PES 2018 TACTIC ADVICE

Here's a tactics only clip if anyone's after that part only.

I tried to be slower so you can see what changes I've made.

Letting everyone know this is of course in testing phase and still trying out different things. Let me know of any suggestions/feedback.

EDIT: Also try changing all out defense to frontline pressure if that helps more. And give compactness a point or 2 less to test things out.

Last edited:
Haven't tried it yet, but the videos look fantastic, Lami. The AI giving up so much space is killing this game so well done. Just need to get the message to option file makers.

here my first tweak before simulate the first game

i forgot to change the level so i simulate cpu vs cpu on medium... (never played at those level)
result after first half (only torino is tweaked)

here my first tweak before simulate the first game

i forgot to change the level so i simulate cpu vs cpu on medium... (never played at those level)
result after first half (only torino is tweaked)
Did that work for you?

Did that work for you?
yeah a little, but i wanna try with both the teams, was only my first trial (neither touched my gamepad). but it's the generic settings that i use

unsadly i've started to upload data files so i can't put the rest of my video and i'm also really tired , i need to sleep.
Tomorrow (thaT means when i wake up) i will make torino and milan match tweaking both (maybe with the updated game and rosters)

Last edited:
just to not annoying people on different thread thnks to@Matt10 for his video :)

This is great. I only had time now to do a little adjustment, went into simple settings and set Swansea's to "all out attack", and they played much, much better in attack, they actually passed the ball around looking for openings, and not once did they hit it long out on the flanks! Not once! Not to mention they started pressuring me way higher up the field. Definitely a good start to balancing out this year's game. Great work, guys. Much appreciated! :)

Here's a tactics only clip if anyone's after that part only.

I tried to be slower so you can see what changes I've made.

Letting everyone know this is of course in testing phase and still trying out different things. Let me know of any suggestions/feedback.

EDIT: Also try changing all out defense to frontline pressure if that helps more. And give compactness a point or 2 less to test things out.
I'll be testing a smaller team vs Milan
Will go with spal,trying to make them play very conservative and defensively with counter attack and long balls
Then see how they play with a frontline pressure/short pass etc

I just wanted to thank you all for your hard work in tactics.

Also, I wanted to say that I discovered playing all out defense and counter attacking... And enjoying it. Lovely game imo.

My upload/YouTube is shit,so I'll try to explain
Played vs Spal (70 ovr)
First set up 3-5-2 tight condensed MF
Att instr: counter attack/long pass/centre/maintain 3 support range
Def:all out/middle/conservative 1 defensive line/compactness full
Adv instr: wing back/deep defensive line

Very passive,hard to break down though,you had to cross to get anywhere near goal.
Played an OK offensive game,long/short through the middle.
To easy around the wings

2nd set up
Possesion game/short/centre/maintain 3 clicks supp range
Frontline pressure/middle/aggressive/ 1 click def line/compactness 7 clicks
Wing backs

Tough to create,since they pressed me high up,being on manual and not getting it right atm,hard to pass through,will be able to do that with fast passing a bit later on
Much more aggressive on the flanks,drew three freekicks there
Don't think this would suit a smaller team vs a skilfully team,they'll pass right through you

3rd set up and the best for a small club
Counter attack/short pass/wide/maintain 3 clicks supp range
All out defence/with frontline pressure on a secondary tactic (fluid nr 2/3)wide/aggressive/1-2 click def line/5 -7 clicks compactness/wing back/deep defensive line

This was tough to play against,compact,yet aggressive on the flanks,and getting caught deep in their zone,they counter on you
Didn't press me before the half way line,but did it after it,on the flanks,and also around the middle outside the box
I will set up teams 15-20 in Serie A like this.
More skilfully teams,less defensive and pressing aggresive higher up
Nowhere near being as sharp as you guys on this,but I saw some good playing in this

My upload/YouTube is shit,so I'll try to explain
Played vs Spal (70 ovr)
First set up 3-5-2 tight condensed MF
Att instr: counter attack/long pass/centre/maintain 3 support range
Def:all out/middle/conservative 1 defensive line/compactness full
Adv instr: wing back/deep defensive line

Very passive,hard to break down though,you had to cross to get anywhere near goal.
Played an OK offensive game,long/short through the middle.
To easy around the wings

2nd set up
Possesion game/short/centre/maintain 3 clicks supp range
Frontline pressure/middle/aggressive/ 1 click def line/compactness 7 clicks
Wing backs

Tough to create,since they pressed me high up,being on manual and not getting it right atm,hard to pass through,will be able to do that with fast passing a bit later on
Much more aggressive on the flanks,drew three freekicks there
Don't think this would suit a smaller team vs a skilfully team,they'll pass right through you

3rd set up and the best for a small club
Counter attack/short pass/wide/maintain 3 clicks supp range
All out defence/with frontline pressure on a secondary tactic (fluid nr 2/3)wide/aggressive/1-2 click def line/5 -7 clicks compactness/wing back/deep defensive line

This was tough to play against,compact,yet aggressive on the flanks,and getting caught deep in their zone,they counter on you
Didn't press me before the half way line,but did it after it,on the flanks,and also around the middle outside the box
I will set up teams 15-20 in Serie A like this.
More skilfully teams,less defensive and pressing aggresive higher up
Nowhere near being as sharp as you guys on this,but I saw some good playing in this

I think I will use your settings for my ML when I discover how to make a backup of the 3 tactics without ruining all the editing on PC version.

Sounds brilliant. I never considered editing only the teams I will play against in my ML. I just hope it wont get boring playing again 3 types of teams. Maybe I will try to add little variations from team to team.

Thanks for sharing!

I think I will use your settings for my ML when I discover how to make a backup of the 3 tactics without ruining all the editing on PC version.

Sounds brilliant. I never considered editing only the teams I will play against in my ML. I just hope it wont get boring playing again 3 types of teams. Maybe I will try to add little variations from team to team.

Thanks for sharing!
That's always good to do,I will edit,or if the big guys in here @Lami and @kilay does it,a bit different with the bigger teams.
But will probably divide the league in 3-4 parts
1 top teams,more aggressive,more off
2 middle teams,balanced
3 bottom teams more defensively

Just test a few games vs a small team,edit it like I did,or like you want,edit again,see if you notice the difference,bet you will,I did.
Think the advanced tactics in def are important in this game

Using the 'wingback' advanced defensive tactic for your opponents makes them attempt to tackle you while you're out there, at least. Have tried it with a few teams now, and I can't run up and down the flanks without being tackled.

Using the 'wingback' advanced defensive tactic for your opponents makes them attempt to tackle you while you're out there, at least. Have tried it with a few teams now, and I can't run up and down the flanks without being tackled.
Spot on mate,add aggressive pressure to that,and it's tough down there.
I used wide as containment area as a test,they pressed you really hard on the wings,not sure if I'll recommend wide all the time,worked fine for me in one game though

Nice, sounds interesting.

One thing that's bothering me is how quickly the CPU regroups and just sprints back into defense once they lose the ball, no matter if they're set to gegenpress and/or high pressure, and have the team thing set to 'all out attack'. They always retreat really deep, and once they get ball (this after having used Matt10's trick from PES 2017 with setting the team attack defense level to a constant), instead of hitting it high out on the flanks, they hit it low to one of the strikers on the right flank, who'll put a throughball through to the other striker, and you'll have to race him back. Happens again and again. Even though I've tried, I haven't been able to set my wingbacks to stay back in defense, because I need them for when this happens, they'll always stray somewhat north, and retreating is always quite slow.

For some reason, my team isn't able to retreat nowhere near as fast as the CPU, no matter what setting I use. I should probably experiment some more with it, obviously, but it's making the game a bit unbalanced at the moment.

I've also noticed something very weird with positioning when using fluid formations. I had Llorente set to defend as a CM when out of possession, but set him as a CF when in possession - yet, he just remained around central midfield, doesn't even look interested in joining the rest of the team in attack when we have the ball. I can pass it around forever, and he'll just stay in midfield. I've noticed the same with Alli, when I had him as an AM. Often he would just lurk around central midfield even though we had the ball in offensive positions. I had the camera on 'blip' just to really see what the hell happened. Made little sense. Maybe some conflicting instructions somewhere or something doing it.

One thing that's bothering me is how quickly the CPU regroups and just sprints back into defense once they lose the ball, no matter if they're set to gegenpress and/or high pressure, and have the team thing set to 'all out attack'. They always retreat really deep, and once they get ball (this after having used Matt10's trick from PES 2017 with setting the team attack defense level to a constant), instead of hitting it high out on the flanks, they hit it low to one of the strikers on the right flank, who'll put a throughball through to the other striker, and you'll have to race him back. Happens again and again. Even though I've tried, I haven't been able to set my wingbacks to stay back in defense, because I need them for when this happens, they'll always stray somewhat north, and retreating is always quite slow.

For some reason, my team isn't able to retreat nowhere near as fast as the CPU, no matter what setting I use. I should probably experiment some more with it, obviously, but it's making the game a bit unbalanced at the moment.

I've also noticed something very weird with positioning when using fluid formations. I had Llorente set to defend as a CM when out of possession, but set him as a CF when in possession - yet, he just remained around central midfield, doesn't even look interested in joining the rest of the team in attack when we have the ball. I can pass it around forever, and he'll just stay in midfield. I've noticed the same with Alli, when I had him as an AM. Often he would just lurk around central midfield even though we had the ball in offensive positions. I had the camera on 'blip' just to really see what the hell happened. Made little sense. Maybe some conflicting instructions somewhere or something doing it.
That's interesting,not to be long here,but conflicting instruction seems likely
Especially if they have different roles within the same tactic,one not in possession,and something completely different when in possession

Last edited:

this is what i want, people that speak about tactics and positions... I'm clear, i didn't try nothing of different on my game ,i would wait the KONAMI live/DLC update (you are just a band of liars), if not all the improve could be lost in the space
But my great feedback are my Fifa friends... they bring me the absloute feedback, gameplay of 2017 is better of 2018 , for sure (at least my dt18 from alex .. maybe).
Usually they play versus CPU in a lot of different way.. so is really beatiful se how the IA try to contains them, and i love see them from a diffenret prospective..

Italy vs Morocco in 2018 first game of my friend goes on 1-1 no fouls
Italy vs Morocco in 2017 goes on 1-2 and Morocco doesn't cheat too much
Both over superstars
second game played kilay vs my friend 0-1 so he wons , but when we have tried to dribble someone (also with lower team) all lost sense, so PLEASE FIX Pressure, now is a shame, with a player with a good dribbling i can footing on the field wherewhere i want
Also animation on intro, coutinho seems to be a wizards when he dribbles, no one stopper is dumb like this one (sorry i didn't remeber the name or the match )
Anyway 2017 gameplay is better than 2018 , over all, not yet tried but probably i would try to replace the pes 2018 with mine of 2017, maybe that could change a bit the system.

Last edited:
this is what i want, people that speak about tactics and positions... I'm clear, i didn't try nothing of different on my game ,i would wait the FUCKING KONAMI live/DLC update (you are just a band of liars), if not all the improve could be lost in the space
But my great feedback are my Fifa friends... they bring me the absloute feedback, gameplay of 2017 is better of 2018 , for sure (at least my dt18 from alex .. maybe).
Usually they play versus CPU in a lot of different way.. so is really beatiful se how the IA try to contains them, and i love see them from a diffenret prospective..

Italy vs Morocco in 2018 first game of my friend goes on 1-1 no fouls
Italy vs Morocco in 2017 goes on 1-2 and Morocco doesn't cheat too much
Both over superstars
second game played kilay vs my friend 0-1 so he wons , but when we have tried to dribble someone (also with lower team) all lost sense, so PLEASE FIX Pressure, now is a shame, with a player with a good dribbling i can footing on the field wherewhere i want
Also animation on intro, coutinho seems to be a wizards when he dribbles, no one stopper is dumb like this one (sorry i didn't remeber the one)
Anyway 2017 gameplay is better than 2018 , over all, not yet tried but probably i would try to replace the pes 2018 with mine of 2017, maybe that could change a bit the system.
That's interesting,not to be long here,but conflicting instruction seems likely
Especially if they have different roles within the same tactic,one not in possession,and something completely different when in possession
all of you try to have a clean game, so put att/def on green/green and remove any advanced instructions , and also all COM styles (i know is a long road but is the only way to understand the logic)

all of you try to have a clean game, so put att/def on green/green and remove any advanced instructions , and also all COM styles (i know is a long road but is the only way to understand the logic)
How do I force green/green on CPU?

Hey guys.

So far i enjoy the gameplay. Same problems as last year like press etc and same tweaks. Make every team that presses a high frontline pressure, aggressive. The wide or center pressure i change it according to formation

Cf : 433 center, 4231 wide, 422 wide, 3atb wide etc.

Physical teams on defense give them a more compact def shape. Offensive teams high d line. Same as last year use the all out defense only for counter attacking teams.

Most teams should use the possession based tactic, only mid to bottom table should use counter attack or teams that really play only like that. If you want fast build up similar to counter attack football but still want them to play good possession based then just change the support range to a higher value (less support). For example i set Chelsea at 7 support, possession tactic and it's perfect. 7 for compactness too and 5 for d line.

If you want to olay a 442 with high fullbacks i suggest the new advanced instruction that acts almost as the overlapping fullbacks used too, EXCEPT there won't be a midfielder always staying with the CBs so this is great. I don't know the english name but a traduction from my language would be fake wingers, or inside wingers. If you feel like the wingers positioning is not what you want change them to AMFs. For monaco it is perfect (bernardo and lemar always closer to the center while sidibe and mendy push forward close to the touch line.

Does someone have feedback on the new defensive instruction? Does it allow wingbacks to track back even if they play as wide midfielder?

I found a way to replicate 3atb on pes 2017 a week ago, for a system like Chelsea (343)
Overlapping fullback + David Luiz as DMF, kante baka as CMs and Hazard/Pedro as SS, close to the CF.
Keep Alonso and Moses as fullbacks, nit wide midfielder because they'll act like midfielders anyway with the overlapping instruction. Also they'll always stay wide and make good wingbacks call for the ball, always hugging the touchline unlike if they play as wide midfielders.

Someone knows how to make IA chose the advanced tactics you want it to use? Just selecting them for the team in edit mode is working?

If any of you, using the Siuming Option File that was released yesterday, can share your Option File/Edit with these advanced tactics already implemented, that would be a wonderful time-saver for us! I'm dying to have these in my game, but I really want to play the game instead of edit it.

Don't hate me for being lazy!

Advanced tactics we manually edit are unfortunately not working for IA teams. Like last year. Shame, given how much we could change the gameplay for the better by reproducing each team gamestyle.

Btw kilay we also can't edit them through edit file gameplan, the 2 lines we spotted last year were for the manually activated instruction and are therefore also ineffective for IA controlled team.

It's clearly somewhere else. I suspect no i'm sure that there is much more possibilities to edit than just select up to 4 instructions, there also has to be triggers like team is loosing, team get caught in behind too often, team gets caught on crosses too often, team doesn't have enough width, time triggers, lack of possession triggers. Adaptive IA is all about those instructions nothing else i think. But it's not just adaptive, because some teams will always use specific instructions like gegenpress for lfc. Those seem to get triggered only for specific teams. I wish we could find where it is, any specialist on finding stuff like this and alter it?

Back
Top Bottom