PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

Still waiting on my component cable. I really hope it works.

I was a bit nostalgic about all the kitserver things in pes5/we9le and pes6, and i played these games yesterday. I came back directly after a few games to pes 2008. It was simply too easy. The biggest difference was that the cpu is so much more clinical on pes 2008. The pes 5 and 6 cpu don't play necessarily that bad, but they are not clinical.

Pes 2008 is much more fast though compared to 5 and 6. I felt like i was playing with speed x2 when i came from pes 6 to pes 2008.

What did you use as adjustment geee for reducing speed on pes 2008 ? I'm interested to try, i hope it doesnt remove some individuality, really loving it there.

Still waiting on my component cable. I really hope it works.

I was a bit nostalgic about all the kitserver things in pes5/we9le and pes6, and i played these games yesterday. I came back directly after a few games to pes 2008. It was simply too easy. The biggest difference was that the cpu is so much more clinical on pes 2008. The pes 5 and 6 cpu don't play necessarily that bad, but they are not clinical.

Pes 2008 is much more fast though compared to 5 and 6. I felt like i was playing with speed x2 when i came from pes 6 to pes 2008.

What did you use as adjustment geee for reducing speed on pes 2008 ? I'm interested to try, i hope it doesnt remove some individuality, really loving it there.

Yes it is more clinical. I like the way the CPU will catch you out with snap shots or just turn and shoot when you least expect it.

The adjustments I made are...

Top Speed -15
Acceleration-15
Dribble Speed -15
Short Pass Speed -10
Long Pass Speed -10

If I was not able to adjust the speed the game would be too fast for me. The good thing is that the individuality is still there. I have just bought a fast winger in my ML and he is good at getting away from defenders. Also being slower it means there are more midfield battles.

I was thinking of increasing Header by 5 because I find a lot of headers just go over the bar.

One thing I have noticed in my ML is some random players are valued at 5000 (the most points) regardless of how bad they are. I may edit over them with Ronaldo, Messi etc...to make it more realistic.

I made the mistake of getting into the new FIFA. I call it a mistake because it has taken up my ML time. And made me think do I want to carry on with ML. But, after playing a few games yesterday I get annoyed with all the cut scenes. Every shot the GK fist pump, the striker look up, the manager jumps around. I just want to get on with the game and these scenes also take the place of replays. And when there is a save, or woodwork hit I don't ever shout "wow!" because it happens too often. Whereas in PES2008 I really appreciate a fantastic save or someone hitting the woodwork.

Maybe it is just the simplicity of old PES that I like. No thrills just get on with the game. :)

Last edited:
Yes it is more clinical. I like the way the CPU will catch you out with snap shots or just turn and shoot when you least expect it.

The adjustments I made are...

Top Speed -15
Acceleration-15
Dribble Speed -15
Short Pass Speed -10
Long Pass Speed -10

If I was not able to adjust the speed the game would be too fast for me. The good thing is that the individuality is still there. I have just bought a fast winger in my ML and he is good at getting away from defenders. Also being slower it means there are more midfield battles.

I was thinking of increasing Header by 5 because I find a lot of headers just go over the bar.

One thing I have noticed in my ML is some random players are valued at 5000 (the most points) regardless of how bad they are. I may edit over them with Ronaldo, Messi etc...to make it more realistic.

I made the mistake of getting into the new FIFA. I call it a mistake because it has taken up my ML time. And made me think do I want to carry on with ML. But, after playing a few games yesterday I get annoyed with all the cut scenes. Every shot the GK fist pump, the striker look up, the manager jumps around. I just want to get on with the game and these scenes also take the place of replays. And when there is a save, or woodwork hit I don't ever shout "wow!" because it happens too often. Whereas in PES2008 I really appreciate a fantastic save or someone hitting the woodwork.

Maybe it is just the simplicity of old PES that I like. No thrills just get on with the game. :)

Thanks. Good for the individuality. Nothing for the stamina though ? Heard the players were getting too much tired in ML.

I don't have the problem with weird valuations in ML, but i play with default database slightly edited by me with new current players.

Funny about FIFA, because i bought it today after hesitating a long time, but the reviews from evoweb users were really good... I will try it. I don't mind if i'm playing with two football games at the same time, i currently play pes 2008 on psp and fifa 16 on pc, when i'm fed off i play the other one, it's good fun.

Thanks. Good for the individuality. Nothing for the stamina though ? Heard the players were getting too much tired in ML.

I don't have the problem with weird valuations in ML, but i play with default database slightly edited by me with new current players.

Funny about FIFA, because i bought it today after hesitating a long time, but the reviews from evoweb users were really good... I will try it. I don't mind if i'm playing with two football games at the same time, i currently play pes 2008 on psp and fifa 16 on pc, when i'm fed off i play the other one, it's good fun.

Yeh sorry I forgot about the Stamina which I increased by 5 for each player.

I was debating whether to edit a default database and not unlock classic players but it would just take too long in my life now.

I think you will enjoy FIFA. Just don't read negative posts because they can highlight things that you may not have noticed.

With the players in ML that are worth 5000 I cannot understand where the figure comes from. For example I have just created some players for Cardiff, one being Murphy their GK. I tested in ML and he was valued as 5000 which is the most. So I base copied him onto another player who's value was then 600 or something.

I start another ML to test and the original Murphy was then valued at about 20. So it seems that some players are just randomly priced either really high or really low. So my idea of creating Ronaldo and Messi over players valued at 5000 may backfire as they may also be valued at 20 or something ridiculously low. I don't why Konami make things silly sometimes. Why they cannot reflect the price according to the player's stats I do not know.

So I will just use those randomly priced players for regular players and whatever price they are in the ML, so be it.

After dabbling with FIFA I am back to no thrills 2008.

I love Valle's goal. I love the fact the player kind of took over my control and I didn't know how he scored it. His stats came into play.

Match 6 v Leaders Hull.

The shots in the 38th and 60th minute are one of the reasons I love this game. They don't always happen so when you hit them right they feel fantastic. :)

This thread must not die. Little update on my situation : i finally received another component cable, it works, BUT it is still very ugly/blurry. Strange thing is that other games on ps2 work fine, but every pes game are blurry on my tv. I won't buy an old tv just for playing pes 2008 on ps2, so i guess i'll continue to play on psp... And i did, this game is so much fun, compared to fifa 18 for example that i play sometimes. The old pes (5/6/2008) are so good because they did nail right the balance between realism and fun.

This thread must not die. Little update on my situation : i finally received another component cable, it works, BUT it is still very ugly/blurry. Strange thing is that other games on ps2 work fine, but every pes game are blurry on my tv. I won't buy an old tv just for playing pes 2008 on ps2, so i guess i'll continue to play on psp... And i did, this game is so much fun, compared to fifa 18 for example that i play sometimes. The old pes (5/6/2008) are so good because they did nail right the balance between realism and fun.

Maybe its because you are so used to playing 5 and 6 on PC where the graphic are more crisp.

Yep i certainly agree that this game is so much better than new PES and FIFA. I see video clips of of both and they don’t do anything for me. In the small amount of games i have played on FIFA (about 20) the woodwork is hit every game and brings no feeling of “oh almost!” But in PES2008 the woodwork is hit a lot less so it is less expected and brings more joy. Heh its like i get more from hitting the post than scoring sometimes.

Also i keep reading about scripting in those games and its accepted. In 5, 6, and 2008, it doesnt happen.

I play the last version for ps2 (PES 2014) on emulator and is very good. Hard to win against cpu (usually on pes 6 was easy for me). I play it for long time, and as the gameplay is similar to pes 2008 I prefer PES2014 because there is still someone who makes Option file updated every new season with promoted clubs and missing Champions league teams.

And the graphics are improved too, specially the crowd

Last edited:
I play the last version for ps2 (PES 2014) on emulator and is very good. Hard to win against cpu (usually on pes 6 was easy for me). I play it for long time, and as the gameplay is similar to pes 2008 I prefer PES2014 because there is still someone who makes Option file updated every new season with promoted clubs and missing Champions league teams.

And the graphics are improved too, specially the crowd

Do you have any gameplay videos? I only bought up to 2013 and i thought the CPU teams were too direct not passing backwards, only dribbling forwards. I thought that 2014 would be the same so i never bought it.

I’m still absolutely loving this game. The scenarios that appear during the match are fantastic. I know it needs some imagination but wow it just takes me back to 10 years ago when i didnt care about stadiums, and graphics and stuff etc...

Just played a fantastic match in my ML v Brighton, who are aiming for promotion. Our right winger, Judivan, was tearing Saltor apart contstantly. But then in the last 5 mins of the first half they started piling on the pressure until deep into injury time Sidwell scored a fantasic goal from about 30 yards, a daisy cutter right into the bottom corner. I loved watching it over and over. 1-0 down.

Then second half starts and once again Judivan is constantly taking on Saltor, who actually gave away 4 free kicks against him. Then we had the ball in midfield, i was going to pass to Judivan again but then noticed that he made space for my striker Keane by drawing Saltor out the way. So i passed to Keane and he managed to turn and curl a shot into the bottom corner. Again a fantastic goal and 1-1.

They then went all out attack with their attack / defence setting at its highest, and with Judivan eventually getting injured from Saltor’s earlier challenge, I thought we were ‘scripted’ to lose but no we kept our nerve and managed to hold on. In fact right at the end I jumped out of my seat when our other striker Valle placed a shot just high and wide but for a second i thought it was in. It finished 1-1.

I wish i had recorded it because it was a classic even if not end to end but so many individual battles going on.

I love the fact that you do not know if you are going to win or lose, i never get the feeling that the CPU has a goal coming even when they are pressuring me and getting lucky deflections. It just feels so good and satisfying. What a fabulous game.:APPLAUD:

Exactly. You generally don't feel cheated in the older games because the cpu plays well, but realistically well. They pressure you into realistic mistakes and take advantage but you always know that if you'd played a little better you could have won the match and not conceded. Always well balanced and based in reality. The fact you enjoy conceding a goal says it all. The newer ones are ridiculous because the cpu go from not pressuring you at all and constantly backing off on most difficulty levels (so you never really feel any satisfaction from scoring or feel like you truly earned the goal), then on the top levels it just cheats to win by ramping the cpu AI up to unrealistic superhuman levels where the crappiest teams are suddenly playing constant 1 touch Barcelona type football thus making it a no contest and rage fest. So lazy and unbalanced, all style over substance. Also pisses me off how stats are pretty much useless in the new games too, not to mention the total lack of fouls. They've really lost the essence of what made PES such a special game in my opinion. I'm not knocking anyone who enjoys present day PES though. I'll just keep my ranting to this thread lol.

Last edited:
Do you have any gameplay videos? I only bought up to 2013 and i thought the CPU teams were too direct not passing backwards, only dribbling forwards. I thought that 2014 would be the same so i never bought it.

I Don't have, but you can easily get the game and try it out. I really like it because it's not certain that you will win the match.
I play Serie A with Hellas Verona in top level and against strong teams like Juve and Napoli it's difficult (I lost at home against Napoli 4-0 :LOL:). I'm struggling in 3rd place

I Don't have, but you can easily get the game and try it out. I really like it because it's not certain that you will win the match.
I play Serie A with Hellas Verona in top level and against strong teams like Juve and Napoli it's difficult (I lost at home against Napoli 4-0 :LOL:). I'm struggling in 3rd place

Sorry marvadiriu, i have PES2009-2013 on PS2 and in these yes the game is hard but simply because the CPU dribbles more the higher the level. But it does not mean the gameplay is good as the CPU just does not pass the ball about like in PES2008. It only passes forwards not back. I have seen video clips of 2014 PS2 and, to me, it looks very similar to those versions.

So even though it is harder i fear it may be unrealistic. But like you say it is best if i play it but i would prefer to watch a whole match v CPU to see how it plays before i spend money especially as PES2008 PS2 is so good. ;)

I just bought PES2008 on PS2 cos of this thread :) It's great fun. Started with the challenges and couldn't beat Thailand by 2 goals with England on top difficulty, it's a great challenge.

I also re-bought PES6 on PS2. These two games are still the best football games ever, in my opinion. Me and my mates are having great fun playing them. They are just more responsive and varied and challenging than the modern games. So much more fun and creative.

I just bought PES2008 on PS2 cos of this thread :) It's great fun. Started with the challenges and couldn't beat Thailand by 2 goals with England on top difficulty, it's a great challenge.

I also re-bought PES6 on PS2. These two games are still the best football games ever, in my opinion. Me and my mates are having great fun playing them. They are just more responsive and varied and challenging than the modern games. So much more fun and creative.

Really pleased you are enjoying them. :)

I decided this week to try some others pes on psp (2009 to 2014), i never played them before and i had a negative bias until now. I played approximately 10 games and i honestly didn't think it was that different from pes 2008, the cpu is not dribbling more than in pes 2008 IMO. For now, my favorite is pes 2011. The new stuff like champions league, master league improved and become a legend mixed with good old ps2 gameplay is great.

I decided this week to try some others pes on psp (2009 to 2014), i never played them before and i had a negative bias until now. I played approximately 10 games and i honestly didn't think it was that different from pes 2008, the cpu is not dribbling more than in pes 2008 IMO. For now, my favorite is pes 2011. The new stuff like champions league, master league improved and become a legend mixed with good old ps2 gameplay is great.

That’s interesting. Maybe I will give them another go. Even though I have tried them many times before but I really find that the AI is too direct by just passing forward and dribbling. Also, if I remember, the higher the level the more frustrating it is to tackle the AI. The same player just seems to keep getting the ball even when he is pushed off it. And there are less fouls and no midfield play.

Just my thoughts.

What makes 2011 better than the others?

I just played a quick game of PES2011. And I think I know what is different.

The dribbling is easier for me regardless of what player it is and because of that my mind just wanders because I find it less of a challenge.

Just my opinion though ;)

I played a few games today on pes 2011, 2008, 6 and 5 (Yeah, i had a lot of free time).
Pes 2008 felt more difficult than pes 2011, it played very similarly, but the cpu pressured me more, which is why i think you said dribbling was easier on pes 2011, actually i don't think so, you just have less time on the ball. After a few months on pes 2008, pes 6 was definitely too easy. Nevertheless, pes 5 has still something magic compared to pes 2008, the defensive aspect was really well done in this game and i struggled a bit against the cpu. Was pes 5 cpu so good because i hadn't touched it since playing pes 2008 ? Probably, yes.

I played a few games today on pes 2011, 2008, 6 and 5 (Yeah, i had a lot of free time).
Pes 2008 felt more difficult than pes 2011, it played very similarly, but the cpu pressured me more, which is why i think you said dribbling was easier on pes 2011, actually i don't think so, you just have less time on the ball. After a few months on pes 2008, pes 6 was definitely too easy. Nevertheless, pes 5 has still something magic compared to pes 2008, the defensive aspect was really well done in this game and i struggled a bit against the cpu. Was pes 5 cpu so good because i hadn't touched it since playing pes 2008 ? Probably, yes.

Heh heh you certainly had some free time. Yeh maybe they close you down more in 2008. And definitely the CPU passing is more varied. Sometimes they go backwards and forwards even doing consecutive passes between the same players which is good to see.

PES5 is excellent but having played it for so many years the CPU is predictable now. PES6 i have always found too easy so i actually gave it away after about a month after release.

PES2008 is where it’s at for me. Ive almost finished editing the English Championship. And then i will start a Championship League playing as every team. I played a couple of games today and there are so many ‘jump out of my seat’ moments. I was 2-1 down in injury time and i thought i’d have a shot from about 20 yrds. The GK parried it, i thought it was going out for a corner but it actually dropped in the goal. Excellent stuff.

I love the fact that there are fouls and injuries in this game too. Simple things that are missing from PES2018.

And today i'm playing pes 3. :LOL: Very hard game, the cpu is very aggressive, i'm hesitating to begin a master league on pes 3 or pes 2008 now...

And today i'm playing pes 3. :LOL: Very hard game, the cpu is very aggressive, i'm hesitating to begin a master league on pes 3 or pes 2008 now...

Heh heh its good to try to stick to one. Otherwise you will never really get fully emmersed in the game.

There will always be good and bad points from both.

I have just finished editing 18 English Championship teams based on PSD stats with a few adjustments.

So i have decided to start a league with the 18 teams and playing each game. I have a habit recently of starting ML’s and CM’s and Cup’s but never getting round to finishing them. I am determined to finish this though.

Here are highlights of the first two matches from Matchday 1.

(Team marked with * is controlled by me)

Sunderland 1 v *Derby 1

Tight game this one. Vydra (45+) put Derby 1-0 up after a good shot from Huddleston hit the bar. But in the second half Grabban (62) made a good turn and shot to equalise.

*Nottingham Forest 1 v Sheffield Wednesday 3

Sheffield Weds completely dominated this game and ripped Forest’s defence open with a goal from Fletcher (19) and a brace from Rhodes (45+) (75). His second was a great effort that caught the Forest keeper out. Sub McKay pulled one back (76) and has given himself a good reason to start the next match.

Last edited:
*Burton 1 v Cardiff 0

I loved this game because it typifies everything good about older PES’.

Cardiff completely dominated this game especially in the first half and that is reflected in the stats. Burton were up against it. So when Brayford (45+) scored an absolute screamer against his old team. I was fist pumping. The reason is because these goals happen in PES2008 but not that often so when you do score them they feel fantastic. One of those rare strikes that a SB may score once in his career. I honestly don’t think he will score another one like it. A chest down from about 25 yards and an almost daisy cutter (maybe a sun flower cutter) arrowed in off the post.

After that I changed the formation and just defended but hit Cardiff on the counter. Defence / Attack levels for me were reduced to Ultra Defence to hold on. Cardiff had a chance at the end. I thought ‘oh no, not the dreaded scripting’. Thankfully no scripting in this game, the shot went wide. All because of player stats, Mentality, Stamina, pressure. All those things meant the shot was well wide. Great game. Burton is my team!.

Another match from Matchday 1.

Fulham 2 v Norwich 4 (me)

A good game this and a strange one. Oliveira for Norwich was excellent scoring a great individual goal (5) and then getting a strong header (39). Fulham didnt cause much of a threat and their day got worse when Odoi was sent off (43) with a straight red...yes a straight red in PES, i dont think that happens much in PES these days. In fact there were 10 fouls in this match which shows again the difference between this and the newer ones. I will keep an eye on Simon Rhodes the ref because it will be interesting to see the foul count in his next one.

So at half time Fulham had to make changes but to no avail as Matt Jarvis made it 0-3 with a lovely curling effort (50). Then Hoolahan steered the ball in to make it 4 (66). But i have to give it to Fulham because they changed their formation and got a goal back through a Gunn own goal (75) and then Norwood made it 2-4 (78). I was thinking that if they get another one then i will be in trouble but thankfully they didn't.

I will probably receive a max drive next week, so i'll be able to really dig into pes 2008 editing. I'm looking forward to try the adjustments stats you made geeee. Did you discover any others interesting stats adjustments btw ?

Back
Top Bottom