The TV Thread

Nick Cave

Wrexham fan for my sins...
10 July 2004
Non football league waste land...
Wrexham AFC
Need to get a new TV guys and I'm torn between LCD and Plasma... checked all the shops n mags and it seems to me it all depends on what the salesmen prefer or the mag likes that month as to which is best.... I know the talk on plasma better for moving images and better black, more colours etc. I also know about the motion blur etc on LCD. Is it just me though or are all the pictures unless from a perfect HD source a little weak to say the least.... My mates got a 37 Panasonic plasma which he spent the best part of £3k on and to be honest the picture from DVD is not great.... and the ps2 image is worse!!! I'm thinking of plumping for an LCD around 40" any ideas guys anybody got a good large screen at home!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: LCD-PLASMA-DLP Help....

Pretty tough, you say your budget is £2k.
Plasma offers best picture quality usually.Have you got a family or are you the only one watching? I love with my family and so couldn't risk a plasma, because of the screen burn problem as we have kids channels with logos on all day sometimes, and that can cause screen burn, but don't get me wrong, if you get a plasma and you look after it, its fine. If I was alone, I would go for plasma.

Don't worry about magazines, AV mags are nkown to be shit/biased, they do what sponsors tell them to do.

What many people get problems from is the cabling, most people use the £2 cable, or the free cable with the PS2. I got an Ixos PS2 Component cable which can be seen here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11319&item=8256825515I use to use RGB Scart, and on LCD it wasnt very playable, moved to that cable and now I am back to being addicted to WE9.

What does your kit consist of? Xbox? PS2, Sky? DVD Player? etc

I would reccomend the Panasonic 42PX60 Well under £2k, so you can spend money getting SkyHD for World Cup, and getting good quality cables as I think that makes a huge difference in quality. Feel free to ask for help.

Must admit I use the RGB scart but have a CRT 32" at the moment so not sure i'd get a better pic from component on it, I Have sky but not HD, I'd hate to give them even more money than I do already and I'm thinking of going for Cable instead..Use xbox,DVD and PS2 on it at the moment and picture is fine but small. No kids just a Film watching better half so no problems there.... we have two TV's in other rooms so PS2 WE and PES nights are not interupted!! :)

The LCDs Iv'e seen have looked better picture quality than the Plasma's but I can't tell if it's just how they are set up......

Plasmas have a process were in the first 200 hours you should use low contrast and brightness, so to help not getting screen burn. After that you can put it to idea settings and it should look perfect.

Go over to www.avforums.com It's great. I would say go Plasma, they offer much better PQ and better blacks. The TV I have LCD Toshiba 42WLT58, is great the only gripe is the crappy blacks.

These are the ones I reccomend you look at if you go down Plasma route
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th42pd60ped/index.htm
http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/DMG/viewProduct_1.jsp?productid=516
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=11823&taxonomy_id=62-63
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=11144&taxonomy_id=62-63

Those are the best four plasmas.
Do you want me to list the best LCDs to look at as well?

BTW, do you use an amp and speaker system?

I would say forget either and get A Panasonic PTAE900 prejector for £1100

My room is only 12x12 and i still get a 100in picture. The quality is great as well and im only using S-Video and Component for my Sky+, Ps2 and DVD player.

Its HD ready as well so i cant wait to see what that looks like. The only downside is the room has to be pretty dark, the darker hte better really and the bulb only last 5000 hours.

small price to pay imo

Any luck? Also will you be wanting a wall mount version, pedestal or stand?

ashmufc thanks for the info.... :) I use a separates system so the sound side is not an issue will be looking for a good wall mount arm and tilt as long as it don't cost an arm and a leg the ones I've looked at run to about £300. I could get a better sound system for that!!!!
Have my doubts over plasma still and I'm leaning towards LCD but the blur is a real worry, it seems to me LCDS are getting better by the month!!

The Tosh 42WLT66 looks good but I think it's not out till the end of the month??

So you have your own sound system so you don't need a TV with speakers :)
I would defo go for the Panasonic panels: http://www.av-sales.com/Panasonic-TH42PHD8-33-16.htm
Basically the screen on its own, you thne buy the components for it, so your amp should have switching etc.
Or go for Panasonic PX60.
The Toshiba does look good, I own the previous model the 42WLT58 and was thinking to upgrade but 42WLT68 will come out in September with 3x HDMI slots, so maybe I can wait as I don't need many.

Best thing to do is go and demo the screens out in a shop. Have you got a good local independent? Try not to go COmet, Currys etc as they set everyhting up crap. What are your doubts with plasma, I think they have better picture quality and better blacks which really annoys me on my LCD.

The models to look for:
Panasonic 42PX60 - Plasma
Hitachi 42PD9700 - Plasma
Toshiba 42WLT66 - Plasma
Ther is also a new Sony 40" V series coming out in May, I will get the model number for you.

Good luck, get some hands on, always best to see them.

Personally the Panansonic wins it for me, the Hitachi has this dodgy pixel resolution, 1080x1024 or something, check up on the stats. All similiar priced :)

I can highly recommend the Panny PHD8 Nick, I bought one last week and it's amazing. Pisses all over my mates 37" LCD and it's not even setup properly yet. If you want a 42" screen then Plasma is way better for pq than lcd from all that I've seen. Then if you get a 42" plasma there is no better screen for picture quality than the PHD8. Check out the plasma forum on AV Forums site, it has great advice.

Just my advice cos I was like you looking for a good screen, listen to Ash too cos he knows what he's on about. But at the end of the day trust your eyes and go for the one you think looks the best ;)

ashmufc, can you reccommend any good speakers to buy for our new Samsung R73 series LCD? The sound quality is a bit tinny so I'm looking to invest in some new speakers. Cheap but decent I'm aiming at. And not surround sound.

MrCoopz said:
I would say forget either and get A Panasonic PTAE900 prejector for £1100

My room is only 12x12 and i still get a 100in picture. The quality is great as well and im only using S-Video and Component for my Sky+, Ps2 and DVD player.

Its HD ready as well so i cant wait to see what that looks like. The only downside is the room has to be pretty dark, the darker hte better really and the bulb only last 5000 hours.

small price to pay imo

you must have NO windows whatsover, so yeah if you have a very dark room, yoru right...

Not exactly no windows, the new PJs , esp DLP PHs have high lumens output.

Noted said:
ashmufc, can you reccommend any good speakers to buy for our new Samsung R73 series LCD? The sound quality is a bit tinny so I'm looking to invest in some new speakers. Cheap but decent I'm aiming at. And not surround sound.
Have you got an amp already?

ashmufc said:
Have you got an amp already?

No. I know nothing about TV speakers. What's an amp? Can I not just plug speakers into the headphone port on the TV or will that give me shit sound?

Yep, that will still give you shit sound, the TV speakers would be better.
How much are you looking to spend? And why not get full surround then you can enjoy Xbox360 and PS3 rpoperly as all games will be 5.1. What kind of budget you looking for?

Well its the wires that I'm worried about with 5.1. I'll have them going all across the floor. No real budget I just don't wanna spend loads. You have any reccommendations?

Well it's taken a while but the house is almost sorted so new TV next.... Been looking at Sonys bravia KDL40x2000... has a good refresh rate and full 1080 though I know this is not going to count for a few years.. just the stupid Sony price putting me off? been recommended to wait for the Sharp Aquos range in October... better and cheaper!!

Change your avatar!!!! LOL!

There is a Sony 55" A2000 SXRD Full 1080p, can be had for 2.3k, 5 year warranty and 18 months free credit. It is a rear projection, but it is new technology and it is really good! But 55" might be a bit big.

So you want 40"~ for sure? How far do you plan to sit from the TV again?
I'm saying I would rather get a 50" 1336x768 screen than a 1920x1080 40".

The Sony KDL-40W2000 will be out soon (October) and at a grand cheaper than the 40X. It got a great review in WHAT HI-FI? magazine, though I think I'll wait for people's opinion over at AV Forums.

It has mostly the same features as the X, it just looks different, has one less component input and uses a slightly different Bravia engine, or so I've read.

Last edited:

Will the W series have the same Bravia engine as V series?

Plasma all the way LOL!

What Hi-fi also mentioned that this Bravia (KDL-40W2000) is the first they've seen with contrast and blacks that are better than plasma (they preferred it to a Panasonic Viera plasma [TH-42PX600]). While that's only their opinion it's a sign that would make me go with a good LCD over plasma for convenience and, generally, cost.

yeah these people that have the same avatar for ages ashmufc..;)

Been told that the Bravia X is the one to get as it has a 6ms refresh rate and better blacks... The only thing putting me off plasma is every one I speak to tells me it's old tech now and uses more power and is still prone to burn, the only down side i could see to LCD was speed blur and blacks... now they are down to 6ms on screens up to 46" and as quoted above have good blacks, it's only Sonys stupid price tag that gets my goat!!

Hmm checked out Sharp 4ms response 42" 1080 and £1900

Last edited:

Mart said:
What Hi-fi also mentioned that this Bravia (KDL-40W2000) is the first they've seen with contrast and blacks that are better than plasma (they preferred it to a Panasonic Viera plasma [TH-42PX600]). While that's only their opinion it's a sign that would make me go with a good LCD over plasma for convenience and, generally, cost.
Noo... that's the one I have. But I think the majority of the people don't really take to waht the magazines say, because Sony is proably paying them :mrgreen:

yeah these people that have the same avatar for ages ashmufc..
I'm not saying it becasue you have had it for ages, I keep staring at it :shock: Distracts me from reading the thread.

Been told that the Bravia X is the one to get as it has a 6ms refresh rate and better blacks... The only thing putting me off plasma is every one I speak to tells me it's old tech now and uses more power and is still prone to burn, the only down side i could see to LCD was speed blur and blacks... now they are down to 6ms on screens up to 46" and as quoted above have good blacks, it's only Sonys stupid price tag that gets my goat!!

Hmm checked out Sharp 4ms response 42" 1080 and £1900
Prone to burn? Yes, but very unlikely. I've had a lot of marathons on my 360 and no burning. What happens is retention, like say you leave it on pause for like 1 hours, the wiriting will stay on the screen temporarily. I just switched channels, watched less then a minute, then went to a black screen and it was gone, so no biggy really. LCD blurring on panning shots is so annoying! I used to watch footy on my 42" LCD and I noticed it a lot, but my family didn't/didn't seem to bother them. The Sony is very pricey though, wheras the Panasonic 42PX600 is very cheap, even the 50PX600 can be had for a bit over 2k!

ashmufc said:
I'm not saying it becasue you have had it for ages, I keep staring at it :shock: Distracts me from reading the thread.

;) Thats why she stays....

ashmufc said:
Prone to burn? Yes, but very unlikely. I've had a lot of marathons on my 360 and no burning. What happens is retention, like say you leave it on pause for like 1 hours, the wiriting will stay on the screen temporarily. I just switched channels, watched less then a minute, then went to a black screen and it was gone, so no biggy really. LCD blurring on panning shots is so annoying! I used to watch footy on my 42" LCD and I noticed it a lot, but my family didn't/didn't seem to bother them. The Sony is very pricey though, wheras the Panasonic 42PX600 is very cheap, even the 50PX600 can be had for a bit over 2k!

My head has been turned by the Sharp 42XD1E, it's not out yet but the refresh rate of just 4ms will do away with the blur... The Sony is just crazy money compared to it and not as good on paper or in reviews... I've yet to throw my money at anybody yet but a top line 42" 1080..4ms response screen with two HDMI and scart sockets and they have some good jargon too like 8th generation glass... I'm a sucker for good jargon..;) and the price will be under £1400 already listed way cheaper than the £1500 rrp....

What the Sharp 1080p will be RRP of 1500? You sure, that is a it fishy. Especially since the Samsung 1080p is priced at 2k, and Samsung isn't anything special. As for refresh rates and contrast ratios, they are usually inflated so don't look into them too much, most of it is bs. As for the blurring, it is a gamble. You can't tell if there is blurring when demoing at the shops, its too hard to spot, so you might spot it when you get it home.

Are you reading about the Sharp on the AVForums?

Back
Top Bottom