The_Special_One

I like Unicorns
17 August 2007
Cascais
Estoril | Knicks
UEFA_Euro_2012_logo.png

Portugal_FPF.png

Squad

Goalkeepers: Rui Patrício (Sporting), Eduardo (Benfica) and Beto (Cluj)

Defenders: João Pereira (Sporting), Miguel Lopes (SC Braga), Pepe (Real Madrid), Bruno Alves (Zenit), Rolando (FC Porto), Ricardo Costa (Valência) and Fábio Coentrão (Real Madrid)

Midfielders: João Moutinho (FC Porto), Raúl Meireles (Chelsea), Hugo Viana (SC Braga), Miguel Veloso (Génova), Rúben Micael (Saragoça) and Custódio (SC Braga)

Strikers: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Nani (Manchester United), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas), Silvestre Varela (FC Porto), Hugo Almeida (Besiktas), Hélder Postiga (Saragoça) and Nélson Oliveira (Benfica)

Matches
Saturday 9/06 vs Germany @ Arena Lviv
Wednesday 13/06 vs Denmark @ Arena Lviv
Sunday 17/06 vs Netherlands @ Metalist Stadium​

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Aqui batem 10 milhões de corações - The Portugal Thread - Euro 2012

My line up.

GK: Eduardo
CB: Pepe
CB: Rolando
LB: Coentrão
RB: Pereira
CM: Meireles
CM: Veloso
AM: Moutinho
RW: Quaresma
LW: Nani
CF: Ronaldo

Rui Patricio is #1 keeper right?

Woah, 8 years still and Portugal havent produced a quality Striker...-_-

Almeida at CF position is a fail...

That's true...Nelson Oliveira is our main prospect for that position.

Yep. I hope Nelson Oliveira turns out to be a great striker because it is true that Portugal has REALLY STRUGLLED to produce even one great striker after Pauleta.

Re: Portugal Thread - Aqui batem 10 milhões de corações

I hope Portugal and in particular Nani has a great tournament but its going to be difficult with that group!

good luck for Portugal this year they're gonna need it but they have CR7 so i'm not even worried with just one spark from his skill it could be over for any team out there

Veloso starts? He's been pretty mediocre since joining Genoa. Not even a firm starter!

Just throw Ronaldo upfront then with tricky wingers supporting him and switch positions with them every now and then.

I think they've tried that and Cristiano just isnt as effective that way.

the holding Midfielder and CF really brings the team down a level or two unfortunately.

what a bad joke to your own people, Portugal NT! you could just make 10% (literally) of the scoring chances you got, win and go happy to the finals.

This year we stand no chance. Crucial positions are poorly covered and Ronaldo/Nani only won´t suffice. But i hope to be wrong. Anyway, go for it Portugal, dêem-lhe com a alma.

Re: Portugal Thread - Aqui batem 10 milhões de corações.

We have no option against Germany tomorrow night, mate. This team is so unbalanced and, just like you said, several key positions (CF, DMF, RB yea I don't like João Pereira) are poorly covered. Besides, there's no reliable subs on bench. For instance, if a guy like Coentrão or Moutinho get hurt we are basically screwed. :(

Oh, almost forgot it! This team has no heart, no passion whatsoever! So, we are pretty much the opposite of the Miami Heat: "Bad job, bad effort". :LOL:

Well, we can only hope Ronaldo, Nani and Rui Patricio have an inspired day.

yeah it seems like they have Loosers mentality before the cup is even starring if they don't pull it together fast enough will be out by tomorrow :(

Entirely dependant on Ronaldo isn't it?

Can't believe that a country renowned for producing talented footballers has to live with Postiga or Almeida up front.

maybe Nélson might do something, still can't see can't see anybody doing well upfront when you have Nani as your support.

Unsurprisingly, Portugal only starts playing after suffering. We are no good on the back, why play a full half so deep? We're good at attacking, fast transitions and such...

Nélson Oliveira has to start! Kid is, by a mile, our best striker, which means a lot about the lack of talent at this specific position.

Nani is a outstanding player but for some reason he doesn't step up in the Portuguese NT.

We were a bit unlucky tbh, this game could have gone either way. Yea, I guess it was the so called German efficiency. :(

i think Germany were more realistic something they're already known for! We had a lot of opportunities but the finishing wasn't good enough anyway we lost gotta get over it or else we're already out i'm hoping for better final touch for the rest of the tournament

È claramente tempo de olhar para a formaçao com outra mentalidade. Amigos, estamos fodidos se os nossos "grandes" só alinharem sul americanos e jovens talentos que os grandes europeus queiram a rodar... Já chega dessa merda, a nossa seleçao não tem talento, nem garra, nem ambição, instalados do caralho! Apostem no produto nacional, mentalizem-nos do que é alta competição, deixem-nos jogar e ganhar confiança e ritmo competitivo. O Nelson Oliveira seria the next big thing noutro país, onde o futebol tenha como objectivo principal marcar mais que o adversário, e não esperar para ver o que dá. E ele só está no Benfica, e na selecção, porque os S21 brilharam o ano passado, não pelo q mostrou no Paços ou no Benfica, duas mentalidades completamente diferentes. Sporting, não deixes de apostar nos miúdos, por amor de Deus. Mude-se a mentalidade, obriguem os clubes a inscrever jovens formados em Portugal, e que os pequenos clubes comecem a querer ganhar mais vezes aos grandes, pode ser que os deixem no futuro.

Nélson Oliveira has to start! Kid is, by a mile, our best striker, which means a lot about the lack of talent at this specific position.

Nani is a outstanding player but for some reason he doesn't step up in the Portuguese NT.

We were a bit unlucky tbh, this game could have gone either way. Yea, I guess it was the so called German efficiency. :(

I thought Nani was easily the best Portuguese attacker, the tactics didn't suit him for large parts of the game with a lot going down the left with Coentrao but really came into in the last 15-20 minutes.

@Me!TheRaven: buddy just because you don't like Benfica doesn't mean Nélson isn't good and why not give chance to young players every other Nation is doing it & not just for that we're near the end of a generation here! Besides that you're right the Super Liga is becoming a hard environment for local youngsters to break out & all the south americans that keep coming ain't helping the situation but at least they raised up the championship level a notch anyway you're right there should be a mentality change here not only from the players but from the teams too

È claramente tempo de olhar para a formaçao com outra mentalidade. Amigos, estamos fodidos se os nossos "grandes" só alinharem sul americanos e jovens talentos que os grandes europeus queiram a rodar... Já chega dessa merda, a nossa seleçao não tem talento, nem garra, nem ambição, instalados do caralho! Apostem no produto nacional, mentalizem-nos do que é alta competição, deixem-nos jogar e ganhar confiança e ritmo competitivo. O Nelson Oliveira seria the next big thing noutro país, onde o futebol tenha como objectivo principal marcar mais que o adversário, e não esperar para ver o que dá. E ele só está no Benfica, e na selecção, porque os S21 brilharam o ano passado, não pelo q mostrou no Paços ou no Benfica, duas mentalidades completamente diferentes. Sporting, não deixes de apostar nos miúdos, por amor de Deus. Mude-se a mentalidade, obriguem os clubes a inscrever jovens formados em Portugal, e que os pequenos clubes comecem a querer ganhar mais vezes aos grandes, pode ser que os deixem no futuro.
wow! u certainly have a better knowledge than me of the current standing of portugal's national team, but i believe u're being a bit harsh.
i haven't watched much action from portugal nt lately (just about 2 or 3 matches over the last 2 years), but if i had to base my judgement on yesterday's performance alone, i wouldn't say you lack talent nor guts nor ambition. yesterday you played against the best national team in the world (alongside spain) and for a good chunk of the game u gave em a very hard time. portugal occupied the spaces very well, they were brilliant defensively and had enough serious scoring chances to bring us to say germany had a bit of luck. i can't think of many national teams which could show such composure, coolness and organization against a team like this current germany team.
sure there are probably a few issues with some positions, but then again, the only teams which don't seem to have any issue at all today are germany and spain, so that's pretty normal.

again, i'm in no position to comment on your opinion, as u definitely know portugal better than me, but i find such disappointment quite surprising, especially after yesterday's performance.

cheer up guys, after watching netherlands yesterday, i'd say u have a pretty fair chance to make it through the group stage ;)

Amineken, i´m Benfiquista, do not doubt. That´s why i´m pissed! Benfica doesn´t grow one fucking player for years now. It is appalling, and if you guys saw, the technical quality of our young players, everywhere, not only in the big clubs, you´d ask questions too. I played football for 23 years, played from day one as a striker, reached semi-pro status, earned some cash, had many, many brasilian as mates and opponents, and never met one who i clearly saw was better than me. This is not boasting, just telling the truth about my experience, and others. Brazilian are cheaper than us,and between a 18 year old national striker and a 27 year old brazilian one, clubs and coaches in Portugal will choose the latter, even if the 18 year shows incredible promise and will. This happened to me, and happens to many others here in Portugal, where football is played with one thing in mind: Do not suffer, we´ll score eventually. This type of football is the opposite of what u play in the youths, it rewards fast moving forwards only, and kills any and everyother fucking striker type right from the start if u don´t have the luck to play in the big clubs, and get spotted by a coach who doesn´t fear to give young guns their chances...

i hear you much better now dude and all i can say is you're right but this problem is universal, not just in Portugal even here in Algeria players are treated worst than shit the longest contact you'll get out here is a 2 year one with no bonus. Of course there's some exception as always but mostly it's money rules mentality everywhere in the world that's why you have south american youngster coming to Europe simply to earn more & get more chances to play rather than stay at home & sit on the bench waiting for the golden opportunity that may never come ;)

Back
Top Bottom