New cloud service offering 20GB for new users.

Placebo

Ԁlɐɔǝqo
3 May 2003
Orrefors, Sweden.
Sheffield Wednesday
I stumbled onto a new cloud service similar to dropbox but offers much larger with a free account. It includes a really clean looking desktop and mobile app with full support.

If you sign up under my referral link we both get an extra 5GB. (new account 15GB then 5gb when linked to a mobile device) https://copy.com?r=Ilsp42

If you want to sign up but don't want to help me or yourself you can do that too. (new account non referral 15GB) https://copy.com

I provide both links to give you the choice as I don't want to shove referral links down everyone's throat. ;)

When it comes to making backups of your personal data, remember 3 things. Redundancy, Security, and Encryption.

~Just figured I'd share this with anyone who missed getting in on other cloud launch promotions.

I stumbled onto a new cloud service similar to dropbox but offers much larger with a free account. It includes a really clean looking desktop and mobile app with full support.

If you sign up under my referral link we both get an extra 5GB. (new account 15GB then 5gb when linked to a mobile device) https://copy.com?r=Ilsp42

If you want to sign up but don't want to help me or yourself you can do that too. (new account non referral 15GB) https://copy.com

I provide both links to give you the choice as I don't want to shove referral links down everyone's throat. ;)

When it comes to making backups of your personal data, remember 3 things. Redundancy, Security, and Encryption.

~Just figured I'd share this with anyone who missed getting in on other cloud launch promotions.

Security in cloud storage??? one thing to Remember when backing up personal data, NEVER backup to the public cloud. If a company with the $$$$ of Sony cant keep your data safe , WTF makes you think some rinky dink Dropbox service will...

Security in cloud storage??? one thing to Remember when backing up personal data, NEVER backup to the public cloud. If a company with the $$$$ of Sony cant keep your data safe , WTF makes you think some rinky dink Dropbox service will...
That's a legitimate concern, although cloud providers do have an obligation to respect your privacy and must have strong security for the sake of their business. When trusting third parties with confidential data it is always a good idea to be on the safe side and use further encryption though as Placebo mentioned in the OP.

Here is a pretty comprehensive article/tutorial;
How To Add a Second Layer of Encryption to Dropbox - LifeHacker

Unless you have a government agency after you, TrueCrypt should offer more than enough protection. Even if so, you should be fine;
FBI hackers fail to crack TrueCrypt - Techworld

All that said, I've very rarely used cloud storage - I have Dropbox which has been useful for group assignments by using shared folders but personally I tend to just use my 16GB USB drive for most documents/projects and my 500GB external hard drive for anything requiring more space. The file transfer rates are quicker and there are less security risks (although encryption negates 99% of that issue), the only problem being that you could lose/damage those devices... Always back up important stuff in 2 or 3 places.

Cloud storage is very useful though if you do a lot of work on a PC and need quick access to those files on another device like a smartphone/tablet or vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your forgetting the first place to look for an intrusion... Within the cloud service provider itself, someone who already has access... Yes encryption beyond what is there is a good idea.
But a better idea to minimize risk is to not put financial data or personal identifiable data in someone else's hands if possible...

Of course, intrusion at that level is why I suggested encryption - it's not wise to 100% trust a cloud provider's own security.

There's almost zero chance of someone getting into your cloud account (strong password)/hacking the servers and then getting through your TrueCrypt encryption, bordering on impossible if you use keyfiles and a strong password.

I wouldn't miss out on a potentially useful service due to security risks that barely even exist.

Back
Top Bottom