FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Inevitable that both games have their faults, PES has some great moments but the lack of fouls, AI pressure and the constant back heels and little flicks by the lower div teams is killing it for me. FIFA is better balanced this year, some great midfield battles and shooting is awesome.

Here are some footie titles with their issues:

FIFA 14:
  • Player Movement is like moving a tank.
  • Less player individuality. You don't see a big difference between good dribblers and bad dribblers.
  • AI Scripting/Handicap/Momentum.
  • No team individuality.

I decided to play football outside now.

Have to disagree with everything except that scripting thingy. 14's the only game which punishes you for being Berbatovey with Mertesacker. You feel the weight, the agility, the skill and the top dribblers stand out more than in every other FIFA title. As far as team individuality goes, custom tactics work perfectly and you can make United spam long balls all day long. 14 gave hope and 15 was absolute shite.

Pes 2018 is better at:
-Passing (speed, feel)
-Ball weight (pass, shoot)
-Ball size
-Pace of the game
-Resembles more with the real sport.

Fifa 18 is better at:
-Footplanting
-Smoothness
-Variety of shooting
-Variety of animations
-Stadium atmosphere
-Sound and commentary
-Detailed graphics
-Cloth and hair animation
-Collisions

Both are good games, noticeable improved this year, but nothing exceptional.

I'm a little disappointed. I pre-ordered PES a month and a half ago... I've played a few games and yes it is a little better than '17 in many aspects BUT.... every time I play the AI is completely one-dimensional. Always attacking with the through pass to the wing. I can always tell what they are going to do.... Not to mention the lack of fouls as stated and the backheels (I had the AI score on: attack from wing, backheel, backheel, score...).

Now I downloaded the FIFA demo. Maybe its because I didnt play the '17 edition too much (I didn't really like it), but it felt like a breath of fresh air... I really don't understand people that say that PES is more SIM and FIFA is arcade. PES right now has some basic flaws that to me make the game stale.

PES is certainly the arcade game of the 2 ..jist end to end constantly due to the wide open spaces..one game against wolves in ML they did about 7 one touch perfect back heels ..just stupid..had one foul in 5 ML games ..fifa this year is far more subtle ..good battles and great movement ..ive pre ordered fifa and if it's as good as the demo I'll sell pes and may try it later when it drops to 15 quid and if patches have sorted out the gaping flaws

Playing Pes 2018 for 3days already and i see that nothing is changed of the game
i am playing againts AI and AI always have 100% shoots and passes
3shoots(3 in goal,3goals) passes 100/98 i can see that after 2011 and 2013 PES is dead and every year they do is maybe little update everything is same my players in 5 meters miss the goal but AI every game 100% shoots they cant miss,goalkeeper is sleeping no mather his rating
Not suprised why Pes before release can be bought for 20euros
In fifa opponents(AI) never had 100 % shoot=goal same for pass and i am playing fifa since fifa 10

Both games have there issues, I'm more of a tactical type of person with formations, what I love about pes, it has player types, box to box, anchor, enforcer,type midfielders for example, whereas FIFA doesn't have that or I can't find it if it's there. Straight out of the box pes is absolute crap, with the right OF it is awesome cos it sorts out all the teams formations and tactics, but I agree needs a patch to fix the underlying issues the game currently has running down the wings no fouls,
Fifa is great but lacks that formation creativity and also noticed in the demo game tends to speed up at times when you have a shot, has been a Fifa issue for years and also a massive turn off with FIFA is the headers there most of the time power headers don't look right, all depends what your after both good games IMO.

Have to disagree with everything except that scripting thingy. 14's the only game which punishes you for being Berbatovey with Mertesacker. You feel the weight, the agility, the skill and the top dribblers stand out more than in every other FIFA title. As far as team individuality goes, custom tactics work perfectly and you can make United spam long balls all day long. 14 gave hope and 15 was absolute shite.

Looking back at FIFA 14 now, yes you are right. Custom tactics do work and teams play differently. I meant to say that for FIFA 15. However when it comes to dribbling, I don't see a lot of difference between a player like Hazard and Mertesacker. There is also catch up bug where Mertesacker catches up with Bale. Other than that, it's a solid game.

Pes 2018 is better at:
-Passing (speed, feel)
-Ball weight (pass, shoot)
-Ball size
-Pace of the game
-Resembles more with the real sport.

Fifa 18 is better at:
-Footplanting
-Smoothness
-Variety of shooting
-Variety of animations
-Stadium atmosphere
-Sound and commentary
-Detailed graphics
-Cloth and hair animation
-Collisions

Both are good games, noticeable improved this year, but nothing exceptional.
Nailed it.

I just can't get used to the pace of FIFA after playing pes. It's always way too fast.

Agree with most of that but the constant end to end in PES, next to no fouls by the AI doesn't really resemble the real sport. PES is more the highlight show. Also PES feels faster to me due to the end to end nature of the games

Agree with most of that but the constant end to end in PES, next to no fouls by the AI doesn't really resemble the real sport. PES is more the highlight show. Also PES feels faster to me due to the end to end nature of the games

Agree.

Don't understand people saying FIFA is too fast compared to PES. Either use the sliders or lower the game speed. Simples.

If end to end results in giving ball away to opponent in many opportunities then need another approach.. unless end to end with goal fest, that's another story.

Both game has opportunity to have end to end but we can reduce them better this year.

PES is end to end due the amount of space on the pitch and the midfield is bypassed nothing to do with how to approach the game. Over the last few years that's been the excuse for various issues in PES, you're playing it wrong

FIFA > PES
Urgh, don't do that, an opinion isn't fact and it's so easy to reverse that:

Your very first point - pass accuracy % is actually lower in PES 2018 than in the FIFA 18 demo (see my screenshots of the AI enjoying 100% pass accuracy on World Class, not even on Legendary, which I've never seen before ever).

Tactics are possibly the most important thing other than skill in football, and tactics are important in PES. In FIFA they've not mattered for years (you can't even see your opponent's last-used formation and can't attempt to counter it).

Etc. etc. etc. (and I say this despite currently looking forward to FIFA)...

Urgh, don't do that, an opinion isn't fact and it's so easy to reverse that:

Your very first point - pass accuracy % is actually lower in PES 2018 than in the FIFA 18 demo (see my screenshots of the AI enjoying 100% pass accuracy on World Class, not even on Legendary, which I've never seen before ever).

Tactics are possibly the most important thing other than skill in football, and tactics are important in PES. In FIFA they've not mattered for years (you can't even see your opponent's last-used formation and can't attempt to counter it).

Etc. etc. etc. (and I say this despite currently looking forward to FIFA)...
so, it's my opinion? Rather than facts? What? Everything i said is 100% true. I didn't say anything about passing.
But overall AI has more error in Fifa. PES AI is perfect. Back heels are OP.

Tactics are possibly the most important thing other than skill in football. Your right about that. Fifa isn't good here.

All i know is after playing Fifa all day i tried PES again, and it seems more arcade to me. Japanese are disappointing me. They make such a great baseball game. They are listening to the noobs. They need Winning Eleven to be different again, more towards simulation.

Trying PES controls coming from manual/semi on FIFA, I am shocked at the amount of assistance given in PES at Level 1. The variety and trajectory of passing looks beautiful in PES, but even at Level 1 assistance I am seeing pinpoint long balls curled with precision around defenders.

Not sure if this is a criticism. It looks great but it can feel arcadey at times. I wish there was a PES assistance level below 1, but not 100% manual.

Looks like another year without buying FIFA.
Had 5 games yesterday with a mate,and it's nowhere near Pes.
Looks good,plays very clunky and non organic.
These two games are miles apart.
And yes,I'm more,much more Pes than FIFA,but I still consider FIFA 16 (except over powered CPU passing) as one of the best games released.
FIFA will FIFA, Pes will Pes,but it's not really a competiton this year.
Still a better game than FIFA 17,but then again,most games are.
I'd probably enjoy this if a was a FUT kid,but I'm not.

i bought both last year (started with fifa and bought pes 17 just some months ago on sale in the psn store)

Already bought pes2018 and am going to buy fifa 18 as well. Both games have some good and bad stuff.
Right now i am playing pes and see some scripting when playing against the bigger teams. It's as if the cpu does not want you to win that game, so your shots and headers are more weak or off target.
Do love the pace of pes, find it much better than fifa (only played the demo so far).

Fifa is a more complete package, but again the pace is alway faster than pes.
Hopefully on slow speed with adjusted sliders i can make it work. I don't play online or any of the other fifa modes besides friendly matches or the occasional cup or season.

So, in the end i will have both games again. Hardest thing is switching between them and getting used to the controls again.

Back
Top Bottom