Top 10 TV Shows

R

Rob92

In the style of the other "Top 10 Movies" thread, use this one to list your favourite TV shows. This should help introduce people to new shows that they havn't watched yet :).

For me;

The Wire
The Sopranos
Huge gap
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Lost
Supernatural
Fringe
Chuck
Heroes (Season 1)

Last edited by a moderator:
The sopranos
The wire
Deadwood
Rome
John Adams
Band of brothers
Boardwalk empire
Twin Peaks
Treme
Carnivale

For consistency, great acting and great scripts:

Battlestar Galactica
Lost
Firefly
Generation Kill
The Pacific
Dexter
Breaking Bad
The Sopranos
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Bored to Death
The Office (US)
Freaks and Geeks
Entourage
Mad Men

Carnivale
Friends
The Wire
The Shield
Firefly
Farscape
Oz
Alias
South Park
Lost
Arrested Development
Deadwood
X-Files
Friday Night Lights
ReGenesis
Veronica Mars
Sons of Anarchy

Not in order

Lost
Breaking Bad
Prison Break
Dexter
Curb your Enthousiasm
Two and Half Men
The Big Bang Theory
Manimal
Married with Childrens
X-Files

Jesus, I forgot two of the best TV masterpieces of all times!

- The Simpsons (seasons 1-10)
- Futurama

X-Files
Sopranos
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Boardwalk Empire
Lost
Millenium
Curb
The Office (US)
Simpsons (before it got sh!t)

1 The Wire (far before all the rest)
2 Twin Peaks
3 Deadwood
4 The Shield
5 The Soprano's
6 Van Vlees en Bloed (Belgian)
7 The Killing (if you only consider the second season, this is the number two)
8 Mad Men
9 True Blood (very funny)
10 In de Gloria (Belgian)
11 Heimat
12 Romanza Criminale (i preferred the book)
13 Battle Star Galactica
14 Het eiland (Belgian)
15 De Ronde (Belgian)

From 2 to 15 are interchangeable...The Wire is far above all the rest IMO

Breaking Bad and Treme are series i want to see.

Lost had it's moments, but i did not like the last season.

My rubbish memory means I'll mostly mention shows already mentioned here. And in no order really:

1. The Wire
2. Lost
3. 24
4. Breaking Bad
5. Curb Your Enthusiasm
6. Prison Break
7. Entourage
8. Chuck
9. Jericho
10. Sleeper Cell

The Wire and Sopranos top 2

If you have Sky the new Sky Anytime+ has The Sopranos seasons 1-3 on there that you can watch at any time :)

Guess I need to get The Wire then.

-Mad Men
-Boardwalk Empire
-Damages (probably my favorite)
-True Blood
-Dexter
-Band of Brothers (better than The Pacific imo)
-Californication
-Friends
-Wire In The Blood (The best serial killer crime series)
-Silent Witness (last season's episode with the school shooting was excellent!)

Another great show in the Netherlands is Who Is The Mole? It isn't a drama show, but a celebrity "spy" show. I'm surprised it hasn't been re-created abroad. The premise of the show is that you have 10 contestants with one being undercover (The Mole). Every episode the contestants have 2 challenges that will win money for the pot. It's the Mole's job to sabotage the challenge without being found out. At the end of each show you have a test of 20 questions and whoever has the least correct anwsers gets sent home. Each season the show is set in a foreign country, they've had Japan, USA, Chile, etc.

The twist, and what makes the show work, is that because nobody knows who The Mole is, they start to also sabotage the challenges to make themselves look suspect, thereby confusing the other contestants and increasing their own chances. What happens is that the first couple of episodes people are reasonably friendly and open, but then the psycological warfare starts (in a nice way, people don't get vicious) with the contestants lying, manipulating and playing tricks to confuse each other. It's really amusing, but at the same time the viewer (and contestants) don't know who the Mole is. The past few seasons it hasn't been till the final, or semi-final that I've known, or been pretty sure, who the Mole was.

It's the only "reality" show I watch. It's also amusing seeing some of the more wholesome dutch celebrities becoming conining and manipulative to win the show.

To keep the secret, everyone working on the show has a clause in their contract that if they say who the mole is they get fined 250.000euro. The winner usually never gets above 20.000e to put in in perspective. So in the UK and US it would need to be +1mil to work imo.

Last edited:
It is not an original Dutch format tik, it is Belgian.
The fantastic "Woestijnvis" production house made that format in 1999. In Flanders we had 3 editions of "De Mol". In 2000 "De Mol" won the Golden Rose for television in Montreux (a sort of Oscars for European television). The format was exported to 16 other countries (ABC had 5 editions).
Woestijnvis is fantastic, but they always stop their successes pretty quick because they want people to have very good memories about their success stories. They always end on a high and not after 15 years when the original formula has worn out completely.
All the Belgian series i had in my top ten are from Woestijvis. Since you understand Dutch you should buy the DVD's of Het Eiland and Van Vlees en bloed. Both series are hilarious.

The latest series (very recent, not out on DVD) was "De Ronde". This series followed a string of people on the day of our most famous cyclism competition, De Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour de Flanders) of 2010. They integrated fictional persons into the real competition, for example the Miss who gave winner Cancellara his trophy, flowers and kiss was one of the fictional characters in the series...It's the best series i ever saw in our language...you should check it out, even if you don't like cyclism. Of course if you like cyclism like i do, it simply fantastic.

Guess I missed the boat then... Didn't start watching it till a few seasons ago (this year was it's 10th season in NL).

Thanks for the suggestions, although I have to admit I really can't stand Dutch (or Flemish) spoken (drama/comedy) series. I'm not sure what it is, but I can never get into them for some reason. Comedy especially I always find to be very poor from the Dutch. Not sure if it's their general sense of humour (although I really enjoy the caberatiers). I guess it's a combination that they don't have the budget to do really good comedy series, and that the Dutch language is pretty limited compared to English. You can make a huge amount of subtle wittty/sarcastic remarks in English by just adjusting the connotation of a word, Dutch doesn't doesn't have that richness to it, which I miss.

How can I always forget Rescue Me. I love this show.

And Justified !

Last edited:
Guess I missed the boat then... Didn't start watching it till a few seasons ago (this year was it's 10th season in NL).

Thanks for the suggestions, although I have to admit I really can't stand Dutch (or Flemish) spoken (drama/comedy) series. I'm not sure what it is, but I can never get into them for some reason. Comedy especially I always find to be very poor from the Dutch. Not sure if it's their general sense of humour (although I really enjoy the caberatiers). I guess it's a combination that they don't have the budget to do really good comedy series, and that the Dutch language is pretty limited compared to English. You can make a huge amount of subtle wittty/sarcastic remarks in English by just adjusting the connotation of a word, Dutch doesn't doesn't have that richness to it, which I miss.

I tend to agree with you tik. I also prefer English humour, but the ones i mentioned (Het eiland and Van Vlees en Bloed) are the exceptions.

Another great show in the Netherlands is Who Is The Mole? It isn't a drama show, but a celebrity "spy" show. I'm surprised it hasn't been re-created abroad. The premise of the show is that you have 10 contestants with one being undercover (The Mole). Every episode the contestants have 2 challenges that will win money for the pot. It's the Mole's job to sabotage the challenge without being found out. At the end of each show you have a test of 20 questions and whoever has the least correct anwsers gets sent home. Each season the show is set in a foreign country, they've had Japan, USA, Chile, etc.

The twist, and what makes the show work, is that because nobody knows who The Mole is, they start to also sabotage the challenges to make themselves look suspect, thereby confusing the other contestants and increasing their own chances. What happens is that the first couple of episodes people are reasonably friendly and open, but then the psycological warfare starts (in a nice way, people don't get vicious) with the contestants lying, manipulating and playing tricks to confuse each other. It's really amusing, but at the same time the viewer (and contestants) don't know who the Mole is. The past few seasons it hasn't been till the final, or semi-final that I've known, or been pretty sure, who the Mole was.

It's the only "reality" show I watch. It's also amusing seeing some of the more wholesome dutch celebrities becoming conining and manipulative to win the show.

To keep the secret, everyone working on the show has a clause in their contract that if they say who the mole is they get fined 250.000euro. The winner usually never gets above 20.000e to put in in perspective. So in the UK and US it would need to be +1mil to work imo.
It was on in the UK, I thought it was pretty good too, and I don't usually like those sorts of shows;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mole_(UK_TV_series)

In no particular order:

1. South Park
2. Arrested Development
3. Community
4. Da Ali G Show
5. Chappelle's Show
6. The Simpsons
7. American Dad
8. Futurama
9. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
10. Flight of the Conchords in its first season

I only watch stoner TV...

Top ten in no particular order...

- Friday Night Lights
- Lost
- Alias
- Everybody Loves Raymond
- The Sopranos
- The Shield
- Mad Men
- Breaking Bad
- The Closer

In the style of the other "Top 10 Movies" thread, use this one to list your favourite TV shows. This should help introduce people to new shows that they havn't watched yet :).

For me;

Supernatural
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Lost
Fringe
Chuck
Heroes (Season 1)

That's 8.

Well there's some things I've not fully watched or only early in their production so can't list like The Wire and Boardwalk Empire.

1. The Sopranos (by quite a distance)
2. Lost
3. X-Files
and in no particular order:-
Salem's Lot
V (the original)
Quantum Leap
Heroes
Pacific
Band of Brothers
The Simpsons

FD

I've not looked at Anytime + yet but one quick question...

I have to have Sky broadband? I get free broadband from my works and my telephone cannot be seen by Sky either (long story) so I take it I won't be able to get it??

Lost
Heroes
Scrubs
The Event
Smallville
X Files
Simpsons
V
Quantum Leap

plus MOTD (It's a series! Well it's on every week :) )

Ones that spring to mind and ones I've hardly missed an episode of.

Prison Break
Lost
Dexter
Fringe
Flash Forward
Person of Interest
The Event
Desperate Housewives
Mental
Heroes

The Walking Dead
White Collar
Game of Thrones
Lost
The Mentalist
Dexter
Supernatural
Terra Nova
Alcatraz
Heroes

From my list, The Wire would be pushing in there, not sure if it would get in there in the end. Still too early for Boarwalk Empire and Walknig Dead to get in.

However the one that get's in and is nip and tuck with The Sopranos for the top spot is Deadwood, that was just plain awesome. I guess it may have to settle for 2nd spot only due to it not lasting as long as Sopranos.

FD

Back
Top Bottom