The Books Thread

7 August 2004
Liverpool
So anyone reading The Lost Symbol? Do people on this forum read?

Just under halfway myself, not sure about it though. Really enjoyed Da Vinci and A&D but this seems to be very much following a formula and going through the motions. Also how f#$king often do we have to read that the guy has clausterfobia! WE.GET.IT!

Just started reading it, only a few chapters in. Work colleagues have told me it's a good book but it could do without the last few chapters as they just talk about history and a bit pointless.

I'm reading a book called 'The Patriots' which talks about an experience in the Vietnam War. Really good book, which is helping with my school course as well for History.

I find War films/books really interesting.

The Wife and I read a lot of Ebooks on our PDAs, I also listen to audiobooks a lot when I'm doing my household chores and such :) Currently listening to Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay (the 3rd Dexter book) and currently reading Break No Bones which is the 9th Temperance
Brennan (ie "Bones") book by Kathy Reichs :)

Ive got that lying around aswell, although I can never remember which one Ive read as the back intro/highlights always seem to be the same. :D

Got the Millenium trilogy waiting aswell.

I've read the two first books of the millenium trilogy...great.

tiktik... a book that would like given tour profession: Jane Jacobs: The dead and life of great American Cites. A book from ...1961 and the best book i've ever read on urban development.
I'm reading the Dutch translation which is just out (Dood en leven van grote Amerikaanse steden). This book is still very, very relavant. I'm reading this professionally, but it's a good read....

Haven't read a book since Dracula, which I read this summer. Been swarmed with uni work and reading so I don't have enough leisure time to read lately. Some of the recent books I read are Dracula and Gateway (1, 2 and 3). Gateway, to me, is one of the best books I've ever read. I'm a huge fan of SciFi.

Finished the first millenium one, about 130pages into the second.

They are good books, but somewhat slow and strangely balanced imo. I mean the first one took about 300 pages to get "started" and then it was quickly over with another 150 or so pages about another part of the story.

Finished the 12th Kathy Reich's book last night 206 Bones, read them all one after the other over the last couple of weeks, definitely improves as she goes on, quite different from the Bones TV Show bust still worth reading, next will probably be Undone by Karin Slaughter, then maybe Blood's a Rover by James Elroy, need to find it in Ebook form though.

a savage war of peace:the french in Algeria(about the french colonialism in Algeria), the girl in the picture(the girl who got bombend by the south veitnames army with naplam and that picture of her screaming running down the road), a bright shinning lie(america in vietnam) an amazing book, a death in brazil(cool book that sort of gives you a brief history of brazil) i only read history and non-fiction books now days, fiction bores the shit out of me for some reason...

I 've also read a brigth shining light...that was a great book,'ve read it about 15 years ago...it's about a colonel in Vietnam and something in is past is wrong...don't remeber well, butboy that was a good one. Must reread it one of these days...

Finished Millenium. Really good read, especially the 2nd and 3rd. The first set's it up nicely in the end so in hindsight it's worth the "slowness".

Books I've read in the last couple of weeks:

Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson
I, Alex Cross by James Patterson
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Step on a Crack by James Patterson
61 Hours (Jack Reacher book 14) by Lee Child

Currently reading Run for Your Life by James Patterson

I read quite fast :)

I read that the other week. I do like a Patterson book, just ordered 8th Confession now it's in paperback as I'm not a fan of hardback books...

Currently reading Paradise City by Lorenzo Carcaterra. Loved one of his previous ones - Gangster (one of my all time favourites), but he's probably more known for both Chasers, & Sleepers.

If you like psych thrillers I recommend No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay. :))

The_Very_Hungry_Caterpillar_Book.jpg

Just finished reading this. Really enjoyable. Not sure if the author is planning a sequel but I really think he should do one.

He has made plenty of sequels jumbo...when my kids were very young they loved these books...i'mvery happy my daughter is also an avid reader.

Currently i'm reading a non fiction book about the civil war in the republic of Congo...horrible.

im reading a book called cornflakes with john lennon and the search for the red prince(pro israel book about hunting terrorist)

I read that the other week. I do like a Patterson book, just ordered 8th Confession now it's in paperback as I'm not a fan of hardback books...

I haven't read any of The Women's Murder club series, sounds ludicrously sexist but I prefer books where the lead characters are male, although I do like the Kathy Reichs books and the Karin Slaughter series (which features a number of main female characters) so I really should give them a try :)

If you like psych thrillers I recommend No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay. :))

Thanks I shall grab his books and add them to my PDA :)

Now that I've finished the third Michael Bennett book I was a little stuck as to what to move to next, I am a big fan of series' of books with recurring characters, particularly enjoyed the Reacher series by Lee Child, the Cole & Pike series by Robert Crais and of course the Alex Cross series by James Patterson, so was hoping to find another new series to get started on, plumped for Harlan Coben's series about Myron Bolitar the sports agent turned PI.

Books I've read in the last couple of weeks:

Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson
I, Alex Cross by James Patterson
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Step on a Crack by James Patterson
61 Hours (Jack Reacher book 14) by Lee Child

I read quite fast :)

We should start calling you Johnny 5

Oh, i've forgotten one of the best.
Well, maybe the best series...
Michael Dibdin and his series about Aurelio Zen (in Italy).
Dibdin sadly died in 2008 or 2009, but his series around Italian inspector Zen are among the best books i've ever read. Zen is not the archetypical "hero"...sometimes he can be a coward and he lets himself dominate by the women around him: his mother, his mistresses,...
This series gives a very accurate picture of Italy, the country, the people and the society. Very, very good books.

I know its not really a story book, but I've started reading "The Elements of Pantheism" by Paul Harrison.

I'm very interested in this 'religion' or 'philosophy'... I feel that I have a lot in common with it. People such as Margaret Atwood and Einstein were believers of this ideology.

I very much advise you to read the series "Song of ice and fire" by George R.R. Martin. The best fantasy books I've read, and I had never read one before! (I hated fantasy books, until I discovered this).

It's not the usual fantasy story at all. In fact, people describe it very well as "The Sopranos in the middle earth". And one book with hundreds of secrets hidden, you can read again previous passages to find connections that the author doesn't highlight at all. It's a great read.

The first book in the series is "Game of thrones" and is one of the best fiction books I've read with GREAT characters (this man can create cool characters out of thin air, hundreds of them, in fact), lots of realism with tiny drops of magic (or something like it) and with very short chapters (about 20 pages for chapter) and a different POV for each chapter. Oh, did I mention the books are about 800 pages each and the series is meant to finish in the 7th book? Currently, 4 are published and the 5th is meant to be published soon.

HBO has already started a new TV series that will cover the first book in 10 episodes, and they want it to be a high quality series (like Rome, Sopranos, The wire, Deadwood, etc...) but I advise you to read the books first, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

PS: It is available as an audio book, but it's not the kind of book to be heard in my oppinion. In my ipod I tend to carry short stories and light, short novels, while this is a dense story and sometimes you would want to backtrack a little.

Last edited:
Has anyone read "The Lost City of Z"? I keep seeing it at Borders and since I'm taking a History of Brazil class at my university it makes me interested in picking it up.

Back
Top Bottom