Everybody's Golf (PS4)

EvolutionSwede

League 2
22 November 2001
Sweden
From eurogamer...

Everybody's favourite golf franchise Everybody's Golf returns with the launch of its latest game - also titled Everybody's Golf - for everybody in Europe on 30th August.

(Everybody in North America, you can buy the game on 29th August instead.)

New features include character customisation, online play and... fishing. And buggy racing. And "treasure hunting". All of which are definitely not golf.

In Japan, Everybody's Golf is named Hot Shots Golf and Sony's golfing series is now 20 years old. To celebrate, you will soon be able to place a pre-order for some in-game bonuses: a 20th anniversary course, premium golf kart, a couple of exclusive costume items and a PS4 dashboard theme.

There will also be a super secret CLOSED BETA later this month, so here's hoping for some news on how to get your hands on that bit of sex.

Anyway, just figured I'd make a thread for those of us who still fondly remember our short-lived adventures on the PS3 version of this, all those years ago. I'm so old.

One of my favourite ever games, especially online.

I even bought the last PS3 Everybody's Golf a couple of months ago because I can't wait (I didn't realise there'd been another game after "World Tour" - there was no marketing for it), but there are never enough people online to play a ranked game... :CRY:

I've signed up for the beta by creating a Japanese PSN account - you just download the "beta raffle ticket", it's free on the store. I'm surprised I've not seen many (if any) gaming websites advising that you can do that...

Off-topic: The Golf Club 2 looks great as well, but the last one became super easy to hit long, straight shots literally 100% of the time once you'd mastered the mechanics (leading to utterly ridiculous scores online, which is my pet hate in a golf game). If it's the same this year, I'll be sticking to EG...

wait, there is another EG on PS3 besides World Tour???

I wish this game was coming out sooner, I'd love to have it as a pop in game during the summer.

wait, there is another EG on PS3 besides World Tour???
I was as shocked as you are. After World Tour they released an Everybody's Golf on Vita and then made a port of it for the PS3, confusingly just called "Everybody's Golf".

It even has Move support - and it's bloody good, too. Here it is on the UK store: Everybody's Golf

I wish this game was coming out sooner, I'd love to have it as a pop in game during the summer.
Me too. At least The Golf Club 2 is out at the end of next month...

i'm passing on TGC2. Game play was horrible on TGC.

EG is top class development, i will play this for years.
i'm pre-ordering this now. $40 here in North America. Wish we got a 9 hole demo, for pre-ordering. Actually that's a great idea:THINK: to increase pre-orders.

Last edited:
i'm passing on TGC2. Game play was horrible on TGC.
I agree, but they're aiming for simulation and it looks much better this time around.

There's still some backwards decisions in there, don't get me wrong. In the career mode, for example, you can't choose to play with an AI you can watch - you just play your 18 holes solo, which I think is rubbish (I'd like to see their shots to give me an idea of how the weather is affecting the ball, for example, which happens in real life). Also, it sounds like multiplayer is the same (you both hit your ball at the same time, it's not turn-based).

Also, you can rename all of the AI players in your career - which is great (you can add in all the PGA players) - but then you can't edit their abilities in any way, so it seems totally pointless (how do you pick who to call what so that they match up with their real-life skillset?). Not only that, there's no way of sharing your edits. So it'll take half an hour to do (and not many will be bothered doing it)...

HOWEVER - the gameplay seems to have seen a big improvement, and I'm really looking forward to it. I just hope they'll listen to the community if enough people agree with what I've written above...

Anyway, Everybody's Golf. I have concerns here too.

Wish we got a 9 hole demo, for pre-ordering. Actually that's a great idea:THINK: to increase pre-orders.
I got onto the beta - you may have done too! That was essentially a 9-hole demo, and yes, I enjoyed it, and I'll probably get the full game. But.

There was no tour to enter, it was just "get the high score of the day on this hole/course" - which was rubbish, because you've got maniacs who were literally getting eagles on every other hole. There was no multiplayer outside of that - @jaygrim got into the beta too and we couldn't play together, we couldn't even get onto the same SERVER.

All of that might be different in the full game, but I have a horrible feeling all of that is because they think that's what we all want, one big interconnected experience, no segregation and no working up the leagues - because last time, the game had so few players in Europe after a few months, you'd find there weren't enough people online in your league to be able to play a league match, and so you'd never be able to play the game again.

Admittedly, that's a problem - but the solution to that isn't "on a 9-hole course, try to score -11, like this basketcase, or you lose".

I LOVE Everybody's Golf - I arranged meetings here years and years ago with Evo-Web members, I absolutely LOVED it! But the innovations so far seem to be... Walk to your shot - who cares? Drive to your shot - who cares? Go fishing - who cares (except for @jaygrim, who's 72)?

I agree, but they're aiming for simulation and it looks much better this time around.

There's still some backwards decisions in there, don't get me wrong. In the career mode, for example, you can't choose to play with an AI you can watch - you just play your 18 holes solo, which I think is rubbish (I'd like to see their shots to give me an idea of how the weather is affecting the ball, for example, which happens in real life). Also, it sounds like multiplayer is the same (you both hit your ball at the same time, it's not turn-based).

Also, you can rename all of the AI players in your career - which is great (you can add in all the PGA players) - but then you can't edit their abilities in any way, so it seems totally pointless (how do you pick who to call what so that they match up with their real-life skillset?). Not only that, there's no way of sharing your edits. So it'll take half an hour to do (and not many will be bothered doing it)...

HOWEVER - the gameplay seems to have seen a big improvement, and I'm really looking forward to it. I just hope they'll listen to the community if enough people agree with what I've written above...

Anyway, Everybody's Golf. I have concerns here too.

I got onto the beta - you may have done too! That was essentially a 9-hole demo, and yes, I enjoyed it, and I'll probably get the full game. But.

There was no tour to enter, it was just "get the high score of the day on this hole/course" - which was rubbish, because you've got maniacs who were literally getting eagles on every other hole. There was no multiplayer outside of that - @jaygrim got into the beta too and we couldn't play together, we couldn't even get onto the same SERVER.

All of that might be different in the full game, but I have a horrible feeling all of that is because they think that's what we all want, one big interconnected experience, no segregation and no working up the leagues - because last time, the game had so few players in Europe after a few months, you'd find there weren't enough people online in your league to be able to play a league match, and so you'd never be able to play the game again.

Admittedly, that's a problem - but the solution to that isn't "on a 9-hole course, try to score -11, like this basketcase, or you lose".

I LOVE Everybody's Golf - I arranged meetings here years and years ago with Evo-Web members, I absolutely LOVED it! But the innovations so far seem to be... Walk to your shot - who cares? Drive to your shot - who cares? Go fishing - who cares (except for @jaygrim, who's 72)?

TGC1 is the worse golf game on PS4 IMO.
I seen game play of TGC2 and putting and chipping looks the same. ( hard to judge putting and chipping distances because of poor game play swing mechanics ). RM PGA Tour has much better game play swing mechanics IMO. TGC2 still has no penalty or option to over swing for extra power like real life. Correct?
Shot shaping (the fun part of golf games) really weak here in development. Why not shot shape (draw fade slice hook) with analog stick direction only? Bringing up a slider tool to do it for you, is just boring and unsatisfying.
TGC2 has improved on everything else though.
i will wait for metacritic.com review on TGC2 before getting it.

Hot Shots has been great over the years.
Everybody's golf looks good, physics, game play mechanics wise, and art design.
putting is rock solid on reading the breaks and distances. plays a good game of golf.
i pre-ordered it. 75 days till unlock..

you seem to know your golf games. I still play Links 2003 and Jack Nicholas golden bear challenge with new HD 1080p patch on PC.

Last edited:
RM PGA Tour has much better game play swing mechanics IMO.
I've never heard anyone praise RM before, wow! I mean, each to their own, but the physics are absolutely crazy! Everything is in fast-forward - the putting is an abomination! The ball moves at 100mph and then puts brakes on! It's designed so that you can get through a round as quickly as possible, not for realism!

What I do like is that they tried to make every course play differently in terms of grass density, green "grip" (for want of a better word) - the dev videos about this are fascinating. They wanted every course to play truly differently, and credit to them for that. But the physics are nothing close to reality!

I mean, in my RM career mode on the hardest settings, I'm winning every tournament by about five shots! It's just aim-and-fire!

TGC2 still has no penalty or option to over swing for extra power like real life. Correct?
No - they added a "hard" mode for driving, which you have to switch on in the settings. If you try to smash the ball and you're literally one pixel out on the swing graph, you'll miss the fairway. But if you take it more slowly, it's more forgiving (but you don't go as far).

If anything, I think it goes a little too far - but I've kept it switched on so that I have to focus for the entire game.

Shot shaping (the fun part of golf games) really weak here in development. Why not shot shape (draw fade slice hook) with analog stick direction only? Bringing up a slider tool to do it for you, is just boring and unsatisfying.
I agree with you here, and the same applies to forward-spin and back-spin too. It's so mathematically perfect (and sterile) that if you look at the distance remaining, you can use that "slider" to hit the perfect shot. It's not realistic - but, they've changed this for the new game, so that you can't just do the maths and win.

you seem to know your golf games. I still play Links 2003 and Jack Nicholas golden bear challenge with new HD 1080p patch on PC.
I've still got Links 2003, not had it installed for a while but I had it patched to the max. BBC commentary, PGA tour roster, you name it. Superb game - I hoped they'd take the Xbox version further, but it didn't sell well.

Tiger Woods 2013 was excellent too - I'd still be playing that if it wasn't for the DLC going missing (due to the Tiger Woods license expiring). Real players, tons of content, great swing system, great career mode (including Q-School qualifying), challenging game.

What I'd do for a new version of that - but from what I've read, EA are taking a break on making golf games for the time-being. As much as I really don't like the last one, I'm gutted about that, because as I say, I loved TW 2013 and if they took a much more serious approach to the game, I think they could achieve something special.

Are they a very small team or something? I must admit I was shocked at how poor the graphics are for a 2017 (or does it come out in 2018?) game.
They are a pretty small team, yeah - HB Studios, 80 people, and I don't think they're all working on this game (plus there's at least one VR version that's a separate entity, with another one likely on the way).

Not only that, but the game is based around a course builder, so everything is built by the community. With everything being made out of building blocks, it's no surprise the graphics aren't amazing.

But, it means 1,000s of actual courses for your career mode (200,000 community courses and at least 1% are excellent)... I'd rather have that than 10 scanned courses that you have to play for a career of 40-odd events! (Also, the new animations are pretty good.)

I think of The Golf Club as old-school PES - without the community it'd be rubbish, but given that they're making a genuine simulation, the final product is great*. (In my opinion...)

*Or at least it will be if they fix the bugbears from the last game... (Oh, it's due out at the end of June!)

HB Studios aren't they the one based in Nova Scotia? Think Nataska came close to applying for them when we left Singapore.
They are! :)

They originally worked on EA's lesser-known sports games, I think there was a rugby one.

Yeah I googled right after! Good to see a smaller dev still battling along, if the career mode is really solid I definitely agree it's much better to have lots of courses than just a few.

I was as shocked as you are. After World Tour they released an Everybody's Golf on Vita and then made a port of it for the PS3, confusingly just called "Everybody's Golf".

It even has Move support - and it's bloody good, too. Here it is on the UK store: Everybody's Golf

Actually I did know about this one, on the Vita that is, where I played it to completion. Great game.

got 40 days till mine unlocks. Should be fun stuff, quality product from Sony. Wish Sony made more sports games like tennis, football, basketball..

Nice of them to let press play with large cups on the green, makes the score a lot better.
Are the other players in the video online players? That would be really neat. One of the dudes talks about playing the previous game on Vita a lot but still hasn't figured out what the rabbit icon means. That's... dude, what???

I hope you can unluck alternative control options right away. I used the closing circle one, on Vita.

Yeah I never played the beta and some of the introductory material didn't necessarily seem all that great, but I need me a new EG.

Yeah I never played the beta and some of the introductory material didn't necessarily seem all that great, but I need me a new EG.
Let us know how it is and I'll jump in if they've not spoilt the formula! I'll be interested to see if tournaments exist in the same league structure with "turn up on this day, this time" instructions - or if tournaments still exist at all (they didn't in the beta), in which case, I'm out!

it's great, very good development and lots to do. Got a nice new DLC course. Characters are great and on PS4pro you can run 60fps. It's great entertainment. Best Everybody's golf game IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom