Football Manager 2018

Football Manager is now available to purchase on the Steam store and if you purchased FM 2017 they are giving owners a 25% discount on FM 2018.

Features for the game will be released at some point in September.

New Features video:-

I have not watched yet but someone else's opinion from comments.
Things I noticed in the video:

- 3D looked much "cleaner" than FM17
- Medical center. A place to get more (detailed) physio reports? Help to avoid injuries?
- Hierarchy. A more detailed team feeling? Leaders other than captains?
- Social groups. For players? "Friends play better together"? Making sure or a "togetherness" in the squad?
- Better scouting reports
- Scouting "packages". To increase knowledge of players based on certain criteria?
- "Attribute cards". To help out with picking the team?

I can't say I'm hugely excited by the new features - that "dynamics" bit seems weird to me, as a manager I wouldn't be wanting to know who hangs out together, seems a bit OTT - but what do I know, I haven't played it yet.

Either way, really enjoyed 17 after a rocky start and I'll be getting this (although I'm worried my little Surface Pro might not cope this time around).

Can't wait for FM18. I had no time to play FM17 when it released and ended up skipping it all together. Not gonna happen this year!

Purchased it on Steam weeks ago.

I hope (hopeless! :D ) they improve the visuals in the game (3D match) as the stadium textures are terrible for a game made in year 2017 and also considered the best in the genre.

One of my dreams is to see the Football Manager series combine the graphic engine, gameplay of PES. A fan view camera would be enough, I don't want to see custom player faces, it's not what this game is about.

One of my dreams is to see the Football Manager series combine the graphic engine, gameplay of PES. A fan view camera would be enough, I don't want to see custom player faces, it's not what this game is about.
:BORED: You want to see state of the art graphics for stadiums, but face graphics "aren't what the game is about"?!

The game "isn't about" graphics, full-stop! Yes the graphics could be 1,000x better, but the stadiums replicate the real ground layouts pretty well. I'd rather have the complete set of Football Manager stadiums in PES than a set of 20 very pretty ones to see over and over again, in every game, no matter what country you play in!

:BORED: You want to see state of the art graphics for stadiums, but face graphics "aren't what the game is about"?!

The game "isn't about" graphics, full-stop! Yes the graphics could be 1,000x better, but the stadiums replicate the real ground layouts pretty well. I'd rather have the complete set of Football Manager stadiums in PES than a set of 20 very pretty ones to see over and over again, in every game, no matter what country you play in!

Agree FM isn't about the graphics at all, except the in-game graphics, as the game looks very bland and awful with plain logos.

I like the fact the stadiums are all built using a script, which is dependant on the capacity - Some real stadiums might add something to the experience when playing in the Champions League, but in the lower leagues it is a massive breath of fresh air to play at different stadiums, rather than oh this week I am at Town Park again.

I was a bit miffed/put off buying this because of the shady practices about the discount they offered.

They offered this discount for pre-ordering when there was pretty much ZERO information about new features or improvements whatsoever, encouraging people to go in blindly... And then only give any indications right after this discount has ended.

Why not show their hand and let people make an informed decision?

I was a bit miffed/put off buying this because of the shady practices about the discount they offered.

They offered this discount for pre-ordering when there was pretty much ZERO information about new features or improvements whatsoever, encouraging people to go in blindly... And then only give any indications right after this discount has ended.

Why not show their hand and let people make an informed decision?

Because there's absolutely no competition and they don't even have to make an effort. A fate I think will happen to football games once PES goes down the drain sadly.

Because there's absolutely no competition and they don't even have to make an effort. A fate I think will happen to football games once PES goes down the drain sadly.
PES itself already does it with the Maradona pre-order bullshit, there's no way to get him in-game after release now right?

FM is a tried and tested formula, you know what you're getting I guess.... But still, I'd rather they just said what they changed, what their vision is etc than to just leave you in the dark and ask for money. On principle I would rather not support this shit.

Pre-ordered and I'll be on the beta tonight, I just couldn't get my 2017 Tranmere team to win on a consistent basis. Top of the league at the start of two seasons, only to crumble in the second half of the season, and I was sacked last night after a draw and a defeat in the first two games of the third season.

So, fuck you 2017 Tranmere, hello 2018 beta Tranmere. :D

Here's hoping I can get it to run on my ageing Surface Pro 3...

I personally have not attempted to play the game yet, your Surface Pro 3 should be fine.

I was going to start a game tonight, whilst the Mrs watches the bake off.
Most probably will start with Man Utd though, as don't like starting a game with Exeter until I know how to roughly get a semi-working formation and style of play + the game is normally pretty buggy until they release the 2nd patch, even the day one doesn't fix that much.

I'm pretty surprised at the positive comments so far, I searched Twitter earlier for #footballmanager2018 and most people have nothing but praise for it. Don't remember it being that way last year!

But of course, there will be lots of bugs that don't appear until people have played for days...

Quickly tried to get into a game during my lunch hour but I can't find a way to get a full-screen resolution other than the tablet's native resolution - I usually have to select a really low resolution (I think it was 1368x768 for the last game)...

It's unplayable at 1080p (well, the match engine is), as you can imagine!

EDIT: Oh fuck.

Why have they done that? I'm screwed, now.

Last edited:
We have issues with some of the Surfaces at work with certain programs on them.

We change the resolution to 1440 x 900 for the programs to work properly at a decent viewable size

Really annoying, though - I've got 6-7 games on it (FM17, Civ 5, some Fallout games, some Witcher games)... All work flawlessly, but all of them change the resolution of the screen when running them.

Now I have to change the desktop resolution? For one game? Why, when it was absolutely fine in the previous game?!

There's got to be some way around it... Even if it means having a batch file set up somewhere...

I could install steam on a Surface Pro we have at work and have a look.

But I think it is because FM when in full screen, now runs windowed/borderless, so it looks like it is running full screen when it isn't

I have now updated the 1st post with the latest graphics for FM 2018.

The logos are the only thing which have not been updated yet, so these are using the logos from FM 17.

I will update the graphics when the new versions become available, which will more likely be when the game is fully released and not in BETA.

Spent hours last night trying to get the game to play nicely with the Surface. FM17 was perfect, no problems on low graphics settings. FM18 - I'm having to change my desktop resolution pre-game all the time, and even then it's really weird, with Minecraft levels of detail.

Really don't want to have to swap the Surface for a laptop - really love it - but it doesn't look like FM18 will play nicely with it.

Spent hours last night trying to get the game to play nicely with the Surface. FM17 was perfect, no problems on low graphics settings. FM18 - I'm having to change my desktop resolution pre-game all the time, and even then it's really weird, with Minecraft levels of detail.

Really don't want to have to swap the Surface for a laptop - really love it - but it doesn't look like FM18 will play nicely with it.

I will try it on a spare Surface 3 I have at work later today and see what issues it has and if they can be resolved.

The only thing I can see wrong with the Surface is that the screen is native 4K, which also worries me as I recently purchased a 4K monitor.

I do know that some of the guys have issues with the Surfaces at work with certain applications, mainly Remote Desktop and some of our older systems.

I will try it on a spare Surface 3 I have at work later today and see what issues it has and if they can be resolved.

The only thing I can see wrong with the Surface is that the screen is native 4K, which also worries me as I recently purchased a 4K monitor.
If you don't want to run the game at 4K, you either have to change your desktop resolution pre-game (and post-game), or run it windowed.

I find this absolutely batshit mental. Every game I have needs to run at less than 4K. They all let you pick a resolution. Every previous FM did.

But I've asked SI about it and, to their credit, they responded:

I'm afraid the resolution in game will always default to what it's set in your system settings and currently there are no plans for that functionality to change.

I'm amazed more people don't have any complaint about this...

But I've got around it by downloading Setres and creating a couple of desktop shortcuts: one to change to a low resolution, and the other to reset it.

It won't run at FM17's 1368x768 or less, though - the player selection part of the tactics screen just won't fit - so I've had to up it a little (1440x900), and it works. It's not 30fps, but it works, and I don't want to have to abandon the Surface and buy a £600 laptop for the sake of this one game, so...

1440 x 900 is the resolution we have to change all our Surfaces at work too, so that everything functions correctly.

Friday is pretty much my dos day at work, so will get it loaded and working on a Surface tomorrow..

Still have not even loaded and tried the game yet, but will do at some point as need to run a few holiday games to get a half decent base tactic to use - Probably after the Day 1 patch as they always release a big patch Day 1 which fixes bugs and changes a lot of how the match engine works.

1440 x 900 is the resolution we have to change all our Surfaces at work too, so that everything functions correctly.

Friday is pretty much my dos day at work, so will get it loaded and working on a Surface tomorrow..

Still have not even loaded and tried the game yet, but will do at some point as need to run a few holiday games to get a half decent base tactic to use - Probably after the Day 1 patch as they always release a big patch Day 1 which fixes bugs and changes a lot of how the match engine works.
Just downloading all the bits from your site now, ready to make a serious start. Thank you!

Game is officially released tomorrow, and noticed there is updated graphics with the new player/team ID's.

So around lunch time tomorrow I will update the 1st post will all the latest graphics, and the German team fix.

Game is officially released tomorrow, and noticed there is updated graphics with the new player/team ID's.

So around lunch time tomorrow I will update the 1st post will all the latest graphics, and the German team fix.
Thanks as always - been enjoying the beta, although scorelines in the lower leagues are a bit mental (16 goals in the last TWO games I've played in)... Have you had chance to play it?

Back
Top Bottom