Tottenham Thread

The main person to keep is Pochetino, without a doubt the best manager in the EPL at the moment. Apart from his decision to play Son as wing back in the semi.

Where have you read that? I know the rumour has been on for months but havent seen anything confirmed.

A City fan known to have links to the club (not some twitter nobhead) . First to reveal transfers and contracts before any media outlet. Even knew Delph had made a U-turn to his U-turn before anyone. Also first on the secretive Aguero contract extension

Might not happen, transfers can collapse of course, but when he has said a deal is done he has never been wrong before. Time will tell but I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't trust him.

I'll be happy enough with this signing, he's probably the best RB in the PL atm, defo in an attacking sense at least. Ideal world we'd have got Alves and an understudy (if not Maffeo) to learn from him, saving money in the process, but maybe we can put Delph out of his misery with Walker being English

City will pay 40 million for an injury prone player who barely can play two matches in one week.
Walker's biggest trump card is his psycality and that is the thing that will let him down. Selling him is extremely good business for Spurs.
There is no doubt that at the moment Walker is better than Trippier, but Spurs did the business with Trippier too. Walker played against both Crystal Palace and West Ham and he was awfull in both matches. Never retain a player who wants to go away.

I talked about Meunier because here in Belgium there is a rumour that Spurs are interested in him. Don't know if that is true. There are also persistent rumours that Conte is interested in Dries Mertens.

Talking about Belgian players, Spurs should buy Leander Dendoncker, he is great. Can play both DMF and CB and he is very young. Played every minute in the Jupiler League for Anderlecht and was outstanding against Man Utd.

Whether Walker stays or goes, I'm not bothered. He can be replaced plus KWP will get more minutes next season.

Overall a very good season, progress made in all areas now to go all out for the title next year and add more speed in the final third.

Walker has played 4700 mins in the PL the last 2 seasons, 33 apps each. I'll take that.

We desperately need pace at fullback. Through the middle of the pitch we play some exceptional football but it dies when the ball heads towards the FB positions. We're also susceptible to counters out there and concede too many pullbacks due to old, slow FBs.

Spurs might need to get a LB too in the summer. A player having surgery after already being out for months is never good news.
Also think Spurs need a wildcard in wide positions. Zaha wouldn't be a bad shout. Even Traore from Boro if he can be coached to improve his final ball/decisionmaking.

Spurs' biggest issue will be lack of WHL. Away form isn't very good and obviously Wembley hasn't been a good place for them. Will be interesting to see how they fair there early in the season. If they can start well at home it may be ok but if not it could take a while for them to get going.
Are they allowed to change the pitch dimensions? WHL's pitch is really small in comparison

As a Spurs fan, will it ever get better than the past season?
I'm afraid not.
Chelsea were champions and they deserved it, but imo Spurs were very, very impressive.
Best defense, best attack, least defeats, the golden boot for Kane and that with the youngest team.

We might not have won the title because our squad isn't good enough, the fringe players lack quality. And we got quite a lot injuries this season compared to last one: Lamela (he is underestimated imo), Kane twice, Alderweireld, Dembele and Vertonghen, Danny Rose and even Harry Winks...they all got injured.

Trippier, Davies, Vorm and Winks are very good substitutes, the rest are not good enough imo...Janssen might come good, i see something positive in him, his work rate, the fact that he is unselfish (Kane can learn from him).

And the future...to be honest i'm not so optimistic.
I think this transfer window Walker might well be the only player who will leave the club and he was Always the player i liked least (although he was really good the last two seasons). I hope he goes to Manchester City who will pay way too much for him...

Will we attract good players?

I'm not so sure. IMO we probably have the best starting eleven in the EPL. Will there be a transfer prospect that thinks that he stands a chance to become a starter in that team unless he is a star (and Spurs don't have the money to buy stars)? I don't think so, unless he is a right back (and i really like Trippier).

Players like Alli and Kane can earn three or four times more when they go to clubs like Chelsea and both Manchester clubs, so i nthe lang term they will leave (i hope they leave for foreign clubs, but i don't see Kane be a success outside of England, Alli will be if he learns to control his agression). I heard on a podcast that even a player like Zaha snubbed Spurs because he earns more with Palace than with Spurs...that is astonishing (and i'm not implying that Levy is wrong, in fact Levy is doing a great job).

And most importantly, what about Pocchetino. Will he stay? Will we see him in the new stadium? I really hope so, because he is the key to the success of this team. He has a knack of making players better...

Also hope we can see Marcus Edwards next season. He seems to be a very promising youngster and Pocchetino even said that at his age he is as good as Messi was at the same age. I don't think we should take that literally, but a man like Pocchetino would not say this if hedoesn't see something great in a kid like that?

The worst case scenario is that Spurs will continue their bad streak at Wembley...and that next season will be a setback. As for now i would settle for a fourth place or even a sixth place with the FA Cup or even the League Cup...

I don't see us doing better than this season to be honest.

We played some great football.

Finally, the player i enjoyed most this season: Son! He has tremendous work rate and great ability!

Thanks for a wonderfull season.

PS: and i really don't care that we ended before Arsenal...

Excellent season, I do believe things can get even better and that we can win the league. The mentality has improved greatly under Poch and I'm excited by this team.

I do hope he takes the Champions League more seriously next season and gives KWP, GKN, Onomah, CCV and Edwards more minutes.

Until now i haven't been particularly impressed by Onomah, don't understand they sold Caroll and not Onomah, but Pocch is good in those things so i suppose i'm wrong.

Poch prefers Winks to Carroll even though i think Carroll is also excellent.

I'm agree with Tobi and i am very optimistic as long as Poch is our manager. I truly believe in the saying "if it aint broke dont fix it". Our young team can only get better.

I dont see Kane leaving as he is Tottenham through and through. Ali i dont see leaving in the near future but then we have the impressive Winks to step up which he has done. I love the fact that Poch plays and trusts the young guys unlike the big teams like Chelsea, sell Lukaku, buy him back. Man united sell Pogba buy him back.

He seriously is the best manager in the Prem. Put Konte, Mourinho, Guardiola in charge if Spurs and they would not finish where they have. But put him in charge of any team and i belive they would improve.

I also think that we should stop thinking negatively about Wembley. Its just the press bringing out stats from previous Spurs teams that have nothing to do with the current team. Admittedly we played pretty poor in some of the european games but against Chelsea in the semi we played better for the majority until they brought on Hazard and Costa. But thats the joys of having a rich club.

I personally think we have a great chance next year with Chelsea playing extra games. Personally i dont fear the other big teams at all. :)

Chelsea and both Manchester teams will spend a huge amount of money.
They might lure some of Spurs' best players away: Walker will certainly leave, Alderweireld still hasn't signed a new contract and Man Utd are after Dier.
I don't mind Walker leaving but both Dier and Alderweireld would be a disaster.

I'm very pessimistic about Wembley based upon what i sawin the CL and (even more) against Gent. Gent were in the middle of a very bad patch and they played a B-team against Spurs (perhaps even a C-team).You can't imagine how people here in Belgium have laughed with that elimination.

In the next round Gent played Genk with their best team and lost 2-5 at home...the match at Wembley imo was a total disaster...and this by (almost) the best team...

But perhaps i'm way too pessimistic...

The worst case scenario would be a bad season next year and then Pocch and important players leaving...

Oh and by the way Dembele has to have surgery on his foot, that is the reason why he scarcely played the last weeks.

Thankfully the team can function without Dembele now.

Rose is excellent and I feel his aggression has been missed a lot but the team won many games without him.

Alderweireld took a while to get going when he returned from injury but again, the team didn't suffer. Also Vertonghen had a better season.

Kane missed eight games but the team got by.

Key players are missed but not to the extent that everything crumbles.

The other teams have to spend lots of money because they need lots of repairing. Whatever happens, Pochettino has transformed this club and what the others do is irrelevant.

Also delighted. In all honesty, we were a litle bit Lucky with the first (off-side Trippier, but what a match he played) and the second goal (deviation), but it's hardly believable that Spurs can win against Real Madrid...and yes Pocch is top.

Also delighted. In all honesty, we were a litle bit Lucky with the first (off-side Trippier, but what a match he played) and the second goal (deviation), but it's hardly believable that Spurs can win against Real Madrid...and yes Pocch is top.

Yes you are right gerd we were lucky with the first goal but it is nice that we get some for a change.

The main thing is mentally we are getting there now. Before we would have crumbled with some of the pressure but now we defend resiliently.

I love the way that Poch puts trust in the young ones unlike other managers that loan them out all the time. And his coaching and man management is excellent. The fact that he is also getting the best out of Sissoko too is excellent. He is like a new player.

Great result Geeee well deserved . .they set up a Spurs thread just for you . ..you're well connected mate lol.

Heh heh i thought i had better post as it has been empty for a while.

He is like a new player.

Yes, A championship player at best. He has one of the worst first touches of a footballer I have ever seen.

As it was so early in the game and losing Toby, I can understand why he was brought on, but I was pretty disappointed, because I was hoping Son would come on for the last half an hour. With his pace he would have ripped that Madrid back line to shreds, the way they played.

Needs to win something.

I don't agree with that, there are other criteria to determine if a coach/manager is top.
With the current wage bill, Spurs will never win anything.

Rankings in football are determined by the the total wages of a club. Spurs have currently the sixth wage bill/total/budget of the EPL. They are massively overachieving under Pocch.

What Spurs paid for the current squad is a litle bit more than 25% of the cost of City's squad (407 million for City, 110 million for Spurs).

Guardiola has won lots more than Pocch, but with the amount of money spent on the squads of Barcelona, Bayern and City, he should have won everything with those clubs...compare him to Heynckes in his last Bayern season for example??? Heynckes won the treble, Guardiola not...so by your own standards Heynckes is a much better manager than Guardiola. To be fair i don't think so...

IMO Guardiola is among the very best in the world, but so is Pocch (i'm not sure if he's a master tactician, but he improves players massively...).

Anyway, in a sense it's not about managers or coaches, it's about teams (imo the English press, pundits and fans are obsessed with managers).

City is definitely a much beter team than Spurs, but with Spurs' budget, they are the biggest overachievers in the EPL under Pocchetino.

I don't agree with that, there are other criteria to determine if a coach/manager is top.

Rankings in football are determined by the the total wages of a club. Spurs have currently the sixth wage bill/total/budget of the EPL. They are massively overachieving under Pocch.

What Spurs paid for the current squad is a litle bit more than 25% of the cost of City's squad (407 million for City, 110 million for Spurs).

Guardiola has won lots more than Pocch, but with the amount of money spent on the squads of Barcelona, Bayern and City, he should have won everything with those clubs...compare him to Heynckes in his last Bayern season for example??? Heynckes won the treble, Guardiola not...so by your own standards Heynckes is a much better manager than Guardiola. To be fair i don't think so...

IMO Guardiola is among the very best in the world, but so is Pocch (i'm not sure if he's a master tactician, but he improves players massively...).

Anyway, in a sense it's not about managers or coaches, it's about teams (imo the English press, pundits and fans are obsessed with managers).

City is definitely a much beter team than Spurs, but with Spurs' budget, they are the biggest overachievers in the EPL under Pocchetino.

Thanks for replying to that gerd, i could not have put it better myself.

It’s strange because i would definitely rate Poch above Ranieri and yet he ‘won something’ with Leicester.

The way Poch trains and improves players is something i have not seen since Sir Alex.

I'm proud of this team and I'm looking forward to Lamela's return.

Poch is a top quality coach, I was bigging him up for the Utd job over Mourinho, but to be described as the best you need the silverware to back that up.
Should Spurs win the PL over City/Utd/Chelsea? no but arguments about money are undermined somewhat when Leicester won the title over Poch's Spurs.
When determining who the best coaches are trophies are necessary but not sufficient, imo. That's why I wouldn't say Ranieri/Heynckes are better than Poch/Pep.
English press etc. are obsessed with managers, I agree, but not in a football sense, they don't put nearly enough emphasis on coaches in that respect, they like the drama and cult of personality.

Also, you have to be sceptical of someone who believes this lol:
"On his desk is a tray of lemons because he has read that they absorb negative energy."
:ROLL:

Last edited:
Is that lemon piece from Balague's book about Pocch?
I have that book, but still have to read it.

Spurs missed a unique opportunity the season Leicester won it and that was because they made mistakes (West Ham United) but also because other clubs preferred Liecester to win it over Spurs (Chelsea and virtually every other club and fan in the world, if it wouldn't have been Spurs i would have wanted Leicester to win it too, it was a fairy tale, except for Spurs fans...that season sums up what being a Spurs fan is).

The money argument still stands despite Leicester...that year every big team fucked up and Leicester were phenomenal...that is an even bigger fluke than when Blackburn Rovers won it or when Liverpool won the CL against Milan...But of course Leicester deserved that.

And about Spurs, personally i think it will never get any better than last season...this year i would be over the moon with a top 4 finish and a decent CL performance (and we already have that, something tells me that in the next round we will face a very good team, we could win our group and then face Bayern Munich or loose both temaining matches and face PSG or Juventus...).

I would like us to win the FA Cup, but Pocch doesn't prioritise that one...

Yea the lemons thing is from the book. He also leaves his car engine on for 10 minutes or something. Seems a very superstitious person. Not sure how his methods would go down with a squad like Real Madrid's - a job he's been linked with, inevitably - he's better off at Spurs, his Big Brother-esque approach probably requires working with young players rather than established stars
I think you will finish above Utd and fancy you to do very well in the CL. Form can change but I don't think you should be fearful of facing anyone in Rd16. Mustn't get injuries to key players tho. We saw how Kane was missed against Utd. If he was fit I'm pretty sure you'd have won.

Yep as gerd said everyone wanted Leicester to win that title. The fact that they always played before us too showed that fact. Always putting the pressure on us. It was not as if we were both in a cup. The tv companies should have mixed it up a bit.

Everyone (including tv pundits) talk about winning the league cup is such big thing. What? Really?...

Will that make Poch a legend? Lol

Back
Top Bottom