FIFA 18 DEMO - REVIEWS & OPINIONS

Really liking the demo still. It seems a well balanced game at this point. But what the hell were they thinking with the lighting? The stadiums that look good look very good, but La Bombonera in daylight! Jeez! It's almost like it's cutting my eyes with a blade. So fucking strange.

I swear if this was PES people would hate it here. Passing and shooting is so easy in this game. You don't even have to aim well. You can just spam with passing. In the first few moments of the demo I scored a goal with R1 shooting. The AI is easy on legendary. It's like PES 2016 but with more op skill moves. Yet people here are loving it. I'm confused.

I swear if this was PES people would hate it here. Passing and shooting is so easy in this game. You don't even have to aim well. You can just spam with passing. In the first few moments of the demo I scored a goal with R1 shooting. The AI is easy on legendary. It's like PES 2016 but with more op skill moves. Yet people here are loving it. I'm confused.

its fun and immersive

Cause not everyone wants ultra super realistic simulation you know? Some people prefer fun over realism, including me.

its fun and immersive

Explain. The passing in this game won't get a pass in PES. People would say it's ping pong and would complain until they change it. But here it's fun, and immersive ha! I'm confused. Shooting omg, so easy, like PES 2016, and fans back then were getting so mad at how easy it was and how shitty the goalkeeper. Yet now here it's fine, and feels amazing? Have you guys tried R1 shooting, it's so easy that you would be cracking goals from far distance. If you you're playing against someone that knows how to do skills, you would hate this with passion. I don't see much difference it's like FIFA 17.

Explain. The passing in this game won't get a pass in PES. People would say it's ping pong and would complain until they change it. But here it's fun, and immersive ha! I'm confused. Shooting omg, so easy, like PES 2016, and fans back then were getting so mad at how easy it was and how shitty the goalkeeper. Yet now here it's fine, and feels amazing? Have you guys tried R1 shooting, it's so easy that you would be cracking goals from far distance. If you you're playing against someone that knows how to do skills, you would hate this with passion. I don't see much difference it's like FIFA 17.

Then go play PES?

Like I said, FiFA fans have different taste and preference.

Then go play PES?

Like I said, FiFA fans have different taste and preference.

Sure but I wasn't trying to aim at FIFA fans rather than the PES fans that are showing up here all loving it and then I see them on PES threads, they start talking nonsense. The total opposite of what they want. But all powers to you man, enjoy it.

Play on manual.

You actually think my opponent would play on manual as well? It's a default loss. Even against AI, I haven't tried it but then again I don't see how it's gonna work. But thanks.

Your experience does not jive with my own, nor what many others are having.

Playing on legendary with default assistance settings, I'm not able to ping pong it up the pitch. I agree Legendary feels too easy in the demo and I win almost all my games, but it's not because passing or shooting is too easy. I regularly finish games with passing completion stats in the high 70s to mid 80s, and I miss plenty of shots. Personally I find passing and shooting in PES far far easier. Plus in FIFA, the variety of shots is superb.

For me, both games are way too easy in the middle of the pitch, but that has more to do with a lack of defensive pressure than anything else. Seems like both Konami and EA are intending their games to be pretty open end-to-end affairs; it's fun, but not especially realistic in that aspect.

Not on manual it's not.

I've reached my limit. You have some nerve to come into a thread with the sole purpose of riling people up with your claims of lack of difficulty, while not even challenging yourself. Over the years, I've been so fucking tired of people claiming passing and shooting in FIFA and PES is so easy, yet, they use the most simplistic, automated, and brain-dead control scheme available to them. Yes, of course you can spam passing on assisted; it's called assisted for a reason. Yes, finesse shots are extremely effective. Gee wiz. You can pinball pass in PES as well. That, and FIFA has sliders. User and CPU shot accuracy a bit too high? It can be adjusted.

Manual takes skill, patience, and requires the ability to actually pick out a pass. It also means you have less time on the ball which, in turn, makes you more susceptible to AI counters (due to loose passes) and changes your approach to any given situation. It's just generally more difficult/rewarding to carve out a chance, and finish it when you can't just tap LB + Y in the general vicinity of your teammate and have it magically go to them. Makes ping-ponging your way out of a jam in the back or midfield a little trickier as well. Granted, you can still string together passes quickly on manual if you're decent.

I've seen this all over the place. "I beat the AI on SUPER-DUPER-EXTREME DIFFICULTY 20-0! Game is piss easy! Of course, I was using controls that essentially a small child could utilize, but despite being able to change that, I'm still going to complain that it's too easy!" Tired of it. It's like claiming you're amazing at bowling, but all you do is play bumper-bowling. It's also like saying your balance on a bicycle is unrivaled, but you refuse to take off the training wheels.

You actually think my opponent would play on manual as well? It's a default loss. Even against AI, I haven't tried it but then again I don't see how it's gonna work. But thanks.

Proved my point as you've never even attempted it. While I wouldn't want to play manual in something like FUT, I did play 2v2 co-op seasons with a friend on full manual and we won quite a few Division 1 titles. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
Not on manual it's not.

I've reached my limit. You have some nerve to come into a thread with the sole purpose of riling people up with your claims of lack of difficulty, while not even challenging yourself. Over the years, I've been so fucking tired of people claiming passing and shooting in FIFA and PES is so easy, yet, they use the most simplistic, automated, and brain-dead control scheme available to them. Yes, of course you can spam passing on assisted; it's called assisted for a reason. Yes, finesse shots are extremely effective. Gee wiz. You can pinball pass in PES as well. That, and FIFA has sliders. User and CPU shot accuracy a bit too high? It can be adjusted.

Manual takes skill, patience, and requires the ability to actually pick out a pass. It also means you have less time on the ball which, in turn, makes you more susceptible to AI counters (due to loose passes) and changes your approach to any given situation. It's just generally more difficult/rewarding to carve out a chance, and finish it when you can't just tap LB + Y in the general vicinity of your teammate and have it magically go to them. Makes ping-ponging your way out of a jam in the back or midfield a little trickier as well. Granted, you can still string together passes quickly on manual if you're decent.

I've seen this all over the place. "I beat the AI on SUPER-DUPER-EXTREME DIFFICULTY 20-0! Game is piss easy! Of course, I was using controls that essentially a small child could utilize, but despite being able to change that, I'm still going to complain that it's too easy!" Tired of it. It's like claiming you're amazing at bowling, but all you do is play bumper-bowling. It's also like saying your balance on a bicycle is unrivaled, but you refuse to take off the training wheels.

Proved my point as you've never even attempted it. While I wouldn't want to play manual in something like FUT, I did play 2v2 co-op seasons with a friend on full manual and we won quite a few Division 1 titles. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

I didn't claim I'm amazing at passing, it doesn't need any effort on FIFA anyways. No offense, it's just the way it is. Just like shooting. The difficultly is easy on Legendary, I'm not making it up. I beat them and I don't even know how to do skills on FIFA, I imagine it will be much easier if I did.

I think you should start a tournament and play against others alone on manual. On PES it kinda works cuz passing is not as assisted but on FIFA it's pointless. Coop with friend on same settings is different. Eventually you will see what I mean.

Your experience does not jive with my own, nor what many others are having.

Playing on legendary with default assistance settings, I'm not able to ping pong it up the pitch. I agree Legendary feels too easy in the demo and I win almost all my games, but it's not because passing or shooting is too easy. I regularly finish games with passing completion stats in the high 70s to mid 80s, and I miss plenty of shots. Personally I find passing and shooting in PES far far easier. Plus in FIFA, the variety of shots is superb.

For me, both games are way too easy in the middle of the pitch, but that has more to do with a lack of defensive pressure than anything else. Seems like both Konami and EA are intending their games to be pretty open end-to-end affairs; it's fun, but not especially realistic in that aspect.

Have you tried the full game on PES? Sorry but there is no way passing on PES 2018 is easier than FIFA. Or the fact that shooting is easier. That's just absurd. Maybe you haven't tried blind passing on FIFA cuz it works easily. Or R1 shoots. I don't know how you're playing it, but if that's how you're experiencing it, then well good luck I hope you don't end up playing against others online and see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

i havent played a fifa since fifa 09, so to me its a huge jump in quality on and off the pitch

I didn't claim I'm amazing at passing, it doesn't need any effort on FIFA anyways. No offense, it's just the way it is. Just like shooting. The difficultly is easy on Legendary, I'm not making it up. I beat them and I don't even know how to do skills on FIFA, I imagine it will be much easier if I did.

I think you should start a tournament and play against others alone on manual. On PES it kinda works cuz passing is not as assisted but on FIFA it's pointless. Coop with friend on same settings is different. Eventually you will see what I mean.

The entire point of my tirade was that of course it's easy to play FIFA on assisted, it's assisted. It's always been relatively easy with that control scheme. The online aspect of FIFA has, and will continue to be a shit show (due to assisted controls). I fully admit that. What I took umbrage with is that you seemed utterly baffled as to how anyone could possibly enjoy a game with quote:

"Passing and shooting is so easy in this game. You don't even have to aim well. You can just spam with passing."

Come on now, your implications and messaging here are quite clear. I then countered your absurd claims with manual controls at which point, you really didn't have a leg to stand on in this little debate. To top it all off, you've never even played on manual, so what's your point? Your initial post also accused the users in this thread of having a clear bias when it comes to critiquing both FIFA and PES. Again, I quote:

"I swear if this was PES people would hate it here."

Quite presumptuous, don't you think? You don't speak for me or anyone else. I dislike certain aspects of PES 2018 (mainly the shooting) due the mechanics side of things, not the difficulty. Though, that's neither here, nor there. If there are any other aspects of your post you'd like for me to dissect, I'm happy to oblige.

I agree that assisted passing on FIFA 18 is easy - but it's pretty much exactly the same on PES 2018 (assisted passing, that is), so I don't really see your argument here. Manual passing is definitely not easy on FIFA 18 (nor is it on PES 2018), so again, I fail to see your point. :)

and another thing , if i want to play manchester united v juventus i can only do this on fifa, fuck that trad bricks v black white united or whatever juve are called!!!

im in my late 30s now and like most on here i have family and work commitments that are way more important than spending hours editing konamis incompetence

Wasn't aware of this though! Hope they patch it. :)

and another thing , if i want to play manchester united v juventus i can only do this on fifa, fuck that trad bricks v black white united or whatever juve are called!!!

im in my late 30s now and like most on here i have family and work commitments that are way more important than spending hours editing konamis incompetence
What a BS. 20 min on PS4 and i have edited game. Play United v Juve as well. Yes i have family too ;)

Have you tried the full game on PES? Sorry but there is no way passing on PES 2018 is easier than FIFA. Or the fact that shooting is easier. That's just absurd. Maybe you haven't tried blind passing on FIFA cuz it works easily. Or R1 shoots. I don't know how you're playing it, but if that's how you're experiencing it, then well good luck I hope you don't end up playing against others online and see what I'm talking about.

I have and I find PES the much easier of the two games, and that goes beyond just passing and shooting. It's why each year - though there are tons that I love about PES - I get bored within a month because it feels like way too much of an arcade experience.

But that's just me. I'm not saying my opinion is the truth and the only truth. We're allowed to disagree. To each's own.

I have and I find PES the much easier of the two games, and that goes beyond just passing and shooting. It's why each year - though there are tons that I love about PES - I get bored within a month because it feels like way too much of an arcade experience.

But that's just me. I'm not saying my opinion is the truth and the only truth. We're allowed to disagree. To each's own.

Play on higher difficulty like Superstar or sometimes even Top Player you cant ping pong, that plus legend is even more impossible. On the other hand, I can ping pong pass on FIFA highest difficulty. I just feel there is no logical interception by AI, while you can also blind pass. There is more miss passes on PES 2018 I feel especially when AI pressures you. I think through balls as well on FIFA is easier. I'm not trying to change your opinion but it's clear to my experience. I have played a lot lately with the recent patch. Maybe you didn't experience that yet.

Play on higher difficulty like Superstar or sometimes even Top Player you cant ping pong, that plus legend is even more impossible. On the other hand, I can ping pong pass on FIFA highest difficulty. I just feel there is no logical interception by AI, while you can also blind pass. There is more miss passes on PES 2018 I feel especially when AI pressures you. I think through balls as well on FIFA is easier. I'm not trying to change your opinion but it's clear to my experience. I have played a lot lately with the recent patch. Maybe you didn't experience that yet.

different strokes for different folks

trust me, my editing takes weeks

So which one is it goalgerd?
You don't have time to edit, because you are in your late 30s OR you spend weeks editing?.

With assisted passing you can indeed ping it around even on top player, in my experience. Not so much on Superstar, but there the opponents do the pinging for you. I'm not saying FIFA is definitely the better game this year, need a whole lot more time with it to decide, but so far I think it's been way more rewarding to play, than PES, which to me just seems very unfinished and rough around the edges (high throughballs down the wing ad infinitum, opposition AI almost teleporting from attack into their own sixteen yard box where they'll stay, ML cheat scripting in full effect from match 10 or so onwards).

You don't have time to edit, because you are in your late 30s OR you spend weeks editing?.

Jeez, louise ...

i don't have time to edit for weeks due to my real life

What has konami ever given me for fixing their games for the last 20 years???? fuck all thats what, i don't as a consumer owe them any loyalty

I play on Superstar. Don't get me wrong, passing is wonderful in PES. It feels sublime, and passing has been one of my favorite bits about PES for years, but it's still very easy. It's just easy for different reasons than FIFA. In PES, the space afforded on the pitch allows for easy attacking play. It's fun, beautiful even, but in the end it doesn't satisfy. Not me atleast.

Attacking in both games is a bit too easy, which makes sense since both are designed for action and excitement first and foremost. It shows that neither Konami or EA have invested much in their defensive AI or systems to the level they've done for attack. Yes, ping pong passing is still present in FIFA but it's no where near as bad as it was 5-7 years ago, and while I play on Legendary and do well online, I'm not able to ping pong my way up the pitch all the time, even with default settings.

Played this last night

Positives

Presentation
Commentary

Negatives
Everything else especially the gameplay.
Every year I load up this demo in the hope that it can pull me away from PES as I am pretty tired or pes atm outside of its gameplay

I played assisted controls on the second last difficulty
This game is terrible.
Everything is confined to the midfield there is no time or space to be expressive or gradual on your build up
The game pace is crazy
The shooting feels dead which is a huge surprise coming from the PES thread as I expected it to be much better
I didn't win any free kicks which is another huge surprise
The player individuality is better than previous but still nowhere near pes level. I got motm for players that left me puzzled.
I don't think changing formations makes any difference because the same manic gameplay is there regardless

So based on the demo it's still not there for me.

Played this last night

Positives

Presentation
Commentary

Negatives
Everything else especially the gameplay.
Every year I load up this demo in the hope that it can pull me away from PES as I am pretty tired or pes atm outside of its gameplay

I played assisted controls on the second last difficulty
This game is terrible.
Everything is confined to the midfield there is no time or space to be expressive or gradual on your build up
The game pace is crazy
The shooting feels dead which is a huge surprise coming from the PES thread as I expected it to be much better
I didn't win any free kicks which is another huge surprise
The player individuality is better than previous but still nowhere near pes level. I got motm for players that left me puzzled.
I don't think changing formations makes any difference because the same manic gameplay is there regardless

So based on the demo it's still not there for me.

So you tell people to play manual on PES and then slate everything about FIFA when using assisted, especially the shooting feeling dead?

No, can't take this seriously.

Back
Top Bottom