd Tense opener where RVP grabbed the crucial goal.

Utd 1-1 Crystal Palace - A small blip in the season surely

Utd 1-0 Chelsea - a close affair, though my unnerving of Jose at the press conference done the job :)

Liverpool 1-2 Utd - A great match where Suarez and Couthino proved to be a real handful, however a long shot by Chicharito and a composed finish by Kagawa saw a hard earned 3 points taken back to Old Trafford.

All manual but only on Professional with no sliders. Will up the level once I get used to it, however all the games have been fairly close.

Really enjoying this mode as online is so pants!

Does anyone know why sometimes a scout will find a player and his report on the player will be complete from the get go, as in all information including OVR is available right away?

I've been looking for an LB,and a scout sent to Spain just returned his first updates which included Jordi Alba and Marcelo, and both their scouting reports are complete. (The scout is only a two star scout.) Is it because they're top players at well known clubs?

Also, is there somewhere I can go to see all my scouted players at once? I see that I can look at scouted players by scout and also by each separate set of distinct instructions, but nowhere can I see all them at once. Am I missing something?

Download the latest squads before starting a career, and all the latest transfers will be in place, including Felliani. ;)

Wow, just got terminated by Spurs without any notice. I used to be that if you were in danger of losing your job you'd at least be told that your contract was under review or something. Not in this instance.

In this case, I was just turning things around, beat Man City at the Etihad, and was canned right after the match. To be fair, I was like in 17th place or something. Still, a little warning would've been nice. Especially since results had been improving.

(The improvement coincided with me switching from Normal gamespeed to Slow. This is on World Class. I was getting killed on Normal gamespeed - lost 6-0 to Villa - then switched to Slow gamespeed and results starting going more my way.)

The weird thing is that then I was offered new jobs, all at Prem teams that are better off in the standings than I left Spurs in!

Download the latest squads before starting a career, and all the latest transfers will be in place, including Felliani. ;)

I heard that after a few games in, but don't want to start again.

Spurs are top of the league in my game to mfmaxpower

I don't get why EA/Konami can't just leave Career Mode to have the same AI scripting as the exhibition mode, but with slight differences.

Had one of THOSE matches just now. I had 21 shots, 15 on target including 3 double saves. Didn't manage to score.

Beaten 2-0 from the only two shots from the opposition, both from chipped through balls and the old 'can't select the right defender' trick.

It's just comical. I might as well of not been playing the game, the CPU had clearly decided before I played what the result would be.

I know in real life this kind of happens, but it's incredibly rare. In FIFA it's pretty much every other away match.

It's a great game, but the CM is broken cause of that for me. Which sucks, cause it's the only real single player experience worth sinking some time into.

I don't get why EA/Konami can't just leave Career Mode to have the same AI scripting as the exhibition mode, but with slight differences.

Had one of THOSE matches just now. I had 21 shots, 15 on target including 3 double saves. Didn't manage to score.

Beaten 2-0 from the only two shots from the opposition, both from chipped through balls and the old 'can't select the right defender' trick.

It's just comical. I might as well of not been playing the game, the CPU had clearly decided before I played what the result would be.

I know in real life this kind of happens, but it's incredibly rare. In FIFA it's pretty much every other away match.

It's a great game, but the CM is broken cause of that for me. Which sucks, cause it's the only real single player experience worth sinking some time into.

Hmm so the more i read the more it sounds both footie games aren't worth the price of admission this year

At least i rheard though ea is aware of some gameplay/AI issues and working on a fix?

Last edited:
I'm at Real Sociedad en I've been getting e-mails from the board after certain defeats saying that they want to see me make "more noticeable changes" before important matches... What is that about? What do they want me to do, randomly bench my starting players and bring in some others? It's weird.

I'm kind of hoping I get fired, because I've never been fired in Fifa. And I'm currently struggling in mid table half way through the season, while I'm supposed to qualify for the "Champions Cup", so I'm sort of expecting to get canned in the near future. I remember in Fifa 12 I tried to get fired once by starting a career with a top team and forfeiting literally every match. Nothing happened though.

I do feel I'm getting better at the game. Just yesterday I learned that flicking the right (?) stick twice while holding the right trigger will cause you to kick the ball further ahead. That will come in handy when trying to outrun defenders. Don't know if it's a new addition or if this also works in Fifa 13, but for me it's new... I'm used to flicking the stick just once.

I also don't like that a lot of games feel scripted. I'm still in the cup after two penalty shootouts against two opponents I was initially crushing and should have beaten by at least four or five goals. But no, I'm up 2-0 and then suddenly I keep missing all my chances and of course they're converting their two chances into goals...

I had LOADS of those types of matches yesterday in my Dortmund CM. Insanely frustrating. The type of experience that had me adjusting sliders every other game. I had so many quality chances with very little to show for them. The CPU however would punish me with a header or lofted through ball.

I'm at Real Sociedad en I've been getting e-mails from the board after certain defeats saying that they want to see me make "more noticeable changes" before important matches... What is that about? What do they want me to do, randomly bench my starting players and bring in some others? It's weird.

I think those emails are the new "you're about to be fired" emails. It used to be you got told your job was under review but I got the email you're talking about twice with Spurs and was soon fired - ironically after beating Man City away.

Annoyingly they've deliberately borked free transfers again, at the end of the first season there were dozens and dozens of players with 1 month left on their contract, start the 2nd season and every single player has magically agreed a new contract with their club so nobody remotely decent is available as a free transfer :(

If you are playing the PC version, I can possibly help you eliminate the scripting in CM (it's not scripting actually, it's CPU stat boosts). I was able to eliminate it in FIFA 13, I just don't know if the same gamefile codes will work in 14 as I'm still playinhg the demo. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Just had my best match in CM as Blackburn.My 1st FA cup match against Everton at Goodison.I know I didn't stand a chance against them.So decided to defend deep and if I'm lucky I'll hit them on the counter.Thanks to Robinson we drew 0-0.

The replay match I tried to do the same but sadly Kone scored for them at the end of the 1st half.Still losing so brought in a second striker.Before the change I equalized at 87 min and guess who? He was Todd Kane my right back.

Extra time Rhodes score for me in 1st half then Barry equalized for them in 2nd half.Lost in penalties but still proud of the performance and how I managed to reach penalties. :D

the scout thing is annoying.

but only in the way they present it. Its so messy.

They tell you there is a report ready for a player by email you click on it and it takes you to the screen with all of the players, so you have to find him.....why not just go straight to the page where it tells you about him?

also where is the in depth analysis? do you have to scout them a number of times to get it? I have done one scouting on a few players and it has the stats, but it doesn't tell you much about the scouts thoughts on them?

They should split up all players on ones your scouts have found, then ones you are in the process of scouting further and then your shortlist (where is the short list by the way?)

I've only played a few games and not gone into it very deep, but they don't make it easy the way they sort the players.

Another thing if they say they have found 6 new players, they should really be at the top of the list, but when I go in how do I see who are the new ones? because lots of the previous ones show up before, so I have to sift through them and try and remember the ones i have already looked at.

I think i am missing something, because they can't have made it this difficult and soo user unfriendly surely?

I will have a deeper look into it tomorrow.

Can't find how you asign your scout to another country or region.
An example:
I sent my scout to Argentina to find a cb. He has found one, but he seems not the kind of player i want. Now i want my scout do the same search in Colombia. Haven't got the feintest clue.

CM has taken a step backwards in some fairly key areas. For example in Fifa 13, when asking about players' availability, you had the option to go straight to the transfer offer screen on the same email. Where's that gone now? Indeed, how the hell do you actually make an offer for a player now? EA have tidied up the menus in some areas, but in others, they've made it a sweet mystery as to how to get to certain key sections, such as how to sign players.

Also, from what I can see, you still can't do a side by side comparison of your squad players and potential new signings. That is extremely disappointing.

Can't find how you asign your scout to another country or region.
An example:
I sent my scout to Argentina to find a cb. He has found one, but he seems not the kind of player i want. Now i want my scout do the same search in Colombia. Haven't got the feintest clue.

Highlight the scout, press Y (or whatever the top middle button is for PS3) then choose relocate or recall.

If CM is getting you down, just quit out of the mode and play an exhibition match. This game is f*cking brilliant, it really is.

I think I'll leave CM alone for now, unless I can fix whatever is happening to me and the CPU. Playing the game without these 'cheats' is almost like playing a new version.

If CM is getting you down, just quit out of the mode and play an exhibition match. This game is f*cking brilliant, it really is.

I think I'll leave CM alone for now, unless I can fix whatever is happening to me and the CPU. Playing the game without these 'cheats' is almost like playing a new version.

Hmmm. Without a shadow of a doubt, the football isn't as good in CM as it is in Exhibition matches.

CM has taken a step backwards in some fairly key areas. For example in Fifa 13, when asking about players' availability, you had the option to go straight to the transfer offer screen on the same email. Where's that gone now? Indeed, how the hell do you actually make an offer for a player now? EA have tidied up the menus in some areas, but in others, they've made it a sweet mystery as to how to get to certain key sections, such as how to sign players.

Never mind: I'm an idiot - I'd forgotten that I've disabled the first transfer window...

:FAIL:

the scout thing is annoying.

but only in the way they present it. Its so messy.

They tell you there is a report ready for a player by email you click on it and it takes you to the screen with all of the players, so you have to find him.....why not just go straight to the page where it tells you about him?

also where is the in depth analysis? do you have to scout them a number of times to get it? I have done one scouting on a few players and it has the stats, but it doesn't tell you much about the scouts thoughts on them?

They should split up all players on ones your scouts have found, then ones you are in the process of scouting further and then your shortlist (where is the short list by the way?)

I've only played a few games and not gone into it very deep, but they don't make it easy the way they sort the players.

Another thing if they say they have found 6 new players, they should really be at the top of the list, but when I go in how do I see who are the new ones? because lots of the previous ones show up before, so I have to sift through them and try and remember the ones i have already looked at.

I think i am missing something, because they can't have made it this difficult and soo user unfriendly surely?

I will have a deeper look into it tomorrow.

You're not alone. The more I play it, the more I'm hating the new GTN. First, like you said it's really poorly designed in the way it organizes and displays information. You kinda get used to it, but it could've been so much more user friendly.

Also, I'm finding the scouts to be unreliable. Playing as Chelsea I sent a scout to France to find a 1st team quality striker. He found no one. Seriously? I can think of three off the top of my head that he should've found - Ibra, Cavani, and Falcao. This isn't the first time I've sent a scout somewhere and he didn't find players that off the top of my head I knew he should have.

This for me is a deal breaker. If I can't trust the system to find the right players, then it just gives me even more reason to completely bypass it and use online player databases.

Also, as a byproduct of the GTN, they've removed OVRs from opposing teams in pre-match situations, like the press conference and in the man marking section of team management. Basically, unless I'm already very familiar with a team I'm about to play, it's a complete mystery. And even with familiar teams, you never know about team selection. FIFA desperately needs greater strategic depth, and removing any and all information about the team your about to play is the complete opposite of what is needed.

Apparently there's a really bad finance bug with the game but someone came up with a workaround:

The bug:

I ended one season with £57m transfer budget after a very successful season. Start the next season and the board gives me £35m for the season for transfers so in total I'd have around £92m, right?

Wrong. They completely remove the winnings of the previous season and just give you the £35m

The workaround:

After the final game of the season, I put my budget to the ratio of 1:99 (You might want to do this around June 20th incase players want wage increases).

- On one of my youth players which I'm never going to use I give them literally all of my budget as wages. I.e. I've given Michael Keane from Man United a wage per week off around 1.7 million.

- Now I have zero money

- I progress to the next season and have around 30mil from the board

- Then what I did was I went to the player search, searched for transfer listed, found a player who is around 35 and being sold for 100k (dead cheap), then offered no money and Michael Keane

- They accept as Keane is worth half a million +

- Once the new player joins, release him as you don't want him

- Now you'll have your extra 1.7million in the wage section, so push your slider to 50:50 or whatever you want it to be and you'll have your 70+ million

in game injuries do not seem as good as in 13... at least in my CM. unless i put them to 100, i dont see much at all... then at 100, everyone gets a ham injury every time they spring.
playing PS3

It's quite interesting how it seems the AI is also somewhat blind to overalls as well as us and base a lot more things on player stats and form rather than specifically overalls and values, I was after Meunier, his club wanted £3.4m when I enquired, couldn't raise the cash but for shit and giggles (after a number of failed trade attempts) offered them £750k in cash + Jordan Slew who had started the season on fire and was current top scorer after 3 games with 4 goals, Ovr of 68 and valued at £680k, they bit my hand off and the deal was done!

Another one, saw in the news Wanyama was being hunted by Aston Villa, or so the newspaper rumours said, enquired with Southampton and they wanted £10m, had nothing like it but offered Kacaniklic in a straight swap and they took it, he was valued at £4.1m at the time and in good form.

Hmmm. I wonder if player form influences scouting data so if a player is in good form, his from-to ratings would be higher (so if strikers finishing is 77 and he is in form, scout would report 76-85).
That would be realistic.

Hmmm. I wonder if player form influences scouting data so if a player is in good form, his from-to ratings would be higher (so if strikers finishing is 77 and he is in form, scout would report 76-85).
That would be realistic.

It seems that a player has three values in terms of money, his true value that only his own club sees, his form value and his enquiry value, almost every player I've bought has been well under his enquiry value, one good example is Andre Wisdom, enquired, Liverpool replied £1.7m, I asked for a season's loan with a £1.4m purchase price at the end of it and they said yes, never in the last Fifa had I been able to sign a player on loan+permanent at less than their known value, very happy of course as he's an excellent RB/CB for my current Championship Owls :)

Thought as much.
Shame, really liked that feature and I wouldn't mind if it was offline only.

Playing with Pompey atm and it'll be a miracle if I scrape anything useful with my resources and the GTN - not sure if it gets any better if your scouts are better. I think I'll put most of my time and resources into the youth system.

I had to lower my difficulty in my Southampton career to World class. Legendary was brutal. After all, my board expects me to qualify for Euro spot (really???).

Before you start the new season replace the starting lineup with the worst 11 players in your squad, will make the next season's objective a little more achievable ;)

Back
Top Bottom