The Mobile Phone thread

Rock_dove_-_natures_pics.jpg

Try this.

That is a nice looking Pigeon.

lumia-925.jpg

will be getting this next month

does everything i hated about my 920 better => size, weight, camera software.

hell yes - kind of annoying everybody around me with it ;)

but i love checking out new stuff...:) plus it's fairly easy if you get rid of your old phone, buy a new one, make some loss, sometimes not (selling an iphone always is fun and you have money left over...;D )

It was a mistake to to get my mother an htc sensation XE 2 months a go :P

Now it's just replaced by lumia 720 white which is more user friendly interface, taking photo n videos better and superb quality.. and easier to learn

We even skipped any samsung androids offering at the local store, nothing impressed her until she looked at lumia 720.. Great phone for its current price.. :BOP:

I plan to get one for missus later.

Last edited:
What do you think of the Galaxy Note II? Quadcore, 2 GB RAM, 5,5 inches screen, a strong battery.

I thought maybe it would be too big, but getting my hands on it in a local store and I could feel I grew more accustomed to it within minutes and I can imagine that using it for a few days, it probably wouldn't be an issue at all anymore.

Let us know what you think.

I'd be interested to hear if other note 2 owners are as happy with it as I am

received my lumia 925.

big improvement over the 920 for sure. the reduced weight is massive, it finally feels like a proper phone, a quality one, with metal, instead of a plastic brick that slides out of your hand (the matte white backside is so much nicer than the gloss white 920 one i had...)

windows phone 8 made a lot of improvements i think...whatsapp support is good, a lot of useful features, i like the glance feature with double-tap to wake up, pretty neat.

nokia software is very good, nokia smart cam is a helpful addition, so is the creative center (or what is it called?) - very easy to edit pictures and get good results. camera itself is by far the best phone-cam i ever had, night performance is very good. guess it will be blown out of the water by the lumia eos, but that one is going to be plastic-y again + a lot thicker than the 925.

very happy so far, let's see for how long, haha ;)

Finally bought the Galaxy Note II. My opinion after three days of use: It's a dream!

5,5" is not too big, who would've thought? Sure, using one hand to operate it is not very comfortable, but it's doable, but the phone really shines when using two hands.

The big screen is a major plus for surfing, watching videos/photos, playing games. It's truly awesome, and it fits in all of my pockets.

After two days of use I grew so accustomed to the size that anything smaller seems just wrong for me.

The AMOLED screen has imho great colours and deep blacks. the only downside is that when used in broad daylight outside when the sun is shining, the screen seems dull and I need to crank up brightness to max to be useable in those circumstances, but otherwise it's just great.

The camera is also of great quality, it is unbelievably fast, I just put my finger on shoot and within seconds a dozen photos get shot like a machinegun. And the quality is really good, nice colours, details and sharpness. I use without any flash, and even at night in little lit rooms the photos are ok, and in daylight it is brilliant.

Of course with a quad-core and 2 GB RAM, the phone is as fast as it can get. But I use it with reduced CPU-power (2 cores) to save energy.

The battery seems to be good, too. It has 3100 mah and it shows, after 2,5 days it still is on 20%. The best, when leaving it alone for the night, it only uses up 1% during the night.

I would say when using it moderately I can get 3-4 days out of it, when using it seldomly (ie. like a normal phone) it would get to 5 days.

Haven't yet used the pen.

Verdict: Great size, good screen with great colours when used indoors, great, fast camera, fluid UI, responsiveness, impressive battery-life. It's my first smartphone and I'm very happy with it so far.

Last edited:
An update on the Galax note II: Battery lasts now even longer, 5 whole days when I learned that letting it charge up for more than three hours really adds a whole day of battery life. Before I just let it charge up for 2 hours.

Great phone, great battery, great camera, great music-playback, awesome screen. Only drawback is that in sunlight the screen seems dull and I need to crank up the brightness to max to see anything on it. Otherwise it's simply great. Love it!

I think a lot of people on iPhone underestimate how nice it is to have a larger screen. After moving to Nexus 4, when I hold an iPhone I find it too difficult to browse or type. I'm not saying iPhones are bad, I just think the 'screen is too big' excuse isn't a real excuse anymore.

For my personal taste a 4.5" screen is the biggest screen I would like to have on my mobile phone. I like the S4 as well, but it's too big for me.
I don't want a "mini-tablet" as mobile phone. It is just personal taste. ;)

Ironically I do want a mini-tablet as mobile phone!

Just ordered the HDMI out connector and a bluetooth keyboard/stand, the wife is going to trial using it instead of a laptop so if it meets her needs she'll be getting one for herself as well instead of a laptop :)

For my personal taste a 4.5" screen is the biggest screen I would like to have on my mobile phone. I like the S4 as well, but it's too big for me.
I don't want a "mini-tablet" as mobile phone. It is just personal taste. ;)

Trust me, there is no too big for a smartphone as long as it fits into the trouser-pockets. 5,5" on my note 2 are just a joy to use, to browse, to look at it...

Before that I didn't even have a smartphone, just a nokia-6300-phone with a 2" screen and it took me about two days to grow accustomed to the 5,5" and now anything less feels just wrong and limiting to me.

Sure operating it with just one hand is not as comfortable as on a 3,5"-screen, but using two hands feels just right and more comfortable any way.

And the best: My note 2 with 5,5" screen lasts for four days with good use until I need to recharge.

Last edited:
it's funny how only a few years ago, mobile phone companies challenged each other to make the smallest phone (that scene in Zoolander is hilarious and sums it up perfectly)...but now it seems to be a full reversal as we go back to the days of the massive XDA phones from O2

it's funny how only a few years ago, mobile phone companies challenged each other to make the smallest phone (that scene in Zoolander is hilarious and sums it up perfectly)...but now it seems to be a full reversal as we go back to the days of the massive XDA phones from O2

Funny indeed, but makes completely sense, though. Now the phones aren't just phones anymore, they are little portable computers, with built in video/photo-cameras and mp3-players.

So for such a multimedia-gadget, size is only limited by how much can fit comfortably in the trouser pocket, anything else is imho secondary.

Ok, I haven't written much regarding music-playback on my Note 2 yet, so:

Using the standard-samsung-player I only get mediocre if not bad soundquality, using the Google-play-music-player it's imho considerably better but still not really good. The best result so far I got with poweramp (which costs about 3€). What makes it great are the many setting-possibles through tone- and equaliser-setting.

Using the standardsettings, poweramp sounds even worse than the Google-music-player, but once I took the time to really fiddle with the equaliser and other settings, and find my very own custom-settings (none of the presaved equaliser-settings are good), I could really bring the soundquality to a whole new level, that puts the Google-player to shame.

I use it either with the inbuilt-speakers, or with the recently bought Koss Porta pro headphones. Sure these are not really hifi, but they are nice enough for this purpose. Real hifi-headphones would need a preamp.. and cost way more.

The other thing I'm fond of on my smartphone is the free calc-app "handy calc". It does nearly everything a graphic calculator can do, it can solve equations, draw graphs... and it's intutive to use. The only things it can't yet is doing differential- and integration-calculations.

Awesome app!

And for gaming I bought the android-app of my favourite game back in the days: "Carmageddon"! It looks better than ever on android and has great controls, and it plays just nice on the 5,5"-screen of my Note II, like a handheld game console. It only seems a bit easier than I remember it from when I played it on mac.

Back
Top Bottom