PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

This thread's got me curious about all the other later ps2 games. They released them on ps2 all the way up to pes 2014, all using a similar game engine. Does anyone know if they went downhill after this one or if they're worth checking out?

Unfortunately they went downhill after 2008. The AI players very rarely pass back and just run forward dribbling through your defence. Also almost no fouls in later ones.

I've started posting my ML adventures in the ML thread.

What are your thoughts about pes 2018 compared to pes 2008 (gameplay-wise of course)?

Being honest with you I have only played the online beta and the demo and I thought it was ok not great. After watching Chris Davis' review of PES2018 and seeing that certain stats make no difference to players I feel that we are being cheated a bit. So I decided for the first time in my playing PES history that I will not buy the game until it is reduced in price.

Stats used to play a huge part in this game. If you remember, not sure if it's PES5 or 6, in the intro video for the game it features players passing, shooting, and dribbling but interestingly it also has stats next to the player. Not a big thing but this really highlighted the importance of individual stats in those games.

I have been updating my PES2008 option file using pesstatsdatabase for the stats. And when I increase or decrease a stat by just 1 point I know it makes a slight difference in the way the player will play.

For example Kane's 'Balance' has increased by a few points and his 'Shot Power' has increased. I feel the difference straight away in the way that he plays either under my control or under CPU control.

I never saw that in 2017 and after seeing Chris' review it seems that 2018 will be the same.

Also I don't experience scripting in PES2008 but I can imagine it will be there in 2018 as 2017 was full of it. Yes I have had players make stupid mistakes at crucial times but that again is stat based, one of the main ones being 'Mentality'.

Hope that helps, but that is just my opinion.

I'm thinking of buying a ps2 just for playing pes 2008 or buying pes 2018. I guess i will buy a ps2, if pes 2018 is similar to pes 2017 in regard to the stats.

Btw, how can we transfer option file from ps2 to pc and vice versa ? Is it necessary to hack the ps2 ?

Last edited:
I'm thinking of buying a ps2 just for playing pes 2008 or buying pes 2018. I guess i will buy a ps2, if pes 2018 is similar to pes 2017 in regard to the stats.

Btw, how can we transfer option file from ps2 to pc and vice versa ? Is it necessary to hack the ps2 ?

Have you played the demo of 2018? Maybe give it a play test first. Also have you seen Chris' review of it?

It would be good to give it some thought really before you buy an old console and then a 10 year old game. Also you would need a MaxDrive (not as expenisive as it sounds) too to convert PC option file to PS2. I will walk you through it. It doesnt need to be hacked or anything. I could upload my option file for you to use too if you want to save you time. :)

It does have its flaws, but you need to accept the few bad things with the many good things. If you still like PES5, 6, and WE9LE you will love this. For me it is far better than those games.

The only reason i started getting into the new games is because i was finding those games too easy against AI after so many years of playing but PES2008 has given me a new challenge. I'm struggling on Regular and still have 2 more levels to move up yet!

I will post some more videos in the ML thread but they will be shorter ones so it gives you something else to look at.

Something else happened the other day when i played an exhibition against Bournemouth. They put a cross in and Defore went for a scissor kick but completley missed the ball. It was so real because he just mistimed it, and that is no doubt because his stats have been reduced slightly. I dont recall seeing things like that in 2017. The AI would have made contact and either scored or put it just wide like all the AI shots in 2017.

It is up to you if you buy it. I am thinking of getting another PS2 as back up for my one. I actually ordered another PES2008 over a week ago from Amazon but it hasnt turned up yet though :(

I hope the mods don't mind me posting my ML videos in this thread too, I want to give PES2008 a bit more exposure and think the videos may get lost along with the 2018 ones. It will also hopefully help some to see how the PS2 version is very surprisingly better than PES5, 6, and WE9LE.

Surprisingly difficult on Regular difficulty.

Match 1 at home to Brighton...

Match 2... away to Newcastle...

I finally ordered on amazon a ps2, pes 2008 on ps2, max drive and the official guide (i like this game this much).

I tried the pes 2018 demo on pc. It looks amazing. It really looks like a real football match. But the problem is that is not a football simulation. Because the stats are most of the time useless on this game. This pes 2018 is like what was fifa 16 for me: a good game that looks like football with amazing graphics but nonetheless doesn't play as real simulation of football, like pes 2008 or former ones (5,6,we9le).

I finally ordered this on amazon a ps2, pes 2008 on ps2, max drive and the official guide (i like this game this much).

I tried the pes 2018 demo on pc. It looks amazing. It really looks like a real football match. But the problem is that is not a football simulation. Because the stats are most of the time useless on this game. This pes 2018 is like what was fifa 16 for me: a good game that looks like football with amazing graphics but nonetheless doesn't play as real simulation of football, like pes 2008 or former ones (5,6,we9le).

Yep it does look amazing and I can see why people like it. But when I watch the clips I really feel that the whole thing is scripted along with the commentating. Strikers always having fantastic shots which are either just wide, saved, or scored. The commentator shouting out "what a strike!" as if to make it really exciting. To me it is lacking soul.

I really hope you like it as much as me.

Anyway here is my next match against Huddersfield...

Is there any possible way to get the CPU in WE9LE attack the way PES 2008 attacks?

Unfortunately, i was never able to replicate pes 6 offensive cpu in we9le, and pes 2008 is even better in that aspect...

I was reading a couple of threads and reviews about pes 2008 (ps2 version) from 10 years ago, and it's funny to see that most of people were disappointed with this game, because it looked a lot like pes 6 and didn't have the new fancy things from pes 2008 next-gen :LOL: 10 years after hardcore pes fans play it again, what a destiny for this game.

Unfortunately, i was never able to replicate pes 6 offensive cpu in we9le, and pes 2008 is even better in that aspect...

I was reading a couple of threads and reviews about pes 2008 (ps2 version) from 10 years ago, and it's funny to see that most of people were disappointed with this game, because it looked a lot like pes 6 and didn't have the new fancy things from pes 2008 next-gen :LOL: 10 years after hardcore pes fans play it again, what a destiny for this game.

That's a damn shame. For the next couple of months, I had been trying to find the perfect footie for me to enjoy. A game where player stats matter. A game where teams play differently. A game where it's fun to control a player. I also have issues that destroy my experience. Things like the lack of stats influence and team id in PES 2018. The ping-pong passing for every player on both FIFA 18 and PES 2018. There are some games that are almost perfect like PES 2013 or PES 2011 however they both have problems where slow players can catch up with fast players. I am just waiting for FIFA 18 now and hopefully the team styles. That's my last hope.

Is there any possible way to get the CPU in WE9LE attack the way PES 2008 attacks?

I tried global stat adjustments like increasing shooting accuracy and team work, and this helped in PES5 but no where near as good as 2008.

Yeh it's interesting how people were complaining because they couldn't dive in the PS2 version. But there were also some good reviews on Amazon that made me want to try it again. Thankfully I did.

That's a damn shame. For the next couple of months, I had been trying to find the perfect footie for me to enjoy. A game where player stats matter. A game where teams play differently. A game where it's fun to control a player. I also have issues that destroy my experience. Things like the lack of stats influence and team id in PES 2018. The ping-pong passing for every player on both FIFA 18 and PES 2018. There are some games that are almost perfect like PES 2013 or PES 2011 however they both have problems where slow players can catch up with fast players. I am just waiting for FIFA 18 now and hopefully the team styles. That's my last hope.

I've been trying to find a good footy game for ages. Like you said one where stats really do matter. And one which just keeps things simple. Obviously you won't get team identity in 2008 but teams try different things depending on the players that they have.

I played a cup match as Tottenham v Chelsea yesterday and Chelsea scored a fantastic goal with Loftus-Cheek. He just caressed the ball into the top corner from about 30 yards. I was not expecting it at all. And the way he was just watching the ball after he hit it. It looked so real. The point is that a goal like that doesn't come round often.

I will upload it later tonight. In fact Chelsea hammered me in the that game I think it was 5-1 over 2 legs. Willian and Hazard just terrorised me and I loved it.

I am trying to find a good setup for it. PCSX2 is a bit too complicated.

I hope you get it to work Topaz.

I tried global stat adjustments like increasing shooting accuracy and team work, and this helped in PES5 but no where near as good as 2008.

Yeh it's interesting how people were complaining because they couldn't dive in the PS2 version. But there were also some good reviews on Amazon that made me want to try it again. Thankfully I did.

I've been trying to find a good footy game for ages. Like you said one where stats really do matter. And one which just keeps things simple. Obviously you won't get team identity in 2008 but teams try different things depending on the players that they have.

I played a cup match as Tottenham v Chelsea yesterday and Chelsea scored a fantastic goal with Loftus-Cheek. He just caressed the ball into the top corner from about 30 yards. I was not expecting it at all. And the way he was just watching the ball after he hit it. It looked so real. The point is that a goal like that doesn't come round often.

I will upload it later tonight. In fact Chelsea hammered me in the that game I think it was 5-1 over 2 legs. Willian and Hazard just terrorised me and I loved it.

I hope you get it to work Topaz.

I want to see that video against Chelsea. If I can do get a nice setup with the emulator, I will share it here.

Problem with this when it came out on ps2 was it got totally overshadowed by the next gen version. People dismissed the ps2 version cause it lacked any fancy new features and they were hyped for next gen, then dismissed the ps3 version cause it was buggy, laggy and unfinished. The whole pes 2008 brand then got a bad name and many people jumped ship to fifa. Not enough people took the time to appreciate the gameplay improvements in the ps2 release. I think they should have made a distinction between the games by calling the ps2 version pes 7 and next gen pes 2008 cause they were basically 2 completely different games. Btw geeeeee, do you still play your ps2 on an old style crt tv?

Last edited:
I want to see that video against Chelsea. If I can do get a nice setup with the emulator, I will share it here.

Here is that Loftus-Cheek goal. It was much better in game because it completely caught me by surprise. The more I watch it the better it gets. I like the forth angle best because you can see him watching the ball after he hit it urging it to go in.

Willian scored one from distance too but completely different type of shot. Will upload that soon.

Problem with this when it came out on ps2 was it got totally overshadowed by the next gen version. People dismissed the ps2 version cause it lacked any fancy new features and they were hyped for next gen, then dismissed the ps3 version cause it was buggy, laggy and unfinished. The whole pes 2008 brand then got a bad name and many people jumped ship to fifa. Not enough people took the time to appreciate the gameplay improvements in the ps2 release. I think they should have made a distinction between the games by calling the ps2 version pes 7 and next gen pes 2008 cause they were basically 2 completely different games. Btw geeeeee, do you still play your ps2 on an old style crt tv?

Couldn't agree more Lexy, definitely the game has gotten overlooked.

Regarding the TV, heh heh yeh I suppose it's old but not really old. I use the 3 cables to connect the PS2. White, Yellow, and Red cable.

I'm struggling so much in my ML at the moment. Not in a bad way, but because my players are so poor. Stats really matter in this game. Really looking forward to the transfer window so that I can bring in a few better than average players. I forgot how frustrating this game can be sometimes when you play with the Default ML team. But it just means it is more rewarding when they begin to improve.

Excellent game this!

Had a bit of a rough day yesterday with this game to the point where I thought that maybe it is not as good as I thought it was.

Playing my ML with default team on Regular level and it is so hard. Throughout the 14 game season I only scored 3 goals and one was an own goal. But in the mid season transfer window I did buy a few players to keep the ship steady. Can't remember their names just yet. But the DMF that I bought is a power house and you can definitely feel the difference between him and other players. He wins most headers and most challenges and is a good part of the 'spine' that I am trying to build.

Because I was not enjoying it so much, I decided to buy 2018 and I gave that a go today and boy that game just does not feel right. Knocking the ball about I didn't really get a feel for any of the players. They do all pretty much feel the same to me. Admittedly I only played a game and a half before I was wanting to go back to 2008.

I played my first pre season friendly against the Goliath's a team consisting of tall players and we drew 1-1. Yes eventually I scored another goal. The team now seems to be gelling together. Once my players improve and I add a few more then I know I will enjoy it more.

If any are thinking of playing this game I would recommend starting with the original squad for whatever team you pick or buy some players at the start of the season to add to your default ML team. Because this game is tough at the beginning with just the defaults. ;)

Last edited:
Had a bit of a rough day yesterday with this game to the point where I thought that maybe it is not as good as I thought it was.

Playing my ML with default team on Regular level and it is so hard. Throughout the 14 game season I only scored 3 goals and one was an own goal. But in the mid season transfer window I did buy a few players to keep the ship steady. Can't remember their names just yet. But the DMF that I bought is a power house and you can definitely feel the difference between him and other players. He wins most headers and most challenges and is a good part of the 'spine' that I am trying to build.

Because I was not enjoying it so much, I decided to buy 2018 and I gave that a go today and boy that game just does not feel right. Knocking the ball about I didn't really get a feel for any of the players. They do all pretty much feel the same to me. Admittedly I only played a game and a half before I was wanting to go back to 2008.

I played my first pre season friendly against the Goliath's a team consisting of tall players and we drew 1-1. Yes eventually I scored another goal. The team now seems to be gelling together. Once my players improve and I add a few more then I know I will enjoy it more.

If any are thinking of playing this game I would recommend starting with the original squad for whatever team you pick or buy some players at the start of the season to add to your default ML team. Because this game is tough at the beginning with just the defaults. ;)

I struggle with big teams like Chelsea, Bayern or Barcelona, so i could imagine with default master league team. :P (professional level though)
Still waiting on my amazon order, can't wait to play this game on the ps2 and start a master league. My hands begin to hurt with the psp commands :BRICK:

I struggle with big teams like Chelsea, Bayern or Barcelona, so i could imagine with default master league team. :P (professional level though)
Still waiting on my amazon order, can't wait to play this game on the ps2 and start a master league. My hands begin to hurt with the psp commands :BRICK:

Yep it does make a different what teams you play in his game.

One thing I have noticed though, but not a game breaker for me thankfully, is that the CPU doesn't make tactical subs. This is strange because it is still tactically aware during the game. If it's losing it will attack more, if winning defend more. But it rarely changes formation. Maybe it depends what ML level you play on. Like I said it is not a game breaker as there is still so much good in this game. Thankfully stats matter :)

I will certainly try Fifa18 though, it gets really good reviews in this forum.

Have you tried the demo?
I tried it but something is missing and i cannot work it out. Maybe it is just the simplicity of the older games.

Like every year i will probably buy it along with PES and then come back to this.

This thread seems to be my PES diary at the moment.

It is finally clicking how to defend in this game and I'm loving it. But it does help when you have a couple of good CB's and a good DMF for protection.

Just played another pre-season friendly in my ML against an All American random team. I got to the 60th minute and was 6-0 down even though I was playing well. To make matters worse we hit the crossbar from a penalty. I was thinking "scripting"!

I actually cheated and turned the game off and started again. So this time with the same line up I played counter attacking footy with my defence / attack bar one up from all out defence. This worked a treat. And instead of pressing their players like I did in the last game I just patiently waited until I could get my foot in...and I did. Using my excellent DMF (cannot remember his name at the moment) to protect the back four. I was tracking back, taking time reading the play, cutting passing lanes. When I got my foot in or pushed them out wide it felt fantastic. I have really missed that in PES games being under the cosh for so long but holding on.

In the end they managed to score from a cross and header. It was my own fault though because I was too lazy to sub one of my tired players and he couldn't get back to cover the wing.

5 minutes later though we equalised through our new pacey winger. He found himself around the centre circle, passed it out wide and then run into the box for the cross. When it came in the ball was knocked down to him and he volleyed it in. Game finished 1-1. Excellent defensive display which also reinforced my belief that this game is not scripted.

We have now bought Caulker too to reinforce the defence.

Once I get to start the new season I will start posting videos again in the ML thread. One more friendly to go yet.

This thread seems to be my PES diary at the moment.

It is finally clicking how to defend in this game and I'm loving it. But it does help when you have a couple of good CB's and a good DMF for protection.

Just played another pre-season friendly in my ML against an All American random team. I got to the 60th minute and was 6-0 down even though I was playing well. To make matters worse we hit the crossbar from a penalty. I was thinking "scripting"!

I actually cheated and turned the game off and started again. So this time with the same line up I played counter attacking footy with my defence / attack bar one up from all out defence. This worked a treat. And instead of pressing their players like I did in the last game I just patiently waited until I could get my foot in...and I did. Using my excellent DMF (cannot remember his name at the moment) to protect the back four. I was tracking back, taking time reading the play, cutting passing lanes. When I got my foot in or pushed them out wide it felt fantastic. I have really missed that in PES games being under the cosh for so long but holding on.

In the end they managed to score from a cross and header. It was my own fault though because I was too lazy to sub one of my tired players and he couldn't get back to cover the wing.

5 minutes later though we equalised through our new pacey winger. He found himself around the centre circle, passed it out wide and then run into the box for the cross. When it came in the ball was knocked down to him and he volleyed it in. Game finished 1-1. Excellent defensive display which also reinforced my belief that this game is not scripted.

We have now bought Caulker too to reinforce the defence.

Once I get to start the new season I will start posting videos again in the ML thread. One more friendly to go yet.

I was playing yesterday on psp, and i did see the cpu making tactical change and changing formation. So it happens sometimes.

I was playing yesterday on psp, and i did see the cpu making tactical change and changing formation. So it happens sometimes.

It actually happened to me yesterday too. I think it depends on the level. Its funny because there are different levels for the match and also different levels for ML, plus different levels of transfer activity. So much variety :)

Back
Top Bottom