What is YOUR FAVOURITE football game of all time?

guru83

League 1
8 August 2017
I have been playing PES 2018 a lot this week. I have yoyo'd from "hate it", to "love it" and back and forth.

But after spending a good amount of hours with it trying different difficulties, tactics, systems and how I play it, I can safely say I really enjoy it, despite it's flaws.

Saying that, what is the football game you have had best memories with...or the most fun?

Not from a technical standpoint, but for pure enjoyment and that "one more game" feeling, before you know it....it's 4am and the night has flown by!!

Erm..yeah. Best football game of all time?

Master league on PES 5/6, Unbelievable mode!!

If only it had the ability to switch teams as a manager that'd be perfect.
I would probably go with

PES 5, Master League and online matches. Must have spent 100s hours on that game.

A close second, don't laugh: FIFA World Cup 2010. I absolutely loved that game and thought EA we're heading in the right direction at last (I was wrong of course.)

ISS on the Super NES. God I loved that.

Shout out to Match Day and Match Day 2 on ZX Spectrum too. That's where it all began for me.

I would probably go with

PES 5, Master League and online matches. Must have spent 100s hours on that game.

A close second, don't laugh: FIFA World Cup 2010. I absolutely loved that game and thought EA we're heading in the right direction at last (I was wrong of course.)

ISS on the Super NES. God I loved that.

Shout out to Match Day and Match Day 2 on ZX Spectrum too. That's where it all began for me.

Goal storm 97!

It was the first ISS that had Ravanelli's hair and Baggio's divine ponytail, That was a game changer!!

I'm not sure I have a greatest one in particular, but there are a good number that gave me good long hours of fun. There are ones that were game changers for me, like "GOAL!" on the NES, ISS on SNES and WE7/PES3 on PS2 (maybe FIFA 08 PS360). I never had an Amiga so never got to play SWOS.

If I had to choose one, it'd be an anime rpg football game (well series) on NES and SNES. The dude in my avatar is from that anime and game ;). I know that's not a traditional football game, but oh well.

I'll have to say that I enjoyed my master league in PES 2013 immensely. With all the patches, the master league has everything from real-life sponsorship, putting your own face (from webcam) as the manager, and the fact that each players in the field play differently and feel unique. Closest feeling I have afterwards is the ML on PES 2016, but it's still miles from what I experienced in PES 2013.

My favourite football game?

FiFA Road To World Cup France 1998
FiFA 1999
FiFA 2001
FiFA 2002
FiFA World Cup Japan Korea 2002

Oh yeah.

I'll have to say that I enjoyed my master league in PES 2013 immensely. With all the patches, the master league has everything from real-life sponsorship, putting your own face (from webcam) as the manager, and the fact that each players in the field play differently and feel unique. Closest feeling I have afterwards is the ML on PES 2016, but it's still miles from what I experienced in PES 2013.
Pes 2013 was amazing. I remember buying an option file for Xbox 360 version and the guy had made stadiums for every team!

Great PES instalment was 2013.

I'm not sure I have a greatest one in particular, but there are a good number that gave me good long hours of fun. There are ones that were game changers for me, like "GOAL!" on the NES, ISS on SNES and WE7/PES3 on PS2 (maybe FIFA 08 PS360). I never had an Amiga so never got to play SWOS.

If I had to choose one, it'd be an anime rpg football game (well series) on NES and SNES. The dude in my avatar is from that anime and game ;). I know that's not a traditional football game, but oh well.

Captain Tsubasa-Majid

Had it on the nes and Snes, Amazing!!

For years my favourite footy game was the Master League in PES5. I kept going back to it year after year.

But in the last 6 weeks I have discovered PES2008 the PS2 version. It has been sadly overlooked because this game was rubbish on PC, Xbox, and PS3, and because of the patches available on the PC for the older games. But on the PS2 this is far better than PES5, 6, and WE9LE. It is better because of TeamVision which means the AI adapts to how you play, attacking and defensively. In the last 6 weeks I have seen so many different types of attacking play and different types of shots from both the AI and myself. There are the classic 0-0's but also the classic 3-3's. And I am still playing on Regular difficulty!

Also in my short time in the ML so far, it is harder to buy players because it depends on your team rating. Once that goes up then you can go for the big guns. Yep I know there are regens but with the simplicity of option files and memory cards I can just change the regens names and appearances on my ML option file and keep a separate one for the other game modes. No need for creating separate accounts like we have to do on the PS4.

There is also Random Selection match (similar to PES2018 I believe), and World Tour which includes certain challenges like score 3 goals in a match, and avoid being offside. These add to the longevity to the game.

After so many years I have finally found that PES feeling again!

Pes 2017 without a doubt. ..gameplay. . longevity . .allowed you to express yourself like no other game .. .people are confusing which game played the best with which game they enjoyed the most. . .I enjoyed ISS 98 . . Pes 3/4 Pes 5. . Pes 2013 . .yes they had better features but they also reminded you of happier times in your life. . .like comparing tomb raider 1 to the rest of the titles . ..better technology came in but a loyalty will always remain though the memory of a better era in your life when simple games gave more enjoyment from the novelty of these games. . we're more demanding of entertainment these days.. rose tinted glasses are great for bringing up happier times but you have to be realistic. . a lot of people enjoy the days when they could dominate games and win and need that feeling back which they can't find with modern games because of the difficulty of winning. . .nothing wrong with reminiscing about happier times and trying to recreate it. .that's what games are about .. fantasy. I would love to capture the feeling of those old games but I can't by comparing the modern with the old days.

Pes 2017 without a doubt. ..gameplay. . longevity . .allowed you to express yourself like no other game .. .people are confusing which game played the best with which game they enjoyed the most. . .I enjoyed ISS 98 . . Pes 3/4 Pes 5. . Pes 2013 . .yes they had better features but they also reminded you of happier times in your life. . .like comparing tomb raider 1 to the rest of the titles . ..better technology came in but a loyalty will always remain though the memory of a better era in your life when simple games gave more enjoyment from the novelty of these games. . we're more demanding of entertainment these days.. rose tinted glasses are great for bringing up happier times but you have to be realistic. . a lot of people enjoy the days when they could dominate games and win and need that feeling back which they can't find with modern games because of the difficulty of winning. . .nothing wrong with reminiscing about happier times and trying to recreate it. .that's what games are about .. fantasy. I would love to capture the feeling of those old games but I can't by comparing the modern with the old days.

I do agree with what you say Deco. But for me and PES2008 i have only just discovered it as i didnt really play it back in the day.

So for me it really feels like a new game that im playing obviously apart from the graphics and 8 direction movement etc...

I just want to play a good game of footy and i'm pretty pleased i found it. :)

If i was you, because you love 2017, i would go back to playing that and look for different challenges in different leagues and stuff. :)

For years my favourite footy game was the Master League in PES5. I kept going back to it year after year.

But in the last 6 weeks I have discovered PES2008 the PS2 version. It has been sadly overlooked because this game was rubbish on PC, Xbox, and PS3, and because of the patches available on the PC for the older games. But on the PS2 this is far better than PES5, 6, and WE9LE. It is better because of TeamVision which means the AI adapts to how you play, attacking and defensively. In the last 6 weeks I have seen so many different types of attacking play and different types of shots from both the AI and myself. There are the classic 0-0's but also the classic 3-3's. And I am still playing on Regular difficulty!

Also in my short time in the ML so far, it is harder to buy players because it depends on your team rating. Once that goes up then you can go for the big guns. Yep I know there are regens but with the simplicity of option files and memory cards I can just change the regens names and appearances on my ML option file and keep a separate one for the other game modes. No need for creating separate accounts like we have to do on the PS4.

There is also Random Selection match (similar to PES2018 I believe), and World Tour which includes certain challenges like score 3 goals in a match, and avoid being offside. These add to the longevity to the game.

After so many years I have finally found that PES feeling again!
Oh, they added world tour too? The last time I played these were in the PES club championship versions.

EDIT: Btw, have you tried 2009-2014? The PS2 games, of course.

Last edited:
Pes 6
I had at least 20-30 seasons on that game,made Boro a world class team on it.
Pes 2011
Probably my three best seasons ever in a game on it.
Managed to escape relegation with Blackpool twice, one point the first season,two or three my second
Pes 2013
Remember how frustrated I was learning that game,then I made Boro a superpower again
Pes 2015
Had 7-8 great seasons on it,scripted as hell but enjoyable
Pes 2017
The game that brought video sharing into my gaming.
That game probably my most enjoyable of all Pes games,my Milan won the scudetto a ton of times,the cup,the supercup, Europa league, champions league.
Every every single title
FIFA 15
Had a good slider setup on that one,never won anything,kept myself in the PL for a nr of seasons
FIFA 16
Just like in 15,I played player career on it,controlling the whole team,started of with three seasons at Fratton park,then 4 at Burnley,then a few at Sunderland
Had a great time,and might go back and play up Pompey again

Perhaps not the best games,but the most enjoyable ones
And oh,This is football,can't remember which one,but man it was fun

Real proper football with real people on a real pitch...
I'd say on the terraces,with a beer in your hand, floodlights on,shitty pitch,a local derby, flares,smoke everywhere,the tension of going in to your local rivalries territory and back.

Pes 2017 without a doubt. ..gameplay. . longevity

Man, I truly thought Pes was back with 2017. Amazing demo, amazing in exhibition mode. But ML was meh a lot of the time, don't know what happened there. Can still play it but with taking breaks. The matches are a bit repetitive and there's not enough variety to the AI. But awesome base to work from and that's why 18 was a bigger disappointment for me. Some hope still left for next year or for a patch I guess.

If I even hear Blur, Song 2, anywhere, I start having FIFA 98 flashbacks. I spent the entire summer playing it from morning until night with a college friend of mine. We always played as Brazil (he was Brazilian).

Effing Ronaldo . . . those were the days.

I will "cut" it in 3 periods.

PES 1 in absolute. I'd also have big fun with Winning Eleven 7 I. (Japan version) and PES 5.

Fifa 10 ps3 with the first 360 degrees movement and a game changer.... but Fifa 11 was more balanced.
So Fifa 11. I'd disliked tactical defending, but having good moments and lot of fun making online amical tournament on Fifa 13, so let's go for a special mention.

And recently, PES 2017, without doubt: this game gives me back the feeling to play football games by pleasure, and not by habits...

My top:
1) PES1
2) PES 2017/PES 5 (equal)
3) Fifa 11

Special mention/ Fifa 13 and We7I
... And the most hated for me, in terms of "realistic" football game (but so fucking unbalanced and frustrating) was Fifa 15.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised anyone considers pes 17 a top game. But we have different opinions of course :D

It's actually one of my worst games, if we had a worst games list ;)

Oh, they added world tour too? The last time I played these were in the PES club championship versions.

EDIT: Btw, have you tried 2009-2014? The PS2 games, of course.

Hi Lami, yes world tour is in there :)

Unfortunately the games that came after on PS2 are not as good. The AI just seems to pass forward all the time and try to dribble straight through your defence a lot. I tried editing to stop the dribbling and to add more variety to the AI but it didn't work. It's a shame because it has the CL license and more teams in Div 1 and 2.

I will start posting some videos of my ML from PES2008 PS2 so you can see how good this game is. :)

I'm really surprised anyone considers pes 17 a top game. But we have different opinions of course :D

It's actually one of my worst games, if we had a worst games list ;)
Pes 2017 was so damn stiff and clunky, too easy to score as well.

Bad memories for me.

Back
Top Bottom