Microsoft Xbox One X

Stolen from elsewhere, this made me chuckle!

dcwqghgxyaaei5x.jpgor50su0.jpg

I'll get one but not now. Considering I don't buy games on release anymore. It's probably better as I'd have more time seeing how it'll support current games (auto-boost?) and upcoming enhancements. Apparently everything should play better on the X, even OG Xbox games. Possibly a better deal later with a game bundled.

Plus I just bought a Nintendo Switch and I'm broke and need to pay for my car rego and insurance later this year ;)

Opted for the PS4 at the very start, but fancy upgrading to the Xbox One X.

Never bothered with the PS4 Pro, but I want a slice of the 4K action so good opportunity for me to make the jump.

Console is finally available to pre-order for £450 from most retailers.

Amazon have sold their allocation already.

I pre-ordered it but still debating due to lack of exclusive games from Microsoft.

Pre-ordered the Project Scorpio edition last night and hate myself for it.

I don't see the point. All the cross-platform games will look just the same on the XB1X as the PS4 Pro, devs aren't going to be arsed making it look prettier on one than the other - and I have less than zero interest in Microsoft's exclusives. Sea of Thieves is a cartoon, Cuphead is a cartoon, State of Decay is essentially an indie game (and a done-to-death concept). 4K isn't needed for any of them.

Switching to it also means having a library split between the two consoles. I might even have to sell the PS4 Pro and the PSVR to afford it, then buy back half the games (not that anyone seems to be interested in making anything other than mini-games for PSVR, so that won't be a loss).

I feel like it's swings and misses everywhere in gaming at the moment. PS4 Pro was what the PS4 should have been, yet I don't feel a massive benefit from upgrading. This Xbox will be the most powerful console ever made, yet most games won't take advantage of it (particularly not the processing power) because, why bother.

FIFA players feel like steering tanks, PES is so boring off-the-pitch.

I can't even find a decent 4K TV that doesn't have a major flaw.

Gaming is really losing its appeal for me.

I agree the PS4 Pro should of been the PS4, but also the Xbox X is the console the Xbox One should of been at launch.
The console manufacturers massively messed up with the original consoles and made them so incredibly underpowered by putting in notebook processors and at the time 2 year old mid range graphics cards.

I also believe that games will look better on the Xbox X than the PS4 Pro though, as games look better on the PS4 than they do the Xbox One, even if it is barely noticeable.

However I expect the Xbox X to be able to produce very close to PC graphics @1080p, since it basically has the equivalent of a RX 580 / GTX 1060 inside.
I don't know why consoles at present though are trying for 4K gaming as it is still not achievable for the price range of consoles, and only possible on PC with a £700 card.
They should be 4K display though as although I still think the actual percentage of people owning 4K TV's is probably less than 5%, and people who stream in 4K to be much smaller. It is very nice to have the option of 4K Netflix and a 4K bluray drive - something massively lacking from the PS4 Pro.

The consoles are now at the stage they should of been on initial release, able to produce near PC graphics in HD @60FPS.

Interesting - Microsoft claim that the Project Scorpio edition is the most pre-ordered Xbox ever. I find that pretty amazing, given that it's a more expensive version of what you can already get.

Eurogamer: Microsoft says Xbox One X is fastest-selling Xbox pre-order ever

I think it is down to the fact people are actually willing to pay good money for something which is actually powerful.

MS Xbox One X is acually good. You can't build a PC with that price. I thought we could, but in reality it isn't.

Don't even bring up buying used hardware. Cause if we buy used hardware, then we must compare it to a used Xbox One X.

I think High end PC is the only choice. And maybe low end PC that costs less than console. Unless you're hardcore PC gamer, theres no point in buying mid range PC at current state. Maybe next year.

The Xbox One X, in graphic terms is way ahead of the PS4 PRO..

Since the Xbox One uses Windows 10 and Direct X, it will also be incredibly easy for developers to incorporate a graphical boost, as it will be effectively using the PC code with a simple CFG file to know which system you have.

But in short there should be massive day and night difference between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X - The Xbox One X should be able to produce near high end PC visuals - The PS4 Pro doesn't come remotely close to PC.

Last edited:
But in short there should be massive day and night difference between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.
Only if developers go the extra mile to provide it. Otherwise, there won't be. That's the obvious concern.

I don't want to spend this much on a box that's capable of amazing things but only does them on the exclusives, because frankly, I don't care about any of the exclusives (nor Shadow of War).

The guys behind Project Cars 2 have said it looks and performs much better on the X so that'll be the first thing I buy (on disc) and if it's barely any different, I'll know what the score is and send it all back.

Only if developers go the extra mile to provide it. Otherwise, there won't be. That's the obvious concern.

I don't want to spend this much on a box that's capable of amazing things but only does them on the exclusives, because frankly, I don't care about any of the exclusives (nor Shadow of War).

The guys behind Project Cars 2 have said it looks and performs much better on the X so that'll be the first thing I buy (on disc) and if it's barely any different, I'll know what the score is and send it all back.

I think because the Xbox X, uses the same technology as PC, I would assume it would be much easier for developers to incorporate the graphical update, like on PC it is just a simply config file.

The PS4 Pro needed developers to patch games and make changes to the code for them to work properly, hence the severe lack of PS4 Pro patched games.

What bsmaff is saying makes sense. If it is only a matter of a config file to determine the hardware you have e.g. Base Xbox One or S or X then that will make developers lives easy to get the best results (theoretically speaking).

What bsmaff is saying makes sense. If it is only a matter of a config file to determine the hardware you have e.g. Base Xbox One or S or X then that will make developers lives easy to get the best results (theoretically speaking).
Yeah, but those best results (4K textures and higher polygon models) have to be created first, and only one console will be able to cope with them (the PS4 Pro is all about upscaling, not actual 4K assets).

Developers will have to decide whether they're going to create those fantastic-detail assets, then make big changes to pack them onto a PS4 Pro, then a standard Xbox and a standard PS4 (that stuff isn't all just "drag the slider down", there is manual work in there making sure that lower polygon models etc. look right and more besides)...

Or, whether they make them for a PS4 Pro and then scale it down, because there's less of a "jump" and less work involved, then port the PS4 Pro version over to the Xbox One X as-is. Or even just putting native 4K in instead of upscaled 4K, with no other changes, to give the feel of there being some effort.

Until we see a fair few cross-platform games released for it, I'm sceptical.

I keep looking at the list of games for it and I'm really not feeling any of it, other than maybe Project Cars 2 (but the more I see the graphics - which is what I'd expect to get the biggest upgrade - the less impressed I am).

What makes me really hate myself is that I'm most looking forward to the upgrades to the backwards-compatible games. Look at the difference in Fallout 3 (which I will now have to play again):

eXTopSe.png

There's more in the original Digital Foundry Xbox One X article.

From what little X patches are available at the moment, sites are reporting that a lot of games just look exactly the same as they do on the PS4 Pro, which was my fear. I've bought the X to do more, not be the same.

I just wish there was something I was really looking forward to - other than Fallout 3 and Oblivion...

I keep looking at the list of games for it and I'm really not feeling any of it, other than maybe Project Cars 2 (but the more I see the graphics - which is what I'd expect to get the biggest upgrade - the less impressed I am).

What makes me really hate myself is that I'm most looking forward to the upgrades to the backwards-compatible games. Look at the difference in Fallout 3 (which I will now have to play again):

eXTopSe.png

There's more in the original Digital Foundry Xbox One X article.

From what little X patches are available at the moment, sites are reporting that a lot of games just look exactly the same as they do on the PS4 Pro, which was my fear. I've bought the X to do more, not be the same.

I just wish there was something I was really looking forward to - other than Fallout 3 and Oblivion...

FiFA 18 has better draw distance of 3D grass on Xbox One X compared to Ps4 pro and even PC.

Pricey, but nice looking console. Gonna wait for Playstation 5 though.

Be waiting a while then.

But I am looking forward to it.

Games hopefully won't look rubbish, going from a PC to console - Given the power of the Xbox X, I am really hoping the graphical experience is very very close to PC.

Has UHD Blu-ray, runs Windows 10 OS and not the really shitty OS with no features of the PS4.

Xbox is going to support Keyboard and mouse for games, which will make a massive difference for me - Have no idea, how people can play FPS games on controllers.

The only downside is exclusives, but then PUBG is coming to Xbox in December, and with that being so massive on PC, it will really help Microsoft shift Xbox's.

No doubt that this is a fantastic console. The reviews from some respected tech journos are very positive. However I won't be buying it mainly because for the price that Microsoft are charging they need to have a killer line up of exclusives which sadly they do not have. Hopefully they announce some exclusives over the next 12 months so that I can buy this next year.

Just had an email off DPD (and GAME) to say it's going to be delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Back
Top Bottom