Sony PlayStation 4 PRO

I think it's a gimmick too. Too much hassle and faffing around. Sitting comfortably in a nice chair in front of a nice TV with a controller in my hand is all I need.

Not this palava...:LOL:
maxresdefault.jpg

After trying the PSVR I thought it gave me the same impression as a Wii..

Fantastic for 20 minutes, playing Driveclub and going that's cool - being able to look around the car and everything.. Thinking this would be amazing right now if I had a wheel.

Kitchen (The Resident Evil game) was pretty cool but for the 2 minutes it lasted, but this massively showed for me that the technology really isn't there to make VR really possible at the moment.. The graphics on Kitchen looked PS2ish and made me think graphics need to massively improve in VR.

Also played some gun game where was shooting targets and Battle Tanks - then was about an hour into trying it and was completely bored of it.. It was to me a lot like 3D gaming, I paid £400 for a 3D gaming monitor years ago and thought this is kl when I initially tried it and have not turned on the 3D feature on my monitor since the first month I bought it.

I think VR in gaming could potentially still be the future but the technology behind it needs to massively improve before it becomes what I would call useable.

I also got pretty motion sick in Drive Club.

Last edited:
VR will go the same way as 3D. Initially people will rush out to buy it but then they will realise its just a novelty that doesn't really add much to the experience.

Also with PSVR... its just cables everywhere from this external processing box....

How is the input lag when using HDR? I read somewhere that on some tv's HDR is not working in game mode.
Would be a shame to have that option but not being able to use it because of input lag.

How is the input lag when using HDR? I read somewhere that on some tv's HDR is not working in game mode.
Would be a shame to have that option but not being able to use it because of input lag.

you have to enable to HDMI slot (on mine its called full deep colour) for it to work.

Depends entirely on the TV. There's nothing Sony can do here.

Before I bought mine, I was in the middle of doing some research, and a website called Rtings.com alerted me to the fact that TVs have different response times dependent on the mode - whether that's 4:4:4 chroma, HDR, 50hz, 60hz or whatever.

So when you see a review of a TV and it states the response time, that's just one response time for one resolution, refresh rate, chroma, etc. etc. etc.

Here's an example of their input lag measurement for a Samsung KS8500:

INGgVVk.jpg

(The only important figures here are all the 4K ones, because the PS4 Pro upscales and outputs everything in 4K.)

So even with "game mode" enabled, there is a significant difference in response time depending on the input...

With this TV, HDR doesn't increase input lag, BUT... 4:4:4 chroma does. So if you want to lower response time with that TV, you're better off setting the PS4 Pro to be in 2180p YUV mode - you'll miss out on 4:4:4 chroma, but you'll get a lightning response time. If you find 30ms+ is too laggy for you.

This is one example, out of hundreds of 4K TVs...

If you haven't bought a TV yet, but you've got one in mind, try and find all of these figures for all of the modes first.

Either way, Sony can't magically make this TV have faster response rates, and the same applies for those TVs where enabling HDR totally screws the response times.

Last edited:
Depends entirely on the TV. There's nothing Sony can do here.

Before I bought mine, I was in the middle of doing some research, and a website called Rtings.com alerted me to the fact that TVs have different response times dependent on the mode - whether that's 4:4:4 chroma, HDR, 50hz, 60hz or whatever.

So when you see a review of a TV and it states the response time, that's just one response time for one resolution, refresh rate, chroma, etc. etc. etc.

Here's an example of their input lag measurement for a Samsung KS8500:

INGgVVk.jpg

(The only important figures here are all the 4K ones, because the PS4 Pro upscales and outputs everything in 4K.)

So even with "game mode" enabled, there is a significant difference in response time depending on the input...

With this TV, HDR doesn't increase input lag, BUT... 4:4:4 chroma does. So if you want to lower response time with that TV, you're better off setting the PS4 Pro to be in 2180p YUV mode - you'll miss out on 4:4:4 chroma, but you'll get a lightning response time. If you find 30ms+ is too laggy for you.

This is one example, out of hundreds of 4K TVs...

If you haven't bought a TV yet, but you've got one in mind, try and find all of these figures for all of the modes first.

Either way, Sony can't magically make this TV have faster response rates, and the same applies for those TVs where enabling HDR totally screws the response times.

Thanks for the detailed reply Chris! I want to buy a new tv. I now have a 55inch full hd Samsung tv which i love.
All this 4k HDR stuff has got me excited.
Since i'm happy with Samsung i'd go for that Quantum dot 8000 series (don't like curved so no 9000 series for me) but i'm not sure that this quantum dot will be the standard for the coming years.
Reading a lot about OLED which is supposed to be better but also more expensive. Samsung is not going in that direction.
Oled has shorter lifespan and i understand they currently have a lot of unhappy customers because the input lag for gaming is huge.

So, on the one hand i want to buy one now, on the other i think i should wait a bit more to see the developments.
I know Sony can't help this but as mentioned by others it is becoming quite confusing.
I would hate to have the pro and the tv, only to find out that i cannot get the max out of it because i bought the wrong tv.

I caved in and bought a 55" Sony LED 4K TV on the weekend. It looks fantastic with the PS4 Pro and I have left all the settings to Automatic and not messed with them as I don't know what I am doing. The only thing I have done with my TV is enable some HDMI setting for the PS4 and now the PS4 recognizes that my TV can do 2K and 4K if that makes any sense?

Thanks for the detailed reply Chris! I want to buy a new tv. I now have a 55inch full hd Samsung tv which i love.
All this 4k HDR stuff has got me excited.
Since i'm happy with Samsung i'd go for that Quantum dot 8000 series (don't like curved so no 9000 series for me) but i'm not sure that this quantum dot will be the standard for the coming years.
Reading a lot about OLED which is supposed to be better but also more expensive. Samsung is not going in that direction.
Oled has shorter lifespan and i understand they currently have a lot of unhappy customers because the input lag for gaming is huge.

So, on the one hand i want to buy one now, on the other i think i should wait a bit more to see the developments.
I know Sony can't help this but as mentioned by others it is becoming quite confusing.
I would hate to have the pro and the tv, only to find out that i cannot get the max out of it because i bought the wrong tv.

This is what I have.

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-oled55e...gclid=COLki_qpstACFXAo0woddKsDiA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its everything you need........and more. Best 4K TV range on the market at the moment.

No TV is perfect - if you think PES v FIFA is fucking annoying, let's not get started on TVs... This one has motion blur, that one has input lag, the other doesn't have HDR, another doesn't have a great contrast ratio...

Even if you drop £4,000-£5,000 on a TV, there will be another one that does something better than that one. Trust me - I have been through four TVs in the last four months (mostly because of technical faults) - I can even point you to all my questions and struggles on AVForums...

I had a Samsung JS9000 that I got for less than £1,000, but there was a Game Mode bug where red lines flickered across the screen all the time. So I got a Samsung KS8000 for about £1,500, and the quality was a step backwards (motion wasn't as good). I had an LG very briefly, which was bright and (too) colourful but the motion wasn't great, nor the input lag.

Eventually, after giving up on trying to get a bargain, I went for the TV that HDTVtest seems to rate highest, the Panasonic DX902b, and in my opinion, it's the best on average. It's got 512 LEDs in a honeycomb structure to avoid backlight issues (most use "stripes" of lights, which you can see), motion is decent (not perfect), upscaling is good, response times are average (~30ms).

Spending £2,000 for something that is the best on average is fucking insane, but, we live in insane times, and having tried all those other TVs, I'm happy.

(P.S. - The first DX902b I got switched itself off randomly and had to go back.)

Last edited:
You can spend £1000s on a TV but if you don't get it professionally calibrated it will never look right or perform as it should.
Well worth the £250-300 if you've spent £1000s on a TV

Best tv I ever had a was a small colour Sony CRT set my mum bought for me in 1980s. I was the only kid on our street to have a tv in his bedroom (it was unheard of back then!) and I thought I was the dogs nuts.

It lasted me decades. I first hooked up an Atari 2600 to it, then later a ZX Speccy and Nintendo Entertainment System. Then an Amiga. I think even the SNES was played on it.

Good times.

Best tv I ever had a was a small colour Sony CRT set my mum bought for me in 1980s. I was the only kid on our street to have a tv in his bedroom (it was unheard of back then!) and I thought I was the dogs nuts.

It lasted me decades. I first hooked up an Atari 2600 to it, then later a ZX Speccy and Nintendo Entertainment System. Then an Amiga. I think even the SNES was played on it.

Good times.
CRTs are always better.

LCD monitors screw up non native res by stupid linear filtering. Even if the resolution is factor of native res.
Nearest neighbor scaling does look somewhat distorted if it's not a multiple of its native res, but it still looks clearer and better than linear filter blurry mess.

CRTs are always better.

LCD monitors screw up non native res by stupid linear filtering. Even if the resolution is factor of native res.
Nearest neighbor scaling does look somewhat distorted if it's not a multiple of its native res, but it still looks clearer and better than linear filter blurry mess.
Motion blur is always an issue too... especially on LED TV's although my new 4K Bravia seems to cope with it a lot better than a couple of sets I tried last year!

I have now tried the PS4 Pro for a couple of hours but mainly with FIFA..

My first impressions are that so far:-
Last of Us looks slightly better on the Pro than it does on the normal PS4 - the colours look slightly better than they do on the normal PS4 and appears to have slightly better AA.
FIFA 17 - Appears to have a better frame rate than the normal PS4 version as there is no slowdown when there is alot of players on screen.. However graphically it may have some improvements but does not have the high res PC player models.

The main game I want to try though is Tomb Raider, but will not purchase till it is cheaper as already played and completed.

Other issues:-
Quite noisy, not as bad as the original PS4 but has been very noticable after going from a SLIM model.
Console gets very hot after 30 mins play, but then I am not too concerned about this.
Lack of game patching - Again this was expected as I only really expect to see future triple A titles come with a patch for the PS4 Pro.

IMO at this moment in time the PRO is not a worthwhile purchase even if you have a 4K TV.
Personally the lack of a 4K bluray player and game patches plus the fact the much more powerful Xbox Scorpio is coming next year - Makes the PRO not a very worthwhile purchase, but if there is loads of game patches in the next couple of months then it may become more appealing.

lack of a 4K bluray player .

I cannot understand why Sony have done this? Its crazy - unless they think the decline of DVD sales renders a 4K player pointless. I don't own a single DVD anymore.

Question for anyone - when FIFA17 goes online with the PRO - is it still 4K or does it drop down to HD? Thanks

I cannot understand why Sony have done this? Its crazy - unless they think the decline of DVD sales renders a 4K player pointless. I don't own a single DVD anymore.
Same. This is the struggle I have - I wouldn't use it anyway, but it seems cheap not to put it into your "premium" product (along with making you swap all your cables about when you want to use VR).

Question for anyone - when FIFA17 goes online with the PRO - is it still 4K or does it drop down to HD? Thanks
It stays as 4K.

Meh, not a big deal leaving out the 4k Bluray, in my opinion. Most people don't seem to care. Digital is the future. Hoping the PS5 will leave the disk drive behind all together.

Meh, not a big deal leaving out the 4k Bluray, in my opinion. Most people don't seem to care. Digital is the future. Hoping the PS5 will leave the disk drive behind all together.

I don't know many people who buy digital copies of movies + 4K movies would be 60-100GB a movie, so you would be spending an awful long time downloading films to watch them.
Although Netflix and Amazon do have 4K streaming - Their full HD streams don't look as good as watching a Bluray, so I would rather have a 4K bluray.

So you'd be happy paying £60 for every game?

I think if the PS5 went full digital you would see mass increase of key sites..

Not many PC gamers buy their games of Steam, the majority are bought from Key resellers so if the PS5 becomes full digital then Key sites will start selling PS5 games.

But it won't happen too many people would moan if they buy a game and then can't trade it in.

So you'd be happy paying £60 for every game?
What I've started doing is buying the disc version of a game to get it as cheap as possible, and then when it ends up getting reduced in the online store, trading it in at CEX and using the money to re-buy it digitally.

There's no denying it saves hassle having all the games on the hard drive, especially if you play 3-4 different games regularly.

If discs disappeared overnight and games were £50-£60 on the store, people would only buy one game at a time (i.e. WAY less games), and they've have to drop the price to keep everyone's average yearly order value at a decent level.

Back
Top Bottom